McDavid Named Captain

radoran

55 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Well I guess it was inevitable.

I know he was going to get there eventually, but this speaks volumes about the Oilers "leadership" on the ice. 

Realistically speaking, you have to make the kid earn it. Oh well.  :DohSmiley:

I'm not a fan of burdening a young player with that responsibility.  McDavid will have respect from his teammates because of his play, so he'll have leadership in the room.   I think the C should be given to a seasoned pro.   

12 minutes ago, blocker said:

I'm not a fan of burdening a young player with that responsibility.  McDavid will have respect from his teammates because of his play, so he'll have leadership in the room.   I think the C should be given to a seasoned pro.   

Edmonton doesn't have any.

21 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

I feel for the kid. Everyone should have a childhood, even a pro hockey player. I think it's a bad move but I hope I'm wrong.

I think McDavid has had this kind of pressure on him for a long time. He's also very mature for his age. 

Plus he doesn't have Mario coaching him to be a snivelling whiner. And I'm not even joking. 

48 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

At 19 years, 266 days Connor McDavid is now the youngest Captain in NHL history. Landeskog had title at 19 years, 286 days

Well now I know why they did it. They wanted the Oilers brand attached to an NHL record.  

36 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It was either him or Lucic...and McDavid is way more mature.

This is hilarious.

Now, if I am an Edmonton fan, I worry McDavid may get injured in a hissy fit Lucic may melt down into (throwing around water bottles, pucks, and NHL rulebooks) because HE, the "veteran" didn't get chosen as Captain.

Of course, he will rant, rave, scream and shout that he is the most mature on the team. ;)

As if the kid needed more pressure......

I wouldn't have done it, not yet anyway. Maybe in a few years but two thirds of an NHL season is not enough time to anoint him as such. I know the Oilers are thrilled to have him as anyone would and should be, but IMHO this is too much too soon.

I know they are desperately attempting to erase all recent dissapointments, trading Schultz, Hall and Yak are case in point, looking over the roster, I guess if I had to name someone it might have to be either Eberle or Lucic. Eberle is tied in to the recent past failures although he is one hell of a player, and Lucic is probably too tempestuous.

So never mind, give it to the kid by default.

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

As if the kid needed more pressure......

I wouldn't have done it, not yet anyway. Maybe in a few years but two thirds of an NHL season is not enough time to anoint him as such. I know the Oilers are thrilled to have him as anyone would and should be, but IMHO this is too much too soon.

I know they are desperately attempting to erase all recent dissapointments, trading Schultz, Hall and Yak are case in point, looking over the roster, I guess if I had to name someone it might have to be either Eberle or Lucic. Eberle is tied in to the recent past failures although he is one hell of a player, and Lucic is probably too tempestuous.

So never mind, give it to the kid by default.

Well, look at the bright side:

Pressure is like a forging mill...it will either make you or break you. And honestly, from what I've seen of McDavid, from even before the draft, during the draft and his first year in the NHL, pressure doesn't seem to really faze him.

Besides, look at the alternatives you mentioned. So yea, if anything, default says he gets it.

But when you look at the Oilers, the core IS the young group of players. I don't see why the best player on your team (McDavid) can't be that leader of that young core.

If it were a team loaded with battle tested capable veterans, I can see NOT giving Connor the C just yet......they went through something similar in Tampa Bay when people cried out about giving VLC the C while he was still green as all get out, when on the team, you had capable tested leaders such as Tim Taylor, Dave Andreychuk, and Marty St. Louis.

Regardless of who has the C though, the real veteran leaders will still lead by example and even support McDavid in guiding the team to a winning style of play.

Archived