NHL Playoffs: Eastern Conference Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Atlantic (#2) Tampa Bay Lightning

pilldoc

NHL Playoffs: Eastern Conference Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Atlantic (#2) Tampa Bay Lightning  

20 members have voted

1. 1. NHL Playoffs: Eastern Conference Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Atlantic (#2) Tampa Bay Lightning

• Lightning in 4 (sweep)
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7
    • Penguins in 4 (sweep)
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7

@hf101

Well, this is GOOD NEWS.....

No matter how highly the Bolts and fans may think of Vasilevskiy, right here, right now, this season runs through Ben Bishop in net.

If TB has to go without him, I feel they still have a shot to win the series....but with a fully healthy Bishop, I feel the this series AND the Cup after that are very much attainable.

The question was asked on NHL Network how the Bolts can continue to win despite missing key players at any given time....the answer, undoubtedly is DEPTH IN THE LINEUP!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The revolving door that is the Lightning lineup this season and post season continues....

Anton Stralman is back tonight, and the Bolts got JT Brown back for Game 1.

But no Ben Bishop, he won't even suit up. Means Vasilevskiy is in net, backed up by Kristers Gudlevskis.

Ryan Callahan (they are saying flu...yay) :572958dca2943_scratcheshead: is out, meaning Eric Condra is back in.

No offense to Condra, but that is a severe downgrade from Cally.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/05/16/some-surprisesmishaps-before-lightning-penguins-game-2/

Also, according to that link, Patric Hornqvist took a puck to the head (no word on whether a Lightning player engineered that or not...  :56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley: ), during practice, as of this posting, not sure whether he will be in or not....link says he was on the roster, but didn't seem definitive.

Finally, for the Pens, Olli Maata is out, Justin Schultz is in.

Go Bolts!

Another great game by both teams.   Crosby gets off the snide with the OT winner.

Pens deserved this one, Bolts were on their heels from the second period playing a tight road game.  Thought to myself at one point, just a matter of time. 

The speed of both these teams is so fun to watch, this is how hockey is supposed to be played. 

10 hours ago, nossagog said:

Another great game by both teams.   Crosby gets off the snide with the OT winner.

Pens deserved this one, Bolts were on their heels from the second period playing a tight road game.  Thought to myself at one point, just a matter of time. 

The speed of both these teams is so fun to watch, this is how hockey is supposed to be played. 

Hear, hear.  That would have been a tough pill to swallow if they had lost last night.

Can't seem to find any recent news as of this posting on Ben Bishop, but here is to hoping he is well enough to resume this series as soon as Game 3.

Very happy with the play of Andrei Vasilevskiy, but when your number one is Ben Bishop, and that number one has had the kind of season he has had, along with the wins to this point in the playoffs, you simply want that guy back ASAP.

Vasilevskiy may be the future in net for Tampa Bay (and indeed, the Bolts are quite high on him), but I've said it before, in the here and now, this Cup run goes through Ben Bishop.

In other player news, nice to see Anton Stralman make an impactful return, netting one of the Lightning goals in his very first game back from his bone break.

He did look a bit shaky in the early going of the game, which is to be expected given the time he lost and the intensity of this series, but he seemed to adjust as the game went along, and on more than one occasion could be seen activating from the blue line.....making good on one of his chances.

Ryan Callahan was a big piece missing in last night's contest.

"The flu" is what they were saying...although there was speculation of other things.

Either way, Callahan has been playing mostly bottom six minutes, but what effective bottom six minutes he plays alongside Cedric Paquette and Brian Boyle. A third line that plays like a bruising 2nd line at times.

Last night's game wasn't as physical as Game 1, and I have to wonder whether Callahan NOT leading the way and stirring things up had a bit to do with that.

Hopefully, Cally can get back in the game for the opening set at Amalie Arena tomorrow night.

Erik Condra and/or Jonathan Marchessault bring their own ways to the table, but NEITHER is in the same caliber as Callahan who is a solid top 9 player depending on the team needs, can check, score, set up, and just generally lead by example with his hard nosed experience.

8 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Can't seem to find any recent news as of this posting on Ben Bishop, but here is to hoping he is well enough to resume this series as soon as Game 3.

Very happy with the play of Andrei Vasilevskiy, but when your number one is Ben Bishop, and that number one has had the kind of season he has had, along with the wins to this point in the playoffs, you simply want that guy back ASAP.

Vasilevskiy may be the future in net for Tampa Bay (and indeed, the Bolts are quite high on him), but I've said it before, in the here and now, this Cup run goes through Ben Bishop.

In other player news, nice to see Anton Stralman make an impactful return, netting one of the Lightning goals in his very first game back from his bone break.

