Why haven't the Flyers traded Streit?

Jmdodgesrt4

I just don't understand why we haven't traded streit yet? Maybe teams of interest with limited cap space must wait till the trade deadline. However, I feel this team with minor additions is better then last year especially since berube is gone. The head coach will have a better system in place. Back to streit. He has value. I think good value. Maybe not 1st round potential at this point. At the deadline maybe. But if we are a bubble team I doubt we trade him putting us back in the same spot next offseason. Thoughts?

@Jmdodgesrt4  Despite Streit's age....which is getting up there at 37, he's good at what he does. He is scheduled to run the Flyers top pp unit. That kind of a thing is not easily replaced. Sure, if somebody steps forward during the season, he may be expendable, but as it stands now, he's almost guaranteed to be an Flyer until at least the trade deadline. Perhaps Del Zotto can take the mantle on the top pp, or maybe Ghost steps up at some point, but you just don't trade your top pp d-man.

I wasn't crazy about acquiring Streit (how did we get him again, FA?) but he's played well for the Flyers all in all. What's more he doesn't appear to have lost any mobility or speed...at least not yet. Good guy to have around I think, as FC noted as a mentor for Ghost, etc.

I like Mark Streit fine, but he's been past the first round of the playoffs in the NHL once in three goes (the fourth he played one game in 05-06) and has been on teams that have missed the playoffs five times.

It's great that he's a "veteran leader" but he's never really "lead" anyone to any sort of success, even as the first Swiss-born captain in NHL history.

He hasn't been traded because no one really wants to pick up a 37-year-old (38 in December) "mobile, PP QB" with two more years on the deal at $5.25M per.

Let's see how DelZotto (Medvedev?) develop as PP QBs and perhaps Streit has some value at the deadline.

Say, two seconds? :ph34r:

Say, two seconds?

I agreed with all of your post, but that made me laugh.

I'm okay with Streit, but I get the idea of moving him if kids are becoming ready.  I also think he's a better deadline deal than an offseason move (although next summer he has one year left, right?  That may be doable; I just don't think you get as much as holding someone hostage at the deadline).

He, of course, has a NTC/NMC, right?  Don't all of them?

I agreed with all of your post, but that made me laugh.

I'm okay with Streit, but I get the idea of moving him if kids are becoming ready. I also think he's a better deadline deal than an offseason move (although next summer he has one year left, right? That may be doable; I just don't think you get as much as holding someone hostage at the deadline).

He, of course, has a NTC/NMC, right? Don't all of them?

No clause according to hockeyscap just 35+

Interesting stats in support of Streit as he continues to grow old...

http://www.pattisonave.com/mark-streit-and-aging/

Key takeaway

The good news is... his effectiveness should render him tradeable for a decent return to a team in need of a puck mover on the blue line.

Too bad the "good news" isn't "he'll help a team go deep in the playoffs"

:hocky:

Well the Isles just got good fairly recently. Streit suffered through some pretty awful seasons with them, then left as they were finally starting to click and become playoff worthy. Your point is still valid of course; the facts are what they are. But he wasn't exactly positioned to lead the Islanders very far in the POs.

The plus 35+ status may be more reason to trade him than anything that happens on the ice. If his play does take a hit, who is gonna give a guy with +35 distinction a chance, it's kinda like musical chairs, you don't want to be the one without a seat when his play takes a hit....although, to be fair, he has shown no signs of pending implosion....but I would understand about guarding against it.

Well the Isles just got good fairly recently. Streit suffered through some pretty awful seasons with them, then left as they were finally starting to click and become playoff worthy. Your point is still valid of course; the facts are what they are. But he wasn't exactly positioned to lead the Islanders very far in the POs.

I've said (more than once) he's always been the best defenseman on a bad team.

To be fair, he was captain when the Isles went to their first playoff in recent memory (and lost in the first round). But, to me, he's basically a Sheldon Souray-type (which ties back into his time with the Habs) -  a guy who puts up regular season numbers, but never really seems to do much else.

Souray had 64 points on the blue line for a Habs team that didn't makes the playoffs in 06-07 and 53 in 81 for an Oilers team that wasn't very good either. Streit, meanwhile, with 56, 49, 47 for the Isles in three playoff-less seasons.

