Sabres fire Nolan

yave1964

Just in, not exactly a surprise, Ted Nolan was given the axe by the Sabres today.

He brought dignity back to the team, they were in disarray and he should forever be looked at fondly by Sabre fans for the role in getting this team out of the chaos and on track to develop the kids.

I don't quite understand the firing though... what did they expect him to do with such a mickey mouse lineup??  With what they gave him to work with, I figure they'd be pissed if he actually succeeded and took them out of McEichel positioning.  

Not sure what is going on here.

What? Was Ted Nolan some kind of 'malcontent' coach who was causing problems for ownership or alienating himself from players?

Was it Ted Nolan who put together the kind of talent that saw the Sabres be the worst team in the league?

Aren't the Sabres HAPPY that they have the best shot at Connor McDavid or at the very least, Jack Eichel??

I've always heard that Ted Nolan was the kind of guy who you WANT to have around a developing team.

That he is a player's coach, that his guys want to play for him.

Even, if for some absurd reason, ownership doesn't think Ted Nolan is the kind of guy you win CHAMPIONSHIPS with, fact is, Buffalo ISN'T winning a championship anytime soon.

Say Buffalo gets McDavid or Eichel....there is going to be ALOT of losing still going on in Buffalo until a solid system is set up, cornerstones in every position are found and developed, goaltending is settled, and the RIGHT free agents are brought in.

All of that isn't happening over the course of one or even two off seasons.....hell, the Sabres may be somewhat competitive and on the rise in maybe three.

So why can't Ted Nolan, assuming he isn't a 'Stanley Cup' coach, be with these young guys, help them along by building confidence and cohesion stay for the foundation of an assumed 'Championship Sabres Team' further down the line?

I really don't understand this firing.

If a coach came in with certain expectations and he had a team full of players that could compete and win and he didn't...that I could understand.

But what expectations really did Buffalo have?

Did they think the season would end any other way than the way it did?

Again...unless Nolan was some sort of cancer, I just don't understand this firing.

Good players or not.

Generational talents or not...if the Sabres ownership is going to play this stupid game of musical chairs at the head coaching level, the Sabres track to a championship may be seriously delayed.

Then people are gonna wonder how a team with Connor McDavid/Jack Eichel, Evander Kane, Sam Reinhart, etc could possibly be pulling an Edmonton Oilers and failing year after year.

Someone pour some logic into a glass for me and serve it chilled because I am at a loss here.

:blink[1]:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I spoke to a friend who is a Sabre fan who stated that Nolan has hinted that he was unsure he wanted to come back beyond this year. He more or less took the job as a favor to Lafontaine and then it got weird in Buffalo within the organizational hierarchy but Nolan did a noble job of guiding the kids. Murray has every right to want his own man, my friend says better than even money on Bylsma. If the reason for the firing/parting of ways is to bring in a Stanley Cup winning coach, I can see it. Still, totally agree, the sabres are a loooooong way away from being in the conversation for anything save the lottery.

Nolan is a good coach and gets the most out of his players. He did it on Long Island and in Buffalo. He was able to motivate the garbage the Sabres management gave him. Ted Nolan teams always compete.

Maybe Hextall should give him a call?

Does this mean he is back to being blackballed again?  As others have expressed what did Buffalo expect out of him with the team they had???  This is a puzzler unless they are going for Babcock maybe?

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I spoke to a friend who is a Sabre fan who stated that Nolan has hinted that he was unsure he wanted to come back beyond this year. He more or less took the job as a favor to Lafontaine and then it got weird in Buffalo within the organizational hierarchy but Nolan did a noble job of guiding the kids. Murray has every right to want his own man, my friend says better than even money on Bylsma. If the reason for the firing/parting of ways is to bring in a Stanley Cup winning coach, I can see it. Still, totally agree, the sabres are a loooooong way away from being in the conversation for anything save the lottery.

Ok, well, if so, THIS makes a bit of sense then.

Sounds like, perhaps then, Nolan himself wasn't all gung ho about being the guy who suffers through the rebuild only to have someone else come in and reap the benefits when the team is ready to win.

Or maybe he simply would rather do other things with his time and was only doing this, as your friend mentioned, as a favor.

If that is the case, then ok.

Sabres SHOULD be looking for someone who is committed and if that was going to be the case all along then the sooner you get someone in here, the better.

Stability at the coaching/management/ownership level is SO important for a team struggling and trying to find its way like the Sabres are.

You simply can't have a new flavor of the week coach come in and start preaching a message, then have him exit in short order, then have another guy come in with another message, he leaves, wash, rinse repeat...just doesn't work.

When I saw this thread and what had happened, my first thought was Ted Nolan was on board, ready to do what needed to be done, then just told he was no longer wanted.

