NHL Player Shot Dead After Child Falls Onto the Ice

Polaris922

NHL Player Shot Dead After Child Falls Onto the Ice

PITTSBURGH — San Jose Sharks defenseman Brent Burns was shot dead Wednesday night by Consol Energy Center security after he picked up a small child that had fallen over the boards and onto the rink in Pittsburgh during Game 2 of the Stanley Cups Finals. While at first it seemed the 6-foot-5, 225-pound hockey player was protecting the child, the decision was made to put him down when he began dragging the 4 year-old back and forth across the ice.

“A hockey player is a very violent animal who really doesn’t know his own strength,” said arena security director Blake Rienhold. “We did what was necessary.”

“Obviously, it’s a huge loss to have to shoot Brent,” said NHL commissioner Gary Bettman. “But he was in a very aggressive, agitated state. This is the Stanley Cup Final, after all. We couldn’t risk him hurting the child.”

The child who fell onto the ice had been sitting in the front row with his parents and climbed up and over the glass while they were focusing on the play. Burns scooped up the child and initially seemed to be protecting it, but appeared to grow more aggressive when a Penguin approached him. The decision was then made to shoot him.

After dying, Burns missed two shifts and then returned to the ice.

@teenagemutantninjahertl

Relax...parodies are made every day about just about everything you can imagine. From funny events that happen to celebrities to tragic events.  Think about Steve Harvey and the huge mistake he made regarding the Miss Universe pageant.  He was totally embarrassed by his mistake and there were a great number of jokes made about it.

Personally I agree with you...what happened at the Zoo is horrific.  My family loves zoos and I think it is a shame an animal had to be put to death because of the irresponsibility of a mother who did not watch her son closely enough.  Personally I think the mom should be brought up on charges but that is another topic for another day.

Second every player and I mean every player gets ripped on about about something  Have you seen the banter that goes back and forth between the Pens and Flyers fans regarding Crosby and Giroux. on this forum. 

I know Polaris well enough on this forum.  He just does not post stuff to humiliate or cause emotional pain to other posters.  I can tell you this was posted strictly tongue and cheek for fun.  However, if you truly feel like you are offended by his post, I will PM him and see if he is willing to delete or hide the post.

1 hour ago, teenagemutantninjahertl said:

This "article" is absolutely ridiculous and insensitive. What happened at the Cincinati Zoo was a tragedy. The parents of the child should not have put their child in that situation and they should be held accountable. It is awful that an innocent aninal had to die because parents could not do their responsibility of keeping their child safe. 

Also, people need to get off Brent Burns' back. He has worked his entire life to get to where he is. He enjoys snakes and tattoos and having a beard. Who are you to mock him for it? I am a diehard Sharks fan. Every game I watch, someone jokes about him and his beard. He can do whatever he wants regarding his facial hair and the hair on his head. He likes it. His wife lets him be happy about his beard. Who the heck are you to critize a man you probably have never met? No one pokes jokes at you for the things that make you different. Probably because you are basically anonymous on this site. Leave the guy alone. This whole article makes me sick. 

I left this site about a year ago for personal reason. I came across this through my email and I was so angry I came back for this. You are so insensitive. Think about what you say before you write it online forever. 

Are you kidding?  It's a joke man... People often cope with tragedies with humor.  I'm a cop and you're going to sit here and tell me nobody has ever made fun of me without "knowing" me?  Maybe in a biblical sense...

I can only assume you're young yet and maybe have limited exposure to things so I'm wording this very gently.  But if you think this kind of parody is that bad, you're in for a rough ride.  

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

However, if you truly feel like you are offended by his post, I will PM him and see if he is willing to delete or hide the post.

If you do it I'LL be the next one leaving this site for personal reasons :5726ba4a2f0cc_nonono:

2 hours ago, teenagemutantninjahertl said:

Also, people need to get off Brent Burns' back. He has worked his entire life to get to where he is. He enjoys snakes and tattoos and having a beard. Who are you to mock him for it? I am a diehard Sharks fan. Every game I watch, someone jokes about him and his beard. He can do whatever he wants regarding his facial hair and the hair on his head. He likes it. His wife lets him be happy about his beard. Who the heck are you to critize a man you probably have never met? No one pokes jokes at you for the things that make you different. Probably because you are basically anonymous on this site. Leave the guy alone. This whole article makes me sick. 

