Giroux: Flyers "no doubt" a playoff team

radoran

Yes, I realize that. It doesn't mean players enjoy that part of their job. It's often meaningless in content. Filler.

I actually really respect Lynch for his stand against the media, if you will. It's all a dog and pony show and it's peddling bullshi*t. Everyone knows, or should know, that talk doesn't mean anything. 

That's why Claude's latest prediction is really just corporate speak. He's saying what they want him to say. 'They' could be mngmt, but it's also some fans. I don't particularly need to hear him make these bold predictions, but if it makes people feel good and, more importantly, feel like showing up to the remaining games... well then he's doing a great job. 

The real shame is that his previous predictions came to be true.... this will be his first real miss. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the fact that we live in a society where he's expected to answer yes and anything but yes would be this horrible answer is pathetic. Athletes reading on the bullsh-t meter is right up there with politicians. If anyone would be bothered if he said, "Not this year", you need to reevaluate your life. It wouldn't be a big deal. It wouldn't even be a little deal.

Here is the issue with him saying "Not this year"....They still have a shot at making the playoffs....although their chances are slim.  If he had said "Not this year", he leaves himself wide open to accusations of taking the rest of the season off if he doesn't perform well or not being a good leader because he doesn't instill confidence in the other players, etc.  I have zero issues with him showing full confidence that this team can still make the playoffs, even if it is far fetched.

Here is the issue with him saying "Not this year"....They still have a shot at making the playoffs....although their chances are slim.  If he had said "Not this year", he leaves himself wide open to accusations of taking the rest of the season off if he doesn't perform well or not being a good leader because he doesn't instill confidence in the other players, etc.  I have zero issues with him showing full confidence that this team can still make the playoffs, even if it is far fetched.

Yeah, but there we are in the gulf between "not this year" and "no doubt."

He doesn't have to say "we're done this year, mail it in" any more than he has to say "we're no doubt a playoff team."

He can acknowledge that the team hasn't achieved what they would have preferred this season while saying "but we still think we can make the playoffs."

"There's no doubt we're a playoff team" is simply foolish coming from a team that has one round of playoffs in the past two seasons and is far outside looking in with 31 games to play.

I'm not looking for gritty realism any more than I'm looking for pie-eyed optimism.

It's saying stupid things like "flip the switch" (Richards) or "greatest player in the world" (Laviolette) that come back to bite people.

If, God forbid, they miss the playoffs he's opened himself up to "what happened to your 'no doubt' playoff team?"

Because that's exactly the kind of "gotcha" that the woeful media searches for.

And then folks get upset with the media - not the guy who said something stupid ill-advised in the first place.

Ahh, I'm going to the Bruins/Flyers game in Boston next month - it would be so sweet if the game mattered :)

It will be fun anyway.

I *have* to get to a game in Philly. I think I've seen them in 7-8 different cities, but never in Philly. Do you know how much that sucks?

I'm going to that game also.  Have a group of 5.

Yeah, but there we are in the gulf between "not this year" and "no doubt."

He doesn't have to say "we're done this year, mail it in" any more than he has to say "we're no doubt a playoff team."

He can acknowledge that the team hasn't achieved what they would have preferred this season while saying "but we still think we can make the playoffs."

"There's no doubt we're a playoff team" is simply foolish coming from a team that has one round of playoffs in the past two seasons and is far outside looking in with 31 games to play.

I'm not looking for gritty realism any more than I'm looking for pie-eyed optimism.

It's saying stupid things like "flip the switch" (Richards) or "greatest player in the world" (Laviolette) that come back to bite people.

If, God forbid, they miss the playoffs he's opened himself up to "what happened to your 'no doubt' playoff team?"

Because that's exactly the kind of "gotcha" that the woeful media searches for.

And then folks get upset with the media - not the guy who said something stupid ill-advised in the first place.

See, I'm not reading his comment the way you are.  I think he is saying...we are a playoff worthy team.  I don't think he is guaranteeing they will make the playoffs this year.  Teams with enough talent to make the playoffs don't always do so.  I have thought from the onset of the season that they were a team that was capable of making the playoffs, but always knew there was a possibility that they would not.  

