Calgary interested in Fleury

19 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Reported from several sources. Calgary may be on the MAF no-go list.  I wonder if Calgary is on he No-Go list this year

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/06/16/report-flames-have-contacted-pens-about-fleury-trade/

Yup. It's started....

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/06/15/eric-francis-calgary-flames-goaltending-answer-is-evident--marc-andre-fleury

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/10636770-74/fleury-penguins-murray

So if Martin Jones pre-Cup run is worth what Boston had to be thinking was going to be a mid-1st round pick (which ultimately ended up being the 29th overall pick) then what is Fleury worth to the Flames?  Jones was RFA at the time and signed a 3 year, $9,000,000 deal after the trade.

Is Fleury and one of our 2nd round picks (say 55th) to the Flames for 6th overall a fair deal?

Edit: My guess is that Calgary is on his no-go list. In searching for that I found this...

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/marc-andre-fleury1

He can list 18 he can be traded to. 12 he can't.

Goalies, for whatever reason, don't generally garner a ton of value in trades. Fleury will be 32 shortly into next season and has a history of concussions and meltdowns.

Jones is 26, and just because a gm who doesn't really seem to know what he's doing thought he's worth something, doesn't mean that's what the going rate is for everyone (see Holmgren, Paul and McDud, McDud)

If I'm Calgary, there's no way in hell I'm giving up a shot at a Dubois/Tkachuk/Nylander for a big ? in net. Worse trades have definitely been made though. I'd think a 2nd round pick would be more in the ballpark than 6th overall...even considering the 2nd coming back.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Goalies, for whatever reason, don't generally garner a ton of value in trades. Fleury will be 32 shortly into next season and has a history of concussions and meltdowns.

Jones is 26, and just because a gm who doesn't really seem to know what he's doing thought he's worth something, doesn't mean that's what the going rate is for everyone (see Holmgren, Paul and McDud, McDud)

If I'm Calgary, there's no way in hell I'm giving up a shot at a Dubois/Tkachuk/Nylander for a big ? in net. Worse trades have definitely been made though. I'd think a 2nd round pick would be more in the ballpark than 6th overall...even considering the 2nd coming back.

Yeah, I could see Calgary taking Fluery and swapping 2nds so the Pens get the 6th pick in the second round.

Calgary has three 2nds in this year's draft already. I could see them giving up theirs for Fleury and taking the Pens last(?) pick to go with their Dallas and Florida 2nds.

No way Calgary gives up 6th overall for a 2nd and a 32-year-old (in November) with three more years at $5.75M and a dodgy noggin.

That's pineapples and hand grenades to Jones.

Fleury for T.J. Brodie, one of the most underrated puck moving defender in the game today. The Flames are stacked on the back end and can afford this type of deal, it works perfect for both teams.

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Fleury for T.J. Brodie, one of the most underrated puck moving defender in the game today. The Flames are stacked on the back end and can afford this type of deal, it works perfect for both teams.

They would have to be insane to agree to that. Brodie was arguably their best Dman last year and is signed to a sweetheart of a contract. Pens need to add bigtime for a sniff at Brodie. And that is not me putting down Fleury. A 26 year old two way defenseman entering his prime years and signed below 5 million is arguably the most valuable commodity in the NHL.

Unlike last year, goalie options are far more limited this year, so it is more of a sellers market, but I don't see them making that trade.

9 hours ago, B21 said:

Yup. It's started....

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/06/15/eric-francis-calgary-flames-goaltending-answer-is-evident--marc-andre-fleury

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/10636770-74/fleury-penguins-murray

So if Martin Jones pre-Cup run is worth what Boston had to be thinking was going to be a mid-1st round pick (which ultimately ended up being the 29th overall pick) then what is Fleury worth to the Flames?  Jones was RFA at the time and signed a 3 year, $9,000,000 deal after the trade.

Is Fleury and one of our 2nd round picks (say 55th) to the Flames for 6th overall a fair deal?

Edit: My guess is that Calgary is on his no-go list. In searching for that I found this...

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/marc-andre-fleury1

He can list 18 he can be traded to. 12 he can't.

Goalies with team lists who don't want to move can easily make themselves nearly unmoveable.

All Fleury has to do is look at which teams already have #1 goalies and say "hmmm, ill go to these 18 teams". Good luck convincing LA to take Fleury, or the Penguins to take one of Lehtonen/Niemi back in a trade from Dallas.

Effectively, he has a full NMC unless his agent is a dumbarse.

28 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

They would have to be insane to agree to that. Brodie was arguably their best Dman last year and is signed to a sweetheart of a contract. Pens need to add bigtime for a sniff at Brodie. And that is not me putting down Fleury. A 26 year old two way defenseman entering his prime years and signed below 5 million is arguably the most valuable commodity in the NHL.

Unlike last year, goalie options are far more limited this year, so it is more of a sellers market, but I don't see them making that trade.