That was what I referred to as being puzzling.

But if he himself wasn't really committed long term, then yea, makes better sense.

Get someone in there, get the RIGHT guy in there, someone who is capable of shaping these young guys over the long haul, and get this thing going in the right direction.

For Flyers fans calling for Nolan to be the next coach in Philly, in light of something like this (the committment), one has to wonder whether Nolan would be committed as a coach for the Flyers as well.

I mean, maybe Nolan WANTS to coach, just not the bottom-of-the-barrel situation like there is in Buffalo.

But if the man just doesn't have his head full time in being an NHL head coach, then it won't matter where he coaches.

Maybe he just doesn't want the stress and time consuming preparations that go along with being the man behind the bench at the highest level.

I would have ZERO issues with Ted Nolan taking over coaching duties.  In fact, I think he would've been a great coach to have taken this team through these past 2 rough years.  

We're just in such an awkward position of 1/2 and 1/2...

We have half a team that would be pieces on a championship team (Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Mason)

and half a team that is years away from/may never make it to that same level. (Schenn, Couts, and Samhein/Morin/Ghost)

By the time the 'kids' are ready for prime time....  The quality half will be past their prime.  

I really think we're in trouble long term with this current makeup.

*If* Nolan was the one who did want to commit, I'm ok with it....but why fire him...why not just give the ol' "mutual parting of ways" speech....let's everyone save some face. My gut tells me that Nolan got treated badly again...question....I'm not one to play the racism card....but if it walks like a duck.....just say'in.

Does this mean he is back to being blackballed again?  As others have expressed what did Buffalo expect out of him with the team they had???  This is a puzzler unless they are going for Babcock maybe?

No way Babs ends up in Buffalo. If Buffalo is doing that, it is wishful thinking, IMHO.

Even with the hope of McDavid, there is still a LOT more hope for a Cup during his next 5 years in Detroit than in Buffalo. If Babs leaves Detroit, which he may very well do, I see him hearing the call from his homeland, and trying to improve the centerpiece Canadian franchise. Oh, and being paid quite handsomely to do it. If he leaves Detroit, it'll be for Toronto for patriotic pride and money. If he is really about winning another Cup, I can't see a better opportunity than staying in Detroit.

Shanahan is posturing like they are ready to do almost anything to make the franchise a winner again. We'll see if that, patriotism, and money are enough. I can't see another team offering anything better than that if he leaves Detroit.

@SpikeDDS  I don't think Babber would take on such an all encompassing challenge like the Sabres.....one thing for sure though, Peluga the Sabres owner is SUPER rich, and he wants to win real bad. No cap on the coaches, I could see Peluga backing up the Brinks truck and throwing silly money at Babber. Mr Illitch is of course, very well off himself, but he has the Tigers and their outlandish near 200 mill a year expenditure to worry about also.

@jammer2

Agree on all points. Babs is NOT the type where money will be the primary driver of his decision. The maney is a nice secondary, but what will drive him is either patriotism or the chance to win more Cups. The money will be large, but secondary, which is why I haven't given up total hope that he may be back in Detroit. The odds of winning a Cup again during his tenure are veery good if he stays. He has always been about winning. And he DOES appreciate the Detroit organization and how it is run. That said, I think his chances of staying in Detroit are a coin flip at best. Patriotism is strong within him. The showcase Canadian team is calling. Hard for him not to hear it and respond, even though it may mean that he won't win another Cup. If he can make them a winning team again, it will solidify his legendary status in Canadian lore even more than it already is with his Olympic stuff.

No way Babs ends up in Buffalo. If Buffalo is doing that, it is wishful thinking, IMHO.

Not sure Buffalo is the kind of job Babcock will want, especially within spittinng distance of Toronto and the adoration he would get for saving that franchise, so take it for what it's worth:

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie · 15h 15 hours ago

BUF GM Tim Murray has history with Babcock dating back to days in ANA. Sabre owner Terry Pegula has lot of $ and not likely to be outbid.

Not sure Buffalo is the kind of job Babcock will want, especially within spittinng distance of Toronto and the adoration he would get for saving that franchise, so take it for what it's worth:

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie · 15h 15 hours ago

BUF GM Tim Murray has history with Babcock dating back to days in ANA. Sabre owner Terry Pegula has lot of $ and not likely to be outbid.

See, that is where it loses me....I don't care how much money Peluga has...(he's reportedly a billionarie) but there is NO WAY he has more money than Comcast...I just can't see it!!

If Babcock is not staying in Detroit, and if he doesn't mind working for Shanny (possibly a weird circumstance for him given the role-reversal), then he's going to Toronto.    No way he ends up in Buttf###lo.

See, that is where it loses me....I don't care how much money Peluga has...(he's reportedly a billionarie) but there is NO WAY he has more money than Comcast...I just can't see it!!

