Why are you a flyers fan?

icehole

1 minute ago, icehole said:

So is that a reason to hate Rinaldo(don't know if you do but many others do) because he got called for penalties he didn't commit, because of his reputation?  Hate the refs and the league for that...not the player.

Although some calls don't go our way, it's the same around the league.  I feel like we got off easy this season.  Gudas had some questionable hits that weren't ruled as being suspension worthy.

I know we can't go back to the days of throwing elbows to Russian heads.  I'm glad you brought up LA though.  There is a way to beat people up and also keep winning.  You don't have to play like Detroit but it seems like that's the direction they want to go.

I have enough hate in my heart for Rinaldo, Downie, Carcillo and the refs all together.

The thing about those guys that bugged me (since you asked) and why I don't think those guys are what anyone really means when they say "Flyers Hockey" is that they seemed to lose focus and let the chippy and dangerous stuff take over and become their focus.  

I think all three (Downie especially) could have been really fantastic contributors not devoid of skill (well maybe Rinaldo doesn't have as much skill) but they seemed so defined by their reputations and what they thought they were supposed to be.  Downie in particular probably could have been a 20/30 guy (almost was with the lightning) in this league and a quality team member...  but he couldn't get the bone head out of his game.    That's not Flyers hockey.  Flyers hockey at least should be using that stuff when needed to facilitate making plays to win games.  Not being chippy and an agitator for the hell of it and hoping the rest of your team wins the game.  

Rinaldo got called for penalties he didn't commit, because there were a boat load of stupid penalties he did commit so the refs just assumed he did something wrong after a while because hey... Flyers Hockey. 

I blame both him and the refs and honestly?  Flyers Hockey as a concept and a reputation.  I'd just as soon move on from it as a result.  

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are A LOT of reasons but the top 2 reasons I'm a fan are 1) The mid-to-late 1980s teams with Kerr, Pelle, Propp, Eklund, Hextall, and Howe, etc... and 2) the 35 game unbeaten streak team in 1980. Those teams, especially the mid 80s ones, had one of the best defensive defenses AS A UNIT of all-time in Howe, McCrimmon, Marsh, Crossman and Samuellson, and Daigneault. The 1990s teams I didn't like nearly as much because 1) I always thought Lindros was a bit of a primadonna, 2) they never played up to their potential as a team, and 3) with the exception of 2000 when brought in Primeau, they were a one-line team with one very good d-pairing and a bunch of nobodies with bad goaltending. That 2000 team should have beaten Jersey and Dallas and won the Cup, but they had to bring back #88 and screw it up.

In 1985 a friend of mine said "if you wanna hang out you're going to have to watch the Flyers". I grudgingly acquiesced. It didn't take long though for me to see the beauty and intensity of the game. I eventually became a fan. Then in 1987 a buddie of mine and I bribed a guard $40 each and got into the Spectrum for game six of the cup finals vs Edmonton. It was one of the most surreal experiences of my life. I was hooked through and through.

1 hour ago, AbelMorpheus said:

I Then in 1987 a buddie of mine and I bribed a guard $40 each and got into the Spectrum for game six of the cup finals vs Edmonton. It was one of the most surreal experiences of my life.

That 3rd period felt like a dream didn't it? Greatest 3+ hours of my lengthy career as a Philly sports fan. 

On 3/1/2016 at 9:13 AM, radoran said:

1980. The 35-game streak. Then the Miracle on Ice.

Been a hockey fan ever since.

I had some memory of the Cup years, but was 6- and 7-years old and living in Harrisburg (Camp Hill) so it wasn't as impactful.

Then, at 12 and back in Philadelphia all four teams went to the Finals of their sports and the Phillies won the World Series. I was totally convinced that I lived in the best sports town ever and would watch nothing but success.

And Then Came Liberty Place and the Curse of Billy Penn...

I'm still convinced I live in the best sports town. The "nothing but success" not so much...

Curse of billy Penn? Please explain, I'm not sure what that is!

2 hours ago, sarsippius said:

That 3rd period felt like a dream didn't it? Greatest 3+ hours of my lengthy career as a Philly sports fan. 

I was at that game too; to this day I have never experienced anything quite like it!  The building was actually moving...

2 hours ago, notfondajane said:

Curse of billy Penn? Please explain, I'm not sure what that is!

The statue of William Penn on top of City Hall in Philadelphia used to be the tallest point in the city. In 1987, a skyscraper was built which exceeded this height. From that point on, no major Philly sports team won a championship, until a small William Penn figurine was attached to the topmost beam of the Comcast Tower, currently the tallest building, in 2008. The Phillies won the World Series that year - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Billy_Penn.

38 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

The statue of William Penn on top of City Hall in Philadelphia used to be the tallest point in the city. In 1987, a skyscraper was built which exceeded this height. From that point on, no major Philly sports team won a championship, until a small William Penn figurine was attached to the topmost beam of the Comcast Tower, currently the tallest building, in 2008. The Phillies won the World Series that year - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Billy_Penn.

Thanks, I understand now!

30 minutes ago, radoran said:

It's one of my favorite Philadelphia stories because there's no way to disprove it :)

So if the curse has been broken why did us Eagles fans have to live through the the Dream team and Chip Kelly era???? Sounds like purgatory to me....

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

So if the curse has been broken why did us Eagles fans have to live through the the Dream team and Chip Kelly era???? Sounds like purgatory to me....

That's not a curse.

That's just bad ownership :)

On Tuesday, March 01, 2016 at 9:13 AM, radoran said:

1980. The 35-game streak. Then the Miracle on Ice.

Been a hockey fan ever since.

I had some memory of the Cup years, but was 6- and 7-years old and living in Harrisburg (Camp Hill) so it wasn't as impactful.