The Flames have Giordano as their number one and Dougie Hamilton who finally got it together in the second half, Brodie is one Hell of a hockey player and a favorite of mine, I agree that he would be difficult to get away from the Flames but the Flames are a team that has glaring weaknesses, depth at forward being one and the massive crater in net being the biggest.

Hiller, Ramo, Backstrom and Ortio were God awful, they destroyed the season for the team and cost Hartley his job. Gillies is several years away. This is a match made in heaven, he makes the Flames a playoff team. With Cam Ward resigning in Carolina, it leaves Andersen and Fleury as the top two candidates, maybe Montoya for a team that is in a pinch, maybe Jimmy Howard for a team that has completely bumped their head. Dallas and Calgary are the two who need someone the most, if I were Rutherford, I would start a game of chicken with the two teams, Dallas has young top nine forwards in the system with upside, Calgary has Brodie. I would throw offers out to both teams and say whoever takes the offer first gets the flower. Anaheim certainly is not trading a goalie to Dallas, likely not to Calgary either so it is Fleury or bust for a big name. Pittsburgh does not have to be in a hurry, I would play the two against each other.

16 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I also don't think Fleury will be the guy they go with. I think Calgary makes a deal with Anaheim for Andersen.

That would be a good option for the Ducks since they can't protect but only one goalie (expansion draft upcoming) might as well get something of value for one of them.

13 hours ago, yave1964 said:

The Flames have Giordano as their number one and Dougie Hamilton who finally got it together in the second half, Brodie is one Hell of a hockey player and a favorite of mine, I agree that he would be difficult to get away from the Flames but the Flames are a team that has glaring weaknesses, depth at forward being one and the massive crater in net being the biggest.

Hiller, Ramo, Backstrom and Ortio were God awful, they destroyed the season for the team and cost Hartley his job. Gillies is several years away. This is a match made in heaven, he makes the Flames a playoff team. With Cam Ward resigning in Carolina, it leaves Andersen and Fleury as the top two candidates, maybe Montoya for a team that is in a pinch, maybe Jimmy Howard for a team that has completely bumped their head. Dallas and Calgary are the two who need someone the most, if I were Rutherford, I would start a game of chicken with the two teams, Dallas has young top nine forwards in the system with upside, Calgary has Brodie. I would throw offers out to both teams and say whoever takes the offer first gets the flower. Anaheim certainly is not trading a goalie to Dallas, likely not to Calgary either so it is Fleury or bust for a big name. Pittsburgh does not have to be in a hurry, I would play the two against each other.

I don't see it happening. Not without large adds from the pens. Even if they desperately want a #1 goalie. Which they have shown little initiative in going for even when it was a buyers market last year.

Calgary could just sign Reimer without giving up assets. They could resign Ramo and wait a year. Make a play for a Tampa goalie. Elliott in a year.

Elite dmen signed that cheap are more rare

20 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I also don't think Fleury will be the guy they go with. I think Calgary makes a deal with Anaheim for Andersen.

I don't think Andersen gets dealt inside the division. Tronno maybe? Detroit?

17 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Goalies with team lists who don't want to move can easily make themselves nearly unmoveable.

All Fleury has to do is look at which teams already have #1 goalies and say "hmmm, ill go to these 18 teams". Good luck convincing LA to take Fleury, or the Penguins to take one of Lehtonen/Niemi back in a trade from Dallas.

Effectively, he has a full NMC unless his agent is a dumbarse.

Goalies also have egos. I don't think Fleury does but I don't think he wants to split and/or back up Murray regardless of how much he's making.  If I'm MAF I look at 2 things when I am making my list: Would I be the #1 guy and geography.  The latter is moot to me. No one is trading for Fleury unless they want him as a #1. $5,750,000 million reasons for that. I just don't see him including teams with entrenched starters "on purpose" to make a deal that much more challenging.

16 hours ago, yave1964 said:

This.  MAF isn't a luxury item for the Flames. He fills a need. A huge need. 

1 hour ago, B21 said:

This.  MAF isn't a luxury item for the Flames. He fills a need. A huge need. 

A need guys like Reimer and Ramo have proven they can't fill.  

Its in Fleury's hands.  He'll decide.  

On 6/18/2016 at 2:54 PM, Polaris922 said:

A need guys like Reimer and Ramo have proven they can't fill.  

Its in Fleury's hands.  He'll decide.  

Agree completely.  He can pick 18 teams he can be dealt to (12 he can't).  Inevitable there are going to be teams on there who do not need starting netminders.  If it comes to this there are about 3-4 teams that could use a Fleury that if I were in his shoes I'd be willing to go to (though not sure if MAF shares my geographical preferences).

Pittsburgh is looking for Calgary's first round pick for Fleury.  Which is is overpay imo.   Calgary would get a much better netminder in Bishop.

Archived