You have got be kidding, what are you 8 years old? Last time I saw skin that thin it was on a bowl of tomato soup.  How the hell was polaris mocking Burns' tattoo and beard by posting a satirical piece. Seriously, I would love an answer to that, one based on logic not some emotional ramble about everyone picking on your hero and comparing this to things like suicide by cyber bullying.

4 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

See, everyone was ok!!

2 hours ago, teenagemutantninjahertl said:

And how do you think he feels seeing crap like this on a daily basis? Doesn't make me feel good. Sure wouldn't make him feel good. 

You are a cop so you should know posts like these drive kids to kill themselves. How would you feel at age 14 and someone compared you to a gorilla and said you were shot to death? It's called cyber bullying. 

Don't get me wrong, parody is very useful. You don't need to use it to lay into someone because they have a different style than you. Believe me, he's offended. He won't admit it, but he is. Tell me that wouldn't hurt your feelings a little bit if that was you. The problem with parody is you don't understand how a racial or sexist or whatever joke makes other people feel and you don't even care. 

I think you've led a very sheltered life.  If it offends you, don't read it.  Know what happens either way?  Absolutely nothing... 

@teenagemutantninjahertl

The parents of a 4 year old have little control whatsoever on where a 4 year old darts in a split second if they look away and the people crying for pitchforks over the parents "not doing their job" obviously don't have kids or understand a thing about having kids that age. Unless you are an overprotective psycho parent who keeps a white knuckle grip on their hands in public or keeps them on a leash, they can get into a life threatening situation in literally the time it takes you to glance away at a noise and don't know any better regardless of how you raise them.

By most eyewitness accounts, the kid was able to scamper through the bars of the enclosure and pushed through the bushes to fall in in seconds while the parents were dealing with one of their other 3 kids. The only accounts saying "he climbed multiple blockades" and make it seem like the parents just did nothing come from the zoo trying to do damage control and now under investigation.

Another guy posted this a few days back

Just off the top of my head:

- When my middle son was 4, I took him to the mall. He wanted to run, I kept fussing at him to walk beside me. Eventually he gave into the urge and ran around a corner a few seconds ahead of me. I kept walking at a steady pace, because ****, I'm not going to chase a kid through a mall like a madman. I figured I would find him on the other side of that corner in a few seconds and chew him out. Well, when he turned that corner he kept going and went into a large department store that was close by.... ran all the way through that store and then out a different side door. So he ended up in a completely different part of the mall, alone. Half an hour later a store employee figured out that I was the dad everyone was looking for, and brought me to the mall security office where he was waiting.

- When my youngest was 4, I took him and his brothers to the NC zoo. While we were walking, we spotted a copperhead (poisonous snake) basking in the footpath ahead of us. I said "that's a poisonous snake, don't get close". His brothers stopped and kept their distance, but little man decided he wanted to run and jump OVER the snake for some reason. Another dad happened to see him start running, and intercepted him about 5 feet short of his liftoff point.

That's twice, off the top of my head, that I could have easily been "WOAT dad" in the news. "4 year old kidnapped while dad wanders around mall", "4 year old bitten by copperhead while dad looks on".

**** like this happens with kids that age. In both cases I was paying attention, dialed in to the situation. But that flat out is not enough to keep a 4 year old contained. Nothing is enough, really. The difference between these zoo parents and myself is sheer luck and the charity of strangers. Thus, I'm very reluctant to judge a parent unless there's clear evidence of deliberate negligence.

And it is right on the money

@teenagemutantninjahertl

I was just reading through this thread and I'm not sure why you chose to hide all of your posts.  You made some valid points in the discussion of the Parody.  That really is all good here.  Differing opinions are what make a forum interesting, imo.   

I'm also cool with the topic post.  Members here bring all sorts of stuff here for discussion.   I read it yesterday morning shortly after the topic was posted and thought ... huh, I can't even comment on this.  But after reading through the thread I thought I want to analyze this parody. 

At first, the parody seemed funny, as I'm cool with considering Burns a "Beast" on the ice, not necessarily by looks, as he is an amazing defenseman who has had an awesomely dominant season.  ( my personal vote for the Norris trophy).  

But, the parody also lost me, as in not funny at all when it referred to the innocent who are shot for no reason.  I just can't find humor in statements like that. 

and then it ends with this...

5 hours ago, sarsippius said:
10 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

See, everyone was ok!!

@sarsippius 's comment here is spot on.  

