Your Unpopular Flyers Related Opinions

RJ8812

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2010 Flyers... interesting I thought they had more points, and all the they were lucky to be there talk was typical philadelphia fan misplaced hatred.  but the numbers don't lie.  I thought that team was better than it played for much of the season.  

but Bill Parcells is right more often than he's wrong.

Record: 41-35-6 (88 points), Finished 3rd in NHL Atlantic Division 

2010 Flyers... interesting I thought they had more points, and all the they were lucky to be there talk was typical philadelphia fan misplaced hatred.  but the numbers don't lie.  I thought that team was better than it played for much of the season.  

but Bill Parcells is right more often than he's wrong.

Record: 41-35-6 (88 points), Finished 3rd in NHL Atlantic Division 

I just remember its being a very painful, very frustrating season that the playoffs suddenly made us forget...and then, of course, the crushing pumpkin at the end.

@radoran

here's the thing, it hasn't been 120 seasons of sucking like the 1999-2006 Baltimore Orioles or the 1976-82 Tampa Bay Buccaneers...or the current Sixers :blink[1]: there have been super bowl appearances, NFC championship game appearances,  World Series and playoff appearances in addition to the championship.  the hockey team has never really "sucked" . So yes. misplaced.

there have been opportunities to win.  its not like there was never a chance to win .

there have been opportunities to win. its not like there was never a chance to win .

From 1983-2014

Flyers: 4 Finals (8 missed playoffs)

- the hockey team never "sucked"?? Did you miss 1989-1994?? 6th, 5th, 6th, 5th, 6th

- six first round exits

- five conference finals

Sixers: 1 Finals (14 missed playoffs)

- eight first round exits

- 1 conference final

Eagles: 1 Finals (16 missed playoffs)

- six first round exits

- four conference finals

Phillies: 3 Finals (25 missed playoffs) - one championship

- two first round exits

- one playoff from 1984-2006 (put that up against the Bawlmer Oweos or the Tampa Bay Nyucks)

Moreover, I don't gauge Philadelphia's "success" as to whether they were better than cherry picking woeful Baltimore or Tampa Bay seasons (and, just for the record, Tampa has twice as many championships over that span and Bawlmer has two, too) - neither of which has four major sports teams. And, actually, the Phillies were worse than both the teams you mention...

So, sure, the teams got to the Finals nine times of that 120, and missed the playoffs more than half the time (63) and got bounced in the first round 22 times.

So, no, not "misplaced" at all.

-the young D men should each get a handful (5-10) NHL games this year. Not to expect them to get it but to give them a glimpse of the reality of where they're headed while the work on their games in th AHL.

-Probably No NHL players in the cap era are worth 8 million dollars let alone 2.

-Vinny and MacDonald have a chance at being productive under Hakstol. MacDonald probably a good chance.

-I really like the player and the guy he seems to be, but I really need to see a more consistent game from Simmonds.

Wait you said one thing... Oops.

-I really like the player and the guy he seems to be, but I really need to see a more consistent game from Simmonds.

Hasn't he lead the team in goals in back to back seasons?

And for 3.9mill for the next 4 years that dude is the least of this teams worries.

Really if anything maybe overachieving...Brayden would kill for his numbers.

He's quite good. I just think he's even better than he's showing thus far.

Increased consistency overall. He could be great. Imagine if he put his game together with he sort of consistency Jake did last year? He'd be a next level guy!

Hasn't he lead the team in goals in back to back seasons?

And for 3.9mill for the next 4 years that dude is the least of this teams worries.

Really if anything maybe overachieving...Brayden would kill for his numbers.

Here's one that will get me slaughtered: Rod Brind'amour's Flyers' career is overrated and over-romanticized by Flyer fans.

The truth is he was fairly average and in his final season, in particular, he was prone to the brain dead blind pass from the left offensive boards that caused had aches going the other way.

I didn't hate him (though he aggravated the crap out of me in his last Flyers playoffs) but he didn't walk on water unless it was frozen.

That said, I wasn't thrilled with what they traded him for, either.

Increased consistency overall. He could be great. Imagine if he put his game together with he sort of consistency Jake did last year? He'd be a next level guy!

I'm a big fan of Simmonds, but I have to agree with this. Lack of consistency seems to be a Flyer thing, so maybe - - maybe - - it's something he picked up here. Hopefully (I know) the new coach will get Simmonds and many of his teammates to improve in that respect.

Yeah but Simmer was moved all over the place up to the 1st line down to the 2nd and 3rd...Jake played RW on G's line that is it.

