Giroux's contract

caluso

I like Giroux, I think he is a good player. But does anyone else think that his contract is about to become the team's next albatross.

As good as he is, he's not worth 8.7 million a year. Heck, I am not sure that anyone is with a hard salary cap.

And while we are talking about a hard cap, can we please get rid of Streit. I can't believe the free ride this defensive liability has been given. Is it because all of his defensive peers are worse?

Streit is terrible!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giroux, if and when a real coach comes in and keeps him and Voracek together, should be a far better player. I think if they can land a solid leftwing to play with those two, his contract is worth every penny. 

I like Giroux, I think he is a good player. But does anyone else think that his contract is about to become the team's next albatross.

As good as he is, he's not worth 8.7 million a year. Heck, I am not sure that anyone is with a hard salary cap.

And while we are talking about a hard cap, can we please get rid of Streit. I can't believe the free ride this defensive liability has been given. Is it because all of his defensive peers are worse?

Streit is terrible!

Most of these guys are overpaid and overpaid by a lot, but Giroux is worth his money more than anyone else we've overpaid in recent years. He's one of the only guys on them capable of regularly scoring 75-80 (or even 90 on a good year) points not right now, but for some years.

The contract or the player? If you are talking about contract, I completely agree. Streit should have been traded at the deadline. Huge mistake not to move him.

@caluso

Thing is, right now, as was mentioned, Claude Giroux is one of the few bright spots on the team and certainly a guy the GM can build around.....should he be able to drop some of the dead weight on the team.

Teams in the position the Flyers are in would LOVE to have a Claude Giroux then get pieces to go along with him.

Sure, it's not helping the team win now, but I think we all understand that as a whole, the forwards group isn't the problem.

In short, solid defensemen, a goalie that can stay on the ice (Mason is good, but has been on IR too much already), along with a capable backup (Emery...umm..no...) so the team doesn't feel the need to play over their heads whenever Mason needs a night off here and there, and possibly a better decision maker behind the bench.

I believe that is where the team needs to focus and in seeing how Ron Hextall has gone about his business, it seems that's exactly what he is doing...although, I still am not sure whether he will be replacing Berube anytime soon.

Why get rid of a player like Claude Giroux, put even MORE pressure on others such as Simmonds, Couterior and Voracek, then lament that the team "doesn't have a bona fide top six player" to go along with the aforementioned guys who would then need to pick up the slack?

As I said, many teams would LOVE to have a Giroux in a losing situation where they can at least have a base from which to build....even at the ridiculous salary.

You are right.....there aren't that many players that are worth that kind of annual salary...much less the kind of money guys like Parise, Suter, Kane and Toews (at about $10 M apiece!)...but tell you what...the Wild and Hawks are sure glad to have them and they go about getting pieces that will fit for as long as those guys are in their primes.

Philly should be doing the same with Giroux.

Not finding ways to show him the door, but rather, finding ways to usher in players that can ENHANCE him...and along with him the team as well.

I'm talking about his contract.

While I believe in Giroux and would like to see him paired with a legit LWer, it's hard not to notice that he has really gone AWOL at even strength.

I'm talking about his contract.

While I believe in Giroux and would like to see him paired with a legit LWer, it's hard not to notice that he has really gone AWOL at even strength.

I know.

But get rid of some REAL dead weight elsewhere on the team (whose contracts may not be as large, but given the return you are getting on them, seem worse somehow), then all of a sudden, Giroux's contract looks much more palatable. 

I probably haven't watched as many Flyers games as you have, so can't really comment on his "AWOL" status, but suffice to say that every player is going to hit those bad slumps, and in his case, not to make any excuses for him mind you, he may just very well have a case of the "Who the %$# cares at this point" about him given his team's situation.

Granted, he would never come out and say something like, nor should he, and real leaders don't think that way.

But that is my speculation, because he is human after all, and it is human nature to feel run down and care less about things than you should when you've been beaten down all season like he and his team have.

Happens to the best.

I've seen Stamkos play sometimes that makes me wonder about that....thankfully, few and far between.....but then he goes out and does some wonderful things.

@caluso

Thing is, right now, as was mentioned, Claude Giroux is one of the few bright

spots on the team and certainly a guy the GM can build around.....should he be able to drop some of the dead weight on the team.

Teams in the position the Flyers are in would LOVE to have a Claude Giroux then get pieces to go along with him.

Sure, it's not helping the team win now, but I think we all understand that as a whole, the forwards group isn't the problem.

In short, solid defensemen, a goalie that can stay on the ice (Mason is good, but has been on IR too much already), along with a capable backup (Emery...umm..no...) so the team doesn't feel the need to play over their heads whenever Mason needs a night off here and there, and possibly a better decision maker behind the bench.

