Hextall's Offseason Moves

JJMason33

3 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

So let me ask.... you are really worried that the Flyers picked Frost at 27 and he was ranked at 31?   Do you even understand how that sounds?   They jumped a few spots to land the player they liked and have scouted quite a bit.   I am not sure I really understand your argument using the draft position.   

The kid has skill...   Schenn was a nice player but he is gone.  You are making it sound like we just lost Wayne Gretzky and the sky is falling.   

He's ranked as the 31st best North American player, not 31st best player in the draft, cupcake.

No, I never made it "sound" like that.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, elmatus said:

We can't predict the future as much as we'd like to.

Yes....many here pray for the day to be able to say "see i told ya..." then when they wrong they don't show or still refuse to accept reality @fanaticV3.0

....i guess this world takes all types....

42 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Ah, cmon folks. It's about time we let this rest. We can't predict the future as much as we'd like to. Let's wait and see how things shake down, shall we?

agree 100%... this can be argued down the road.   

Morgan Frost

Hockey News 40th overall

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/2017-nhl-draft-ranking-the-top-120-prospects

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=317025

McKeens had him ranked 41

ISS had him ranked 72

TSN/Mackenzie had him ranked 38

Hockey Prospects.com had him ranked 61

So depending on whom you believe he was picked where he should have been, or He was a slight reach...It's not like Hextall traded up for a total stiff/project.  Plus if he knew other GMs who picked prior to the Flyer's next pick (55)? were interested, then you spend the assets and get your guy.

I liked that Frost was impressive at the development camp...he can flat out fly, plus he gets to top speed in a damn hurry. I don't think this was a bad move or pick at all.

4 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Morgan Frost

Hockey News 40th overall

ISS had him ranked 72

If the rankings were accurate, or even somewhat accurate, they wouldn't be all over the place like this:

14 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Morgan Frost

Hockey News 40th overall

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/2017-nhl-draft-ranking-the-top-120-prospects

ISS had him ranked 72

So depending on whom you believe he was picked where he should have been, or He was a slight reach...It's not like Hextall traded up for a total stiff/project.  Plus if he knew other GMs who picked prior to the Flyer's next pick (55)? were interested, then you spend the assets and get your guy.

I liked that Frost was impressive at the development camp...he can flat out fly, plus he gets to top speed in a damn hurry. I don't think this was a bad move or pick at all.

In hockey age, Frost also has a late birthday. He's weeks away from going in the 2018 draft. With that in mind, let's see how he develops his game and whether he puts on a bit more size by next year...Hextall may well have got a better player than we think. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

In hockey age, Frost also has a late birthday. He's weeks away from going in the 2018 draft.

This. 

To sum up:

-he's almost a year younger than many in his draft class (explains his slight build too)

-he kicked ass at the combine, so pound for pound he's already pretty strong

-he can skate

-he has "elite" hockey IQ

-he's "a tenacious forechecker...very hard worker" (Red Line)

-"any player that goes on his line automatically becomes 50% better" (Red Line)

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Hextall may well have got a better player than we think. 

This is where i lean after watching everything i can on him.

I love the pick.

And by all means if anyone wants to lean the other negative way by all means please do.

I like it and i think he has only scratched the surface of his potential.

19 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I love the pick.

And by all means if anyone wants to lean the other negative way by all means please do.

I suspect he's eventually Couturier's replacement if all works out well.

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I suspect he's eventually Couturier's replacement if all works out well.

At this point to far away to say who but looking at the time line i would say that is a good guess as any...Coots last year is 2021-22 a lot can change between now and then he'll be turning 29 and hitting his prime...

I think it is time to close this thread.... since he was drafted at 27 and NHL had him at 31 it is clear that Hextall reached with this pick and he will never amount to anything other than an ECHL player. On top of that B Schenn will most likely post a 50 goal yr and win the Cup in St Louis while also being named the MVP.    

20 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Morgan Frost

Hockey News 40th overall

ISS had him ranked 72

I was really pleased by the reports coming out of Dev Camp on this kid. 

I think it's a little absurd to think that Hextall and all the scouts have absolutely no idea what they're doing when they take a kid like this.  As if they don't know where he's ranked and just pulled a name out of a hat.  

The Flyers don't have a particularly bad history drafting players.  They've gotten solid players through the draft over the years.  They just tended to force them into the lineup too soon and then give up on them too soon after that if they weren't named Gagne or Giroux.  

Then there was a stretch where they just didn't have that many picks due to Holmgren trading them all away.  I'm fine with the organization's track record in the draft.  I'm thrilled that they actually seem to be investing time into developing that talent now. 

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I love the pick.

I heard he still has braces on his teeth.  

I think it's safe to say we shouldn't sell him short just yet. 

ahhhh so glad Holmgren decided to draft the great Darek Mathers instead of Ondrej Palat

sure, Hindsight is 20/20, but I hated Holmgren draft philosophy beyond the 1st round

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

ahhhh so glad Holmgren decided to draft the great Darek Mathers instead of Ondrej Palat

sure, Hindsight is 20/20, but I hated Holmgren draft philosophy beyond the 1st round

Can never have enough meat heads!!!!!!!!

I can't believe people are still upset about the Schenn trade and the Frost pick. Frost just turned 18 back in May. He'll still have another two seasons of OHL eligibility to round out his game and more importantly, grow into his frame. He's due for one more growth spurt, so while he might only be 5'11, 170 pounds right now, I'm willing to bet that when he graduates to the Flyers, he's going to be a 6'1, 190 pound center with speed and skill. 

I don't want to disregard Schenn because I had real high hopes for him when the Flyers acquired him. My problem with Schenn has always been how he was handled by the Flyers. IF someone in management (namely Holmgren) would have sat him down and said that the Flyers saw him as a winger and if they would have let him develop in Adirondack at the time with Terry Murray, Schenn might not have been moved. The Flyers bungled his development. The constant position switching and line juggling did him no good. He needed a year in the AHL to get used to playing the wing, but Holmgren and Laviolette faltered big time there.

I'm excited by what Frost brings to the table. We're talking about a Joe Pavelski/David Krejci type player here. This was a real good pick and let's be honest about scouting and players draft rankings - it's a crapshoot and not an exact science. This is going to be a kid who's going to play A LOT of hockey in the next couple of years and he's going to be watched closely. 

@AJgoal

Interesting graph.  Great find ..... So if I am reading this graph correctly, the Flyers did a pretty decent job of blocking shots from the outside, but did a pretty terrible job of blocking in around the faceoff circles and closer to the net as compared to the league average.  If I am wrong, please somebody let me know ..... thanks

Archived