And, again, I'm just responding to the idea that his "veteran" leadership is important to the team. I just don't see that as a deciding factor to keep him around.

Because a TON of their power play goals only happen because of him?

i.e he's still very useful as a player and his contract isn't god-awful and also, oh yeah, someone has to be a vet on our blue line.

Perhaps if MDZ continues to look strong and they're not looking like they're in playoff contention, they'll consider moving Streit at the deadline, but if this team looks remotely close to a playoff spot, I'd look for Mark to be around through their run, however far it goes.  He's highly beneficial and with Hakstol running things, I expect that to only increase.

just don't understand why we haven't traded streit yet? Maybe teams of interest with limited cap space must wait till the trade deadline. However, I feel this team with minor additions is better then last year especially since berube is gone. The head coach will have a better system in place. Back to streit. He has value. I think good value. Maybe not 1st round potential at this point. At the deadline maybe. But if we are a bubble team I doubt we trade him putting us back in the same spot next offseason. Thoughts?

To be fair, he was captain when the Isles went to their first playoff in recent memory (and lost in the first round). But, to me, he's basically a Sheldon Souray-type (which ties back into his time with the Habs) - a guy who puts up regular season numbers, but never really seems to do much else.

That is pretty fair. I don't see him as a strong "follow my lead" type. I see him as a point producer for hire. When the pts decrease and or his mobility, he will be a liability....like I said, you don't want to be the guy with no chair when the music stops....ha ha.

He hasn't been traded because no one really wants to pick up a 37-year-old (38 in December) "mobile, PP QB" with two more years on the deal at $5.25M per.

I honestly doubt that's true at all.  He's still quite good and a contender would take him in a heartbeat as he only has 2 seasons left on his contract which looks to be ending at an entirely reasonable time in his career (for a change, thank you very much Homer).

Streit was 2nd in the league (by 1) in PP assists.  This team did very little well last year, but scoring on the PP was what they did the best (3rd in the damn league).  That stat is LARGELY due to Streit and how he carries the blue line.  MDZ got his crap together and looked great by the end of the year two, but Streit was an anchor all year and frankly if the team looks to continue having PP success, they'll need him.

He's around because he's contributing.  If someone offers me a deals for Streit, Grossman, Timmo and Coburn, it really makes sense to keep one of those guys and of all of them, Streit's the one who was doing the most for THIS team last year  -though admittedly, Coburn turned into an animal in the playoffs for Tampa. 

And, again, I'm just responding to the idea that his "veteran" leadership is important to the team. I just don't see that as a deciding factor to keep him around.

Sure that makes sense. I never saw him as a leader with the Isles anyway despite the C (probably because he never led them anywhere). :)

But I'm okay with him running the PP and being the veteran voice on the blue line, for whatever it's worth...until somebody else steps into the role he's the best we've got.

Especially when i don't think he is that good in his own zone. Yes he can teach him some offensive stuff...but hell Ghost can probaly give him some pointers or how to play better in his end....is that a slight exaggeration?

Yes slightly. But Streit leaves a lot to be desired around his goal.

He's still quite good and a contender would take him in a heartbeat

Which "contender" is that, exactly?

Chicago? New York? Lightning? Habs? Caps? Isles? Ducks? Canucks? Preds? Pens? Wild? Jets? Blues? Flames?

There are your playoff teams last season. Which one is lining up to take Streit "in a heartbeat" and give up a nice asset to do it? I just don't see one.

"Contenders" have their blue line in place right now. If there is a problem with injury during the season then his value for "a contender" goes up substantially. That's the point. If there was a team out there rightnow offering a solid return on him, I have to believe Hextall would bite on that. Until then, he'll wait until there is a solid return.

Streit was 2nd in the league (by 1) in PP assists. This team did very little well last year, but scoring on the PP was what they did the best (3rd in the damn league). That stat is LARGELY due to Streit and how he carries the blue line. MDZ got his crap together and looked great by the end of the year two, but Streit was an anchor all year and frankly if the team looks to continue having PP success, they'll need him.