I believe that is where the team needs to focus and in seeing how Ron Hextall has gone about his business, it seems that's exactly what he is doing...although, I still am not sure whether he will be replacing Berube anytime soon.

Why get rid of a player like Claude Giroux, put even MORE pressure on others such as Simmonds, Couterior and Voracek, then lament that the team "doesn't have a bona fide top six player" to go along with the aforementioned guys who would then need to pick up the slack?

As I said, many teams would LOVE to have a Giroux in a losing situation where they can at least have a base from which to build....even at the ridiculous salary.

You are right.....there aren't that many players that are worth that kind of annual salary...much less the kind of money guys like Parise, Suter, Kane and Toews (at about $10 M apiece!)...but tell you what...the Wild and Hawks are sure glad to have them and they go about getting pieces that will fit for as long as those guys are in their primes.

Philly should be doing the same with Giroux.

Not finding ways to show him the door, but rather, finding ways to usher in players that can ENHANCE him...and along with him the team as well.

To further bolster your point, I thought Kane/Toes were $12 a-peice? No?

To further bolster your point, I thought Kane/Toes were $12 a-peice? No?

They might be....I pulled $10M out as a number because I knew Parise and Suter were at that, and figured the Hawks players were at least that if not more.

And the contracts for all four of those players may hang heavy on those teams at some point, but right now, not so much.

Polaris: that's funny...

I don't begrudge G for signing that contract, I begrudge Gomer for giving it to him.

Look at the Rangers. How are they able to afford Hank, Nash, McDonagh, Yandle, Staal, Girardi and still be competitive?

Because Rangers management are able to negotiate very team-friendly deals. And the Flyers are unable to do that.

This is a hard salary cap league. Every dollar matters. Gomer never understood that. Fortunately I think Hextall does.

Because Rangers management are able to negotiate very team-friendly deals. And the Flyers are unable to do that

That is because the Rangers got some help drafting half the players you mentioned....and that helps Flyers have what 2 draft picks on their roster...Giroux and Coots the rest were aquired various different ways.

G at 3.5 mil a year he was worth it . G at 8.1 mil shoes he can't ever fill.

As far as getting a leftwing and then he will be worth it is B S .. He should be making players around him better but he does not .. Splitting him and  Jake up showed the team rolled with 4 balanced lines and g didn't make anyone he played with better .. 

Bye the way Berbue has one more year on his deal .. Oh My .....2015 -2016 is the last year on Chief's deal .

Giroux is a good player making market value. He will only be a great player if they surround him with some talent. He cannot do it himself. His last year of junior he had 46 points in the playoffs, and you saw what he can do in the 2010 playoffs. He needs help. Having said that I would trade him for the right return. It might be the wake up call the whole freakin organization needs

t might be the wake up call the whole freakin organization needs

Just like Richards and Carter changed the whole organizational view?

G is far from the issue...   he is an elite player in this league and has been for a few years now.   Trading him is only going to reshuffle the deck once again... I find it incredibly ridiculous that people focus on G... instead they rather ignore the shitpile that is the rest of the team.   

I think instead of paying Jake like a star we should just trade him b/c, you know, he will make too much money. :ph34r:

Most of these guys are overpaid and overpaid by a lot, but Giroux is worth his money more than anyone else we've overpaid in recent years. He's one of the only guys on them capable of regularly scoring 75-80 (or even 90 on a good year) points not right now, but for some years.

The contract or the player? If you are talking about contract, I completely agree. Streit should have been traded at the deadline. Huge mistake not to move him.

In addition, Claude makes everyone on the ice with him better. That's hard to measure, but even when he's not scoring as much (like lately) he's making things happen that are enabling other guys to make plays of their own. Lately he has had trouble finishing for some reason but he still is the guy out there making opportunities out of bupkis regularly. He sees the ice like a chess board and can look four moves ahead better than anyone we've had in a long time. It's a rare gift.

What he needs most is a coach who has any idea what to do with talent like that. Right now he's covering too much ice and helping out too much at both ends. There needs to be more balance and design in his game.

Chief's gotta go.

Here are the Flyers' top goal scorers at even strength: Michael Raffl 15, Wayne Simmonds 13, Sean Couturier 11, Jake Voracek 10, Chris VandeVelde 9, Del Zotto 8, Brayden Schenn 8, Giroux 7, R.J. Umberger 7, Vinny Lecavalier 6, Mark Streit 5

I am not focusing on G.

I never singled him out.

I am just concerned about his contract.

No matter how much you love him, his cap hit is huge, and his play doesn't justify it.

I agree that the team has many other issues. I just hope that G's contract doesn't become the albatross that VLC's did.

What / who would you trade G for?

Archived