(poll) should Draisatl be suspended?

yave1964

Should Leon Draisatl be suspended for spear?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should Draisatl be suspended for spearing Tierney in last nights game?

• No
    • Yes

In last nights game against the Sharks with the Oilers frustrated and out of sorts already down 5-0 Leon Draisatl was ejected for this blatant spear to Chris Tierney's groin:

Simple question, is it suspension worthy?

Lots of pocket pool over the course of this season, absurd really. Marchand got a two game suspension at the tail end of the season, Crosby got nothing for his stick work. What will happen, if anything to Draisatl?

I voted no. I see a penalty. I'm not positive I see a game misconduct. 

And I certainly don't see a suspension. 

It was a crap move, but if we start suspending every pissant infraction, it's no longer hockey. 

Unless they count this as a blow to the head. 

I say no this year, but next year, harsher penalties need to be instituted for spearing the groins moving forward. That move hurts like a mofo for very little effort. Crosby getting away with it because he's Crosby has made it impossible to fairly also suspend Draisaitl. Marchand only got suspended for it because he is a known offender.

But nut spearing seems to be on the rise because of lax rules.. Next year make it a 3 game minimum with a fine to boot and maybe start to deter this on the rise behavior. Lucic was called a piece of trash for it but only got a fine a few years back. Since then, I see it happening much more often and that is specifically BECAUSE they did not smash him with a big one early.

The game misconduct is more than Crosby got.

On that note since Crosby didn't receive a suspension base on "No prior History" and Marchand received a suspension based on his "Prior History" I see the league not suspending Draisaitl.  Receiving a game misconduct is still more than Crosby got and the refs on the ice at least made the right call to dismiss him from the game.  The League has an opportunity here to start moving in the right direction for these cheap shots and fine Draisaitl.

By issuing a fine to Draisaitl will still show the inconsistently of DOPS and their favoritism towards Crosby and the Penguins (due to Colin Cambell's involvement ) but at least it paves a path to move forward with future enforcement of penalties towards spearing.  

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I voted no. I see a penalty. I'm not positive I see a game misconduct. 

And I certainly don't see a suspension. 

You do:

62.1 Spearing - Spearing shall mean stabbing an opponent with the point

of the stick blade, whether contact is made or not.

62.2 Double-minor Penalty - A double-minor penalty will be imposed on a

player who spears an opponent and does not make contact.

62.3 Major Penalty - A major penalty shall be imposed on a player who

spears an opponent (see 62.5).

62.4 Match Penalty - A match penalty shall be imposed on a player who

injures an opponent as a result of a spear.

62.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - Whenever a major penalty is assessed

for spearing, a game misconduct penalty must also be imposed.

ETA: It probably could/should have been called a match penalty, since Tierny was injured and had to leave the ice.

Should he? Yes.

Will he? Given the league's history, probably not.

I don't usually like to post when the comment would only serve to add a voice already heard several times in that thread, but I feel a bit honour bound here. It's a player from the team for which I cheer...

What Leon did was dirty. Simple as that.

---

Also: I posted this earlier, and somewhere along the line it disappeared.

4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I've seen worse spears - that one was a love tap really. But spearing is spearing and cannot be tolerated. 

The love taps to the cup still send that awful vibration that makes me feel it in my gut.

I'm sick of seeing it becoming a regular thing the last few years.

Start harsher punishment and declare it before the season starts.

Draisaitl faces hearing for spear on Tierney

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1283945-draisaitl-faces-hearing-for-spear-on-tierney

While the league needs to step up to the plate here and suspend those that choose to take the cheap shot they are showing yet again the.... Crosby and Penguins favoritism...:dizzysmiley-1:

39 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

The love taps to the cup still send that awful vibration that makes me feel it in my gut.

I'm sick of seeing it becoming a regular thing the last few years.

Start harsher punishment and declare it before the season starts.

Agreed. The fact that the very act of spearing, whether you hit someone or not, is a penalty should tell you all you need to know. Players should never get used to making that motion with their stick.

EDIT: article on TSN on: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-dealing-with-spate-of-spears-to-the-groin-1.728666 

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Spearing a man in the groin should be a suspension. Any man who disagrees should be speared in the groin, then asked to reconsider.

hmm. no one in DOPS thought Crosby should be suspended...

Well I have to say I got this one right.  They couldn't suspend Draisaitl because he had no prior history and that was the reasoning why Marchand was suspended and not Crosby.

Draisaitl has been fined $2,569.44 for spearing Chris Tierney of the San Jose Sharks during Game 4, the NHL announced.

The financial penalty is the maximum allowable under the collective bargaining agreement.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1284264-oilers-draisaitl-gets-maximum-fine-for-spearing-sharks-tierney

Hopefully the league will make adjustments in the future and call this cowardly poke a automatic game misconduct and one game suspension!

The "history" thing is complete bs. We've heard it for a decade with Crosby AND Malkin. They don't have a history cause the NHL refuses to give them one!

I'm never going to want hitting out of hockey. I've always been ok with two guys fighting in the heat of the moment (not staged fights). But spearing a man in the junk is a cowardly wreckless act.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

The "history" thing is complete bs. We've heard it for a decade with Crosby AND Malkin. They don't have a history cause the NHL refuses to give them one!

I'm never going to want hitting out of hockey. I've always been ok with two guys fighting in the heat of the moment (not staged fights). But spearing a man in the junk is a cowardly wreckless act.

THIS.

I love hitting, I love fighting as it relates to a hockey play.

What I hate is the extracurricular BS, the sticks to the groin which always seem to pop up more frequently this time of year, the facewashes by cowards who wont drop the gloves. The  board meetings after a whistle with cheap rabbit punches because the players know that the instigator rule saves them from any real retaliation.

And the double standard that applies, my God. Matt Calvert is a good player, I nice little fourth liner who would fit on any team, can bump up a line in a pinch, kills penalties and plays sound hockey but is no superstar. He was deservedly suspended for his nonsense against Kuhnhackl in the closing minutes of a frustrating loss. Draisatl if not quite a superstar is on the short list looking in took out his frustrations in the closing minutes of a brutal loss and gets a ticky tack fine. Calvert had no suspension history either. I am not defending Calvert, far from it if anything I thought he deserved two games but my point being is lets reverse the two, if Calvert went digging into another mans groin he would have been suspended, if Draisatl had shattered his stick over another player with a cross check he might have been fined. The double standard is obscene. I get that fans want to see the stars on the ice but the double standard has to end.

Off my soap box now.

There was a time in the NHL when there was a code. Spearing, butt-ending, kicking, and kneeing were simply not done - unless you wanted to be an outcast. They were considered attempts to injure. I liked those days. :mad:

Yeah, this is vintage NHL. I'm talking about a guy from my own team, and I'm saying that Draisaitl should have been suspended, but we all knew ahead of time that he shouldn't greatly fear such a harsh imposition on him.

Archived