Dave Hakstol: new HC

RJ8812

listen to Hofman here... he had no idea and has no idea what to say...grasping for anything...like find a former nhl head coach for his staff.... what ?

loser

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Flyers-hire-Dave-Hakstol-as-head-coach.html

the entire outfit scooped by our site.

Carchidi has nothing of relevance to say either...this is wonderful i hope Hakstol tells them to **** off in his first presser.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

50/50 chance any future expletives directed at the GM or coach can be misconstrued as being directed at the coach or GM. "Did he say f---ing Hextall or f---ing Hakstol?" Gives Hextall immediate 50% plausible denial it was him.

If it looks like Hexybwith a bushier mustache I think we have problems.

listen to Hofman here... he had no idea and has no idea what to say...grasping for anything...like find a former nhl head coach for his staff.... what ?

loser

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Flyers-hire-Dave-Hakstol-as-head-coach.html

the entire outfit scooped by our site.

Carchidi has nothing of relevance to say either...this is wonderful i hope Hakstol tells them to **** off in his first presser.

I don't like that his kid played for him.

But re: Hoffman, how the hell does this smack of anything remotely like having Ed Snider written all over it?

Huh?

Our Ed Snider?

Ned Snider is probably throwing a tantrum in the locker room right now that he's been cheated out of blowing 7 million Comcast bucks a year on Babccock.

How does this smell like a Snider deal in the least? Because A different GM hired Keenan 31 years ago?

It took Keenan like 3 franchise moves and a miracle named messier to win the cup. I hope Hakstal is better for us!

NHL Players who played under HC Hakstol:

Travis Zajac

Drew Stafford

Matt Jones (106 games with PHO years ago)

Chris Porter

Matt Greene

Matt Smaby (122 games with TBL)

TJ Oshie

Brian Lee (209 games with TBL)

Taylor Chorney

Jonathan Toews

Matt Watkins (1 game with PHO)

Joe Finley (21 games with BUF)

Chris VandeVelde!

Chay Genoway (1 game with MIN)

Matt Frattin

Bradley Malone

Corban Knight (9 games with CGY)

Andrew MacWilliams

Brock Nelson

Rocco Grimaldi

I don't like that his kid played for him.

i don't mind that, Hextall had the opportunity to watch how the HC handled his kid and the university's business from the view point of a parent/fan  at first and i reckon saw some things he liked. I don't think it's "hey thanks for Brett's scholarship here's some payback".  i think Hexy liked what he saw from Haksy and probably heard his kid bitching about him on the phone...life is about relationships.

It doesn't bother me that I've never heard of the guy. I've heard of UND and their elite program.

It goes without saying that how he will adapt to the NHL and it's millionaire players is an unanswered question.

But most of us wanted a new focus on drafting and developing from within. This choice means that they are committed to that. We should be rejoicing.

I'm just a little surprised that they don't even talk to Babcock. Maybe they figured he's staying...maybe they figured this guy is more in line on a rebuild type project. 

I'm just a little surprised that they don't even talk to Babcock. Maybe they figured he's staying...maybe they figured this guy is more in line on a rebuild type project.

Yeah who knows. It's a very different direction for sure, but I'm on with it. He'd be wise to hire some veteran assistant coaches, preferably ones that can develop young D-men. A Charlie Huddy type.

I'll be interested to see if Murray stays now that Hakstol is in place. Ideally, Hakstol and the Phantom's coach will be on the same page as far as system and development procedures. Hopefully Hextall will take input from his new HC as far as how he envisions coaching at the AHL level.

I cant believe he was not wearing an orange tie during the presser... seriously, wtf!?!?   :ph34r:

I was in the Rally House last week, and saw some green Flyers t-shirts and hats.

ff_1632555_xl.jpg

MC: Yes, the Flyers tendered him last summer, so they own his rights. I'm not sure how long that will hold up though, I'm kind of hazy on how that works for an RFA that doesn't sign his tender. Can he still become a UFA if he waits until he's 27?

MC: Yes, the Flyers tendered him last summer, so they own his rights. I'm not sure how long that will hold up though, I'm kind of hazy on how that works for an RFA that doesn't sign his tender. Can he still become a UFA if he waits until he's 27?

that is where I get confused too... lol...  

I was at a job fair when this broke (hiring, not looking) and could only vaguely look at this on my phone between distractions.  

