McLellan To Flyers?

activestick

As long as he does not bring Woodcroft.

Every special teams, be it PK or PP Woodcroft touches turns to ashes the next season

I really hope whoever comes to Philly keeps Joe Mullen. The power play, especially at home, was the Flyers greatest team strength.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can he work with and develop young talent? That is my only question. Detroit and San Jose have never been that.

I will say he did a bang up job with Couture. Pavelski at 24 started thriving in his system at age 24. Vlasic likewise started playing a better transition game at age 21.  Setoguchi looked good, but had party problems. I honestly did not think Braun would be an NHL defenseman, but he was moved along at a good pace. Demers was too but began to regress. Wingels and Nieto have looked good. Hertl had some regression after his knee injury.

He had a good mix of Vets and young players.

This season, I wanted to kill him for constantly playing vets like Burish, Hannan and tweeners like Scott and Brown over young players.

in hindsight, He had 4 rookies and 3 second year players. Not many coaches get stuck with that many rookies on the squad. It is amazing we almost made the playoffs

The Flyers have some of the forwards needed to thrive in such a north south system and he can make the most of your defense. At least until the playoffs. Shame Coburn is no longer there because his first pass was not too bad, despite his brain farts and unwillingness to use his size, and he would have done better. Del Zotto will get an increased role.

Del Zotto will get an increased role.

This I gotta see :) He's already playing the most minutes on the team, 1st PK, and 2nd PP. 

I think our top pairing next year will be Schultz and MDZ, then Streit and Schenn, and the 3rd pairing could have Goudas and McDud. This implies they trade Grossmann.

If one of the kids forces his way onto the roster, Hextall will have to trade someone or have Goudas as a healthy scratch.

Welcome to Philly, Radko! :)

Yes that is only if he is still employed by the Sharks...which i would think agreeing to parts ways wouldn't fall under still employed.

I thought he had an out option but if he did not exercise it there was still one year left on the contract with SJ. Could it be possible despite the mutual parting the Sharks still expect compensation?

This I gotta see :) He's already playing the most minutes on the team, 1st PK, and 2nd PP. 

I think our top pairing next year will be Schultz and MDZ, then Streit and Schenn, and the 3rd pairing could have Goudas and McDud. This implies they trade Grossmann.

If one of the kids forces his way onto the roster, Hextall will have to trade someone or have Goudas as a healthy scratch.

Welcome to Philly, Radko! :)

I'm hoping something turns up either with Radko or whoever and relegates Schultz back to his normal slot.....7th Dman.

that is what's bothering me with mclellan that he could turn into berube and just play the vets over young players, hextall has to pick the right coach where it fits the young players, i dont think mclellan is that guy.

In Detroit, McLellan was tasked with handling the Red Wings' forwards and managing the team's power play, as well as reporting player performance to head coach Babcock. Under his watch, the Red Wings had the top-ranked power play in the NHL, finishing first in power play efficiency in 2005–06 and third in 2007–08.

And Babcock hasn't won a title without him. So which is the better head coach??? Maybe you can give the edge to Babcock...but not by much...but i think he stay or join Shanny in Tronno...so the Flyers need to try and sign him...if they think Todd is their man.

His north and south game maybe be what this Flyer squad needs.

From what Sportsnet is reporting, the Oilers have already reached out to McLellan. Gut feeling, but I think McLellan will use the Oilers as leverage. Can't see him going there with the management mess that exists and an ower who's oblivious to all of it. However, with Edmonton eventually moving into that new downtown arena, they're going to want as many big names as possible to draw people in.

From what Sportsnet is reporting, the Oilers have already reached out to McLellan. Gut feeling, but I think McLellan will use the Oilers as leverage. Can't see him going there with the management mess that exists and an ower who's oblivious to all of it. However, with Edmonton eventually moving into that new downtown arena, they're going to want as many big names as possible to draw people in.

I don't think he'll need leverage...as of right now he is the top canidate for the job...i can see him maybe using them for the money reason...but we know Snider has deep pockets and doesn't mind over paying for what they want...see Bryz.

The key...is Todd want they want?

He may just wait till he is done with the WC to decide. Who knows...only he does.

murraycraven, you are either very argumentative and your wife always gets the last word or you don't really pay attention. Yes Detroit is the model, but those draft picks generally play years in the minors. The conversation up for topic is that McClellan has never COACHED a young team, only veteran laden teams.

Seriously, though. Your Detroit statement was a head scratcher. You can talk about attention after the fact and parse meaning, but I disagreed with the Detroit statement as written, too.

I don't completely agree with McClellan either. And much better with kids than, say, Julien.

I think situations are different. When a coach knows he has a team but together to win right now and failure is readily measurable and imminently costly, it's less likely he's going to risk ice time or spend a lot of focus on nurturing a kid.

Julien may be an example of that, or he just doesn't like kids. McLellan too, to an extent.

That situation isn't present on the flyers. The task is different.

I'm not concerned on the youth thing with either Babcock or McLellan.

Seriously, though. Your Detroit statement was a head scratcher. You can talk about attention after the fact and parse meaning, but I disagreed with the Detroit statement as written, too.
I don't completely agree with McClellan either. And much better with kids than, say, Julien.
I think situations are different. When a coach knows he has a team but together to win right now and failure is readily measurable and imminently costly, it's less likely he's going to risk ice time or spend a lot of focus on nurturing a kid.
Julien may be an example of that, or he just doesn't like kids. McLellan too, to an extent.
That situation isn't present on the flyers. The task is different.
I'm not concerned on the youth thing with either Babcock or McLellan.