Again, Sheldon Souray leaps to mind (48 ppp, 29 ppa (of 64 points - 75%) for a Montreal team that went nowhere in 06-07.

Having a guy who puts up a lot of power play points isn't necessarily the key to playoff/championship success. Primarily because power plays are few and far between in the postseason.

Chicago's top defenceman (Keith) was 20th in the league among defencemen for PPA last year. Stralman on Tampa was 30th.

But I'm okay with him running the PP and being the veteran voice on the blue line, for whatever it's worth...until somebody else steps into the role he's the best we've got.

Look, in the end (and in the absence of other options) I'm fine with it, too. But how do we know if a DelZotto or a Gotstobehere or anyone else can take that role if a 38-year-old is sitting in the way as "the best option" rightnow?

Essentially, if we're looking to put together a squad to win the Cup, I don't see that happening next season and I don't see Mark Streit around after the next one, regardless.

If they can get something for him (*cough* pair of seconds *cough*) I'll take it and let the chips fall where they may this season and next.

Which "contender" is that, exactly?

Chicago? New York? Lightning? Habs? Caps? Isles? Ducks? Canucks? Preds? Pens? Wild? Jets? Blues? Flames?

There are your playoff teams last season. Which one is lining up to take Streit "in a heartbeat" and give up a nice asset to do it? I just don't see one.

"Contenders" have their blue line in place right now. If there is a problem with injury during the season then his value for "a contender" goes up substantially. That's the point. If there was a team out there rightnow offering a solid return on him, I have to believe Hextall would bite on that. Until then, he'll wait until there is a solid return.

Again, Sheldon Souray leaps to mind (48 ppp, 29 ppa (of 64 points - 75%) for a Montreal team that went nowhere in 06-07.

Having a guy who puts up a lot of power play points isn't necessarily the key to playoff/championship success. Primarily because power plays are few and far between in the postseason.

Chicago's top defenceman (Keith) was 20th in the league among defencemen for PPA last year. Stralman on Tampa was 30th.

Look, in the end (and in the absence of other options) I'm fine with it, too. But how do we know if a DelZotto or a Gotstobehere or anyone else can take that role if a 38-year-old is sitting in the way as "the best option" rightnow?

Essentially, if we're looking to put together a squad to win the Cup, I don't see that happening next season and I don't see Mark Streit around after the next one, regardless.

If they can get something for him (*cough* pair of seconds *cough*) I'll take it and let the chips fall where they may this season and next.

Sorry, not sure what went wrong when I tried to reply the first time.  here's what i said:

>>Which "contender" is that, exactly?

It was a hypothetical that would be applied near the trade deadline.  Maybe the Kings this year... who knows?

>>>Chicago? New York? Lightning? Habs? Caps? Isles? Ducks? Canucks? Preds? Pens? Wild? Jets? Blues? Flames?

>>>There are your playoff teams last season. Which one is lining up to take Streit "in a heartbeat" and give up a nice asset to do it? I

>>>just don't see one.

Well I see TWO and they both took D men off our hands at the deadline last year and they both made it to the finals and one of them won the cup... that's what I see.  Timmo's help is debatable at best, but I honestly don't think the Lightning make it to the playoffs without Coburn upping his game and playing as strongly as he did.  And that was Coburn who's contributions to the Flyers before the trade were debatable at BEST.  Imagine being offered the guy who is making the Flyers the #3 PP team in the league at the deadline.  You don't think the Blackhawks or the Lightning or anyone one of those teams who might have had the cap room wouldn't go for THAT guy?

He probably wasn't on offer and if he was I'm sure Hextall would have been asking too much.  Streit was a HUGE part in making this team what little it was last year.  If you were any of those teams, you're telling me you wouldn't take Streit over Timmo OR Coburn?  I would have in a heartbeat if I was thinking of making a cup run.  Yzerman wanted Coburn and I applaud him because I never thought Brayden was the reason for his downturn the last two seasons, but that doesn't mean Yzerman or another GM wouldn't have wanted Streit as well.

