Flyers/Habs/Oilers rumour

brelic

I thought this was interesting if only because of the three-way trade angle.... 

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Oilers-Management-Done-Evaluating-Looking-for-Trade-Wednesdays-Buzzcast/1/72950

---

Hearing reports today that the Canadiens, Islanders and the Flyers are all talking to the Edmonton Oilers...as many have in the past, but at least two sources are telling me, "There is a new level to these talks. The new Oiler Management and Coaching staff have evaluated what they have now through the first third of the season and for the first time in a decade are seriously considering major decisions on major player movement. Some have said that the players are very aware of some scenarios..."

The Canadiens and Flyers have also spoken about a top 6 forward possibly heading to Montreal. The deal would see prospects and picks returning to Philly. The Flyers need to relieve Cap space before Mark Streit returns from long term IR...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Voracek?

that's what im thinking, since he has the most value and he will probably fit better up there since they are more  of an offensive scheme team and coach and he doesnt fit into hakstol's defensive scheme which is probably why he's struggling here.

it's the same with carter, he played better in la then here because of the scheme.

it's the same with carter, he played better in la then here because of the scheme.

no, he didn't.  his best single season was in philly, 84 points in 82 games, +23, in 08-09.  his best in LA was 62 points in 82 games, +7.  he's on a great pace this season, but we'll see if that holds up.

why are you the most negative person ever, btw?

as for the idea of voracek moving, i'm really hoping not.  #1 RW is a position you need to have filled, shipping him off un-fills that with no obvious replacement.  the flyers are trying to complete that top line with a LW as it is, and you think they are going to vacate the other side, too?  he has 8 points in his last 9 games, btw.

i can see the flyers sending picks and prospects OUT, but i can't see them looking to bring them IN.  if the plan isn't for this team to be competitive in the next two years, then i'll burn my old hextall posters.

Raffl? :ph34r:

LOL. I feel Ike I have to say I'm not wanting to trade Voracek. But from the sounds of it, it's a cap space dump. Assuming it's not Giroux, Voracek gets you the most space.

Maybe B. Schenn? Does that cover Streit? And I didn't even realize Streit was close to ready.

The cap space angle is BS. They have to send someone down to clear a roster spot before they can activate Streit. That will relieve the cap space issue. If Umberger/Gagner isn't ready to play, they just place one of them on LTIR to be able to keep Cousins and McDonald up. It's not rocket surgery.

no, he didn't.  his best single season was in philly, 84 points in 82 games, +23, in 08-09.  his best in LA was 62 points in 82 games, +7.  he's on a great pace this season, but we'll see if that holds up.

why are you the most negative person ever, btw?

as for the idea of voracek moving, i'm really hoping not.  #1 RW is a position you need to have filled, shipping him off un-fills that with no obvious replacement.  the flyers are trying to complete that top line with a LW as it is, and you think they are going to vacate the other side, too?  he has 8 points in his last 9 games, btw.

i can see the flyers sending picks and prospects OUT, but i can't see them looking to bring them IN.  if the plan isn't for this team to be competitive in the next two years, then i'll burn my old hextall posters.

negative? it's calling being realistic, plus voracek is not worth the contract, he only scored 1 goal this year and he's not ovi, he's better off with another team plus when these d prospects finally come up voraeck is going to be past his prime and not playing as well as you think and there will be no value coming back. you dont want to hear it but they have to rebuild again, we are not a contender that's the bottom line, not with these guys. if homer drafted defense before giroux and jake got here and if this team right now is a contender, then i would agree that voracek shouldnt be gone but that's the mess homer created with this team.

there's nothing you can do about it, i know you want a championship but you have to be realistic that this team is far from a championship because of what homer did. im just telling you the truth. if hextall starts rebuilding again, you have to accept it. it's better to do it now while he has a new coach that knows what he wants from his players, otherwise this team is going to stuck with players that cant play.

Can't see any team helping the flyers out with anything ..

Vinny ......nope  no one wants him .  Mcdud .... to much money ... 

Voracheck   you could trade yesterday .. ...  no good for the flyers .

G easy to move .

Read and schenn and simmer could all be moved..

With nothing much coming back..picks 

Because of cap space ... 

Mase to buffalo would work ..

e maybe ..........

@briere48

don't look now, but the flyers are 5-3-2 in their last 10, with voracek putting up 9 points over that span.  season totals are a mess, because the entire squad crapped the bed for a month, but the trend is actually in a good direction, both for the team in general and voracek in specific.  if i wanted to really slant it, i could point out voracek has actually been at a point per game pace over the last 9 games.

you do seem to feel a calling for pointing out all of the bad things, and i'm not gonna try to change that.  you think the team should be perpetually stripped of everything for a 5 year rebuild.  i hope that doesn't happen.  voracek is, in my mind, a top 15 RW in this league, and the flyers aren't likely to replace that through prospects or the draft anytime soon.  you move him and you open a hole that will take years to fill, at best.  

you hope for your scenario, i'll hope for mine.