He did look a bit shaky in the early going of the game, which is to be expected given the time he lost and the intensity of this series, but he seemed to adjust as the game went along, and on more than one occasion could be seen activating from the blue line.....making good on one of his chances.

Ryan Callahan was a big piece missing in last night's contest.

"The flu" is what they were saying...although there was speculation of other things.

Either way, Callahan has been playing mostly bottom six minutes, but what effective bottom six minutes he plays alongside Cedric Paquette and Brian Boyle. A third line that plays like a bruising 2nd line at times.

Last night's game wasn't as physical as Game 1, and I have to wonder whether Callahan NOT leading the way and stirring things up had a bit to do with that.

Hopefully, Cally can get back in the game for the opening set at Amalie Arena tomorrow night.

Erik Condra and/or Jonathan Marchessault bring their own ways to the table, but NEITHER is in the same caliber as Callahan who is a solid top 9 player depending on the team needs, can check, score, set up, and just generally lead by example with his hard nosed experience.

I thought Marchessault played an excellent game.  And honestly as well as Vasilevsky played I really doubt Bishop could've done any better.  I agree if Bishop is healthy you put him back in, but only because he's more likely to be consistent.  

HEHE, just found out a old work friend can't use his tickets for Sunday's Game 5,  I think I may be driving to the 'burgh on Sunday Night!!!!!  YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAA!  Hope this doesn't fall through.

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

HEHE, just found out a old work friend can't use his tickets for Sunday's Game 5,  I think I may be driving to the 'burgh on Sunday Night!!!!!  YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAA!  Hope this doesn't fall through.

I'll be there in 222!  Lol 

Wow, that was great road game by the Pens. Would love to see the time of possession on the puck tonight, there were sequences where they just dominated the offensive zone.  48 shots on goal tonight in an up temp game.    HBK line still on a roll.

9 hours ago, nossagog said:

Wow, that was great road game by the Pens. Would love to see the time of possession on the puck tonight, there were sequences where they just dominated the offensive zone.  48 shots on goal tonight in an up temp game.    HBK line still on a roll.

That's how you do it. Weather the early storm in the 1st. Dominate the 2nd and 3rd. Never take your foot off the gas.

10 hours ago, nossagog said:

The Bolts skated backwards into their own zone all night. The Pens literally had them on their heels all night. The Third period was the result of constant pressure in the first and second. Hagelin was the find of the season,

53 minutes ago, B21 said:

That's how you do it. Weather the early storm in the 1st. Dominate the 2nd and 3rd. Never take your foot off the gas.

THAT. They never let the Lightning establish any type of pressure and to control the tempo. Speed and power, this Penguin team is fun to watch.

Glad Crosby got another goal last night.  That'll be good for the team confidence.  Heard an interesting bit from someone on the inside last night too... I'm not seeing things.  The entire team is pretty banged up, as all teams are at this point I'd imagine.  They're weathering it well though... GO PENS! 

That was a great road game played by the Pens, I feel like that game and game two by the Sharks  vs the Blues could be the primer for how to "do it'.

That score could have been 6 or 7 to 1 the way the Pens played.  

If I'm a Lightning fan I'm worrying about what's been going on on the ice, that's two games in a row where the Pens are winning foot races and battles everywhere all the time.  

They look like the best team still playing hockey to me.

I think Bishop is done.  The video they showed of him claiming he's a possible looked horrible.  The guy barely moved with the trainer taking limp wrist shots at him, never moved his knees, and when he went side to side he was slow motion.  I think he and Stamkos talk could very well be all head game by Cooper.  

9 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

I think Bishop is done.  The video they showed of him claiming he's a possible looked horrible.  The guy barely moved with the trainer taking limp wrist shots at him, never moved his knees, and when he went side to side he was slow motion.  I think he and Stamkos talk could very well be all head game by Cooper.  

Doc Limerick(really, with all his goofy sayings, just change the name Doc) on NHL Network Radio said Bishop practiced pretty hard yesterday, so he may be back.    I think with Stammer, and the blood clots, that's a different story.  Look at the whole Dupers thing this year for us.  That's nothing to be messed with. 

Looking for the Bolts to come out hard again tonight.   If Murray can withstand the first 8-10 minutes, I think the Pens win again. 

Great first 40 for the Bolts and a great final 20 for the Pens.  But basic math says 40 > 20,

Tampa really carried the play in those first two periods, and really played a pretty tight game.   They kept the Pens from getting any possession time in the first part of the game.  The Callahan goal was really key to get Tampa off to a good start, it allowed them to really crank the screws down in the netural zone.

