Why are you a flyers fan?

icehole

I seem to be getting into more arguments than usual lately and I think it might be because I like a different style of hockey than most people on here.  For a lack of better words, I like "Flyers" hockey.  That makes sense to me.  I like the Flyers for the style they are known for/the style they played for 45 years.

I'm semi-local (Lehigh valley) but I'm not much of a Philly guy.  Actually I don't really enjoy much about philly at all.  My dad followed all philly sports which led me to watching, but I gravitated to the flyers hockey for some reason.  I'm passionate about the flyers because they have always been "badass".

When the flyers have been good I feel like they will beat you physically and skillfully.  When the flyers have been bad, they'll still beat you physically.  They've always been hard working, beer drinking, cigarette smoking, partying badasses.  That's the type of guy I was at their age.

Now I know the heavy partying days are over, but that doesn't mean the team has to be a bunch of homework doing, smoothie drinking nancies.

I feel like people want to get rid of the badass stigma.  Some people say that they've had to endure this pain for decades.  My question is why are they flyers fans?  Is it just because they're local to you?  You could have chose a softer team to follow.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Dad started watching the Flyers upon their birth.  In the early '70s he met Gene Hart & recognized him, which apparently tickled Gene.  Dad wound up selling him a stereo.  Soon after, the Flyers won their first Stanley Cup.  Dad and Mom and my little brother went to the parade, but didn't take me out of school to go, which makes me madder the more years go by.  Dammit, Dad, it was only 1st grade!

That summer (or maybe the next) the Flyers' wives sponsored a softball game at Cooper River, and most of the Flyers were there.  I got my t-shirt signed by 8 or 10 of the players, including Kindrachuk (the fist signatory), one of the Watsons, Barber, Leach and a few others.  Talk about a great treasure I would mount and have forever!  Mom washed it the next day.  <sob>

I have been a Flyers' fan ever since, and though I am not a tattoo guy, I will get the flying P when they win the Cup!

I grew up with them. They were losers and disrespected. then came the the 72-73 Series against Montreal. They lost but you knew good stuff was on the way. And it was.

I think Flyers Hockey is Blue Collar and unpretentious.  Nothing wrong with that.

I am 1100 miles away from Philly.  I could be on the Moon.  But I will always be a Flyers fan.

November 11th 1984, my first game

Flyers vs Oilers....

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/boxscore.cgi?19840150

In my 8 years of life at the time this was the most exciting thing I had ever witnessed.  My life changed forever...Became a Flyers fan for life that night and have never looked back...nuff said.

1 hour ago, TedZep said:

My Dad started watching the Flyers upon their birth.  In the early '70s he met Gene Hart & recognized him, which apparently tickled Gene.  Dad wound up selling him a stereo.  Soon after, the Flyers won their first Stanley Cup.  Dad and Mom and my little brother went to the parade, but didn't take me out of school to go, which makes me madder the more years go by.  Dammit, Dad, it was only 1st grade!

That summer (or maybe the next) the Flyers' wives sponsored a softball game at Cooper River, and most of the Flyers were there.  I got my t-shirt signed by 8 or 10 of the players, including Kindrachuk (the fist signatory), one of the Watsons, Barber, Leach and a few others.  Talk about a great treasure I would mount and have forever!  Mom washed it the next day.  <sob>

I have been a Flyers' fan ever since, and though I am not a tattoo guy, I will get the flying P when they win the Cup!

Cool story.  I never had a chance to meet any of them when I was young and it would be a little weird if I got star struck now.  I actually didn't start appreciating hockey until I was 17 ('97).  Wish I would have played but it was too late.

2 hours ago, sarsippius said:

Two words:

Bobby Clarke

I guess a better question would be would you have been a bigger fan if Wayne Gretzky wore 16 for the orange and black instead?

1 minute ago, JagerMeister said:

Well, he won MVP's over scrubs such as Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito. So no, the dude was atrocious and fortunate to have such inadequate competition.

Oh.  So he was that much more skilled and talented than these Orr and Esposito fellows?

Just now, icehole said:

Oh.  So he was that much more skilled and talented than these Orr and Esposito fellows?

What an absurd question..... of course he was!!!

In all seriousness though, it likely had to do with the fact that Esposito and Orr playing on the same team reduced their chances of winning to stay true to the definition of the trophy.

Besides, Orr was injured for the majority of one of Clarke's hart wins and Esposito was already on the decline.

As for how he played... he was not that physical, but he was a nasty player that would do anything to win and is highly regarded as one of the best two way forwards of all time. That's a simple description of him, I'm sure some here who actually watched him will provide a more in depth answer.

Oh, and he's the best faceoff man ever!!!

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I grew up with them. They were losers and disrespected. then came the the 72-73 Series against Montreal. They lost but you knew good stuff was on the way. And it was.

I think Flyers Hockey is Blue Collar and unpretentious.  Nothing wrong with that.

I am 1100 miles away from Philly.  I could be on the Moon.  But I will always be a Flyers fan.

I didn't become a fan until 1978 when I was 7  i saw them play twice once at the Spectrum, the  best sports venue in Philly history...sorry Palestra... and once at the newly built igloo in Pgh. They beat the hell out of the "Dead Things" and then the Penguins.  I was hooked, they were tough and good and the orange on the sweaters popped, better than my little league team's orange hats... they were rad, in 1980 I met Bernie Parent who asked me if I played and then gave me tips about skating backwards because i said i stopped because i couldn't do it... he said our sport is the greatest, i want you to have fun playing it...who acts like that ? consider the hook set.

Gee, I remember the roof getting blown away!  Watson was correct in his speech this evening when he said the fans were terrific. 

