Your Unpopular Flyers Related Opinions

RJ8812

So what some opinions that you hold regarding this team that are unpopular among Flyers fans?

One of mine would be that I think we will be lucky if Laughton turns into anything more than a 4th liner. Too many people got excited after his last OHL season where he put up some nice points. He's not highly skilled, he's not a sniper, he doesn't have good hands or playmaking skills, he doesn't hit and he's nothing special in the face-off dot.

He just doesn't have the skill set for a 1st, 2nd or 3rd line center, or a top 2 or checking line winger. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what some opinions that you hold regarding this team that are unpopular among Flyers fans?

One of mine would be that I think we will be lucky if Laughton turns into anything more than a 4th liner. Too many people got excited after his last OHL season where he put up some nice points. He's not highly skilled, he's not a sniper, he doesn't have good hands or playmaking skills, he doesn't hit and he's nothing special in the face-off dot.

He just doesn't have the skill set for a 1st, 2nd or 3rd line center, or a top 2 or checking line winger. 

Just an FYI regarding Laughton...just in comparison, when Giroux was Laughtons age he'd played TWO games in the NHL. He certainly wasn't good at faceoffs. I don't think he's a superstar or anything, but I fully expect him to be much better than a 4th liner.

I have one that may be considered "unpopular" by Flyers fans.....

Steve Mason is NOT the goalie to help bring a championship to the city of Philadelphia.

Not an Eastern Championship, certainly not a Stanley Cup Championship.

Why?

Because while Mason may be a good goalie, unless he is absolutely PERFECT most nights, he does not have the kind of stout defense and consistent offense in front of him to make up for any lapses he may have (and we all know every goalie has them).

Mason is 27 (DEFINITELY in his prime), but by the time the Philly defense matures and rounds into championship form, Mason will likely NOT be in his prime, and if his recent injury history is any indication, may be derailed further by that.........especially if the Flyers don't find a capable back up so Hakstol doesn't feel he HAS to run Mason out every night (100% or not), just to have a shot at winning a game.

I mention something like this around some Flyer fans and they go ape$#it........

But IMO, Steve Mason: very good, capable goalie......but wrong place, wrong time to be part of a championship Flyers team.

His best value to the team may be to 'hold the fort' a bit while the Flyers find young enough #1 to grow with the team, THEN as a good trade chip to fill in any other blanks the team may have.

@ruxpin

She's also still better than 3/4s of the others in the league. 

I actually have not heard many good anthem singers in the NHL, so I'll stipulate to that.

And I think everyone sounds better on the Canadian National Anthem than the American.   One, because the American is a bit harder to sing and two, because the Canadian Anthem is a much nicer-sounding anthem.  I've always loved the Canadian National Anthem.

Rinaldo was not irrelevant to the team.

Holmgren wasn't THAT bad of a GM, but when he shat the bed, he must have had Chipotle for dinner.

The defense isn't as bad as the forwards casual neutral zone play made it appear.

Luke and MacD aren't that bad.

Brayden isn't that bad.

Read isn't that good.

I actually have not heard many good anthem singers in the NHL, so I'll stipulate to that.

And I think everyone sounds better on the Canadian National Anthem than the American.   One, because the American is a bit harder to sing and two, because the Canadian Anthem is a much nicer-sounding anthem.  I've always loved the Canadian National Anthem.

I don't think the national anthems should be sung before any NHL games 

Canadian Anthem is a much nicer-sounding anthem.

I don't know about that. Sometimes when some Americans (and Canadians probably) sing the "Can-aaa-DA" they pronounce the last part "DUH!" It's hard enough being Canadian living next door to you a-holes, we don't need to be called dense.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of God Bless America, which I came to know only because I was a Flyer fan. I love it.

I don't know about that. Sometimes when some Americans (and Canadians probably) sing the "Can-aaa-DA" they pronounce the last part "DUH!" It's hard enough being Canadian living next door to you a-holes, we don't need to be called dense.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of God Bless America, which I came to know only because I was a Flyer fan. I love it.

I pronounce it "duh," but only because the alternative sounds really weird to me. "Colorado" ends in "duh," too.

Oh, and musically I'm okay with" God Bless America," but the sentiment annoys the crap out of me.

I don't think the national anthems should be sung before any NHL games

You're going to get strung up for that. I said very similar once, and you'd have thought I suggested that Jerry Sandusky should get conjugal visits from Cub Scouts.

Archived