Pretty much the same traveled path I took.  Being from the Lehigh Valley I followed Philly teams especially the Phillies.  My dad does not like hockey so I kind of rebeled against him. (He hated fighting in teh sport).  So yeah I saw Miracle On Ice...and the 35 game streak and I was hooked.  Loved the LCB line, loved the fact this was team everybody loathed and hated.  Have bled O&B ever since.

I am a big fan of Drummondville, and Couturier is my favorite player from there. Followed him over after the draft. Always knew he'd make the team right off the bat. Been a Flyers fan ever since.

Actually, just started following hockey in college, though I had started reading the scores and whatnot in the newspaper (remember those?). Never thought to root for a team other than my local one. Just happened to be the 1996-1997 season.

5 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I am a big fan of Drummondville, and Couturier is my favorite player from there. Followed him over after the draft. Always knew he'd make the team right off the bat. Been a Flyers fan ever since.

Genuis that. :goodjob:

9 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

nicely played! :PostAward2:

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Genuis that. :goodjob:

I like Couturier. He's not an all-star player, but he's a guy teams need. He's paid in line with what he does. And I've always been a fan of guys who know what their zone looks like - Worn #12 since I started playing ice hockey for that reason. Though my offense is deriously lacking in comparison to that guy (who was a rookie when I started playing). He seems to me now to becoming Brayden Schenn this time last year into the first quarter of the seasons with fans around here.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

I like Couturier. He's not an all-star player, but he's a guy teams need. He's paid in line with what he does. And I've always been a fan of guys who know what their zone looks like - Worn #12 since I started playing ice hockey for that reason. Though my offense is deriously lacking in comparison to that guy (who was a rookie when I started playing). He seems to me now to becoming Brayden Schenn this time last year into the first quarter of the seasons with fans around here.

You should start a thread or something....

Pelle Lindbergh.

I had a fascination with the old fiber glass masks.  I loved them displayed at the hockey hall of fame.  I love how it would make each goalie unique. I would drawn masks, and goalies in particular, a lot when I was a kid just coming up with different designs and such. 

So, ever since I saw Pelle play the Leafs on Hockey Night in Canada one cold night up at the cottage on a snowmobile trip weekend I was hooked.

Loved them ever since. 

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Wow, the influence of Pelle sure comes through on this thread. 

In the 32 years I've died hard for this team, no player has achieved the cult following that Lindbergh did...and not in death but on the ice.  He was the next Parent only better. 

3 hours ago, philaphansrefugee said:

In the 32 years I've died hard for this team, no player has achieved the cult following that Lindbergh did...and not in death but on the ice.  He was the next Parent only better. 

Well said. And welcome.

John LeClair brought me to the Flyers.  He's a family friend.  Played baseball and hockey with my son.   At first, I was glum about his trade from Montreal, until I learned that John was ecstatic.  I know that he frantically searched for a Flyer hat before boarding his flight from Montreal after the trade.

Because of our friendship with John, we've had a chance to meet a number of Flyer players.  We've learned to like and root for them.  Our favorite is Shjon Podein, but we also liked and cheered for the rest.

A few years back, my wife and I were enjoying a drink in Burlington, Vermont.  This really nice young guy comes over to our table with a blue map of Stowe.  He says that he and his wife are visiting and want to know where to stay in Stowe.  I give him my opinion, and ask why he chose to ask us.  He answers that it's because he's seen us at John's fundraisers.  

How many pro athletes have the humility or interest to look into the faces of the fans?

On 3/4/2016 at 1:08 AM, FD19372 said:

There are A LOT of reasons but the top 2 reasons I'm a fan are 1) The mid-to-late 1980s teams with Kerr, Pelle, Propp, Eklund, Hextall, and Howe, etc... and 2) the 35 game unbeaten streak team in 1980. Those teams, especially the mid 80s ones, had one of the best defensive defenses AS A UNIT of all-time in Howe, McCrimmon, Marsh, Crossman and Samuellson, and Daigneault. The 1990s teams I didn't like nearly as much because 1) I always thought Lindros was a bit of a primadonna, 2) they never played up to their potential as a team, and 3) with the exception of 2000 when brought in Primeau, they were a one-line team with one very good d-pairing and a bunch of nobodies with bad goaltending. That 2000 team should have beaten Jersey and Dallas and won the Cup, but they had to bring back #88 and screw it up.

I completely agree on all of that.  

While I don't consider Lindros a primadonna, I actually think Clarke's delusions about himself forced him to treat Eric a bit inappropriately.  Clarke had protection.  Eric didn't.  IF anyone had taken the kind of runs on Clarke that they took freely on eric without fear of retribution, Clarke would never have broken 700 points and the flyers might have zero cups to this day.  Eric was abused, and when he wasn't abused he was clutched and grabbed and groped to death.  I still believe it was the advent of Eric and Forsberg that lead to the clutch and grab era (afterall it was the Devils and the Redwings who most defined the clutch and grab... oh wait... I'm sorry... "trap" era of defense).

That said, those were all one line teams with maybe one decent defensive pairing the whole time.  The 80's teams were so much more well balanced.  They didn't have many MVP type candidates, but they were extremely well balanced teams and the defense as you point out was amazingly consistent from #1 to #5 at least.  

And I totally agree on '00.  Bringing back Eric cost them that COnference championship.  Those last two games they were clearly unsure of how to deal with him and his return screwed with the chemistry the lines had been developing. 

Granted Eric almost single handedly won game 6 (it should have been tied at the end but the time keeper had an itchy finger and started the clock before the ref dropped the puck and a goal Eric scored off a face off didn't count), but he still shouldn't have been playing yet.  Game 7 proved that without a doubt and there was simply no way for that team to recover from watching him go down like that.

Archived