Game #34 - Blues at Flyers - Dec 21 2015 - 7:00 ET

brelic

Talk about erasing 3-goal leads you can't leave out the mother of all comebacks, Flyers down 3-0 after 15 minutes Game 7 against Boston.

don't forget that is after being down 3-0 in the series too!  ...that is "THE" mother of all comebacks :)

Shayne Gostisbehere has 14 points (6 G, 8 A) in 18 GP. That's a 64 point pace over 82 games.

No way you can send him down.

Edit: Oh yeah for a defenseman one of the biggest stats...he leads the team in +/- at +5!!! Not to be overlooked!

Nice shooting % at 15.8 G next at 12.4....not to shabby for a rookie!

Hextall said, if any of the young kids are to stick with the big club, they will need to bust the doors down.  Does 14 points in 18 games from a rookie defenseman constitute busting down the doors?  I don't know about Hexy, but it's a slam dunk for me.  I don't know if it's coincidence, but this season turned around when Ghost was called up.  I sure hope that is also taken into consideration when it comes time for Streit to return.

Does 14 points in 18 games from a rookie defenseman constitute busting down the doors?  I don't know about Hexy, but it's a slam dunk for me.

And to lead the team in plus minus as well while playing mostly with Manning....if it's not a slam dunk then i don't know what is.

And to lead the team in plus minus as well while playing mostly with Manning....if it's not a slam dunk then i don't know what is.

Manning plays a way better game when paired with Ghost. Might have something to do with the time they have logged together in the AHL learning the others game.

Hextall said, if any of the young kids are to stick with the big club, they will need to bust the doors down. Does 14 points in 18 games from a rookie defenseman constitute busting down the doors? I don't know about Hexy, but it's a slam dunk for me. I don't know if it's coincidence, but this season turned around when Ghost was called up. I sure hope that is also taken into consideration when it comes time for Streit to return.

The more I see, the more I think there is reason to be crazy excited about this kid. I can't see a single positive to sending him down at this point.

I have been impressed by Medvedev's growth this season and he isn't done yet so once his light comes on completely he will certainly be a keeper for next year and further...MDV has so nice skill skates well and has a howitzer from the point....so i'm bringing him back. 

by blueline going forward after this year...

MDZ/Gudas

MDV/Ghost

?????????

I move on from Luke, Streit and Schultz trade them and move on. Resign Medvedev and Gudas.

Maybe give Alt and Hagg a shot next camp at the bottom 6.

HA to piggyback on what i wrote yesterday a good read...

"Since Medvedev returned to the lineup on Nov. 27, the Flyers are 8-2-2. Interestingly, in the 11 games he missed, the Flyers went 3-5-3 and were outscored 29-16.

In his first 11 games, Medvedev totaled just one assist for a minus-2 rating.

In the 12 games following his six consecutive healthy scratches, Medvedev has two goals and three assists for five points and a plus-5 rating."

Once a healthy scratch, Evgeny Medvedev now helping Flyers

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/using-healthy-scratches-evgeny-medvedev-now-helping-flyers

In Medvedev's case the benching worked great. He says it helped him to see the game from up top, then to study the videos of his games, look at ways he screwed up but also stuff he did well. He was a complete unknown to me before this year - I guess to most of us - and he's been a really nice addition.

In Medvedev's case the benching worked great. He says it helped him to see the game from up top, then to study the videos of his games, look at ways he screwed up but also stuff he did well. He was a complete unknown to me before this year - I guess to most of us - and he's been a really nice addition.

I agree so they may need to resign him because he could be just scratching the surface....i'd hate to trade him and then he goes off for another team to reap the benefit...Flyers need some stop gap guys next year to help before the kids are ready...especially if they plan on trading Streit.

Guys they have under contract for next year...MDZ, Ghost, Streit and Schultz i would prefer to trade Streit and Schultz if they can find takers. Resign Gudas and MDV and maybe even Manning he has played really well/better with Ghost and would be cheap.

Sounds like a reasonable plan. Trade Streit for sure and get another pick this coming draft. Schenn I wonder about. The guy is far from useless and Gudas can't dish out all the hits. I guess it'll depend on how much of a raise he wants. The Flyers won't be all that much different with or without him, which is probably reason enough to let him walk if he's looking for a big raise or a long-term contact.

