Reasonable Best-Case Scenarios

elmatus

For the sake of discussion, let's look at what might be a reasonable best-case scenario for the Flyers over the next year or two. The idea here is not to delve too much into wishful thinking, but to be near the likely tip of what can really be expected of the team as it stands.

Breaking it down to the level of individual players first:

1. Giroux stays elite. He's one of the absolute best in the league. It's hard to really want too much more out of the guy.

2. Mason stays reasonably good. He'll never be Carey Price good, but he's solid enough to help get us to a cup.

3. Voracek reaches elite form (again?). We were all expecting more of him this year. Let's assume he finds his elite form and puts up a solid 80+ pts per season.

Now to go a little deeper into idealist territory:

4. Brayden lives up to expectation. He nets 30+ goals per season playing with the VeeGees.

5. Couter develops his offensive game, while not giving up his defensive prowess. He manages to snag ~50 pts on he 2nd line.

6. Simmer learns to play to his strengths on the Couts line. He also finds a way to be less predictable on the PP, and goes back to leading the team in PP goals. Let's say this nets him 25 goals per season.

And further still:

7. Ghost becomes a beast on the back end. He ranks in the top 10 for scoring among NHL dmen. Most of his pts come on the PP.

8. Manning and Schultz are not resigned. Streit is traded to a contender for one last shot at a cup.

9. Provorov, Sanheim, and Morin filter into the roster and help shore up substantial defensive weaknesses. Provorov in particular flourishes. He makes the top 15 in dmen scoring by his second year.

10. Gagner and Umberger are not resigned. Some of Straka's unexpected success follows him to the NHL. He slips into the 2nd line LW role with Couts and Simmer and provides some decent secondary scoring. Let's say 20-25 goals.

By the end of all this, we have something like:

B. Schenn / Giroux / Voracek

Straka / Couts / Simmonds

Leier / Laughton / Read

Raffl / Bellemare / CVV

Ghost / Provorov

Sanheim / Schenn

Morin / MDZ

Does a team like this compete for a cup?

The idea here is not to delve too much into wishful thinking, but to be near the likely tip of what can really be expected of the team as it stands.

Wishful Thinking ......

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly enough.

I could have said that Couts and Schenn also become elite 80 pt scorers, Ghost and Provorov become the most lethal dman tandem in the NHL, and Mason goes on a Tim Thomas style season run.

I didn't though. That would be wishful thinking. :)

For the sake of discussion, let's look at what might be a reasonable best-case scenario for the Flyers over the next year or two. The idea here is not to delve too much into wishful thinking, but to be near the likely tip of what can really be expected of the team as it stands.

1. Giroux stays elite. He's one of the absolute best in the league. It's hard to really want too much more out of the guy.

2. Mason stays reasonably good. He'll never be Carey Price good, but he's solid enough to help get us to a cup.

3. Voracek reaches elite form (again?). We were all expecting more of him this year. Let's assume he finds his elite form and puts up a solid 80+ pts per season.

4. Brayden lives up to expectation. He nets 30+ goals per season playing with the VeeGees.

5. Couter develops his offensive game, while not giving up his defensive prowess. He manages to snag ~50 pts on he 2nd line.

6. Simmer learns to play to his strengths on the Couts line. He also finds a way to be less predictable on the PP, and goes back to leading the team in PP goals. Let's say this nets him 25 goals per season.

And further still:

7. Ghost becomes a beast on the back end. He ranks in the top 10 for scoring among NHL dmen. Most of his pts come on the PP.

8. Manning and Schultz are not resigned. Streit is traded to a contender for one last shot at a cup.

9. Provorov, Sanheim, and Morin filter into the roster and help shore up substantial defensive weaknesses. Provorov in particular flourishes. He makes the top 15 in dmen scoring by his second year.

10. Gagner and Umberger are not resigned. Some of Straka's unexpected success follows him to the NHL. He slips into the 2nd line LW role with Couts and Simmer and provides some decent secondary scoring. Let's say 20-25 goals.

Leier / Laughton / Read

Raffl / Bellemare / CVV

Ghost / Provorov

Sanheim / Schenn

Morin / MDZ

Best case scenario is that they land Auston Matthews next draft.

Greetings:

The "aging" of Giroux and Voracek relative to the youth of newcomers has some merit and sadness. I could see one of them moved.  

