Official - Kessel to Pens for prospects, picks

pilldoc

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This.  All indications were that the guy was a good teammate (i.e. - good locker room guy). Hardly a locker room cancer.  Heck, one of his "worst" moments was sticking up for Phaneuf and calling out the Toronto media who he's clearly had some issues with....and many of whom are a little too big for their own britches. He's not a "face of the franchise" guy - certainly not in the hockey hot bed that is Toronto.  

A team like Pittsburgh - where he's not "the" guy (heck - not even the 2nd or 3rd guy) is a good fit.

let's hope your correct on this!

I think the Pens power play will be ridiculous.  Kessel , Crosby, Letang, Malkin do you put Kunitz out there in the tripod position ?   Or do go Maata, Letang, Kessel, Crosby, Malkin damn, that's an embarrassment of riches

go short-handed at  your peril against that group.  damn.

I also think Crosby's 200 foot game and tenacity will mask some of Phil's shortcomings , he may rub off on phil in a good (not gross @ruxpin)  way as well.

this is all in win now , still the issue with the bottom 6 hasn't been addressed and the defense is looking youngish and thin.  should be an interesting year in Pgh.

Seeing Fat Phil moved from my most hated team, to the 2nd most hated, well...it's heartwarming. He is a cancer, he will divide the team. He will demand special treatment....and Sid and Malkin will not like it...but will have to put up with it. The payment itself was not staggering, which is testament to the problem that Phil has become. A guaranteed top 10 scorer usually garners more payment than was given here....in short, the Leafs wanted him gone, by any means necessary. Kudos to them (Shanny, really) to identififing the problem and doing something about this.

The Pens had to make this move, mostly because of their own failure to bring up forwards through the draft and trades....it was always the Sid and Malkn show, with interchanangeable parts moved in and out. Now Phil joins the group....and I smile as I type this...this *will* get ugly.

@mojo1917

Not a bottom six issue... Maybe a fourth line issue. Third line is Dupuis-Sutter-Kunitz. And I really like that. I think that has great potential.

@jammer2

I'm glad your happy! Lol. My understanding however, is that Kessel was good in the locker room. Just bad with the media and fan criticism. He won't get that here so much as there is a lineup before him. The guy has out scored Malkin and Crosby in the past five years so... I'll take that chance.

Seeing Fat Phil moved from my most hated team, to the 2nd most hated, well...it's heartwarming. He is a cancer, he will divide the team. He will demand special treatment....and Sid and Malkin will not like it...but will have to put up with it. The payment itself was not staggering, which is testament to the problem that Phil has become. A guaranteed top 10 scorer usually garners more payment than was given here....in short, the Leafs wanted him gone, by any means necessary. Kudos to them (Shanny, really) to identififing the problem and doing something about this.

The Pens had to make this move, mostly because of their own failure to bring up forwards through the draft and trades....it was always the Sid and Malkn show, with interchanangeable parts moved in and out. Now Phil joins the group....and I smile as I type this...this *will* get ugly.

Still waiting for someone to explain this part to me.  This is a guy who went after the media for their treatment of a teammate.  Sounds like the exact opposite of a locker room cancer.

Kessel is going to LOVE Primanti Bros.  Fries for everyone on everything!!!

Hey - they put a salad on the sandwich, too! (OK  - cole slaw. But that's lettuce.)

Still waiting for someone to explain this part to me.  This is a guy who went after the media for their treatment of a teammate.  Sounds like the exact opposite of a locker room cancer.

Trust me....everyone in Ontario was shocked when Kessel stood up for a teammate.

The guy would show up eating hotdogs, cookies. He'd dog it in practise, workouts. He refused to backcheck, or even act like he cared at all without the puck. Go into the corner for a puck? Are you kidding? Then theres the whole "weird dude" personality. Think Bryz, only introverted.

Not a guy I want on my team. Doesn't mean he can't change. If he doesn't...good luck with that contract. If he does, I'd say you guys bought low.

@notfondajane

Maybe Phils disinterest in backchecking will help alleviate your hatred toward Fleury?

lmao! The point I'm was and still trying to make (using the hagelin goal as an example) Crosby missed his assignment which I am not excusing him of that! Fleury has to make that save! No excuse for letting him score from 10 feet when he had the angle covered! Everybody in the N.H.L. has a shot!

Trust me....everyone in Ontario was shocked when Kessel stood up for a teammate.

The guy would show up eating hotdogs, cookies. He'd dog it in practise, workouts. He refused to backcheck, or even act like he cared at all without the puck. Go into the corner for a puck? Are you kidding? Then theres the whole "weird dude" personality. Think Bryz, only introverted.

Not a guy I want on my team. Doesn't mean he can't change. If he doesn't...good luck with that contract. If he does, I'd say you guys bought low.

I get all that.  But I'd hardly call that a "locker room cancer".  Maybe it's semantics but when I hear that term I think of guys like...Barry Bonds.  Just all around a-holes. 

It is going to be an interesting case study of he does play w Sid. Both players want the puck and need the 9uck to be effective.

Pens fans as usual are buying into this move which reeks of the win now. In 3 to 4 years this will be a disaster of a contract. Keep up the great work Rutherford...

Saying draft picks are irrelevant really makes me think the pens fans are nuts - that type of win now mentality is not going to work in today's NHL. Besides, the pens need serious help on the bottom 6 and defense...

Archived