Trade for Crosby

eleven24

Wait, is this the same ELEVEN24 who used to post over at philly.com? Because that guy was pretty smart about hockey...this can't be the same guy! :)

Even (somehow) imagining Crosby in the O&B (I can't), Crosby for Giroux straight up is a bad trade for the Flyers, never mind throwing in another asset. Pre-concussion(s) Crosby? Whole different story. But now it's a non-starter.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Speaking of those punk b***hes the Flyers haven't even played them this year....damn a whole half season and they still haven't met...should make for an eventful 2nd half!!!

Giroux_medium

GO FLYERS!!

OR

I agree!!!! Love the rivalry and can't wait for them to start.  Thursday night 7PM....in their barn!!!

We win!

18 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Because of Crosbys injury history, I'm not even sure I trade Giroux straight up....let alone throwing in a potential #1 Dman.

That we actually drafted.

For once.

No way I trade for a guy who is one hit away from being the small Eric Lindros.

I would not make that trade just because I despise his WHINY ASS. Period. Regardless of his skills,which are huge, he still acts like a petulant child WAY TOO MUCH for me. I am not going to screw my current team captain for a team wrecker............

18 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

How do you report someone again?..... ;)

But seriously, I would not trade Umberger for Crosby....... SERIOUSLY.

I would trade Umberger for Cosby.  And I'd negotiate at the hotel bar of his choosing.

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, all in the name of conversation starters for one...as evidenced by this thread's 24 replies.

Besides, it can be fun talking about stuff that won't ever happen.

I mean, Flyers fans talk all the time about having their entire farm system come up and lead the team to a Cup, right?

All fun stuff..... :rolleyes::lol:

I understand the nature of the thread and it's not a bad thread to start on a slow day, but I am failing to see the logic of the swap, plus the players involved. 

Wait, you mean the youth movement is a smoke screen? :w00t:

43 minutes ago, canoli said:

Wait, is this the same ELEVEN24 who used to post over at philly.com? Because that guy was pretty smart about hockey...this can't be the same guy! :)

Even (somehow) imagining Crosby in the O&B (I can't), Crosby for Giroux straight up is a bad trade for the Flyers, never mind throwing in another asset. Pre-concussion(s) Crosby? Whole different story. But now it's a non-starter.

That it is... and thanks, I think??? 

Remember when people in these parts used to say they would rather have Mike Richards than Sidney Crosby?  It's that mentality I was speaking to with this post.  Those who are incapable of seeing past the image of a hated rival and instead seeing the talent that is the player on a hated rival team.  I felt the same way about Gretzky in the mid-80's.  So much so that I now regret not appreciating the fact that I actually got to see Wayne Gretzky play in his prime.

Is Sidney Crosby the equivalent of this generations Wayne Gretzky?  Not a chance.  Is he better than Claude Giroux?  I still think so, but the gap isn't as far apart as it once was.  Would I trade Giroux straight up for Crosby, probably.  Would I include the D-prospects?  Not at all.

I was just trying to fan the flames of the Crosby haters.  

In true philly.com forum fashion.

1 hour ago, eleven24 said:

Remember when people in these parts used to say they would rather have Mike Richards than Sidney Crosby?  It's that mentality I was speaking to with this post.  Those who are incapable of seeing past the image of a hated rival and instead seeing the talent that is the player on a hated rival team.  I felt the same way about Gretzky in the mid-80's.  So much so that I now regret not appreciating the fact that I actually got to see Wayne Gretzky play in his prime.

Is Sidney Crosby the equivalent of this generations Wayne Gretzky?  Not a chance.  Is he better than Claude Giroux?  I still think so, but the gap isn't as far apart as it once was.  Would I trade Giroux straight up for Crosby, probably.  Would I include the D-prospects?  Not at all.

I thought I recognized the screen name.  Great to have you over in this part of cyberspace.  So much better than that trainwreck known as Silly.com.  Totally agree with everything you said.

I know this sounds like I am on the fence -  PUCK  NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Below is the remaining career trajectory for Sid in graphical form.  The decline will be much faster if his jelly-donut of brain gets concussed again:

line-graph-down.jpg

5 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I know this sounds like I am on the fence -  PUCK  NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Below is the remaining career trajectory for Sid in graphical form.  The decline will be much faster if his jelly-donut of brain gets concussed again:

line-graph-down.jpg

I wouldn't trade Bozak for Crosby at this point. There is nothing appealing about a small perimeter player with a concussion history who has half of his NHL points against the Leafs. :biggrin:

16 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I wouldn't trade Bozak for Crosby at this point. There is nothing appealing about a small perimeter player with a concussion history who has half of his NHL points against the Leafs. :biggrin:

Well, seeing as how half his points are against the Leafs, THAT right there should garner Toronto a few more wins all by itself just having Crosby on the team...... he won't be torturing them from the safety of his Penguins sweater!  :lol:

3 hours ago, eleven24 said:

To be objective for a minute here,

There is absolutely no doubt that Crosby (when healthy) has been a more consistent offensive threat than Giroux.  

However there are mitigating factors, not the least of which is the fact that there is more to the game than offense.  Giroux plays a pretty strong 200ft game for a guy who has outscored the rest of the league over the past 5 years (though that's probably dead this year).  

Also you have to take into account the situation surrounding each player.  Crosby on a PP with Malkin and others, Giroux on a PP with Hartnell for most of his career over that span.  

I can fully admit that Crosby can outscore Giroux when he is healthy and on the penguins from 2007-1012.  

But I will also suggest that Giroux does the rest of the game significantly better than Crosby of that era.

And at this point, Crosby now, and due to injuries and other factors isn't the same as he was 3-4 years ago.

Because of THOSE factors, and not my hatred of him as an individual, I can freely and honestly say that there is no way in hell I'd trade Giroux for Crosby.

If they want Brayden Schenn or someone, I'd be willing to take a flyer on him, but once again, I get the feeling he'd rather play in Russia than Philadelphia. 

Also... if he played here and the way teams play our guys and the way the refs look after our guys, he'd be dead or concussed into retirement within a month.  

10 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, all in the name of conversation starters for one...as evidenced by this thread's 24 replies.

I mean, Flyers fans talk all the time about having their entire farm system come up and lead the team to a Cup, right?

HEY!  Alt is gonna tear apart the NHL......when he's called up! ;)

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Sid's a decent sized guy, isn't he? Solidly built too, from what I've read... 6' around 200

He sure doesn't play "big". Ovechkin throws his weight around and gives it as good as he gets. Crosby is very much a player that needs protection on the ice. :)

7 hours ago, eleven24 said:

Remember when people in these parts used to say they would rather have Mike Richards than Sidney Crosby?  It's that mentality I was speaking to with this post.  Those who are incapable of seeing past the image of a hated rival and instead seeing the talent that is the player on a hated rival team.

Haha, yes it was a compliment...disguised as a wisecrack.

I was one of those "rather have Richards" guys - I still am. For me it was never about him skating for the Pens it was always about the "Kid" himself. I know it's goofy to prefer a less-talented player but who ever said fans were rational? lol. I won't pretend I am.

It took me the whole year to "accept" Jagr in the O&B and he turned himself completely around (compared to his primma donna Penguin days). So if Crosby does a 180 the way Jagr did I'll root for him. I don't blindly hate the guy, it's just that he's done too many questionable things on the ice...all of them displaying a version of "Entitled Punk" that I just can't see him working out in Philly.

If the Flyers had drafted him he would've fared better I think - on a number of levels. Certainly the Flyers would've been better. But not now. Too much water under the bridge.

On 1/19/2016 at 8:39 AM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Reported!

Archived