Again, I'm just not really bothered by his comment.  I would be more bothered if he said...I guarantee this team will be in the playoffs this year. The problem is, this was not a real article, it was a crappy blurb on CSNphilly.com, at least that's where I read about it.  Hard to know exactly what he was saying or meant to say based on what I read.

See, I'm not reading his comment the way you are. I think he is saying...we are a playoff worthy team. I don't think he is guaranteeing they will make the playoffs this year. Teams with enough talent to make the playoffs don't always do so. I have thought from the onset of the season that they were a team that was capable of making the playoffs, but always knew there was a possibility that they would not.

I have likewise thought that this team should be in a more competitive position in the playoff picture.

But they don't give out playoff positions "on paper" or based on upbeat quotes from captains. They give them out to teams that win hockey games.

And the fact remains they have all of one round of playoff hockey under his captaincy. That's the unfortunate fact. In what's looking like it will be three years.

Am I happy that he still thinks they are a good team? Not particularly. Because they're not showing that where it counts - on the ice. And, no matter what he says, they simply aren't a good team.

Again, I'm just not really bothered by his comment. I would be more bothered if he said...I guarantee this team will be in the playoffs this year. The problem is, this was not a real article, it was a crappy blurb on CSNphilly.com, at least that's where I read about it. Hard to know exactly what he was saying or meant to say based on what I read.

Seems like the original link I had included which had the video of the exchange was edited out(?).

The difference between "I guarantee" and "there's no doubt" seems quite semantic to me. "There's no doubt we're a playoff team" isn't materially different (to me) than "I guarantee we're a playoff team".

And my concern is more with the whole mantra of the organization that this seems to be a part and parcel of (and this goes back over many years, players and captains): "we're better than we're playing and we know it"

Essentially: don't waste time telling me you're better than you're playing.

Prove it. Play better.

Is anybody really "riled up" about it?

The main point is that there is "doubt" that this is a playoff team. 96.1% doubt. That's a pretty big doubt.

And this team has played one (1) round of playoff hockey in the past two seasons. "No doubt"?

He obviously doesn't need to throw anyone under the bus, but he should certainly be "disappointed" in how this season has gone and be willing to admit that there is work needed to improve.

How about something like this?

"No one has given up this year, even when we've faced adversity. Guys are filling in and doing the job."

"We're facing adversity now, but it's better it be now than later. As the game went on, we did a better job keeping it together, but we're still not together."

You know when Joe Sakic had to say they were "no doubt" a playoff team, even though they weren't?

He didn't.

so he should try to be someone else then ?  

for me that's nearly as bad as saying he doesn't believe in his teammates.

the other thing i think about is the context in which the quote was given... is it at his locker after practice ?, during a formal press conference? during a sit down interview with Barkan or some other twit  ?  I would expect a more nuanced answer if the forum allowed.

you and i both know there is talent on this team in addition to its flaws, change a couple of defensive players and this team could improve rather quickly.

deck chairs, you're splitting hairs over the deck chairs.

I actually really respect Lynch for his stand against the media, if you will. It's all a dog and pony show and it's peddling bullshi*t. Everyone knows, or should know, that talk doesn't mean anything. 

i actually hate it, society's rules and standards are for "other people"  .I think it sends a bad message to young people Larry Foote really makes a good point, one that i agree with.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12272608/arizona-cardinals-linebacker-larry-foote-says-marshawn-lynch-seattle-seahawks-sending-wrong-message-kids

I would expect a more nuanced answer

Nuance? Ha!! You're from Philly, shouldn't you stick to grunting and booing Santa? ;)  

We were spoiled by Dave Poulin. There was a captain who could give an intelligent interview and not just a cliche. Admittedly, most players don't have the brain cells for that and should stick to the lines lest they put their foot in their mouth. 

I have likewise thought that this team should be in a more competitive position in the playoff picture.

But they don't give out playoff positions "on paper" or based on upbeat quotes from captains. They give them out to teams that win hockey games.

And the fact remains they have all of one round of playoff hockey under his captaincy. That's the unfortunate fact. In what's looking like it will be three years.