I am not a big fan of rumor debate but Aziz makes a good point--the folks are playing decent hockey of late.  My gut says we see trade deadline movement when guys like Read, Gagner, Schultz might fetch something and relieve cap.  On the other hand, wouldn't the Habs love a Giroux?  A Francophonic gig.  

Two weeks ago we had a related thread on the reality that guys like V and G will not be youngsters when the D gets rebuilt.  You go past a relative handful and our forwards are interchangeable and probably "disposable"  

Another thought:  Would someone actually take a Vinny or MacDud for cap gain and subsequent waiver. For all we know either or both of these guys knows their real NHL days are over and take a trade to end honorably.  The Pronger gig opens new horizons, right?

Howie

@Howie58

Pronger trade was much easier as its cap hit vs. real money payout.

Cap hit-4.9 mil vs real money payout of 575,000

Even with philly retaining some salary the real payout will be in the millions for those two slugs.

Not impossible mind you but difficult none the less.

@Howie58

Even with philly retaining some salary the real payout will be in the millions for those two slugs.

Peter Puck:

Thanks for politely knocking some sense into me...just thinking.  I was thinking out loud...maybe not well.

That said, I have to wonder if Vinny might accept a move if it were made clear a buyout was imminent.  MacD is sad case...not sure if someone would want him for a 5-6 if we bought him out.  I still think many of our current forwards might be trade bait at deadline if their performance picks up.  

This is a strange time to assess talent.  We are playing better under a new coach but the drop-off of our forward corps will raise many questions if it persists through Jan/Feb.

Howie

Try and imagine any current Flyer playing on the past few Cup winners, keeping in mind their cap hit and where they project in the lineup. Thats right, zero. Nobody on the current Flyer roster should be untouchable. The possibility of trading players for picks and managing the cap has Hextall seriously handcuffed right now, but I have faith and patience that he can figure it out, provided Snider doesn't freak out and try to make the playoffs. This is still a blow it up team that should be focussed on 5 years from now.

@Howie58

For Vinny At age 35 player's buyout is will be 2/3 of the remaining salary due ($8,000,000). This will result in a total buyout of $5,333,333 with a base salary of $888,889 per the next 6 years.

2015-16 Contract details by year $888,889   $1,611,111 $2,888,889
2016-17 Contract details by year $888,889   $1,611,111 $2,888,889
2017-18 Contract details by year $888,889   $2,111,111 $2,388,889
2018-19 Contract details by year $888,889  -$888,889   $888,889
2019-20 Contract details by year $888,889  -$888,889   $888,889
2020-21 Contract details by year $888,889  -$888,889   $888,889

McDud At age 31 player's buyout is will be 2/3 of the remaining salary due ($650,000). This will result in a total buyout of $433,333 with a base salary of $216,667 per the next 2 years.

2015-16 Contract details by year $216,667 $433,333 $48,925
2016-17 Contract details by year $216,667 -$216,667 $216,667
$433,333

For Vinny At age 35 player's buyout is will be 2/3 of the remaining salary due ($8,000,000). This will result in a total buyout of $5,333,333 with a base salary of $888,889 per the next 6 years.

2015-16 Contract details by year $888,889   $1,611,111 $2,888,889
2016-17 Contract details by year $888,889   $1,611,111 $2,888,889
2017-18 Contract details by year $888,889   $2,111,111 $2,388,889
2018-19 Contract details by year $888,889  -$888,889   $888,889
2019-20 Contract details by year $888,889  -$888,889   $888,889
2020-21 Contract details by year $888,889  -$888,889   $888,889

McDud At age 31 player's buyout is will be 2/3 of the remaining salary due ($650,000). This will result in a total buyout of $433,333 with a base salary of $216,667 per the next 2 years.

2015-16 Contract details by year $216,667 $433,333 $48,925
2016-17 Contract details by year $216,667 -$216,667 $216,667
$433,333

Wrong Mcdonald, the real Mac would be 1.6m a year.

that's what im thinking, since he has the most value and he will probably fit better up there since they are more of an offensive scheme team and coach and he doesnt fit into hakstol's defensive scheme which is probably why he's struggling here.

Their system might benefit Voracek more, but is Voracek what they need to get to the next level? I think of the Habs already being a super skilled team but they are missing some grit. I also think Voracek's new contract makes it a little tougher to move him.

What about Simmonds? There's not much commitment for the Habs there, and I think he adds something that they are missing.

On a related note, Hextal has made some questionable moves to this point, but isnt nice to talk about trading players without saying "they can't trade him...he has a no movement clause".

Who's left with NMC's?

On a related note, Hextal has made some questionable moves to this point, but isnt nice to talk about trading players without saying "they can't trade him...he has a no movement clause".

Who's left with NMC's?

Hartnell for Umberger was the only real questionable move for me.

Voracek or Simmonds would be the only options that make sense to me. I would rather not get rid of either though.

I don't believe Hextall is at the point where he is ready to or would even consider moving Voracek. If there is any traction to this rumor I agree that it would be Simmonds or B.Schenn.

Hartnell for Umberger was the only real questionable move for me.

I would throw the Jake contract in there too... not reason to give him that contract at the time.  None whatsoever...  that can obviously change but as it stands today it is not looking good.

Archived