Cities NHL players DON'T want to play in...

flyercanuck

The Mets have won it all a couple of times, as many as the Phillies and in a much shorter existence. I don't feel sorry for the Mets (I hate them actually). Now the Cubbies, that's a different story. I DO hope the Cubs win the WS in my lifetime because it would be amazing. Talk about a loyal and passionate fan base.

The Cubs are probably the most likeable professional team among the four major sport leagues.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And do WHAT exactly??

Those two cases were very specific.

Gretzky had other reason for wanting to go Hollywood, and Pronger...well who knows why....maybe Edmonton just didn't appeal to HIM.

Not that I know a whole lot about both the Gretzky and Pronger situations, but the common theme for both seemed to be going over to a 'bigger spotlight'.

Maybe both are just attention hogs and they just weren't gonna get that in Edmonton.

Tellin ya...if a franchise like Edmonton gets their collective heads out of their arses and properly develop and support their talent AND they start winning again, this whole "no one wants to play in Edmonton" goes away.

Will there be players that still won't want to play there? Absolutely. But it won't be this big 'issue' that it is now.

Same with Winnipeg.

Winning cures all ppl...(well, almost all).

The removal of selective NTCs for starters.   :) 

Here's a new idea:

What if the NHL implemented a "higgest bidder" system for free agents?

Highest bidder wins... no matter what. Thus, if Edmonton offers free agent player X the most money, player X can't turn it down for less money just because they hate cold winters or don't think Edmonton can win.

All correct though for the sake of this argument, why a team is losing really doesn't matter. It's just the fact that they are losing.

I'll give you three "clown" owners from the Big 4 sporting leagues. Jerry Jones. Mark Cuban. Daniel Snyder. None of those teams have any problem attracting talent.

In Mark Cuban's case, and to a lesser extent Jerry Jones . Dallas is a great city...a fun , awesome city. So there is that going for those two destinations right off the bat.

Plus have you seen the Mavs locker room, their practice facilities  ? they are the league's standard for swank.... have the Mavs won anything recently ?  yes ...are they nearly always competitive ? yes. When they start down the path to suckatude do pieces get shipped out ?  yes... I think Cuban while perhaps personally distasteful to you is not a the best example, of "clown owner"...his players like playing for his team and he likes winning enough that he  has gotten out of the way so he can win.

The removal of selective NTCs for starters.   :)

Here's a new idea:

Highest bidder wins... no matter what. Thus, if Edmonton offers free agent player X the most money, player X can't turn it down for less money just because they hate cold winters or don't think Edmonton can win.

I think labor unions all over the world will take issue with the league and the product will suffer.  We live in North America you know.  Our Oligarchs at least let us have the illusion of freedom of choice.

In Mark Cuban's case, and to a lesser extent Jerry Jones . Dallas is a great city...a fun , awesome city. So there is that going for those two destinations right off the bat.

Plus have you seen the Mavs locker room, their practice facilities  ? they are the league's standard for swank.... have the Mavs won anything recently ?  yes ...are they nearly always competitive ? yes. When they start down the path to suckatude do pieces get shipped out ?  yes... I think Cuban while perhaps personally distasteful to you is not a the best example, of "clown owner"...his players like playing for his team and he likes winning enough that he  has gotten out of the way so he can win.

Agree. Just pointing out that owners like these guys aren't keep talent away.  Other factors - city, player treatment, winning - will lead to the better players wanting to sign there.

As for Cuban - I love the guy. A few years back there were rumors he wanted to purchase the Pirates; I would have went apeshite if that happened. But when the owner is in the news more than the team (the fueds w/ Stern, the fines, abusing the officials) then yeah - clown.  Not in a really detrimental way though.  

@B21  Must be fun being a Pirates fan these days.....ha, would have never typed that just a few short years ago....if the starting pitching holds up, the Pirates will be right in the thick of the race....can't WAIT till baseball starts!

Wayne Gretzky wanted out of Edmonton. He moved to LA, married his wife (actress whats her name) and was spending all of his free time in LA prior to "the trade".
Chris Pronger wanted out of Edmonton in 2006.

Remember Nylander? He wanted out of that supposed deal with Edmonton pretty fast as soon as he knew there were other options.

Even when times are good, Edmonton and Winnipeg are at a huge disadvantage. They can't get anyone to play there unless said player has no other alternative. I really think the league should look into this.

It's possible, but it changes the entire structure of the league. 

If you look at the league holistically, as a closed system, with X number of positions to fill, you could operate much like a large corporation with regional offices. In many cases, you don't necessarily get to choose which office you go to. The RCMP in Canada has an overwhelming number of officers who want the Vancouver posting - it's (one of) the most desirable places to live in Canada. But if they let that happen, there would be an imbalance in the rest of the country. So, it's seniority-based (I believe). 

Anyway, the point is, the NHL could treat its teams like regional offices that need staffing - employees will go where they are told to go as long as they are under contract. They don't get to pick and choose. In other words, eliminate NTCs completely. Same with NMCs. 

Once you are a free agent, fill your boots with your destination of choice. But once you sign that new contract, you are again agreeing that you will go where you are told to go while under that contract. If you don't, maybe you allow the player to break the contract and become some sort of restricted free agent.