Am I happy that he still thinks they are a good team? Not particularly. Because they're not showing that where it counts - on the ice. And, no matter what he says, they simply aren't a good team.

Seems like the original link I had included which had the video of the exchange was edited out(?).

The difference between "I guarantee" and "there's no doubt" seems quite semantic to me. "There's no doubt we're a playoff team" isn't materially different (to me) than "I guarantee we're a playoff team".

And my concern is more with the whole mantra of the organization that this seems to be a part and parcel of (and this goes back over many years, players and captains): "we're better than we're playing and we know it"

Essentially: don't waste time telling me you're better than you're playing.

Prove it. Play better.

Valid points.  I think it ultimately comes down to how you read into his comments.  I more or less hear him saying, we are a playoff team on paper and we are not eliminated yet.  I'm not getting the chirpy optimism, but I never did see the video, so maybe your view is based on hearing the actual comments, while mine is based on reading them.

I agree that teams don't win on paper.  You can have the most talented roster in the league, but unless they can find a way to mess together and play as a team, they won't be successful.  Besides the obvious glaring weakness on D, I don't know what's holding this team back.  I expected more out of their O.  The lack of secondary scoring was really scary earlier, but during this streak and at other moments during the season, we have seen how well they can do when they get the supporting cast into the games. 

Giving an honest answer doesn't necessarily mean you aren't trying.

i actually hate it, society's rules and standards are for "other people"  .I think it sends a bad message to young people Larry Foote really makes a good point, one that i agree with.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12272608/arizona-cardinals-linebacker-larry-foote-says-marshawn-lynch-seattle-seahawks-sending-wrong-message-kids

I'm with you. I cannot believe people have turned that moron (he can barely speak) into some kind of victim. I agree with Foote that it sends a bad message to kids, but I wish I could say it was kids and only kids supporting this boob. It's not. it's adults and when adults think rules and standards don't apply to them, that's more of a problem for a society than when kids do it.

An example is how this section of the country handles snow. We give kids off from school at the mere mention of the word. That's bad because we are creating a generation of pansies, but if you think their they only ones look again. Go on any FB comment section when it comes to a weather story - "Better safe than sorry." Turn on the TV and listen to some politician pathetically justify their overreaction. Shut up with that sh-t.

Giving an honest answer doesn't necessarily mean you aren't trying.

I know that, and you know that, but not everyone knows that and enough of the media would love to have a juicy quote to use against our star player.  Philly media loves driving star players out of town!

I don't think he is being dishonest.  I think he really does believe they are a playoff worthy team and I think he is going to try to beat the odds to get them there.  Likely not going to happen.

Valid points. I think it ultimately comes down to how you read into his comments. I more or less hear him saying, we are a playoff team on paper and we are not eliminated yet.

True - but, are they really? They barely clawed their way into the playoffs last season and edged out the wild card teams by 1 point before losing in the first round. The season before they were on the outside looking in.

This season they are even further behind on the outside looking in with 31 to play.

Besides the obvious glaring weakness on D, I don't know what's holding this team back. I expected more out of their O. The lack of secondary scoring was really scary earlier, but during this streak and at other moments during the season, we have seen how well they can do when they get the supporting cast into the games.

I guess the question is: is this a basic overvaluation of the roster as a whole? I certainly thought they c/should be better this year, but they have regressed as a team while individuals have stepped up.

Only one other team has a guy in the Top 15 in scoring and isn't solidly in the playoff hunt (Dallas - Sequin) and Washington and Pittsburgh both have two (like Jake and G) and are solidly in the playoff picture (Caps up 8 points on FLA). Dallas, for that matter, is five points out of a spot while the Flyers are double that.

In the end, I still have yet to see this team come together and look like a cohesive, determined force on the ice. I watch other games featuring playoff participants and I see an entirely different brand of hockey.

Switching up the divisions has really had far more of an impact that I think many thought it would. The Metro is a Much Harder go of it before we even get to teams like the Isles emerging as serious forces.

What might have been a "playoff team" two years ago might not be one today.

