• Finland
    • North America
    • Russia
    • Sweden
    • USA

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a strange format this tournament is. I really have my fingers crossed that we never see this one again in this format. Let's just play country vs. country and leave it at that. Am I out to lunch on this? (wouldn't be the first time)....

33 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

What a strange format this tournament is. I really have my fingers crossed that we never see this one again in this format. Let's just play country vs. country and leave it at that. Am I out to lunch on this? (wouldn't be the first time)....

The format is clearly set up for a Canada/US or Canada/Sweden final. Which is why I'm pulling for North America to pull off the upset and win the whole damn thing.

Caught the last 2 periods...thought Canada dominated about 30 minutes of it...and I heard about 16 of the first. Price played like he hadn't in 300 days. He'll be fine by the time they count.

Kesler,...it's exhibition you douchebag.

Damned good game. Some real venom in that game like there should be in a good hockey game. He he there'll be some adjustments made for the game tonight in Ottawa. Ice looked bad in Colombus, hope it's better in Ottawa. Not sure who's starting, but I bet it will be Price again, he looked a tad rusty.

On 8/25/2016 at 3:52 PM, Polaris922 said:

The "World Cup" is nothing but a blatant money grab hidden under national flags.  What a joke.  It annoys me that players feel compelled to play under the guise of nationalism and it does nothing but take them away from their team commitments. I understand the Olympics every four years.  But this is pointless.  

If it makes you feel any better, the World Cup is intended to replace the NHL's participation in the Olympics.

That way the NHL can grab all the money. :thumbsu:

Then again, since this is the NHL, I'm sure they will do both (World Cup + Olympics)... and then introduce another international tournament to fill in the odd years when neither an Olympics or World Cup is being played.  :DohSmiley: 

53 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Looks like Tortsys "poke the bear" strategy is working great....Canada pummels the US on the scoreboard and the cheapshot artists on the ice. Without their best player. Or goalie. 

Kesler deserved those two hits.  lol.   I think the intensity of these two games is everything the NHL was hoping for. They could have been as boring as an All Star game.  Give some credit to Tortsie  :tongue:.

I get that the NHL wanted to maximise profits with these weekend preseason tourney games, but back to back nights before much of a training camp without extended rosters the NHL was really taking a big risk on key player injuries.  Why was Crosby a healthy scratch over someone like Giroux or Couture who were injured Fri night?  Had these have been back to back pre-season games with the Flyers Giroux wouldn't have played both games.  

9 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Kesler deserved those two hits.  lol.   I think the intensity of these two games is everything the NHL was hoping for. They could have been as boring as an All Star game.  Give some credit to Tortsie  :tongue:.

I get that the NHL wanted to maximise profits with these weekend preseason tourney games, but back to back nights before much of a training camp without extended rosters the NHL was really taking a big risk on key player injuries.  Why was Crosby a healthy scratch over someone like Giroux or Couture who were injured Fri night?  Had these have been back to back pre-season games with the Flyers Giroux wouldn't have played both games.  

Crosby was likely scratched because he's the best player in the world, showed little rust in the first game,  and Tortsy has the likes of Dubinsky/Abdelkader/Palmeiri/Kesler running guys in an exhibition game. 

Giroux is still trying to earn playing time.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

The players have always played World Cup and Canada Cup tournaments with a high level of intensity. For my part, I've been looking forward to this since the 2014 Olympics ended.

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Looks like Tortsys "poke the bear" strategy is working great....Canada pummels the US on the scoreboard and the cheapshot artists on the ice. Without their best player. Or goalie. 

I thought Toews played last night?

Archived