Flyers Honoring Forsberg

radoran

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should honor his boot as well. Snider and Co. are obviously desperate for positive attention by doing this. He was one of my favorite players, but he was really an Av, not a Flyer.

this is where I am at with it... **IF** you have to do it then wait until the Avs come around.   I just find it a bit odd given his body of work with the Flyers..

If nothing else, it's a continuance of the "mea culpa" on allowing him to be included in the Lindros deal.

As much as Lindros accomplished here and even excluding all the B.S. with the media circus, that was the dumbest deal ever.

It makes Bryzgalov's contract look like a sweet deal.

Imagine trading your starting goalie (wiht no one waiting in the wings), your top 2 d-men and 4 first rounders (Ricci, Forsberg, and 1993 and 1994) PLUS $15 million for a guy who never played a single game in the NHL.

It didn't seem absurb becasue Lindros was so good so soon, but seriously... that was insanely dumb deal.  The only thing that made it worth while was not letting the Rangers get their mitts on him and have Messier teaching him the game of hockey.

And we think Homer made some bone head moves.

As "a Flyer" though, I don't really think I have all that much to "honor".

Here is what I think.  The Flyers Organ-I-zation is in the entertainment business.  They are adding something to honor a former player/captain and entertain people. 

If you're watching on TV and you don't want to see it, change the channel.  If you're at the game and don't care to see it, go get one of those soft pretzels that are on special.

EDIT:  I agree with FD and Murray above.  It would seem more appropriate to do this when the Aves are in town.

Here is what I think. The Flyers Organ-I-zation is in the entertainment business. They are adding something to honor a former player/captain and entertain people.

If you're watching on TV and you don't want to see it, change the channel. If you're at the game and don't care to see it, go get one of those soft pretzels that are on special.

EDIT: I agree with FD and Murray above. It would seem more appropriate to do this when the Aves are in town.

Good thing they're in the entertainment business, because they would suck at the hockey business.

Let me know when they win an Oscar or Emmy or something.

the thing about Forsberg night at a Flyers game....You think that would have ANY bearing on someone deciding between two nights to go to a game, all else being equal?  I don't think so and therefore not too much of a boost marketing-wise.  I would think the cheap pretzels would curry as much buzz in Philly, if not more, than a Forsberg night.

Here is what I think.  The Flyers Organ-I-zation is in the entertainment business.  They are adding something to honor a former player/captain and entertain people. 

If you're watching on TV and you don't want to see it, change the channel.  If you're at the game and don't care to see it, go get one of those soft pretzels that are on special.

EDIT:  I agree with FD and Murray above.  It would seem more appropriate to do this when the Aves are in town.

I'll take this a step further and say that this is all about business.  The Flyers Ed,  and Holmgren specifically had a unique relationship as this organization tried everything to solve the foot issues.   It didn't end the way all had hoped for.   But their relationship has still been strong.  This isn't the first Flyers game Forsberg has been at since retiring.  

Forsberg and his father own a number of businesses including the Modo Arena  where Forsberg is also the Assistant GM.   When you look at the Free Agents the Flyers have signed out of Europe.  Raffl, Bellemare I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were not recommendations from Forsberg.

Thus adding a ceremony in appreciation is all a part of some Flyers future picks and FA, imo.

He's a former Flyer who got into the hall of fame. Why not honor him, even if he played two seasons? He did perform when on ice. He deserves that from every team he played for. And, it's the hall of fame.

Now the problem: why Tuesday night against TB? Stupid marketing.

The guy was here for a cup of coffee. Great player, not a great Flyer. He was only healthy for 30+ games before the foot thing took hold. Mind you, he was amazing in those 30 games, but ya gotta play more games to be honoured by a team. Didn't read through the thread, so don't know if anyone mentioned it, but Peter was one of the very worst divers to ever don a Flyers jersey, to the point it was embarrassing. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Probably had quite a bit to do with Foppa's schedule more than anyone else's.

He's a former Flyer who got into the hall of fame. Why not honor him, even if he played two seasons? He did perform when on ice. He deserves that from every team he played for. And, it's the hall of fame.

Now the problem: why Tuesday night against TB? Stupid marketing.

I get twinges of the same thing when I see 27 and 17 and 22 out there and pound for pound LeClair was probably more historic than any of those guys.

I thought it was really wrong for Raffl to wear 12 right away too, but that's getting easier. Still not quite right.

@radoran I'm still irked when I see other players wearing #10. Johnny L was a man's man.....a true warrior. It's debatable whether they should have retired it, but no one else should be wearing #10...at least not for a few decades.

I may not have the exact number anymore, but what I'll always remember about Tugnutt is that he once lost a game in which he had to make 53 saves for the Nordiques.

If we'd have gotten him in the Lindros deal it would have been a better trade. He wasn't winning is any cups, but at least he was an NHL goalie with experience getting shelled.

What about Ron Tugnutt??