Comcast has money, but the question is where do they feel the Flyers fall in their corporate heirarchy. They may or may not be willing to outbid Tronno or Pegula if it comes down to it. The Leafs are the 26th most valuable of all sports franchises in the world - no other NHL team is in the top 50. If Pegula is a hands on owner, he may definitely view it as less of a business decision than Comcast might. I honestly don't know what Babcock finds appealing going forward, but I would not automatically assume the Flyers would outbid all comers.

@AJgoal  That is a valid point, just because Comcast has unlimited money, does not mean that they will make it a corporate policy to spend it like a drunken sailor. This is where Buffalo has an advantage over Philly and Toronto....Peluga answers to no one and is basically a super rich, super fan. The Flyers and TO are run by corporate boards, not an individual fan boy like Peluga.

Likely about tanking to get the top pick for one.  

The coach should always be trying to make his team perform to the best of their abilities. A coach should not put together a lineup designed to fail, and should not coach his guys to not try to go out and win every game. I'd have fired Nolan if he did try to tank the season, regardless of my plan as the GM, because it instills the wrong attitude in the players, many of whome will be around in future years.

Here's the thing. McDavid and Eichel are still prospects. One of them will be on the Sabres. But what if that guy breaks his femur in his first game and it never heals right, and he's never the same player after that? Or if he suffers a severe concussion early in his career and is forced to retire? What if he just can't make the jump? You can't not pick a guy because of these factors, but they're the reason why the coach shouldn't try to lose, even for a generational talent. Prospects are still prospects, some just have higher cielings than others. Plus, the coach is telling his guys like Girgensons and Grigorenko and Ennis that they're not good enough to win. That they need McDavid or Eichel to compete. How much confidence are they going to have in themselves or their coach going forward if that's the message he's sending? The coach's responsibility is to the players he has right now, to develop them and get the most out of their abilities. He is failing every member of the squad, for the now and for the future, if he's fostering an environment where he's not trying to get them to be and perform their best.

Here's the thing. McDavid and Eichel are still prospects. One of them will be on the Sabres. But what if that guy breaks his femur in his first game and it never heals right, and he's never the same player after that? Or if he suffers a severe concussion early in his career and is forced to retire? What if he just can't make the jump? You can't not pick a guy because of these factors, but they're the reason why the coach shouldn't try to lose, even for a generational talent. Prospects are still prospects, some just have higher cielings than others. Plus, the coach is telling his guys like Girgensons and Grigorenko and Ennis that they're not good enough to win. That they need McDavid or Eichel to compete. How much confidence are they going to have in themselves or their coach going forward if that's the message he's sending? The coach's responsibility is to the players he has right now, to develop them and get the most out of their abilities. He is failing every member of the squad, for the now and for the future, if he's fostering an environment where he's not trying to get them to be and perform their best.

I thought Nolan did an admirable job up there doing what you describe. The Sabres didn't have the talent to compete every night, but I didn't see many games where they took the night off, coasted and tanked.

They have a boatload of young talent and will have one of the "generational" prospects (100% agree on your assessment of prospects). I think the key will be getting a good coach and attracting some "Bill Guerin types" for veteran support.

The fans will not like this one bit.  And Murray has already said this.  He must have his eye on someone or this would not have happened.  Unless he and Nolan  got into fights that we do not know about.  Likely about tanking to get the top pick for one.  Time will tell as to who Murray pursues.  I do not want Babcock.  I saw his name brought up.  You may think I am nuts but I would have no problem with Ron Wilson.  Of course the return of Lindy Ruff would be my first choice as I love the guy and know his heart would be into it 100%.  But not sure if Dallas plans to keep him?  They played graet at the end but they did not make it so  I do not know their intentions.  I expect Berube to be axed soon.  If not, dumb.  

Sure have to laugh about the Kings locking their coach out of the locker room.  That is great stuff.  

Ron WIlson HATES rookies and young players. One of the worst coaches in the league to hand over developing players. He will play washed up veteran 7th Dmen in a top 4 role before giving a rookie a shot, and trust me, with the amount of young players you have, avoid Wilson.

I thought Nolan did an admirable job up there doing what you describe. The Sabres didn't have the talent to compete every night, but I didn't see many games where they took the night off, coasted and tanked.

They have a boatload of young talent and will have one of the "generational" prospects (100% agree on your assessment of prospects). I think the key will be getting a good coach and attracting some "Bill Guerin types" for veteran support.

Is that not what they did when they traded for Gorges, Gionta and signed Moulson and Mezaros?

Is that not what they did when they traded for Gorges, Gionta and signed Moulson and Mezaros?

I wouldn't put Meszaros into that category (he may not be back) but the other three are good candidates.

Archived