I agree so they may need to resign him because he could be just scratching the surface....i'd hate to trade him and then he goes off for another team to reap the benefit...Flyers need some stop gap guys next year to help before the kids are ready...especially if they plan on trading Streit.

Guys they have under contract for next year...MDZ, Ghost, Streit and Schultz i would prefer to trade Streit and Schultz if they can find takers. Resign Gudas and MDV and maybe even Manning he has played really well/better with Ghost and would be cheap.

I agree to resign him but what kind of deal? According to Homer, 1/4 season playing well = 6 years/$30 mill. I'd start the bidding at 3 years/$12 mill but I'd stop at 4 years/$18 mill.

Schenn I wonder about. The guy is far from useless and Gudas can't dish out all the hits. I guess it'll depend on how much of a raise he wants. The Flyers won't be all that much different with or without him, which is probably reason enough to let him walk if he's looking for a big raise or a long-term contact.
Agree With This

if the term is right i'd keep Luke, he has been a very good pro and would set a good example for younger players.  I think it would be wise to keep Luke and Radko around until Morin is ready, that might be 2 or 3 years, so if Luke signs for a modest raise for 3 years I think I make that deal.  I like what i've seen from him as a teammate and he's a guy that is always around doing charitable stuff.   His game is fine, he's playing to his strengths and isn't being asked to be a player he isn't, when that happens he's "good".

if the term is right i'd keep Luke, he has been a very good pro and would set a good example for younger players.  I think it would be wise to keep Luke and Radko around until Morin is ready, that might be 2 or 3 years, so if Luke signs for a modest raise for 3 years I think I make that deal.  I like what i've seen from him as a teammate and he's a guy that is always around doing charitable stuff.   His game is fine, he's playing to his strengths and isn't being asked to be a player he isn't, when that happens he's "good".

I've come around on Luke. He's a #4/5 and I'd give him no more than a 4 year contract... 3 if possible. I'm sure he'll want a longer term.

For all the jokes we make about our "most expensive blueline", they're actually the 26th most expensive. So... pretty cheap, actually. I was very surprised! If you add MacDonald's salary, we're still only 13th, behind the LA Kings. 

Here's the info if anyone is interested - http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/positional/defenseman/

You don't give bottom pairing defenseman like Schenn a 3-4 year deal.

Well since Gudas game is just like his except will be more expensive to resign...i trade him for a good return...i appreciate his services but my 4 Dmen to return next year would be MDZ, Gudas, MDV and Ghost...the other two spots i'd keep my options open till the start of next year...July 1st.

Well since Gudas game is just like his except will be more expensive to resign...i trade him for a good return...i appreciate his services but my 4 Dmen to return next year would be MDZ, Gudas, MDV and Ghost...the other two spots i'd keep my options open till the start of next year...July 1st.

Pretty much, but I think Streit is back next year as well and could be moved buy the deadline next year. Schultz will probably still be on the roster as the 7th defenseman as well because I doubt anyone will trade for him next summer (maybe bu next year's deadline).

There's no real point in having Gudas and Schenn on the roster since they're the same types of defenseman. Gudas would be cheaper (and better IMO), so you stick with him.

Pretty much, but I think Streit is back next year as well and could be moved buy the deadline next year. Schultz will probably still be on the roster as the 7th defenseman as well because I doubt anyone will trade for him next summer (maybe bu next year's deadline).

There's no real point in having Gudas and Schenn on the roster since they're the same types of defenseman. Gudas would be cheaper (and better IMO), so you stick with him.

I think Streit is gone this deadline, as he should be. He's getting older. His value is still decent enough to fetch a first right now. Who knows what might happen by next year's deadline? He's not going to become Drew Doughty.

As for L. Schenn, he may be worth signing just to trade him come next year. If he asks for too much, let him walk. If he settles for a decent price that is fairly moveable, give him until next year's deadline to figure out what to do with him. At worst, he's worth a semi-decent return from a team looking to add blueline grit.

Archived