Kevin Shattenkirk a target of the Flyers?

11 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, but neither was Carter at Schenn's age.

Ummm. Actually he was.  We just didn't like him.  But he was a pretty good player and a half decent two way center.   Our hatred on these boards always confused me.  We'd kill for a 2C like him now. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, AJgoal said:

What's really ironic is that Carter was traded for exactly the player you needed to play on his wing. 

AJgoal you need to stop buddy you really do. Your making to much sense here and making me feel kinda bad about me wanting to trade Schenn, key word KINDA bad. Keep typing and making good points your really putting me in a bind.

My 2 cents here is though yes we are already struggling offensively and if we trade  another offensive player logic tells you that would only hurt ya more. Sometimes though there is the scenario of addition by subtraction. Yes Schenn puts up better #s then most of us give him credit for but if you half to remodel the whole team to find a home for him then that s saying something.

52 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Ummm. Actually he was.  We just didn't like him.  But he was a pretty good player and a half decent two way center.   Our hatred on these boards always confused me.  We'd kill for a 2C like him now. 

Yes wed kill for a center like him NOW. The way he is playing NOW not the way he was acting back when he was Schenns age.

1 hour ago, Philly29 said:

Yes wed kill for a center like him NOW. The way he is playing NOW not the way he was acting back when he was Schenns age.

Yes, playing a responsible two way game and scoring 46 goals was atrocious behavior.

Come one... let it go man.  How much time needs to pass before we can start being realistic?

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

I can't possibly disagree with any of that.  I guess my comment was just referencing that I think he has gotten a lot better 2-way as he's grown and since he's here. 

But yes, agree with your post. 

24 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I can't possibly disagree with any of that.  I guess my comment was just referencing that I think he has gotten a lot better 2-way as he's grown and since he's here. 

But yes, agree with your post. 

His numbers have flagged a little since joining the kings, but the have been more consistent (until this year when he seems to have exploded).  

His overall play has become more physically aggressive (and I don't just mean hitting).  He skates with intention, confidence and he anticipates the play.  He used to follow the play very well here, but he was more tentative in his actions with regards to the play.  

Some say Maturity, I'd suggest it's maybe some of that combined with a greater trust in his system and confidence in his role within it.  

2 hours ago, Philly29 said:

AJgoal you need to stop buddy you really do. Your making to much sense here and making me feel kinda bad about me wanting to trade Schenn, key word KINDA bad. Keep typing and making good points your really putting me in a bind.

My 2 cents here is though yes we are already struggling offensively and if we trade  another offensive player logic tells you that would only hurt ya more. Sometimes though there is the scenario of addition by subtraction. Yes Schenn puts up better #s then most of us give him credit for but if you half to remodel the whole team to find a home for him then that s saying something.

But we don't. The first line was the most productive it's been when he was on the LW with Simmonds on the right. In fact, Simmonds was on a tear at the beginning of the season this year when that was the layout, but Giroux struggled and so did Schenn coming off his suspension. So Hakstol broke it up (after what, 5 games?) and has since insisted on playing Schenn at C where he has shown himself to be less adept than at wing. And now we're back to looking for a top line LW to play with Giroux, and have also dropped Simmonds all the way to the third line in favor of Matt Read. When what makes the most sense is to give what worked last season a serious try and see if you can give your top offensive players top offensive time.

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

Yes, playing a responsible two way game and scoring 46 goals was atrocious behavior.

Come one... let it go man.  How much time needs to pass before we can start being realistic?

You forgot the off ice troubles? That doesn't make it on to the ice?

9 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

You forgot the off ice troubles? That doesn't make it on to the ice?

Are we talking about the party with Temple girls, the seduction of Hartnell's wife or the conjecture of illicit drug use?  Which urban legends are you referring to?

42 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Are we talking about the party with Temple girls, the seduction of Hartnell's wife or the conjecture of illicit drug use?  Which urban legends are you referring to?

What about just the everyday boozing and whoring? I don't think that was conjecture.

Any deal from a Flyers perspective would have to include a long term extension. Good luck with that, the defense starved Leafs will have almost 20 mill to spend on UFA's and I'm sure they will offer a long term deal for max length allowed and close to max money. If you are gonna overspend in UFA's, a young stud like Shattenkirk is the place to start. The Leafs will throw silly money at him....mark my words.

I do believe that a deal will be done with Shatts. The Blues are kinda known for being cheap, and already having Petriangelo on the blue line, I don't see them investing crazy money for another d-man. If I'm the Blues, I'm doing my due diligence and getting offers from all other 30 teams. I think the Blues can do better than the package mentioned with the Flyers. Honestly, Schenn is a quality top 6 guy, but Hagg might never make the NHL, and our 1st rounder will not be super valuable, probably a mid range pick in the 1st.....others will come stronger than a deal centered around the good Schenn.

Any deal involving Shattenkirk and the Flyers means dealing Giroux or Jake, cause Kevin will get around 10 mill a year, that is a LOT of cap space to clear for a team that will be over the cap by a quarter mill once some injuries clear up....to much to overcome.

If I'm the Blues I want a guy on the top line, a top 3 forward and a top prospect, one that will make the NHL for sure. Depending on who the prospect is, a draft pick may or may not be included. Shatts turns 28 in late Jan this year, so is still in his prime, and will be for most of this next deal, which should drive the asking price into crazy territory.

