McDonagh down again / A Komorov Suspension Coming?

flyerrod

How many games for Komorov?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How many games for Komorov?

I'm not sure Komarov should get a suspension on this.  Komarov is 99% going to play the puck here.  McDonaugh's head is down and Komarov comes in to play the puck.  While doing so he extends his elbow to make his own space.  The game suspension is more than enough on this play.  

McDonaugh needs to learn to keep his head up.

I'd vote for 0 games towards a suspension.

There is not a bigger fan of Leo in this forum, you leaf fans included, I just love his game, he hits he drives the net, he plays the game the right way.

That said, last night was cheap. 5 games is well deserved. It sucks because I need him on my fantasy team, lol.

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

I'm not sure Komarov should get a suspension on this.  Komarov is 99% going to play the puck here.  McDonaugh's head is down and Komarov comes in to play the puck.  While doing so he extends his elbow to make his own space.  The game suspension is more than enough on this play.  

Well he did glide and not charge into  him but he certainly raised his elbow/ shoulder and seemed to target the head. That is the real reason I think he will get a few games for it.

I voted, but I should really stay out of these discussions, I get it wrong every time.....

It looked like an elbow to the head to me which says "suspension" but I voted "less than three" games.

Watching the replay it appears to me Komarov's intent was shoulder to shoulder, when McDonagh lowered a bit more and took the shoulder, and then the elbow to the head.  It's a hockey play that happens quite often, and quite often has a player in the box for 2 minutes.  Yet McDonagh is clearly now susceptible to a concussion from a hit that most players would just shake off.  Should players like Simmonds and Komarov be tagged with a match penalty and possible suspension because the player they hit has, for lack of a better term, a glass jaw?

I still think that McDonagh must have been hit hard earlier in the game, or maybe even before the Flyers game as the glancing blow from Simmonds certainly should not have put the guy down and out for a few games.  Whatever the case, I find it hard to believe the Simmonds jab will be McDonagh's Darius Kasparitus on Eric Lindros hit.  

Regardless, the Rangers should shut McDonagh down for the rest of the year.  Before he runs into a Scott Stevens.

I feel bad for MacD....his injury situation is eerily similar to that of Sidney Crosby's... i still think Crosby isn't the same player/person he was "pre-Steckel". 

I hope Ryan gets healthy and can function normally.   I think he's a good player and his head injuries are unfortunate at best. 

I thought Kormarov threw his elbow out there pretty deliberately...I think he gets a hearing and maybe a couple of games, I wouldn't cry foul if that happened.  Just like I wouldn't cry foul if Gudas got some time for his hit vs Buffalo...those shots and the instigator penalty are making the game very dangerous.  Guys don't respect each other as evidenced by MacD crosschecking Simmons on the side of his head.  If the league is serious about the player's safety these elbow up shots to the head should be handled with maximum punitive force.  money/ games/ team revenue.

14 hours ago, flyerrod said:

See now that's a bad hit and worthy of suspension.   How the Rangers could complain about Simmer or anyone about Gudas in comparison to crap like this is beyond me. 

Elbow straight to the chin at a decent clip.  Very very dangerous. I'd give him 12 if I wanted to send a message but he'll get 5 or so. 

McDonagh probably had some underlying issue when Simmer punched him, as going down like he did and staying out a week plus is some serious glass jaw results from a minor swat to the jaw, but this is a dangerous hit that could cause serious long term concussion symptoms for someone not already experiencing problems.

This kind of a hit on someone whose already got issues recently (and like i said I expect the guy had problems going into the Simmonds punch)  is a big deal.  i'd sit him for a good month at this point.  The team's in good shape with a decent lead on the rest of us, no need to push it now.  Sit McDonagh til mid March at least.  

23 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I feel bad for MacD....his injury situation is eerily similar to that of Sidney Crosby's... i still think Crosby isn't the same player/person he was "pre-Steckel". 

I hope Ryan gets healthy and can function normally.   I think he's a good player and his head injuries are unfortunate at best. 

I thought Kormarov threw his elbow out there pretty deliberately...I think he gets a hearing and maybe a couple of games, I wouldn't cry foul if that happened.  Just like I wouldn't cry foul if Gudas got some time for his hit vs Buffalo...those shots and the instigator penalty are making the game very dangerous.  Guys don't respect each other as evidenced by MacD crosschecking Simmons on the side of his head.  If the league is serious about the player's safety these elbow up shots to the head should be handled with maximum punitive force.  money/ games/ team revenue.