I have to say I love this choice.  It is definitely a new direction and a new culture, and I am completely on board with that.  I think Howie (I think it was Howie) makes an excellent point that this indicates a commitment to growth and development rather than the "Get'er done NOW" that a Babcock or Bylsma (vomit) would have indicated.

I like it.  Very happy.

I was at a job fair when this broke (hiring, not looking) and could only vaguely look at this on my phone between distractions.  

I have to say I love this choice.  It is definitely a new direction and a new culture, and I am completely on board with that.  I think Howie (I think it was Howie) makes an excellent point that this indicates a commitment to growth and development rather than the "Get'er done NOW" that a Babcock or Bylsma (vomit) would have indicated.

I like it.  Very happy.

been a long time coming...   a "fresh perspective" is a good thing...   there will no doubt be bumps in the road but this is an exciting time for the Flyers fan base.   I firmly believe Hextall has a plan and he is executing it - risky?   no doubt but I love the direction.

Check this out... sounds like Hextall really pursued Babcock Hakstol:

Dave Hakstol turned the Flyers job down twice

posted by Travis Hughes on May 18, 2015

Good on Ron Hextall for keeping the pressure on and getting his guy. Also, goes to show how loyal and committed Hakstol was to the program he built in North Dakota. Good quality in a coach, IMO.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/5/18/8621583/dave-hakstol-turned-the-flyers-job-down-twice

Less than two years later, and it appears we did need a fresh perspective. As has been said, it remains to be seen if this was the right choice, but I'm fairly positive that more of the same, recycling and going with inside candidates, would have more than likely been the wrong choice.

I was reading the StarTribune over lunch some of the comments from the signing of  "The Hack" were comical.  One being he will fit in perfectly with "The BroadStreetBullies"

and second some thought Hextall should have signed Lucia out of the Univ of Minn as he has a similar winning percentage but with 2 Championships.

I'll be interested to see if Murray stays now that Hakstol is in place. Ideally, Hakstol and the Phantom's coach will be on the same page as far as system and development procedures. Hopefully Hextall will take input from his new HC as far as how he envisions coaching at the AHL level.

Murray has said that he doesn't want to coach the Phantoms next year. He wants to get back to the NHL as an assistant, not a HC. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Flyers hire him.

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2015/04/terry_murray_not_candidate_for_flyers_head_coach_b.html

Actually, according to that article he would be interested in being a HC in the NHL, but also sounds open to being an assistant with the Flyers.

I like the idea of thinking outside the box. I'm also wondering if this move signals the end of Mullen, Laperriere, Murray, Cote and Samuelsson and their respective roles within the Flyers. It seems that Hextall has been systemically moving guys out who don't share his philosophy on how the team should be run.

As for Hakstol, I'm interested to see what his approach will be like when it comes to Giroux and Voracek. If they buy into what he's selling, they could become an elite two-way combo. I'm also interested to see if Hakstol will take a chance and play Lawson Crouse on the left side of those two.....

i don't mind that, Hextall had the opportunity to watch how the HC handled his kid and the university's business from the view point of a parent/fan  at first and i reckon saw some things he liked. I don't think it's "hey thanks for Brett's scholarship here's some payback".  i think Hexy liked what he saw from Haksy and probably heard his kid bitching about him on the phone...life is about relationships.

It's not that I think there's some nefarious nepotism.  It's more like this:

I tend to lean towards Phillies prospects for my fantasy teams... because I just know more about them because the Phillies are within my limited sphere of awareness more than prospects of other teams.   It's a really stupid thing. 

But none the less I will have seen this kid pitch well or I saw that kid take some good AB's in spring training or AA or AAA.  And I read all about them all the time.  So the overall chatter of what's good about them in my brain is higher than a kid from the Angels or the Brewers, who might very well (and in all likelihood really is) quite a bit better. 

I don't like the idea of this just being the best out of the box guy Hextall knows about because his kid happened to play for him.

That said, his teams have done well and he's coached some great players.  It's just a tiny little red flag. 

Well I, as well as everyone else, do't have a clue about this guy except for what I have read in the past 5-10 minutes or so.  Does anyone know what type of system he runs?  Is he primary offense oriented? or Defense first?

I do like the fact that Hexy went out of the box and away from the good ol' boys club.  Only time will tell if this is a good move or not.

Archived