Flyers vs NYR @ 1pm today

jammer2

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Home game- afternoon holiday-young crowd-should bring out the best in a team- players should be giving thanks for being granted the gift of a gift - the ability to be well paid to play a game they love- that this team sucks in this format goes to the lack of maturity and missing leadership within the group- I would love it if they proved me wrong, but the Rags are too quick for the Flyers right now. Happy Thanksgiving my American friends. If you're reading this you have a lot to be thankful for, minus your gun laws.

From the "you learn something new every day" department, the term "Black Friday" (referring specifically to the day after Thanksgiving) started with the Philly PD:

"Black Friday" is the name which the Philadelphia Police Department has given to the Friday following Thanksgiving Day. It is not a term of endearment to them. "Black Friday" officially opens the Christmas shopping season in Center City, and it usually brings massive traffic jams and over-crowded sidewalks as the downtown stores are mobbed from opening to closing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)#Origin_of_the_term

So I guess it's appropriate that the Flyers are playing today.

I'm gonna go with a 4-3 OT loss.

Laughton gets his first goal, and Jake gets 3 points.

As a side note, was Bellemare with Couturier at one point, or am I just imagining things? If not, I think it would be better for COuturier to have Bellemare over Umberger.

THen we could have the most expensive 4th line in hockey with Umberger/VLC/Rinaldo.

I going with my brother durimg my annual Turkey Day visit from Floroda. I am hoping for a good performance. I'll give an assessment post-game. Meanwhile, I'm workomg out after Wegmans turkey and before cheesesteak.

LGF,

Howie

.s best wishes to all,

I'm gonna go with a 4-3 OT loss.

Thats very optimistic Bre. Based on the fact the Rags shut us out last week, I fear more of the same regardless of if its King Henrik or Talbot in net. Also think Mason will not be able to repeat his Garden performance. 4-0 Rags. Hextall melts down again and pulls the trigger on a trade.

Flyers come out flying, taking the body, setting a savage pace. They clog up the neutral zone taking the speed advantage away from the Rags.

Mason shut out....Flyers 3  Rags 0

Goals from Cooter, Rinaldo and Streit.

From the "you learn something new every day" department, the term "Black Friday" (referring specifically to the day after Thanksgiving) started with the Philly PD:

"Black Friday" is the name which the Philadelphia Police Department has given to the Friday following Thanksgiving Day. It is not a term of endearment to them. "Black Friday" officially opens the Christmas shopping season in Center City, and it usually brings massive traffic jams and over-crowded sidewalks as the downtown stores are mobbed from opening to closing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)#Origin_of_the_term

So I guess it's appropriate that the Flyers are playing today.

Odd. I always thought it derived from stores rolling their ledger over from the red to black over the year?

His speed is off the charts. I used to stream Oceanic games when Crosby played there and McDavid is way faster. They both have elite vision, puckhandling skills etc. Last year McDavids shot was his achilles heel, but it's come a long way with the strength and weight he's added. Crosbys shot has obviously progressed considerably since he came into the NHL. There are definately a lot of similiarities in their games...last year I didn't think there was a chance he (McDavid) could match Sids level, but he's taken his game up several notches. Pretty hard to compare an 18 year old to the worlds best player...but if anyone since Crosby has a chance to be better, this is him. And if you asked me in August I'd have said no way. I still don't think its likely, but it's definately possible.

I was looking for 4 wins this weekend........i've already got one with the Eagles beating the Cowturds.

The 2nd would be the Flyers whooping up on the Rangers today. The 3rd would be adding the sweep of the Rags.

The 4th i hope comes saturday with my Gamecocks beating down the state rivalry Clemson Tigers for the state Championship it's all i got after an underachieving season.

Heres to 4-0!!!!!!!!!!

oh yippee,   :ph34r:

@JimCerny
Nearly four full weeks after suffering seprated shoulder Ryan McDonagh back in #NYR lineup today..and John Moore will be healthy scratch

Well sounds like guys need to finish every check on his shoulder to test it and make sure it can hold up then..............clean hits of course.

His speed is off the charts. I used to stream Oceanic games when Crosby played there and McDavid is way faster. They both have elite vision, puckhandling skills etc. Last year McDavids shot was his achilles heel, but it's come a long way with the strength and weight he's added. Crosbys shot has obviously progressed considerably since he came into the NHL. There are definately a lot of similiarities in their games...last year I didn't think there was a chance he (McDavid) could match Sids level, but he's taken his game up several notches. Pretty hard to compare an 18 year old to the worlds best player...but if anyone since Crosby has a chance to be better, this is him. And if you asked me in August I'd have said no way. I still don't think its likely, but it's definately possible. 

Yeah, I was looking for a comparison of the two at the same age. Apples to apples. It seems clear to me that McDavid's speed is considerably greater than Sid's at the same age, but then again the game is way faster - everybody is faster. 

Cheers. 

Odd. I always thought it derived from stores rolling their ledger over from the red to black over the year?

Apparently that usage didn't start until the '80s, stores didn't like the negative connotations of the term so they started using it themselves in a more positive way. The police and bus drivers started it in the '60s because Center City was such a madhouse.

Everybody is faster..

It's true. The other night, I'm playing D and this young'un on the other team picks up the puck in his end and starts to pick his way through what passes for a forecheck in beer league hockey. I'm not concerned - hell, "he's barely moving" I'm thinking. He picks up some speed through the neutral zone. Ok: I need to back up, won't be able to make an aggressive play in the neutral zone or angle him out.

And then whoosh - he just went by me like I was standing still 

Archived