I suspect it would have a positive effect on contract length (i.e. players would want to sign shorter contracts to avoid being traded to hockey purgatory - call it the Jeff Carter Conundrum).

@B21  Must be fun being a Pirates fan these days.....ha, would have never typed that just a few short years ago....if the starting pitching holds up, the Pirates will be right in the thick of the race....can't WAIT till baseball starts!

You and me both!

Bill Buckner wishes he could forget the '86 Mets

Wouldn't have mattered. Stanley was late to cover; Wilson would likely have been safe though Knight would have been held at 3rd.  ;)

Bruce Hurst was the Sox starter in Game 7 (the rain delay allowed him an extra day's rest).  You can rearrange the letters in his name to spell "Curse B Ruth". :o  

It's possible, but it changes the entire structure of the league. 

If you look at the league holistically, as a closed system, with X number of positions to fill, you could operate much like a large corporation with regional offices. In many cases, you don't necessarily get to choose which office you go to. The RCMP in Canada has an overwhelming number of officers who want the Vancouver posting - it's (one of) the most desirable places to live in Canada. But if they let that happen, there would be an imbalance in the rest of the country. So, it's seniority-based (I believe). 

Anyway, the point is, the NHL could treat its teams like regional offices that need staffing - employees will go where they are told to go as long as they are under contract. They don't get to pick and choose. In other words, eliminate NTCs completely. Same with NMCs. 

Once you are a free agent, fill your boots with your destination of choice. But once you sign that new contract, you are again agreeing that you will go where you are told to go while under that contract. If you don't, maybe you allow the player to break the contract and become some sort of restricted free agent.

I suspect it would have a positive effect on contract length (i.e. players would want to sign shorter contracts to avoid being traded to hockey purgatory - call it the Jeff Carter Conundrum).

EXACTLY!!!

But instead of having a league dictate where players go, the free market (highest bidder) would determine where players go.

It would be incredibly simple to implement.  Perhaps I'll make it a thread of its own....   :)

You and me both!

Are you interested in playing fantasy baseball?   The private league I'm in could use a few managers. There is no money on the line, but lot's of fun. I had to adjust and learn on the fly, had never played fantasy baseball before a few years ago....I have a 1st and 2nd place finish, so must be doing something right....ha ha.

• Wayne Gretzky wanted out of Edmonton. He moved to LA, married his wife (actress whats her name) and was spending all of his free time in LA prior to "the trade".
  • Chris Pronger wanted out of Edmonton in 2006.

Even when times are good, Edmonton and Winnipeg are at a huge disadvantage. They can't get anyone to play there unless said player has no other alternative. I really think the league should look into this.

If by Gretzky and Pronger you mean Mrs. Gretzky and Mrs. Pronger you are correct. Neither of the men had a problem with the franchise or the city.

Are you interested in playing fantasy baseball?   The private league I'm in could use a few managers. There is no money on the line, but lot's of fun. I had to adjust and learn on the fly, had never played fantasy baseball before a few years ago....I have a 1st and 2nd place finish, so must be doing something right....ha ha.

Appreciate the offer!!  But I have to pass.  I'm in two 5X5 AL/NL only money leagues that take up a lot of time. With one kid here and one due in the next 5 weeks I wouln't have the time.

• Wayne Gretzky wanted out of Edmonton. He moved to LA, married his wife (actress whats her name) and was spending all of his free time in LA prior to "the trade".
  • Chris Pronger wanted out of Edmonton in 2006.

* Gretzky was happy to play out the rest of his days in Edmonton, but wanted to be paid according to his ability. Oilers owner Peter Pocklington was in deep financial trouble, couldn't afford to keep him, and told Wayne that he (Pocklington) couldn't let him become a UFA, risking zero return.

* Chris Pronger was happy to play in Edmonton. It was his wife (who had moved back to St Louis in the interim) who didn't want to live there. What could the man do but request a trade?

Remember Nylander? He wanted out of that supposed deal with Edmonton pretty fast as soon as he knew there were other options.

All was good with Nylander until Chris Pronger's wife called up Mrs. Nylander and told her that Edmonton fans had purchased and publicly burned the Pronger's baby furniture after they left town. It had grown to be urban legend, and Chris Pronger has given a couple of interviews where he expressed his shock and outrage over it....... But it never happened. In this case, it was Lauren Pronger that once again happened to the Oilers.

Either way, it's a small point. I agree with your post about Edmonton not being an attractive option for most players. I lived there for a little over 25 years, and it's just the sad truth of the matter. The summers are nice, with lots of sun but not hot, but the winters are cold and mostly dark. A player gets to leave town and find himself in Los Angeles and Arizona during the winter, but his wife and kids are stuck there, and it's not as much fun for them.

Edmonton will just never be the hottest destination for players with a lot of options.

@B21 

Appreciate the offer!!

No problem, I totally understand being in to many leagues and how it stretches you thin for other activities. I will only play 2 baseball teams myself this year, have to take a step back. Fantasy baseball is a hands on every day thing....

The removal of selective NTCs for starters. :)

Here's a new idea:

GM's use it as a tool to give players control over their future and get them signed. If GM's do that to seal deals they tie their own hands. It's no different than a player in free agency choosing his location. Doing away with NTC's isn't going to change much.

Highest bidder wins? Never happen. You can't take away a free agency's right to choose where he plays. This isn't communism! Lol.

Archived