It should be ok to be different, it should be ok to have differing opinions.  Unfortunately, the real world strives to put us all in a box.  And that is not funny at all.

7 hours ago, sarsippius said:

If you do it I'LL be the next one leaving this site for personal reasons :5726ba4a2f0cc_nonono:

You are correct....I was only trying to diffuse a situation.  I'm not perfect.  Please forgive me.

10 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

You are correct....I was only trying to diffuse a situation.  I'm not perfect.  Please forgive me.

Something to lighten the mood.........

6a015432336548970c0168e9ec75ba970c-pi

3 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Lol I know what you were doing and you were correct to handle as you did,  I was just being my beligerent self! Any threat by me to leave here is a hollow one, no forgiveness required my hockey brother :toast:

7 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

@teenagemutantninjahertl

The parents of a 4 year old have little control whatsoever on where a 4 year old darts in a split second if they look away and the people crying for pitchforks over the parents "not doing their job" obviously don't have kids or understand a thing about having kids that age. Unless you are an overprotective psycho parent who keeps a white knuckle grip on their hands in public or keeps them on a leash, they can get into a life threatening situation in literally the time it takes you to glance away at a noise and don't know any better regardless of how you raise them.

By most eyewitness accounts, the kid was able to scamper through the bars of the enclosure and pushed through the bushes to fall in in seconds while the parents were dealing with one of their other 3 kids. The only accounts saying "he climbed multiple blockades" and make it seem like the parents just did nothing come from the zoo trying to do damage control and now under investigation.

Another guy posted this a few days back

And it is right on the money

there but for the grace of god go I ...

bingo 

The parody would have been funnier if security missed Burns and took out Crosby by mistake. Upon seeing this Regis jumps over the boards and immediately begins mouth to XXXXX resuscitation and revives him. While the entire area and NBC broadcast crew are watching Regis deliver a miracle, the ice crew rescues the child.

:huh:

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Something to lighten the mood.........

6a015432336548970c0168e9ec75ba970c-pi

That is completely unacceptable!   There are thousands of ogres and millions of jackasses offended by that graphic.  These men have families and have lost loved ones in the name of pasteurized milk, velour couch cushions, and chrome playing on reproduction auto parts.  To mock their contribution to society... 

1 hour ago, Polaris922 said:

That is completely unacceptable!   There are thousands of ogres and millions of jackasses offended by that graphic.  These men have families and have lost loved ones in the name of pasteurized milk, velour couch cushions, and chrome playing on reproduction auto parts.  To mock their contribution to society... 

:56ce531864bc1_PostAwardsm:

Sure, the parents should have kept a much tighter leash on the youngster, totally agree with that. What I don't agree with his people bumming out about the outcome. Sorry, but I'm one of the biggest animal advocates around, but the right choice was made in this case. Simply put, no matter who was at fault for the kid falling down, for me, the kids life is more valuable than the rare Gorilla.

This kid was just super lucky he fell near the water. Gorilla's do not really like water, but the surprise visitor peaked his curiosity. Had the beast dragged that kid on concrete, a real good chance he dies right there and then, the water saved him. I don't consider it important exactly what the Gorilla's intentions were....bottom line, that kid's life was seriously in danger. Feel outrage because the animal died you say? I have a feeling if it was your son, brother, nephew etc, the cries of cruelty would have been toned down quite a bit.

What if the worse case comes true, that the Gorilla snapped the kids neck in a split second? If the guy had a clear shot and did not take it and the boy died, the resulting **** storm would have been massive. They would be calling the zoo killers straight up. There would be million dollar loss of life lawsuit so big, that zoo would close down.  Parents would be SO messed up they would never recover.....along with hundreds of his relatives and friends.

Unfortunate outcome....a resounding yes....right call...ditto. Sure the parents are at fault, but so is the zoo, when you have a beast of that magnitude in an enclosure, you better make 100% certain there is NO way for a human to get, no matter how big or small...it MUST be fool proof. This poor beast lost his life because of the mistakes of humans, which is horribly wrong, but not as wrong as the outcome being the tragic death of a curious little boy. Just my take.

If they would have left the gorilla where it belongs on the side of a mountain in Rwanda or wherever he's from, none of this happens.

I don't have a problem with some animals being in a zoo...but one as intelligent as that should just be left the hell alone. It's like those swim with dolphins abominations...it's just wrong.

Archived