Game #16 - Capitals at Flyers - Nov 12 2015 - 7:00 ET

brelic

Meltzer's writeup: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-111215-vs-WSH/45/72441

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 1.80 (29th), Capitals 3.00 (T-5th)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.87 (T-22nd), Capitals 2.29 (6th)
Even strength Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 19/26, Capitals 32/26
Power play efficiency: Flyers 13.6% (27th), Capitals 20.4% (11th)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 79.0% (18th), Capitals 85.0% (7th)
Shots per game: Flyers 30.7 (T-11th), Capitals 30.7 (T-11th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 34.3 (29th), Capitals 25.3 (1st)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 50.2% (T-13th), Capitals 50.1% (15th)

Projected lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS 

12 Michael Raffl - 28 Claude Giroux - 93 Jakub Voracek
24 Matt Read - 14 Sean Couturier - 17 Wayne Simmonds
89 Sam Gagner -10 Brayden Schenn - 40 Vincent Lecavalier
76 Chris VandeVelde - 21 Scott Laughton - 25 Ryan White

15 Michael Del Zotto - 32 Mark Streit
55 Nick Schultz - 22 Luke Schenn 
23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas

35 Steve Mason
[30 Michal Neuvirth]

Scratches: R.J. Umberger (foot injury), Evgeny Medvedev (questionable, upper body), Pierre-Edouard Bellemare (questionable, lower body).

CAPITALS

8 Alexander Ovechkin - 92 Evgeny Kuznetsov - 77 T.J. Oshie
90 Marcus Johansson - 19 Nicklas Backström - 65 Andre Burakovsky
25 Jason Chimera - 83 Jay Beagle - 14 Justin Williams
21 Brooks Laich - 18 Chandler Stephenson - 43 Tom Wilson

44 Brooks Orpik or 4 Taylor Chorney - 74 John Carlson
27 Karl Alzner - 2 Matt Niskanen
9 Dmitri Orlov - 88 Nate Schmidt

70 Braden Holtby
[31 Philipp Grubauer]

Scratches: Brooks Orpik (lower body) or Taylor Chorney (healthy), Stanislav Galie

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN  10h10 hours ago
Covering #Flyers long time & never seen such a violent prax. Luke Schenn lifting and slamming Radko Gudas.

HA! Luke taking a page out of the book Vinny wrote. When chance arises take out your competition for you roster spot. 

I am with you Bert....  

I just dont get putting Raff on the first line... give Gagner a shot - he brings much more skill than Raff.  As for VLC and Manning - who the hell knows.

Amen. Get Raffle out of there....if it is so clear to us, the average fan....then why can't a pro coach spot this problem and fix it? 

Greetings:

My gut says this "playing down" problem is no coincidence.  I think we play well versus the tough teams because the coaches and players know beforehand they have to play shutdown hockey to survive.  Playing the weaklings makes them think wide-open hockey.  Truth is, if they get scored on first they lose.  It is a sad reality...they have to play not to lose rather than to win....to win.  G-d that is clumsy.

Howie

this one could get ugly...

Gee I can hardly wait to get down there...at least tonight for STHs we have the opportunity to get pictures with Danny B and $2 off fountain drinks...too bad it is not adult drinks as we will likely need them!

Based on the Flyers recent play, lack of heart and the fact that Mason will be rusty, this has all the makings of another 7-1 blowout like a couple years ago. Only difference is that Emery isn't around to mug Holtby and best the piss out of him.

Fully expect the Caps to get over 50 SOG.

Amen. Get Raffle out of there....if it is so clear to us, the average fan....then why can't a pro coach spot this problem and fix it? 

I would have tried Gagner on the top line before now and there is a good chance that Hackstol has looked at that in practice.

They really must be down on Gagner or something.

Because the answer to "why is Raffl on the top line" is generally "who the hell else are you going to put there?"

I would have tried Gagner on the top line before now and there is a good chance that Hackstol has looked at that in practice.

Because the answer to "why is Raffl on the top line" is generally "who the hell else are you going to put there?"

Yeah, this whole Gagner thing is weird to me. With guys like Raffl and Read basically invisible, you'd think it would be easy enough to do something - anything - to make them have to put you in there. I don't get it. 

I want gagne on the first line but there has to be a reason they dont do it...right?

My problem is more with Raffle still being there and them not doing a thing to switch up that line. Am I missing something...is that line clicking? They've tried a new guy here and there but it only seems to last a shift or two.

Would it be so bad to scratch jake for a game or two. Not to say "you're not working hard enough and you suck" but just to let him soak it in and hope he sees something.

For about 5 games now, I cant understand Hak's thinking with these lines.

Archived