Claude Giroux

flyercanuck

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what would be nice to see along with all these fabulous points?

Playoff rounds.

As in "averaging more than one a year" over that time period - or more than one in the last three years for that matter...

Obviously that's not all on Giroux (#homercoaster™ ), but it does show that having a big "points" guy doesn't necessarily make a successful hockey team.

You know what's also nice?

Goals.

When do they raise the "first to 400 points this decade" banner? :ph34r:

:hocky:

He is and has been an elite player.

Not the best in the world, but a guy i want on my team and would build around. 

He shows up in the playoffs when he's had the opportunity, as @radoran says he needs some other guys to help get him there.

I don't know why rad you can't simply recognize he's a good player without always having a "yeah but..." . not that your exceptions lack validity, they have their merits. I find the the omnipresent exceptions whenever there's a positive statement exhausting,

I don't know why rad you can't simply recognize he's a good player without always having a "yeah but..." . not that your exceptions lack validity, they have their merits. I find the the omnipresent exceptions whenever there's a positive statement exhausting,

Quite frankly, I find the need to point out utterly meaningless statistical achievements somewhat exhausting, myself.

I do recognize he's a good player.

But if something's going to be put out there for discussion it really shouldn't be expected that the only response will be "hooray!"

just for a sake of it, would you trade giroux for Austin Matthews if the flyers didnt tank enough for him?

No, that would just regress this team by a few years. Giroux is an established player and will be for probably another seven to eight years. Auston Matthews has yet to play an NHL game. And this team is not bad enough to be in the Matthews sweepstakes. Also, imagine the lynch mob that will come out when they are even worse for years to come while they wait for their coveted prospect to join the big leagues. 

@radoran

So  highest scoring player of the decade is meaningless ?  I know we're still kind of in the middle, if not he exact middle, of said decade so a lot can happen in the second half, he could get hit by a bus, fall off a cliff, he could MacDonald.

But to summarily dismiss the player with the most points this decade as a meaningless statistical achievement kills the joy of that information.  

It unnecessarily dampens one of the few bright spots that the team I follow and have followed for over 30 years has currently.  I recognize this is a discussion board, maybe sometimes you could just just skip a conversation and let a couple of guys enjoy a good thing instead of telling them why it actually sucks.

You know what would be nice to see along with all these fabulous points?

Playoff rounds.

As in "averaging more than one a year" over that time period - or more than one in the last three years for that matter...

Obviously that's not all on Giroux (#homercoaster™ ), but it does show that having a big "points" guy doesn't necessarily make a successful hockey team.

You know what's also nice?

Goals.

When do they raise the "first to 400 points this decade" banner? :ph34r:

Playoffs would be nice.A cup even better. Giroux is about the last guy on the team I blame for them NOT being there though.

I'd love for Giroux to score more. Or anyone else on the Flyers for that matter. As it stands right now  Giroux is 2 goals behind Malkin,  1 behind Jeff Carter. And a whopping 3 behind worlds greatest goal scorer Alex Ovechkin. 1 behind Stamkos. 2 behind Tavares. Tied with Corey Perry. Ahead of Phil Kessel. 

How many playoff teams have a worse defence than Philly? Or Michael Raffl as your top LW? 

@radoran how about lets not hold Giroux culpable for any of the incompetence that is the flyers.. He's been among the elite since 2010. Let the folks here have something to enjoy, because quite frankly there ain't much to celebrate when it comes to the current flyers.

Quite frankly, I find the need to point out utterly meaningless statistical achievements somewhat exhausting, myself.

I do recognize he's a good player.

But if something's going to be put out there for discussion it really shouldn't be expected that the only response will be "hooray!"

Giroux has his faults, but so does every player. I think he is a top 5-10 player in the league. Points is the most important stat in the league. Either you scored a goal or you made a play for one of your teammates to score a goal. Without points, you win 0 games.

Now if we were praising him for his corsi numbers, Id join in with you. Corsi is a useless stat.

No directly, but there is one that thinks this team is missing that 70's luster and a degree of tough-fighter83-ness.

Well, if someone ever said that this team needs a fighter more than a Giroux, they have no sense. Id like to talk to this person.

I'll be straight up with you...I think this team needs more toughness or 70s luster as you refer to it. Dont misunderstand me though, I dont want to replace our star players with tough guys, but rather add toughness to our 3rd and fourth lines.

I hope you didnt misunderstand the guy that wants a fighter instead of Giroux...did you?

@flyercanuck

I dont know who he's talking about so I dont know exactly what was said. In my own experience though, as soon as I say "this team isnt tough enough", people take it too far. "Yeah...lets get Rosie in for Giroux" or "typical flyers fan...always wants to goon it up". Why does it have to be skill or toughness? Why does a tough guy have to be a goon?

I think most cup contenders have a nice balance of skill and toughness. Good flyers teams had their share of tough players. Rosehill is not the answer but Id take anyone from the islanders fourth line over vandevelde. Id also sacrifice a little skill to replace couturier with a tougher version (sacrifice skill and couturier should not be in the same sentence).

The most successful and fun flyers teams also racked up the most PIMs

Archived