Did Neuvy get the start to showcase to goalie-needy Kings?

Cheesesteak

Any chance Hex started Neuvy in order to showcase him in front of the Kings who are in need of a goalie?  Kinda odd that Mason didn't start the first game...any other reason Mason didn't start, I know he's starting tonight.

hmmmm

25 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

Any chance Hex started Neuvy in order to showcase him in front of the Kings who are in need of a goalie?  Kinda odd that Mason didn't start the first game...any other reason Mason didn't start, I know he's starting tonight.

hmmmm

I wondered the same thing (why Mason didn't start) And with Hextalls connection to the Kings, you never know.  Good call Cheese.

Of course, it's Haks decision...not Hex'.

Either that or Hakstol is trying to split the games between them until someone shows who is hands down the better goalie. It is a nice problem to have, two goalies who don't suck and are actually from this planet.....

Yeah but last i looked Flyers need a backup too. They don't have anyone proven yet behind Neuvy so if they have playoff aspiration themselves no way i do something like that till you know Stolarz or Lyons is ready....

1 hour ago, Cheesesteak said:

hmmmm

Very possible. Although it could just be data driven: Mase is a career .500 vs LA, Neuvy is 4-1-2.

10 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The Flyers are building...everyone is available for trade if the price is right.

They are building, yes.  That doesn't mean, however, that they should trade away important pieces.  Plus, I would imagine they would want to build on the last season's success, as relative as it as it may've been. Building doesn't need ot translate ot getting rid of valuable players. And Neuvy is as serviceable of a back-up as they come.  He will walk right in and play as a starting goalie if Mason has another meltdown.  He demonstrated that he can.

49 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Very possible. Although it could just be data driven: Mase is a career .500 vs LA, Neuvy is 4-1-2.

Since joining the Flyers, Mason is 2-0-1 with a .973 Save PCT and 1 Shutout vs LA. His numbers vs. PHX are much worse 

I don't know why it was Neuvirth over Mason for the opener, but I highly doubt it had anything to do with "showcasing" Neuvirth to the Kings.

For sure, LA needs goaltending as the tandem of Zatkoff and Budaj simply isn't going to cut it in their division, much less the Western Conference as a whole.

But the Kings aren't gonna get anything off the Flyers. Why?

Because the Flyers would be silly at this point in time to trade away Neuvirth (unless they get back a bonafide NHL goalie in return) especially if Philly has any designs on competing and building a winning culture in that locker room again.

Given how Mason has looked at times a bit inconsistent (not to mention injury prone lately), the Flyers are gonna need an actual big league goalie to take over. I think Mason and Neuvirth could see about equal time this year, with Mason, if healthy, perhaps getting a slight edge in games played.

Should Mason require time on IR and Neuvirth is traded away (again, assuming no big league goalie comes back), who does Philly put in there? Stolarz? Lyon? Hart? I don't think so.

Not if the Flyers intend on playing for the post season or don't mind risking wrecking a young goalie's confidence if the team hits a serious tailspin and that young goalie isn't quite NHL ready.

No. I think Flyer fans can expect to see both Mason and Neuvirth get about equal time like I mentioned. Both are UFA's at the end of the  year. Chances are one of them (possibly both) don't come back next year if a youngster in the minors is ready by then, or Philly acquires another goalie by other means...but in the meantime, I am pretty sure both Hextall and Hakstol would want to see if either current goalie would be worth bringing back.

For the present, it's Mason and Neuvirth...and LA will have to look elsewhere (maybe Boston's Anton Khudobin or Detroit's Jimmy Howard) for their goalie needs.

38 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Since joining the Flyers, Mason is 2-0-1 with a .973 Save PCT and 1 Shutout vs LA. His numbers vs. PHX are much worse 

Huh. Well I'm an idiot. I only looked at career splits. So what's your theory?

I hope not. Losing one or the other is inevitable but after the string of rejects Flyers' fans suffered through goaltending is finally one of the team's strengths. I want it to last.

Bear with me for a second. Hakstol and the Flyers are gelling quickly. Goal scoring and special teams (particularly the PK) have been addressed. The defense...Provorov changes everything. Even without MDZ the pairs are solid provided Shultz holds his own. Manning has come a long way; I like him in the top 6 or as a 7th.

My point is I believe with Mason / Neuvirth the Flyers are legitimate Cup contenders this year. The "huge holes" and gaps we talked about are filled. True, filled in part by 19-year old rookies but both are exceptionally talented and mature.

I'm not basing this on last night alone. I always believed Couturier is a 60+ point player given the role and the line mates. Voracek is already miles ahead of where he was last year. Etc. etc. When BSchenn gets back the Flyers will be much tougher for the opposition than they were last year. The luxury to focus on just 1 line is gone.

I hate selling one of our goalies now. The Flyers promise to be an exciting team this year and the one thing that'll ruin it is half-ass goaltending. Even if the Flyers aren't "legitimate Cup contenders" what they're building rests on reliable goaltending. So we get nothing for Neuvirth in July, so what? The confidence and success the team gains this year by keeping him and Mason more than compensates for that "loss."

9 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

hmmmm

No. Do you trust Mason to carry the load and play more than 55-60 games this season? I sure as hell don't. I think they should platoon Neuvy and Mase through the entire season, then see who plays better down the stretch, and start whoever that guy is in the playoffs.

20 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Let' snot get carried away.  :5726c71d97cb4_pleasestopnow:

Sure it's a generous way of looking at the Flyers right now but I don't think it's so farfetched. What's not to like about their chances?

EDIT: never mind I guess I got a little excited watching them beat LA. Last night in Phoenix - partly the effects of travel and <24 hrs back-to-back games - they didn't have near the snap and drive they had in LA. So if they're not "legit Cup contenders" this year the Flyers are a lot closer now that the biggest holes have been addressed.

Last night game versus the Yotes is a perfect example of why they still need Neuvy.

Mason is so inconsistent he may be the one who gets traded to L.A.........just saying last night wasn't ALL his fault but he didn't not have a great game.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

He didn't not have a great game? 

So he had a great game?

I'm confused. 

I'll try typing slooooower for you.

He (meaning Mason the guy between the pipes last night #35) didn't as in did not, have a great game last night.

Capiche?

:572958dbdbdef_bonkingheadonwall:

Archived