I think the frustration some older fans have is understandable.  But I think they forget this era is very different.  The rules are different. The salary cap is different. The O and B may have taken too long to adjust. Maybe that's changing.  Meanwhile, the effort of this team is good.  I have to admire that.  I think Hakstol and Hexy may be bringing us back to elite status in 2-3 years.

Being from the Lehigh Valley I was raised to root for the Philly teams by my Dad but he didn't really have much of an interest in hockey so I didn't start getting into the Flyers until 5th or 6th grade.  On Saturdays I would have guitar lessons in the late AM and after my lesson my mom would drop me off at my grandparents while she took my younger brother and sister to their bowling league.  My late grandfather was a huge Flyers fan and I started to watch some of the games after I would show him and my grandma what I learned on guitar.  The Flyers also were just getting good again in the mid to late 90s and made it to the Cup finals a year after I started following them so that only helped to keep me hooked and I have been a fan ever since.  

Talented. Relentless. Competitive. Ferocious. Proud. Uncompromising. Nasty. Fit. Diabetic. Hockeysmart. Loyal.

Bobby Clarke. I saw him as a rookie and he dominated Dave Keon, one of the best players at that time. The orange was beautiful. I was hooked on the Flyers that night, 1969. Clarke and Fred Shero dragged every ounce of ability out of everyone to win 2 Cups. Those teams played basic hockey, they dared you to outwork them, and they rarely beat themselves, which is a tribute to the penalty kill. Was at every game he ever played in Toronto, some of them were pretty wild. He pretty much set the culture of the franchise. The best tribute to him is the scoring leader award in the WHL is named after him. That is why I am a Flyer fan. 48 years. 

7 hours ago, JagerMeister said:

What an absurd question..... of course he was!!!

In all seriousness though, it likely had to do with the fact that Esposito and Orr playing on the same team reduced their chances of winning to stay true to the definition of the trophy.

Besides, Orr was injured for the majority of one of Clarke's hart wins and Esposito was already on the decline.

As for how he played... he was not that physical, but he was a nasty player that would do anything to win and is highly regarded as one of the best two way forwards of all time. That's a simple description of him, I'm sure some here who actually watched him will provide a more in depth answer.

Oh, and he's the best faceoff man ever!!!

I like that word "nasty".  I don't know too much about those teams but I've seen video of them being nasty.  My dad has also told me stories.

10 hours ago, icehole said:

I feel like people want to get rid of the badass stigma.

I agree with a lot of what you said but i don't think this statement rings true. I think most fans on here want to get rid of the reputation calls that come with the stigma of being a Flyers fan. I was born and raised in rural Pennsylvania (3 channels on tv ABC/CBS/PBS) and the only games I got to go to when I was a teen growing up were Hershey Bear games. My parents were finally able to get cable tv after I had left for the service in 1985 (it was not available in the area before then). I started following the Flyers when I was in High School and have been a fan ever since.

Grew up in the area and was a soccer player.  

Indoor soccer and hockey has a similar flow/style to it.

I started watching hockey and enjoyed it. 

1993 was the first year I watched every game and have ever since.

1980. The 35-game streak. Then the Miracle on Ice.

Been a hockey fan ever since.

I had some memory of the Cup years, but was 6- and 7-years old and living in Harrisburg (Camp Hill) so it wasn't as impactful.

Then, at 12 and back in Philadelphia all four teams went to the Finals of their sports and the Phillies won the World Series. I was totally convinced that I lived in the best sports town ever and would watch nothing but success.

And Then Came Liberty Place and the Curse of Billy Penn...

I'm still convinced I live in the best sports town. The "nothing but success" not so much...

I got started i would say by a buddy of mine (from Buffalo) when i was in the Navy who was a Sabre fan. When we would go out to the pub and have some beers and catch a game(1990-92) a couple of times it was against the Flyers (seen a few against a few of teams) and i think it was his hate of the Flyers combined with the fact i enjoyed watching his rage against playing them and i had no team at the time to root for so i would root against the Sabers (:mad:)

So when i got out in september of 92 i had kept up losley with the Lindros saga and over the summer knew the Flyers had got him in a trade....so down south ESPN (Gary Thorne and Bill Clement) would broadcast games a lot and i got to watch many of the games, so every chance i got i watched the Flyers many many times who were on a lot.(or it seemed like it) The seed was planted.

eric-lindros-cu-21-june-2010.jpg

And it was then i chose the Flyers, of all the times i had ever seen hockey and several Flyers games with my friend i had never ever seen anyone play like BIG E. It captivated me....pure amazement to watch this kid play...unlike anything i'd ever seen...how he dominated....and then in 92 my love for the Flyers was ingrained...in my brain but more importantly in my heart!

And i have been a fan/addicted ever since!

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I got started i would say by a buddy of mine (from Buffalo) when i was in the Navy who was a Sabre fan. When we would go out to the pub and have some beers and catch a game(1990-92) a couple of times it was against the Flyers (seen a few against a few of teams) and i think it was his hate of the Flyers combined with the fact i enjoyed watching his rage against playing them and i had no team at the time to root for so i would root against the Sabers (:mad:)

As a Flyers fan who was mercilessly persecuted by Sabres fans during my grad school days in Buffalo anyone who became a Flyers fan due to opposing the Sabres and pissing of their fans is A-OK in my book!

Regarding the Lindros era...I can never forgive the NHL for how they allowed Lindros and that generation of Flyers to be hooked and held, clutched, and grabbed by the likes of the Devils and even the Sabres.  Then when he is gone and Cindy comes on the scene they institute the new ticky tack penalty rules where you get a penalty for breathing on the "Face of the NHL".  Lindros could have been so much more had he played in the era they play in now.  I feel that he was a victim of the times and we never saw close to his full potential realized. 

Archived