Who knows, maybe Hextall had potential deals for Streit, but pulled out because he was fishing for that #1 for Coburn or pulled out after he knew he'd already dumped 2 vets on D?  Again, if I'm Hextall last year, I'm looking at my team and I know that Streit is the one Vet D man who is contributing the most and I'm probably going to ask the most for him as a result. 

If Coburn who was underachieving and looked horrible for being misused looked good enough for a first and Gudas, what do you think a top scoring D man fetches?

>>>"Contenders" have their blue line in place right now. If there is a problem with injury during the season then his value for "a

>>>contender" goes up substantially. That's the point. If there was a team out there rightnow offering a solid return on him, I have to

>>>believe Hextall would bite on that. Until then, he'll wait until there is a solid return.

See above.  Again, Chicago and Tampa thought maybe they could use a little shoring up.  It seems to have worked out okay for them.

And the Flyers probably aren't going to trade anyone good to a divisional rival so you can cross off some of those teams right from the get go.

>>>Again, Sheldon Souray leaps to mind (48 ppp, 29 ppa (of 64 points - 75%) for a Montreal team that went nowhere in 06-07.

What does Sheldon Souray have to do with anything?  He was already on the Habs the year that you're talking about and was sent to the Oilers directly thereafter.  Are we criticizing Sheldon Souray as a terrible pick-up because he couldn't bring the already pretty crappy Oilers into the playoffs in a year in which he got hurt?

>>>Having a guy who puts up a lot of power play points isn't necessarily the key to playoff/championship success. Primarily because

>>>power plays are few and far between in the postseason.

I disagree, I think it makes having a guy who puts up points on the PP even more vital because each one is of the utmost importance.

>>>Chicago's top defenceman (Keith) was 20th in the league among defencemen for PPA last year. Stralman on Tampa was 30th.

Thanks for making my point so succinctly.  The best D men on the two finals teams didn't put up top PP numbers... so if you're a GM on one of those teams, wouldn't a guy who DOES put up PP numbers seem attractive as maybe that's something your team doesn't have in spades?

>>>Look, in the end (and in the absence of other options) I'm fine with it, too. But how do we know if a DelZotto or a Gotstobehere or

>>>anyone else can take that role if a 38-year-old is sitting in the way as "the best option" rightnow?

Well first of all, if Ghost is going to be able to approach that role, it won't be until about the time that Streit's contract is up.  MDZ might be able to fill that role, but he'll have more than half a season to audition for the role on the 2nd PP unit.  If he's looking consistently as strong as he was down the stretch run last year, AND the Flyers don't look like a playoff team at the deadline, then I say by all means, trade Streit.

If the Flyers however look like they're probably going to make the playoffs, I'd only trade him if someone is offering you something insane for him.  If we'd have had one more guy like Streit in 2010, or 2008, I honestly think the chances are very good that this team would have at least one more cup by now.

>>>Essentially, if we're looking to put together a squad to win the Cup, I don't see that happening next season and I don't see Mark

>>>Streit around after the next one, regardless.

That gives us two trade deadlines to move him for top dollar.  The Tampa and Chicago deals really prove that you can get the best deals when teams can taste cup fever.  And ESPECIALLY after last year, every team in the league is going to look at the Coburn deal especially and the Timmonen deal a bit less so (though handing him the cup 2nd won't hurt) and think that trading the farm for a guy like Streit is a really good idea.

However, with the talent this team has up front and the potential of Hakstol running things, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Flyers aren't in a similar position that any team they might trade with in that having a guy like Streit in their Jersey down the stretch and going into the playoffs will seem like a really good idea.

>>If they can get something for him (*cough* pair of seconds *cough*) I'll take it and let the chips fall where they may this season and

>>next.

I say wait until the deadline and see where things are and what's on the table for him.  A pair of seconds now doesn't help much but stock up on depth for 3 years time.  I'd rather have Streit around to mentor Ghost a bit in camp and practice.  MDZ and Ghost will benefit from it greatly.

Why are we talking about Streit?  He's gone in two years and contributing.   Coburn and Grossman and L. Schenn were in the same boat.  Contributing or not, they and their contracts weren't the problem.  At least Streit was contributing AND his contract isn't a real problem. 

Archived