I'm not sure we can assume all our D prospects will make it.  About the only thing that seems "visible" is competent goaltending. Mason-Neuvirth is not our problem and for all we know, Stolarz is NHL serviceable. 

About the only thing that seems clear is impending roster cleaning.  Getting a game changing high draft pick would be cool.  But the real future of this team may be the dumping of people like Read and Raffl for cap space and picks.  We need speedy forwards who grow together.  No D-corps will work unless the team progresses beyond dump/chase.  Our 5 on 5 scoring troubles started last year.  Believe it or not I have no problems with our 4th liners like PEB.  It's our second-third tier people who probably need cleansing.  So....let's draft some good second-third liners....and hope we have a few good years left from our goalies and at least one of the G-V.

Enjoy Turkey Day,

Howie

Best case scenario is that there isn't any homeresque knee jerk reactions

And further still:

Leier / Laughton / Read

Raffl / Bellemare / CVV

Ghost / Provorov

Sanheim / Schenn

Morin / MDZ

I like Gagner, Not sure why we brought Umberger back.

Your 5 and 6 are almost interchangeable lately similar is your 1 and 2, both of their top scorers are just not there in spriit.

I like Gagner, Not sure why we brought Umberger back.

Your 5 and 6 are almost interchangeable lately similar is your 1 and 2, both of their top scorers are just not there in spriit.

I like Gagner too, I just don't think he'll settle for a third or fourth line role, which is what he would likely be relegated to. Umberger wasn't brought back so much as he's still on the books for another two years. If you're wondering why that particular trade was made at all, well... there are reasons, I'm just not convinced they were good ones.

I like Gagner too, I just don't think he'll settle for a third or fourth line role, which is what he would likely be relegated to. Umberger wasn't brought back so much as he's still on the books for another two years. If you're wondering why that particular trade was made at all, well... there are reasons, I'm just not convinced they were good ones.

I was "ok" with the Hartnell/Umberger swap at first because it got us a shorter-term contract and I still thought Umberger could put up ~40 points. But he can't. Columbus fleeced us on that deal no matter how you look at it.

How about this addendum:  We have a coach and GM who stay on board for long enough to build a team primarily through the draft, and grow together as a team.

Considering that's what every team that has won a Cup since the cap came into play, sure, why not?

:thumbsu:

And further still:

Leier / Laughton / Read

Raffl / Bellemare / CVV

Ghost / Provorov

Sanheim / Schenn

Morin / MDZ

I like the post. Hopefully Konecny also makes it to the Roster by age 20 once some of the Dinosaurs are gone. Even if it is as a winger.

A more feasible scenario is one of the kids on defense gets shipped to fill another need, as I have a hard time seeing all 4 on the Roster in 2 years. Perhaps for an equally touted goal scoring Winger.

Bit of a logjam on D this year, but Schenn is actually playing well and increasing trade value.

as I have a hard time seeing all 4 on the Roster in 2 years

There are actually more than 4 prospects in the system, which means we have a position of strength. The odds are pretty strong that not all of them will pan out, so it might be smart to leverage one or two of those chips to fill areas of need.

We have Provorov, Sanheim, Ghost, Morin, Hagg, Friedman, Alt, Wilcox, Myers and a few others. To me, Provorov, Sanheim, and Ghost are untouchables. The rest are potential trading chips.

Best case scenario is that they land Auston Matthews next draft.

no-no-no-very-bad-man-Babu-Bhatt-seinfel

Come on we've seen this before the Flyers just aren't even lucky enough (if you can even call it that drafting this high at all) to land the 1st pick they just aren't see the Kane JRV draft.

However i wouldn't be mad at landing Matthew Tkachuk either.

I could have said that Couts and Schenn also become elite 80 pt scorers 50 point scorers first

I fixed it for you lets see them get even 50 before we go any further.....carry on!! :ph34r:

I wouldn't be shocked though if Brayden is one of the trade chips come the deadline he and his brother could fetch a nice return.

I fixed it for you lets see them get even 50 before we go any further.....carry on!! :ph34r:

I wouldn't be shocked though if Brayden is one of the trade chips come the deadline he and his brother could fetch a nice return.

~50 pts is exactly what I mentioned in my original post actually.  ;)

I also agree with you about Brayden.

Archived