I think if Todd and the Sharks had Mason the would certainly made it further possibly even to the finals last year. We'll never know but goaltending has killed them since he has been there...not so much during the regular season...but come playoff time...their weak link.

I think Joe would agree to this.

If the Sharks had Mason this past they would be in the playoffs...and who knows how far they could go.

McClellan holds all the cards since he can just pick and choose where he wants to go. What are the odds that he picks Philly? I read Frank's article this morning on McClellan's connections to other teams. Other than cash, what does Philly offer more than another team? We're kind of a middling team without an aggressive rebuild (like Leafs), superstar draftee (Oilers) or proven recent success (Bruins, perhaps Kings if they fire Sutter). And what about the Pens? Do they fire Johnston if the Rangers send them golfing? That will be an attractive option for any coach, really.

McClellan holds all the cards since he can just pick and choose where he wants to go. What are the odds that he picks Philly? I read Frank's article this morning on McClellan's connections to other teams. Other than cash, what does Philly offer more than another team? We're kind of a middling team without an aggressive rebuild (like Leafs), superstar draftee (Oilers) or proven recent success (Bruins, perhaps Kings if they fire Sutter). And what about the Pens? Do they fire Johnston if the Rangers send them golfing? That will be an attractive option for any coach, really.

Philly has Giroux/Voracek/Mason/Simmonds/Schenn/Couturier/Read, 4 decent prospects on D and 2-1sts this year. And cash, which may well be the deciding factor.

It really depnds on if he wants to become a legend...with the exception of aToronto becuase this is where i see Babcock landing all the recent teams you just named have won Cups recently and still canned their coaches.

The Flyer have yet to do this since the 70's. And if he could do this bring a Cup to Philly he would become legend...now that is a tall order but i think he would be up for the challenge.

And there is alot of pieces to work with like FC stated and a goaltender already in place. Young D prospects waiting in the wings.

Yes i guess the Oilers have some pieces but not much on the blueline and noone in net. And Mctavish who i don't think is a good GM.

Hexy well the jury is still out on...i just think Philly looks like the better landing spot. Am i slighted with my bias...maybe.

It really depnds on if he wants to become a legend...with the exception of aToronto becuase this is where i see Babcock landing all the recent teams you just named have won Cups recently and still canned their coaches.

The Flyer have yet to do this since the 70's. And if he could do this bring a Cup to Philly he would become legend...now that is a tall order but i think he would be up for the challenge.

And there is alot of pieces to work with like FC stated and a goaltender already in place. Young D prospects waiting in the wings.

Yes i guess the Oilers have some pieces but not much on the blueline and noone in net. And Mctavish who i don't think is a good GM.

Hexy well the jury is still out on...i just think Philly looks like the better landing spot. Am i slighted with my bias...maybe.

Great post and agree...

McDavid might be a generational talent but the Oilers have managed to trip over their own feet at every turn for as long as I can remeber. They can't get anything to work and are the epitome of dysfunction. Not sure one player is going to make that a perfect destination to be a Coach.

This is a good one. It may well be that Boston and LA's windows are closing, and they've made the best of it. They will need to restock/retool to keep up. 

The Flyers are kind of in the middle of that, and should be competitive within 5 years (and by competitive, I don't mean sneaking into the playoffs). They might be an attractive option on that front.

Philly is also a coach graveyard - and if this guy is at all interested in job security either for himself or his family, maybe he looks at teams' coaching history and that becomes a factor. 

Philly is also a coach graveyard

All of them get fired in the NHL... Philly has more turnover for sure but I dont think it is a graveyard where your career goes to die.   Hitch and Lavy seem to be doing pretty well... and others through the years after leaving Philly.  Maybe w/ Hextall in place that trend will become a thing of the past.  Hire and Coach that is a good fit and a strong leader and let him stay in the position.   Change the culture for the players instead of changing the Coach every two years.

Cash. Don't underestimate that. This is a good organization that people love to work for. They also pay well and apparently will hire you for life in some capacity.

All of them get fired in the NHL... Philly has more turnover for sure but I dont think it is a graveyard where your career goes to die.   Hitch and Lavy seem to be doing pretty well... and others through the years after leaving Philly.

Yes, you're right. I meant more the high turnover rate :) They're still good coaches, of course, but Philly has a very low patience level for them. And those two guys are the longest tenured Flyers coaches in the last 20 years.

I can see a culture change with Hextall.

PS - Don't tell Ed, though!

I can see a culture change with Hextall.

I do too Brel...   Although there is not much to go on based on his short tenure I believe we are seeing a "changing of the guard" in terms of philosophy.   I just hope Snider does the best thing for the Team and let Hextall do his thing.   

He might go there now that Edmonton has the #1 pick.

I do too Brel...   Although there is not much to go on based on his short tenure I believe we are seeing a "changing of the guard" in terms of philosophy.   I just hope Snider does the best thing for the Team and let Hextall do his thing.   

Even though he was probably the biggest bully around, Hextall is the first post-Broad Street Bully to be GM. So he might not have the same affinity for that era as the others did.

Archived