Hope Daly is okay, didn't look like it was the hit that did the damage, it looked almost like his skate got caught in a rut and twisted as he was taken into the boards. 

On 5/19/2016 at 4:48 PM, nossagog said:

From today's news, sounds like Bishop is doubtful for Friday night, and it sounds less likely that Stammer can be back for this series.  That's a shame. 

It is ashame, but I think they're fine without either. Not great to not have either player of that high a caliber available, but fine. If I'm Cooper, I leave Vas in there. It's tempting to want to put your All-Star goalie in there as soon as possible, but Vasilevsky has done a very good job so why change things up? The Bolts have way more important things to worry about, like how to better contain the Penguins speed through the neutral zone and in the middle of the ice. If they don't do both, they won't beat Pittsburgh. They also need to keep them off the power play as much as possible. 

Tampa Bay played a much more aggressive and fast game...and the results are what they were in Game 1: a solid win.

Also, just as importantly, the Bolts took advantage of opportunities presented to them.

Even in Game 3, with the Penguins' "dominant" performance, the Bolts had golden chances that went by the boards early on (thanks to Matt Murray), and if they capitalize on those, the game has a very different complexion, and the media and everyone else likely isn't talking about how Pittsburgh "dominated".

This Game 4 was a 'flip the script' sort of game....where one can argue the Bolts 'dominated' most of the game, but then took their foot off the gas so to speak in the 3rd, allowing the Pens to make things closer than they perhaps needed to be.

When interviewed at game's end, I think Jason Garrison put it best:  "We played a bit too safe, they are a good team, we can't give them chances like we did"

Amen.

Bottom line though, the series is tied, and I think it's pretty established that if the Lightning play a certain way (I.E. fast and aggressive), they have the means to very much control the game, and thus the series, and they should be able to win 2 out of 3 and advance.

Will be interesting to see what decision the Penguins make now that Murray has suffered one of his worst outings in the playoffs (at least I think it is...had the Rangers or Capitals done much damage to him in ANY game previous?).....do they put him 'back on the horse', or do they go with MAF, whom I jokingly said was "inspiring" his team (hey, who knows, I joked, but maybe he DID!).

I think, regardless of who the Penguins have in goal (or regardless of who the Bolts themselves have in goal), it is pretty clear Tampa Bay just needs to continue to be aggressive, continue the physical play while maintaining speed through the neutral zone and keep the Penguins from getting comfortable at all on offense.

Any let ups in any of those areas, and TB is looking at results like they saw in Games 2 and 3 and late in Game 4.

It wasn't that speed by the Bolts that made the difference.. it was the Pens failing to remember to use their own.  They got drawn into the physical matchup by the Bolts' playing physical.  The Bolts were doing a good job of just banging bodies and the Pens let their game style change because of it.  To me that's where the Bolts played the better game.  Their speed wasn't overwhelming, but their mental game was. 

I do question the officiating some.  You can't let Kunitz get tripped causing a turnover that leads to the first goal, and then call some of the crap calls they made giving the Bolts power plays.  Letang's meltdown deserved a call, but a double?  Which resulted in the GW by the way.  But let Kessel's stick get slashed in two as he's carrying the puck to the net and no call there? 

Now don't misunderstand...  the team lost the game.  They got drawn away from their game style until the third period when they realized the physical doesn't matter if you score the goals.  Just frustrating to see the officiating falter.  I had felt it pretty even up in both calls and non-calls until that game.   

So we move on to game 1 in a best of three series.  I am hoping the Pens pick up where they left off in the third period.  If they do, and continue to embrace the speed system Sullivan coaches, they will move on to the Cup. 

I didn't see a huge difference in the Pens' game last night as far as their speed but TB got in their way a lot more often, which to me was the difference. In G3 TB (to my mind anyway) just let the Pens have too much room. Last night they (TB) contested every possession - probably the thought of going down 3-1 played into that but Callahan's return was huge - even if he hadn't scored right away. I still can't believe how Yzerman ... the Rangers had one of the best captains ... aye carumba ... but I digress.

Credit TB for banging bodies at every opportunity. The Pens missed some easy outs of the zone b/c of the the Bolts' pressure; the Pens didn't sustain a forecheck the way they did in G3. TB turned those "misses" into offense - TB has some serious team speed too - and got rewarded right away.

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

keep the Penguins from getting comfortable at all on offense.

just re-read your post TFG - missed this the first time somehow. Anyway - yes and yes, this is IT entirely (well, almost) for the Lightning. If they can continue disrupting the Pens flow - and boy can they generate some ridiculously smooth and fast transitions/rushes - they can win this series.

Archived