Flyers choke lead again and more soft goals

Guest trevluk

I know the defense had a couple of lapses there at the end, but can Bryz stop nothing??? When you can see the guy setting up to shoot, you should have a pretty decent chance to stop the puck. There was no deflection, no traffic. That Seabrook shot looked really weak too.

I know the defense had a couple of lapses there at the end, but can Bryz stop nothing??? When you can see the guy setting up to shoot, you should have a pretty decent chance to stop the puck. There was no deflection, no traffic

story of the season... they better tighten this ish up by the playoffs... I'll certainly take the win though I can't pretend that it isn't frustrating to watch

I know the defense had a couple of lapses there at the end, but can Bryz stop nothing??? When you can see the guy setting up to shoot, you should have a pretty decent chance to stop the puck. There was no deflection, no traffic. That Seabrook shot looked really weak too.

Really? Sorry but this wasn't on Bryz. First was a nice tip. Second goal Timmo took Bryz out right before the shot. Third goal tipped off Coby's stick. Fourth goal? Kane left alone in the slot scores that goal 9 out 10 times. I agree that he has to get better but tonight was on the D around him.

u

Really? Sorry but this wasn't on Bryz. First was a nice tip. Second goal Timmo took Bryz out right before the shot. Third goal tipped off Coby's stick. Fourth goal? Kane left alone in the slot scores that goal 9 out 10 times. I agree that he has to get better but tonight was on the D around him.

u

I'll split the difference. I acknowledged the defense had it's lapses, so totally agree with you there. That said, Bryz had a perfect line of site and time on that 4th goal. It was a great shot, but he had time to get himself in a position to make the save. He needs to make those saves. I just can't put all of those 4 goals on the D around him tonight.

@trevluk

I feel your frustration, but I definitely care that they won. Isn't that the point of all this?

Sip, I think the concern is that if it weren't for last minute heroics, we were blowing two points on what seemed like serious defensive lapses. I agree with others on this thread: tonight was not Bryz's off-night. Team D got sloppy. We are 21st in the league in GAA. That is very strange for a Flyers' team.

Peace,

Howie

@trevluk

I thought there were a number of positives tonight, including Bryzgalov's play. He looked sharp for a change. The line of Schenn, Simmonds and JvR also looked pretty good. Maybe JvR is starting to feel it. And Hartnell is elevating his play. I'm not sure what got into him but he's playing with a ton of confidence. The Flyers beat a very sharp goaltender and a very good offensive club tonight despite losing their top d man. Scored a timely pp goal to do it. I'll take it.

Let's see:

Steve Stamkos alone in the slot - goal.

Brad Richards alone on the right side - goal.

Patrick Kane alone in the slot - goal.

Show me the goalie that stops those three in those situations more times than he doesn't. Show me one, The bastard clone of Patrick Roy, Vladislav Tretiak and Bernie Parent doesn't make those stops more times than not. Bobrovsky? Um, no.

I was deflated by the 3rd and 4th goals, not becaue they were Bryzgalov's fault, but because the Flyers were being obviously outplayed by the 'Hawks for most of the third period.

Good to come back and get the win. One thing about this team, it doesn't seem to have any "quit" in it.

From Carchardi's game story"

Bryzgalov was steady until the Blackhawks' two late goals; he said he was ill after the game and declined to speak to reporters.

So he was ill again? I do think the bright lights of hockey here have gotten to him. He has been uneasy "in front of the crowds" since they taped Meet the Flyers. 24/7 shone even brighter. They tried to limit his media availability, which of course the writers couldn't stand for (of course, per the CBA... they had a right to be pissed)...

I think Bob had the best angle last year -- just don't learn the language...

Let's see:

Steve Stamkos alone in the slot - goal.

Brad Richards alone on the right side - goal.

Patrick Kane alone in the slot - goal.

Show me the goalie that stops those three in those situations more times than he doesn't. Show me one, The bastard clone of Patrick Roy, Vladislav Tretiak and Bernie Parent doesn't make those stops more times than not. Bobrovsky? Um, no.

I was deflated by the 3rd and 4th goals, not becaue they were Bryzgalov's fault, but because the Flyers were being obviously outplayed by the 'Hawks for most of the third period.

Good to come back and get the win. One thing about this team, it doesn't seem to have any "quit" in it.

The Kane goal was one of those you hope your goalie stops because he has a clear view and lots of time to set up, but when a goalscorer is in that close with that much time, you expect them to score. I think G scores in that position too. I don't blame Bryz for that one.

But the Seabrook goal was just another deflating goal similar to the 2nd Rupp goal on the short side at the WC. It gives the other team life, and they are very stoppable goals. That's when he needed to hunker down and find a little more game.

Prior to that, I gave him lots of props in the first half of the game for being solid, and making 2 or 3 really big saves that kept the Hawks off the board and the momentum on our side.

The Kane goal was one of those you hope your goalie stops because he has a clear view and lots of time to set up, but when a goalscorer is in that close with that much time, you expect them to score. I think G scores in that position too. I don't blame Bryz for that one.

But the Seabrook goal was just another deflating goal similar to the 2nd Rupp goal on the short side at the WC. It gives the other team life, and they are very stoppable goals. That's when he needed to hunker down and find a little more game.

Prior to that, I gave him lots of props in the first half of the game for being solid, and making 2 or 3 really big saves that kept the Hawks off the board and the momentum on our side.

Seabrook should never have been allowed to get the shot off, but of the 3rd and 4th that is the one Bryz "should" have had.

I thought he looked good for most of the game and you really can't fault him on Bourdon failing to clear, giving it to Toews to Sharp to Kane alone in the slot and bang.

Bryz needs SEVERAL games in which he's got two on the board and shuts down the other team. NEEDS them.

I know the D wasn't perfect, but it wasn't awful. It is the same group that plays in front of Bob, who has better stats. Bryz has to stop more from going in, period. The goalie is part of the defense, the last line. Once in a while, they need to make a tough save. Bryz is allegedly a very good goalie, so why isn't he stopping pucks like one?