What's wrong with the Flyers?

NRH

Everything...but the goaltending.

When's the last time we've said that about the Flyers?  :cool[1]:

It's enough to make you go on a bender and then take your Porsche and plough it into a concrete wall 

It's enough to make you go on a bender and then take your Porsche and plough it into a concrete wall 

Probably caused by the "bully" effect Homer had as a player............even then he was ruining the Flyers from within......... :hocky:

Voracek's a puzzler... Last year wasn't a fluke:

-He didn't ride a freakish shooting percentage.

-His GF% and CF% were the same, so there's no regression to the meat.

-He's getting the same zone starts he had the previous three years: 60%.

-He's shooting even more this year than he did last year (13 SH/60 compared to 9 SH/60) so it's not like he's not getting chances. Is he wasting shots, or taking them from bad spots?

xNzCS4G.jpg

-No. While Voracek in on the ice, the Flyers are taking an insane amount of shots from the home plate where goals are scored: 4.5 times league average.

Voracek, so far, is the anti-Calgary Flames. To the extent that they rode a preposterous amount of unsustainable good luck, he's on a bad luck streak for the ages right now. I have zero doubt that this will be anything more than a temporary thing for him. He's NOT having a bad year.

Right from the NHL channel I watched two shows that they discussed this on.  The opinion of some is its their defense and their back end is forcing their offense to play 3 vs 5 offense.  Streit is the only exception.  As for the coach, they pretty much ate him up.  Said his system is the reason Voracek is scoreless and they do not believe its all his fault.  But they do admit he is snakebitten.  Today on the show they say they are not a dump and chase team.  So that is also hurting them.  They do not believe this coach will survive to see the turnaround whenever it comes.  So perhaps he is on thin ice?  So they are criticizing the system more than the players.  But they do say the defense is bad except for Streit

Dump and chase HURTS you now, because you're giving up puck possession in hopes of getting it back. Sure, you need to have that in your back pocket and use it from time to time. But, look around the NHL. There's not one single high level team using the dump and chase very much at all. It's all about how much you have the puck, and simply handing the opposition a free chance to get it back is plain silly.

Right from the NHL channel I watched two shows that they discussed this on.  The opinion of some is its their defense and their back end is forcing their offense to play 3 vs 5 offense.  Streit is the only exception.  As for the coach, they pretty much ate him up.  Said his system is the reason Voracek is scoreless and they do not believe its all his fault.  But they do admit he is snakebitten.  Today on the show they say they are not a dump and chase team.  So that is also hurting them.  They do not believe this coach will survive to see the turnaround whenever it comes.  So perhaps he is on thin ice?  So they are criticizing the system more than the players.  But they do say the defense is bad except for Streit

THIS is what I've been saying about our defense. When your D is this bad, it DOES effect offense. 

Right from the NHL channel I watched two shows that they discussed this on. The opinion of some is its their defense and their back end is forcing their offense to play 3 vs 5 offense. Streit is the only exception. As for the coach, they pretty much ate him up. Said his system is the reason Voracek is scoreless and they do not believe its all his fault. But they do admit he is snakebitten. Today on the show they say they are not a dump and chase team. So that is also hurting them. They do not believe this coach will survive to see the turnaround whenever it comes. So perhaps he is on thin ice? So they are criticizing the system more than the players. But they do say the defense is bad except for Streit

Which shows? Im on there pretty often but never get any flyers chat.

Dump and chase HURTS you now, because you're giving up puck possession in hopes of getting it back. Sure, you need to have that in your back pocket and use it from time to time. But, look around the NHL. There's not one single high level team using the dump and chase very much at all. It's all about how much you have the puck, and simply handing the opposition a free chance to get it back is plain silly.

Good teams don't dump and chase that much because they don't need to. The Flyers don't have the skill to consistently carry the puck into the offensive zone. You need defensemen who are good in transition and can carry the puck through the neutral zone, the Flyers don't have many of those. Nor do they have forwards who have the skill and creativity (other than Giroux and Voracek) to work the puck in and get set up.

-He's shooting even more this year than he did last year (13 SH/60 compared to 9 SH/60) so it's not like he's not getting chances. Is he wasting shots, or taking them from bad spots?

xNzCS4G.jpg

-No. While Voracek in on the ice, the Flyers are taking an insane amount of shots from the home plate where goals are scored: 4.5 times league average.

Voracek, so far, is the anti-Calgary Flames. To the extent that they rode a preposterous amount of unsustainable good luck, he's on a bad luck streak for the ages right now. I have zero doubt that this will be anything more than a temporary thing for him. He's NOT having a bad year.

there is no doubt he is taking shots and getting chance...  the question right now is when are those going to become goals and assists.   He is not getting paid to miss the net.   I think he will be fine but Jeff Carter was not given the leeway that Jake is getting for missing the net...

I think he will be fine but Jeff Carter was not given the leeway that Jake is getting for missing the net...

And Crater had 46, 33 and 36 goals in the three seasons before he was dealt. He hasn't had fewer goals than Jake in a season - ever - including the trade year when he had 21 in 55 games (to Jake's 18 in 78). And that "46" number is more goals in one season than Jake has had in the past two.

I, too, think Jake will be "fine" but I just don't think that "fine" is an $8.25M "fine"

And Crater had 46, 33 and 36 goals in the three seasons before he was dealt. He hasn't had fewer goals than Jake in a season - ever - including the trade year when he had 21 in 55 games (to Jake's 18 in 78). And that "46" number is more goals in one season than Jake has had in the past two.

I, too, think Jake will be "fine" but I just don't think that "fine" is an $8.25M "fine"

BINGO!!!!!  But Carter "sucked" right?!?

xNzCS4G.jpg

Yeah two years ago it took Giroux 16 games to score his first goal...so I hope it doesn't last long.

Rank Defenseman Corsi For Percentage Corsi Relative to Teammates
1 Luke Schenn..........53.14%...................... 5.25%
2 Michael Del Zotto...51.45%...................... 5.14%
3 Evgeny Medvedev. 51.24% ......................3.20%
4 Radko Gudas ........51.08%.......................6.23%
5 Mark Streit .............46.37%..................... -3.11%
6 Brandon Manning. .44.22%..................... -5.32%
7 Nick Schultz ..........40.27%..................... -11.17%

Rank Defenseman Corsi For Percentage Corsi Relative to Teammates

1 Luke Schenn..........53.14%...................... 5.25%

2 Michael Del Zotto...51.45%...................... 5.14%

3 Evgeny Medvedev. 51.24% ......................3.20%

4 Radko Gudas ........51.08%.......................6.23%

5 Mark Streit .............46.37%..................... -3.11%

6 Brandon Manning. .44.22%..................... -5.32%

7 Nick Schultz ..........40.27%..................... -11.17%

Just shows you anything inspired by Darcy Reiger is fundamentally flawed.

:D

Archived