I just don't think Hexy gets invloved in the bidding for 2 reasons.

He knows he has Streit, Del Zotto and Schultz coming off the books after this season if not before. 

I think he has a kid penciled in at least one of the spots for next year and could use a Dman on an entry level deal too with Ghost looking for a raise.

He knows he may need a vet Dman that needs to be added to help Radko with the kids but wants and fait market type one. I think he waits ot out and see who is available.

Two he knows he needs another scoring threat for the forward ranks.

That is where if any big addition will go IF any.

He sounds like (if you can believe him or is he bluffing he don't like to show his hand and i like that) he is ready to stay patient and just let the whole roster age/ mature another year.

I guess we have another 42 games to see how this unfolds.

1 hour ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

Streit is old , MacDonald stinks, and Schultz really adds nothing to the team. MDZ is probably goNE TOO. While defense might not be their biggest need, he is a good player and a veteran and they can certainly use one of those back there.

Right?  He's one of the league's premiere D-men.  This is the kind of guy you hope Sanheim or Provo can turn into.  

And we're looking at a team in which a 19 year old is the #1 D man and on which MacDonald and Gudas will be the only vets next year.    This deal makes some serious sense.

Again, for me it's all contingent on signing him and what that'll take, and then Hextall's going to have to work OT to get someone to put the puck in the net... but I think you've got to at least listen to this one and weigh your options.  

8 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I do believe that a deal will be done with Shatts. The Blues are kinda known for being cheap, and already having Petriangelo on the blue line, I don't see them investing crazy money for another d-man. If I'm the Blues, I'm doing my due diligence and getting offers from all other 30 teams. I think the Blues can do better than the package mentioned with the Flyers. Honestly, Schenn is a quality top 6 guy, but Hagg might never make the NHL, and our 1st rounder will not be super valuable, probably a mid range pick in the 1st.....others will come stronger than a deal centered around the good Schenn.

Any deal involving Shattenkirk and the Flyers means dealing Giroux or Jake, cause Kevin will get around 10 mill a year, that is a LOT of cap space to clear for a team that will be over the cap by a quarter mill once some injuries clear up....to much to overcome.

If I'm the Blues I want a guy on the top line, a top 3 forward and a top prospect, one that will make the NHL for sure. Depending on who the prospect is, a draft pick may or may not be included. Shatts turns 28 in late Jan this year, so is still in his prime, and will be for most of this next deal, which should drive the asking price into crazy territory.

They literally can't invest the money.  They likely won't have the cap room to pay him much more than he's getting now. 

BUT If Shattenkirk wants 10 million a year, then you walk. That's absurd.  No single player is worth that.  Period.  End of discussion.  Let him go.  I disagree.  I think the Flyers could afford 10 million next year if they wanted to.  Streit and Schenn's salaries alone would cover it.  You're also losing 6-7 million in Schultz, Gordon and MDZ that can extend Ghost and try to fill out the loss of Schenn up front.  Affording 10 million next year isn't the problem. It's just a dumb idea to pay a single player that much money.  If another team wants to give it to him, God bless 'em but there but for the grace of God, go we.  

I don't think the blues are that unrealistic about what they'll get for him.  What you're suggesting ain't gonna happen.  No team would give that up for a guy that they know they could just resign in the off season.  

No team that desperately wants him for a cup run can afford to give up one of their top 3 scorers on that run.  

St. Louis can hold out for something like that, but I seriously doubt they'll get it.  He's gone at the end of the season and the Blues won't even be a factor as they have a lot tied up on contracts for a while.  Someone will give them someone good and a first and maybe a third and that'll be the end of it.  Either that or the Blues will just try to make a run with him themselves (but I doubt they'll make that choice).  

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I just don't think Hexy gets invloved in the bidding for 2 reasons.

He knows he has Streit, Del Zotto and Schultz coming off the books after this season if not before. 

I think he has a kid penciled in at least one of the spots for next year and could use a Dman on an entry level deal too with Ghost looking for a raise.

He knows he may need a vet Dman that needs to be added to help Radko with the kids but wants and fait market type one. I think he waits ot out and see who is available.

Two he knows he needs another scoring threat for the forward ranks.

That is where if any big addition will go IF any.

He sounds like (if you can believe him or is he bluffing he don't like to show his hand and i like that) he is ready to stay patient and just let the whole roster age/ mature another year.

I guess we have another 42 games to see how this unfolds.

The Flyers have 17 million coming off the books at the end of this season.

With that they need to resign Ghost, a goalie and potentially 4 forwards that make under a million each (and don't look to be getting much of a raise).  They could buy out Mac in the off season too.  

There really doesn't look to be much in the free agent market this year from what I've seen.  

Of course they could just sit pat with a lot of cap room for a change and see what they could muster.  But they probably won't be any better next year and maybe the one after that.   Gives you a few more years to burn off Mac's contract in the AHL.

11 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

lol..how about Shats?

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

That's equally as good!

I was always a bit struck by the fact that his name is a tribute to William Shatner.  Half his real name, half his famous character.

He should get traded to a team that can make him Captain just for kicks.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:02 PM, King Knut said:

If he was such a force of nature that you are making him out to be then why was he and Richards traded?

Urban legends I guess you never heard of the if there is smoke there could be a fire?

Archived