Crosby's numbers increase, what changed?

nossagog

What's the difference?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What is the difference in Crosby's Play?

• Coaching Change
    • Player Moves
    • Health Issues
    • Just a matter of time

With the recent increase in Crosby's numbers, it begs the general question, what is the difference.   The Pens have changed head coach and made a few player moves which has increased their "speed" of play. They seem to be playing a more up tempo pressure game that has the Penguins scoring goals.   My opinion of this was always that I thought Crosby was playing well, but the numbers just did not show up.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not all sure what has sparked Crosby, but over in Lightning Land, Stamkos seems to have 'sparked' up a bit himself.

Coincidentally, both the Pens and Bolts, two teams with expectations to play well and make the post season, and who were both struggling, now find themselves trending upwards.

Pens as a team look like they are playing much better, as are the Lightning.

Whatever "cured" Crosby, apparently he has shared a bit of that with Stamkos, Johnson, Palat, et al....and I hope it continues!

Its an age old saying and somewhat of a cliche, but "It's a long season" has never rung truer. Guys like Stamkos and Crosby, with their talent, simply do NOT stay down long unless there is a serious, serious health/injury problem.

It's not how they start, it's how they finish.

And if I were the Metro (Caps aside...at least for the regular season), I'd be looking over my shoulder for those pesky Penguins.

5 hours ago, nossagog said:

With the recent increase in Crosby's numbers, it begs the general question, what is the difference.   The Pens have changed head coach and made a few player moves which has increased their "speed" of play. They seem to be playing a more up tempo pressure game that has the Penguins scoring goals.   My opinion of this was always that I thought Crosby was playing well, but the numbers just did not show up.

The games I watched before the coaching change seemed to be a coach trying to force skill players to play a grinding dump and chase game instead of using their god given talents.

In games since, I see more freedom.

You can't muzzle a guy like Crosby

2 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

You can't muzzle a guy like Crosby

No you can't.....because if you try he will play just well enough to get you fired. Well last night against Ottawa, the Pens let in 5 goals. THAT is not going to win you games very often regardless of how free wheeling you are able to play. Luck and an extremely poor outing by Andersen won this game for the Pens. The new coach is going to have to find a happy medium and get Crosby and crew to at least play some defense if the Pens are going to go anywhere. Crosby's numbers might be going back up again but if he does not at least make an Ovechkin-like stab at defense, the Pens will not survive.

3 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

No you can't.....because if you try he will play just well enough to get you fired. Well last night against Ottawa, the Pens let in 5 goals. THAT is not going to win you games very often regardless of how free wheeling you are able to play. Luck and an extremely poor outing by Andersen won this game for the Pens. The new coach is going to have to find a happy medium and get Crosby and crew to at least play some defense if the Pens are going to go anywhere. Crosby's numbers might be going back up again but if he does not at least make an Ovechkin-like stab at defense, the Pens will not survive.

Crosby wasn't playing bad defensively last night. In fact, I don't think a goal was scored against that line. They had Ottawa running

Malkin's line on the other hand...........

10 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:
10 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Crosby wasn't playing bad defensively last night. In fact, I don't think a goal was scored against that line. They had Ottawa running

19 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

Please note that I did not single out Sid but included his teammates. I did not see the game just the score and was using that for a basis.

33 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

You could also say luck and a bad game by Fleury was the only reason this game was close.  The defense was not a problem.    5 goals on 23 shots.   Fleury, who's been their best player most of the year, had an off night. It happens. Team bailed him out instead of the other way around. 

44 minutes ago, nossagog said:

The defense was not a problem.    5 goals on 23 shots.

Well, without seeing the game when a team scores 5 goals against you the usual culprit would be the defense or at least they should shoulder some of the load. It is not like you had Bryzgalov in net............

The numbers reflect the coaching change after the firing of Mike Johnston.   Transfering the Johnston's defensive coaching style to the offensively- skilled make up of the Penguins didn't translate well for the long term.  Add a few key injuries and I think the team tuned out the coach and his style of play.

8 hours ago, flyerrod said:

Please note that I did not single out Sid but included his teammates. I did not see the game just the score and was using that for a basis.

No doubt. A happy medium needs to be found to win.

But A Crosby needs the freedom to use him immense skills. Being creatively stifled hurt his numbers a heck of a lot. Crosby is actually a very good backchecker. But telling him to play a Toews type game all the time is asking him to focus on an aspect of his skillset that is not his greatest strength.

Now obviously not everyone gets that freedom. I still remember a game where Brad Lukovich decided to go "Hey look, I'm Dan Boyle" and he flubbed things up badly pinching in and trying to play offensively. By the time he got back to the bench you could tell Tmac was saying "no, you are Brad Lukovich"

On 2/3/2016 at 0:44 PM, nossagog said:

1. Coaching change...

2. Coaching change...

3. Coaching change...

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd say that's it.

Now here's hoping they keep the gm. :devil:

He's rebounded nicely though, eh? :hyper:Essentially getting Daley and Hagelin for Scuds and Perron? (Clendenning already waived by the Ducks...).  Lots of speed replacing lots of dead weight. Plus Pouliot is now essentially taking Ian Cole's minutes.  Better system and now a much faster team.  

Maybe. Juuuuuuuuuust maybe....

(I still want to see Botterill take over next year.)

13 minutes ago, B21 said:

He's rebounded nicely though, eh? :hyper:Essentially getting Daley and Hagelin for Scuds and Perron? (Clendenning already waived by the Ducks...).  Lots of speed replacing lots of dead weight. Plus Pouliot is now essentially taking Ian Cole's minutes.  Better system and now a much faster team.  

I think he's done a great job. :biggrin:

4 hours ago, B21 said:

Even better is the TOI for the defense. Lovejoy's numbers have flattened. 

At even strength last night:

Letang  21:33

Maatta  21:08

Daly      18:06

Dumo    17:34

Lovejoy  15:32

Pouliot   14:28

13 hours ago, nossagog said:

Even better is the TOI for the defense. Lovejoy's numbers have flattened. 

At even strength last night:

Letang  21:33

Maatta  21:08

Daly      18:06

Dumo    17:34

Lovejoy  15:32

Pouliot   14:28

I have to admit I am surprised by Cole.  He was one of their better d-men last season after he was acquired. Nothing short of awful this year.

1 hour ago, JagerMeister said:

Crosby is 5th in point production, I recall him being below Jagr in points 2 months ago. Exceptional comeback that displays why he is the best offensive producer in the game.

Amazing what happens when he really applies himself...

I voted for Just a Matter of Time. I think deep down inside every player in the NHL who is going to play in all 82 games knows they can't go full out for all 82 or they might have nothing left for the play-offs. I think that knowing that they subconsciously (or maybe even consciously) let their foot off the pedal occasionally and glide for a bit. If the Pens get in the play-offs, look out....;)

i think there's reason to be excited about this roster.  I think Hagelin's speed helps, i think Daley's offense and skating helps too.  

We just saw the NFL championship won with defense though, and that blue line group is still *just okay* and with the forwards no longer sagging in the d-zone thinking support first, they can be forechecked. 

that said they are now fun to watch (if one is a fan) and could put together a nice tournament, which they will surely make. I do wonder if they have enough offense to win the whole smash, their games will be more interesting than they have been in the past two years, that's for certain.

Somewhat unrelated, but I always feel some sympathy for Malkin. Just when you think he will actually have a better offensive season than Crosby, he gets injured all while Crosby accumulates more points in his absence. Im sure he doesnt care, but I find it rather funny. This happened previous season as well. 

Archived