Agreed completely.

as much as I thought the Rangers over reacted in the press and how shameful I thought that was (because it forces the hockey world to be polite and respect their injured player and not call him out for being a total dyck with a pathetic glass jaw) I thought the way they hand led it on the ice was appropriate... Would have been better had McIlrath actually been able to get a solid lunch or two in on Simmonds instead of Simmonds' hat, but I think that's how you handle it. It should have been handled in the previous game, but the instigator penalty and the close game make that impossible. 

There is no recourse for those hits.  And they are not punished severely enough by the league if at all. 

Personally, I'd love to see someone take it to Gudas after he lays out another big hit instead of whining about him in the press and tainting the image of the rest of the team and forcing refs to be "on the look out" for dangerous hits even when he's trying to be good. 

4 hours ago, hf101 said:

It's the elbow that's the problem. If he grazes him with the shoulder you have a point, but he raises his elbow and goes out of his way to make contact with the guy's jaw. 

Ita unnecessary, illegal and 'predatory'.   He really should sit. How long depends on what kind of a statement the league wants to make. 

They at have to respect each other far more than this out there.  There's no reason to make that hit other than to injure.  

Hard hits it's should be to knock guys off their game and make them think twice when you're on the ice and give you a moments edge in that hesitation.  You can hit hard, and big and be punishing and accomplish all that while still respecting the health and career of the opposition. 

i hate a league where they call the subtlest hook or hold, but can't police guys trying to put each other into early retirement.  

It shouldn't be this hard.  The players should respect each other enough on their own and if they have a beef, they should be allowed to drop the gloves and get it out there.   Is chippy dangerous stuff just isn't okay. 

I know the argument is the fighting is what got boogie killed, but that's a guy whose sole purpose his entire career was to fight and I'm not talking about that.  That's a whole different can of worms. 

Treat every player like he might be your teammate someday and you want your team mate to know who his kids are and be able to walk around corners without help. 

You know, I look at the replay and clearly Komarov's intent is just a physical "separate player from puck" play.  Problem is that McDonagh shifts position and lowers a bit just as Komarov has already engaged.  As is often the case in any hit, the elbow always comes up due to the impact.  I think about when I'm playing if I hit someone with the shoulder.  After contact the arm almost always will come up as means to regain balance, and or push off of the guy you just hit.  I think that may be a bit of the case here, but because McDonagh is really susceptible to concussions it seems, he goes down.  

I think the question here is IF McDonagh goes down and then pops right back up... is anyone even having this discussion?  IF Komarov delivers the same check to any player without sensitivity to concussion does that player go down and stay down?

My opinion is that it was a solid hit with an elbow that came up after impact.  In other words, a hockey play.  I can see both sides of the argument here, but wouldn't be surprised either way on a suspension.  Personally, I'd say the whining Vigneault did when Simmonds didn't get a suspension almost guarantees that Komarov gets one.

Even if it may not have been warranted.

23 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

Personally, I'd say the whining Vigneault did when Simmonds didn't get a suspension almost guarantees that Komarov gets one.

Even if it may not have been warranted.

Well it looks like Komarov got 3 games. The impression I got on the hit was he leaned into him and raised his elbow going through. That was the only beef I saw with the hit. If these guys just keep their shoulder down instead of leading with the raised elbow, there isn't an issue.

There are some controversial hits that are easy for the NHL’s Department of Player Safety to deal with. Leo Komarov’s hit on Ryan McDonagh Thursday night was one of them.

The Toronto Maple Leafs All-Star was handed a three-game suspension for elbowing the New York Rangers captain in the head. It was a decision that is very hard to disagree with.  

Komarov has clean discipline history, so three games for a first offense is a good first message, even if you might believe it should be stiffer. As Patrick Burke notes — and as the DoPS has explained many, many times before — the Leafs forward took a poor angle as he went to deliver a hit on McDonagh. From the distance he traveled, he could have checked the Rangers defenseman through the body rather than catching him in the head with his elbow.

From Sean Leahy (Puck Daddy)

agree with @ruxpin....totally unecessary hit...I don't care if he has a clean record or not.  These are the head shots the league is trying to eliminate.  I voted for more than 3 games.  It was a dangerous hit with potential to cause serious harm.  No sympathy here that he has a clean record.  In this instance...I don't care.

Didn't like the hit whatsoever. This is the kind of flyby hit that the NHL tried to regulate out of the game after the Cooke/Savard hit.  Its from the side and the head isn't just the primary point of contact, its virtually the only point of contact. 

Archived