I guess that's what happens when there is nothing else to showcase.  If there are no Cup won in 40 years, they might as well honor good players who *happened* to have passed by.  It's quite pitiful.

The old man doesn't get it either. He actually thinks people want to see this stuff (as often as he does it). It's to the point now that, despite @Podein25's protests, this actually angers most fans. Don't shove this sh-t in our faces when we're not winning, it actually makes us angrier than we would have been if they simply weren't winning.

I guess I'm in the minority because I just don't see anything to get worked up about. It's Peter Forsberg night, everyone gets cheap pretzels, and then we play the Panthers on Thursday.

1. He barely played here, there's nothing to honor. He's not "a Flyer", he just so happens to have played here.

2. The Flyers "celebrate" things all the time. As the kids say today, "It's old."

@Adamflyers and I just had this conversation the other night at the Devils game when we were reminded of this event by the scoreboard. (I am just thankful they are not doing anything really crazy like retire his number)

The "best" thing Footpa did for us as a team was help to net Lindros and now in hindsight it may have been better if we had just held on to him.  The best thing he did as a member of the flyers IMHO was give us this commercial.  

Otherwise yeah he didnt do too much for us when he was on the team besides create a circus atmosphere surrounding his feet.

If you look at what he would have been surrounded with here vs. Colorado, I'm not sure you can really say the team would have fared much better. They are both great players. One of them played with other great players, the other was pretty much the only one on his team for many of his years here.

If you look at what he would have been surrounded with here vs. Colorado, I'm not sure you can really say the team would have fared much better.

If they kept Hextall, Ricci, Duschene and the two first rounders (and Huffman, Simon...), who knows?

They would never have gotten the "bump" that Lindros brought, though.

If they kept Hextall, Ricci, Duschene and the two first rounders (and Huffman, Simon...), who knows?

They would never have gotten the "bump" that Lindros brought, though.

Did anyone from that group help Colorado, or any other team, win a cup or did something really vital for their team outside of Ricci?

Hextall ended up coming back, so we can sort of see how at least he would have panned out here with Fosberg. He's by no means a difference maker. I'm looking at Hextall's numbers btw. Jesus H. Christ people overrate him. A .888 SV% for his career? Duchesne put up good numbers, but I'm not sure he puts the early 90s Flyers over the top. Huffman isn't even a factor and Simon is only a little above that. Maybe it's me, but there's no way I look at that group and think PF has the same kind of success with them as he does in COL.

Jesus H. Christ people overrate him. A .888 SV% for his career? 

Context is everything. These were the 1980s when teams were scoring 5,6,7 goals a game, when goaltending hadn't caught up with the rest of the game, including new stick technology.

Patrick Roy's SV% in the 1980s? 0.898 - that was tops by the way for goalies playing more than 25 games in the decade. Hextall's numbers that you quote were good for 4th. 

Did anyone from that group help Colorado, or any other team, win a cup or did something really vital for their team outside of Ricci?

Hextall ended up coming back, so we can sort of see how at least he would have panned out here with Fosberg. He's by no means a difference maker. I'm looking at Hextall's numbers btw. Jesus H. Christ people overrate him. A .888 SV% for his career? Duchesne put up good numbers, but I'm not sure he puts the early 90s Flyers over the top. Huffman isn't even a factor and Simon is only a little above that. Maybe it's me, but there's no way I look at that group and think PF has the same kind of success with them as he does in COL.

Yeah, I would agree with that. 

The Avs did get Roy for a package that included Thibault (who was one of the 1st rounders).

It's always hard to judge the first rounders because some teams draft better and it's impossible to say that the Flyers would have picked the same guys. Do they take Thibault or an Adam Deadmarsh, for example?

Amusing to recall that the 1994 pick turned into "future Flyer" Nolan Baumgartner.

Context is everything. These were the 1980s when teams were scoring 5,6,7 goals a game, when goaltending hadn't caught up with the rest of the game, including new stick technology.

Patrick Roy's SV% in the 1980s? 0.898 - that was tops by the way for goalies playing more than 25 games in the decade. Hextall's numbers that you quote were good for 4th. 

I completely agree with you on context, which is my point about Lindros/Forsberg, but citing his career SV% isn't exactly unfair. He played most of in the 90s, so it's not like he got cheated out of good numbers due to the era he played in. This is not in-depth, but it's also not wrong: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1412470-50-most-overrated-players-in-nhl-history/page/35. Absolutely great early on, and for a very short period of time, but average for most of his career. I loved the guy as a kid like everyone else, but he's been overrated by the Flyers faithful for years.

If Forsberg had been surrounded by Brindy, Recchi, Ricci, Dineen, Duchesne, Howe and Hextall plus the next two years of first rounders, who the hell knows what he would have done.

If you look at what he would have been surrounded with here vs. Colorado, I'm not sure you can really say the team would have fared much better. They are both great players. One of them played with other great players, the other was pretty much the only one on his team for many of his years here.

Archived