Simmer is 26 with 3 28 goals seasons (lead the team the last two years despite being yo-yod) under his belt at half the cost....when will Jake just get one.

And Simmer is half the cost.

Give him a consistent line with consistent lineages...and maybe he'll find consistency.

But like I said he is the least of my worries.

We were, I believe asked to report our unpopular opinions.

Hopefully Hakstol sees all this and helps Wayne find his consistency. The guy should be a dynamic player to be reckoned with.

Yeah but Simmer was moved all over the place up to the 1st line down to the 2nd and 3rd...Jake played RW on G's line that is it.

Simmer is 26 with 3 28 goals seasons (lead the team the last two years despite being yo-yod) under his belt at half the cost....when will Jake just get one.

And Simmer is half the cost.

Give him a consistent line with consistent lineages...and maybe he'll find consistency.

But like I said he is the least of my worries.

That's really common, and pretty much happens to every SC winner and finalist. But I disagree about 2010. That team was one of the best Flyers teams we've had in a long time, aside from our goalie. We had the right mix of players and clicked. We had Young guys stepping up their play in the post season (Giroux, Leino), we had players playing great in their primes (Richards, Hartnell, Carle, Gagne, Coburn), and we had older players that were playing like their were younger (Briere, Pronger, Timonen). We had 4 lines of forwards and our top-2 defense pairs that knew their roles, and played their asses off for a smart coach. The only shortcomings for that team was a mediocre 3rd pair on the blueline and **** between pipes.

See the reason why I say that this team was good but not great was the parts of your post that bolded.  For me a great team is a team that is sound and complete and has virtually no holes.  We had major holes at D and obviously in net.  As Rux pointed out things broke just the right way for us until the final when the clock struck midnight (I mean we had to win a shootout to get in the playoffs Boosh vs Lundy no less with our horrible shootout record and all).  It was a great ride and a ton of fun don't get me wrong (I got to attend a SC Final and see the POW trophy presented to the Flyers in person).  Full marks to the guys for doing the best best they could with what they had but to me the better team won (unfortunately) and this Flyers team was simply not that great.

See the reason why I say that this team was good but not great was the parts of your post that bolded.  For me a great team is a team that is sound and complete and has virtually no holes.  We had major holes at D and obviously in net.  As Rux pointed out things broke just the right way for us until the final when the clock struck midnight (I mean we had to win a shootout to get in the playoffs Boosh vs Lundy no less with our horrible shootout record and all).  It was a great ride and a ton of fun don't get me wrong (I got to attend a SC Final and see the POW trophy presented to the Flyers in person).  Full marks to the guys for doing the best best they could with what they had but to me the better team won (unfortunately) and this Flyers team was simply not that great.

The team had underachieved the whole season. Just like LA did in 2012 (yes, I know they had an all-star goalie, but they barely made it into the playoffs, and clicked when it mattered, just like the Flyers in 2010). But you're also forgetting that we had a much better goalie that season who was injured. If Emery was healthy in the playoffs, I still think we would have won. But he wasn't, so we will never know. Major wholes on the blueline was a bit of a stretch. They weren't the best 3rd pair, but Lavy was good a keeping them sheltered for the most part

Agreed 2010 was what it was, but I did think the team was very good in 1997, just ran into that...er, choking situation. Which really isnt the

reason they lost, Detroit was just that much better. They coulda played best of 47 and it still woulda been a sweep

I think that the 1997 team was better than the 2010 team for sure.  As I said in my response regarding the 2010 team however my personal standard for what I consider great teams are ones that are complete with few holes (if any) up and down the roster.  I feel that the 1997 team was not complete in that we relied to heavily on the Legion of Doom.  Detroit shut them down and there were few candidates in the mix to pick up the slack in the scoring department.  This lack of secondary scoring was a major factor in the defeat and is why I have considered the 1997 team very good but not great.

@radoran

i'm not letting this one go. The only bad years for the hockey team were the five years after the dismantling of the Propp Kerr Poulin team and the first year of Richards-Carter 05-06 .

Even last year when they were dreadful to watch some nights, they still won more than they lost.  I know more than half the teams make the tournament so missing the playoffs is not "good" yet that tean played meaningful hockey until the mid March Boston Massacre . 

My point is this:

The city booed mike schmidt, didn't like a perennial 25 goal scorer because he skated too effortlessly, the fan base is a ****ed up mess  that doesn't know when it has it good.  This isn't Cleveland , Buffalo or Charlotte.

Archived