I think he really does believe they are a playoff worthy team and I think he is going to try to beat the odds to get them there.  Likely not going to happen.

See, I took his "in the future" comment to actually be looking past this season.

I just don't see that keeping this roster "as is" changes any outcomes for next season - and this roster as currently comprised is not "playoff worthy."

Ahh, I'm going to the Bruins/Flyers game in Boston next month - it would be so sweet if the game mattered :)

It will be fun anyway.

I *have* to get to a game in Philly. I think I've seen them in 7-8 different cities, but never in Philly. Do you know how much that sucks?

Went to a game in Boston several years ago... before they won the cup and before we came back from being down 3-0 in Round 2.

I found them to be a strange crowd.  They were extremely courteous and polite to us as visiting fans... until the Bruins went ahead, at which point they turned into a bunch of ass holes to rival Flyers fans. 

They lulled me into a false sense of comfort and then pounced. 

They were extremely courteous and polite to us as visiting fans... until the Bruins went ahead, at which point they turned into a bunch of ass holes to rival Flyers fans.

They lulled me into a false sense of comfort and then pounced.

Everybody says how "bad" Philadelphia fans are.

In my experience, Boston fans are 1000% worse.

what i want giroux to say, we have to earn to get in the playoffs, we have to play better to get in the playoffs, if we miss the playoffs then it's on us.

that's a reasonable comment, as least show some responsilbity rather than yeah we are making the playoffs, we are better than everyone else, that's a s## attitute coming from your captain. you know you are not playing great, as show some responsilbity.  good players do it, crap players make excuses.

you know you are not playing great, as show some responsilbity. good players do it, crap players make excuses.

Giroux is playing fine. Tied for 5th overall in scoring. I also don't see any "excuses" in his statement.

The problem is that the team as a whole isn't playing better and his "no doubt" playoff team has played one playoff round in the past two years and is on the far outside looking in this year.

I think maybe some "doubt" would be in order for those guys, since the whole "we're a playoff team on paper" thing isn't working out for them.

Sitting around saying "we know we're better than this" isn't a solution. You are what your record says you are.

Giroux has been great this year and to say otherwise is mindless... the guy was asked a stupid question and gave the company response which he should have time.  Show me anyone in professional sports that plays on a Team and comes out and tells the press his teammates suck...   This is being made into something that it should never be... asked a stupid question and gave a response.  The end...

The good thing is that Giroux is small and speedy so he has that going for him.  For if he were over 6'1 he might be too slow to play the game...

Show me anyone in professional sports that plays on a Team and comes out and tells the press his teammates suck... This is being made into something that it should never be... asked a stupid question and gave a response. The end...

Read the thread, Francis.

No one said he should say "my teammates suck!"

Giroux has been great this year and to say otherwise is mindless...

I don't recall anyone saying he wasn't...

And his team is looking to be on the outside looking in for two of his three years as captain of his "no doubt" playoff team.

Read the thread, Francis.

No one said he should say "my teammates suck!"

I don't recall anyone saying he wasn't...

And his team is looking to be on the outside looking in for two of his three years as captain of his "no doubt" playoff team.

I read the post(s) and not sure what you are even speaking about frankly but whatever- per breire48:

"that's a s## attitute coming from your captain. you know you are not playing great, as show some responsilbity"

I think my post pretty much was in disagreement with what he wrote b/c frankly it is BS.  To say G is not playing well is an absolute lie.  The guy is in the running for the Hart right now and in the top 5 in the league.  Purely a stupid statement...  

Not sure what else is to say other than my name is not Francis.

As such - stupid statements usually warrant a stupid response...

I think my post pretty much was in disagreement with what he wrote b/c frankly it is BS. To say G is not playing well is an absolute lie. The guy is in the running for the Hart right now and in the top 5 in the league. Purely a stupid statement...

And I specifically addressed the silliness of saying a guy who is a Top Five scorer on more than a PPG pace is "not playing great."

It helps, if you are reacting to a specific post, to quote and/or address the person in general.

And, as we've discussed, "ignore" is a thing that exists. :cool[1]:

Not sure what else is to say other than my name is not Francis.

:ph34r:

Archived