2017 Stanley Cup Finals: Pittsburgh vs Nashville

hf101

2017 Stanley Cup Finals: Pittsburgh Penguins vs Nashville Predators  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which team wins Lords Stanley Cup?

• Penguins sweep 4-0
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7
    • Nashville sweep 4-0
    • Nashville in 5
    • Nashville in 6
    • Nashville in 7

All Stanley Cup Discussion Goes Here

Image result for pittsburgh penguins vs nashville predators

The Stanley Cup Final schedule:

Game 1, Monday, May 29: Predators at Penguins (8 p.m. ET; NBC, CBC, SN, TVA Sports)

Game 2, Wednesday, May 31: Predators at Penguins (8 p.m. ET; NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVA Sports)

Game 3, Saturday, June 3: Penguins at Predators (8 p.m. ET; NBCSN, CBC, SN, TVA Sports)

Game 4, Monday, June 5: Penguins at Predators (8 p.m. ET; NBC, CBC, SN, TVA Sports)

Game 5, Thursday, June 8: Predators at Penguins (8 p.m. ET; NBC, CBC, SN, TVA Sports)

Game 6, Sunday, June 11: Penguins at Predators (8 p.m. ET; NBC, CBC, SN, TVA Sports)

Game 7, Wednesday, June 14: Predators at Penguins (8 p.m. ET; NBC, CBC, SN, TVA Sports)

• hf101 pinned this topic
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took Nashville in six, but could see it going to seven (and the Pens winning).  It should be a pretty evenly matched -- and fun -- series.

Nashville will give the Pens problems in different ways than the Sens did.  They are aggressive up front.  Their defense is dominant and maybe the best in the league.   Rinne has been excellent.  Their depth is impressive.  They are going to be tough match-up offensively and defensively for the Pens.  

Big disadvantage for the Predators is at center.  Curious to see how they handle Crosby and Malkin.  However, they fared well against the Ducks after Johansen's injury and the Ducks are no slouches at center.  I assume Subban/Ekholm draw Crosby and Jossi/Ellis draw Malkin.

The Pens have not been that impressive to me this post-season but have had their dominating moments.  That said, they have been pretty resilient in light of all the injuries and they find ways to win.  They have a champion's mentality, which often beats the match-ups on paper.

As for goaltenders, Rinne has been the best goalie throughout the playoffs and will be the Conn Smythe winner should the Preds win (or maybe even if they lose).  Matt Murray has put up some great stats as well, though he has faced inferior competition (sorry Sens fans).  Most would give the edge to Rinne, but Murray is not far behind.  Both will be depended upon to bail their teams out at times.

I think Laviolette and Sullivan are cut from the same cloth.  Will be curious how each handles the other's aggressive tactics.

A lot has been made of the Preds being the 16th seed or whatever, but coming into the season they were projected to be a top team.  It's not like this is a Cinderella story, imo.  They seemed to have had a disappointing regular season but found their stride in the POs.  So, to me, the seeding thing doesn't matter.  I was more impressed by Ottawa coming as far as they did than the Preds.

In all, should be a great series.

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I'll do one better:

The team with the animal name will win....

I decided to go with Pittsburgh because their fans have suffered long enough. They haven't held a Cup parade for almost a year now. :)

1 hour ago, B21 said:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Predators in 4. 

What's with all the 2-day breaks between games? 

It's because Doc Emrick needs more recovery time. Fawning over 87 and the Pens takes a lot out of him. He ain't as young as he used to be....:bigteeth:

3 hours ago, vis said:

A lot has been made of the Preds being the 16th seed or whatever, but coming into the season they were projected to be a top team.  It's not like this is a Cinderella story, imo.  They seemed to have had a disappointing regular season but found their stride in the POs.  So, to me, the seeding thing doesn't matter.  I was more impressed by Ottawa coming as far as they did than the Preds.

In all, should be a great series.

Seeding?, Psha, doesn't matter at this point, people that say that have not watched hockey enough to understand the statement they are making.  Look at the Penguins last year, who were garbage through December. Its all about the run up, and having the team come together at the right time.   The Preds have done that this year, as you mention, and that is the important factor.  The way they are playing no one should be surprised if they lift the cup. 

4 hours ago, B21 said:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Predators in 4. 

What's with all the 2-day breaks between games? 

I think they do that in the Stanley Cup Final because of the possible travel between east coast and west coast, even though its not bad this year because of Pitt/Nashville.  They give the extra days off between travel days. 

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

Seeding?, Psha, doesn't matter at this point, people that say that have not watched hockey enough to understand the statement they are making.

I think there is some sentiment out there that the Preds are an upstart team that clawed its way to the finals against the odds (first 16th seed to reach the finals).  In fact, I think that characterization was more appropriate of the Sens than the Preds.  No one should be all that shocked that the Preds got here, imo.

If the Penguins should happen to win, will Emrick, Edzo and Regis get to have their names on the cup since they are the Pens official broadcast team? 

Go Lavy, Go Preds!!!!!

#Rinne4ConnSmythe

I thought C Kunitz made an interesting point last night in his on ice interview. He said Nashville has 4 Karlsson's and they will be tough to handle.  So he has thought about the match up a little. 

I am looking forward to this series, I think it should really be entertaining. If Fisher comes back and is 85% I like Nashville's chances.If not I don't know how they can match up with Pgh's strength down the middle. 

I don't see the Pens having the big skating advantage they've had in every series so far. I think the teams look to be pretty even when it comes to speed. I reckon we'll see when they play, but I thought the Preds looked mighty fast these whole playoffs. I think the Pens pursuit and pressure unnerve a lot of teams, I don't know if I think that's going to phase the Preds, they play the same way... I think this should be very entertaining. Can the top 4 D of Nashville neutralize the top 2 lines for Pgh...whose depth is better ?  Good match-up , I have no idea who will win.

16 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think the Pens pursuit and pressure unnerve a lot of teams, I don't know if I think that's going to phase the Preds, 

Agree, the Pred's defense is so good at moving the puck.  By the time the Pens get to the Pred's d-men, they may have already moved the puck beyond them to the forwards.  Or, do you hang back a little and try to disrupt the puck movement further up the ice (borrowing a page from the Sens playbook).  On the other side, I don't know if the Pens' defense are going to be able to handle the pressure from the Preds.  I imagine the Preds will attack them hard.  This going to be an exciting final.

This is a tough call. The Pens game is predicated on down low cycling, imposing their will type of thing. The Preds defence is proficient at stopping that or at least holding it to a minimum. Getzlaf and Kesler are probably the best one-two punch in the league when it comes to meat and potatoes hockey....ie stop me if you can. The difference being the Pens have more speed and skill to go with the grinding cycle game. 

My gut tells me Pens in 5. I hope and pray I'm wrong. This is where playoff experience helps out large. Just knowing exactly what it takes to win, having been there and done that, it's a huge advantage. Having two goalies that have cup wins on their resume is a luxury that no team usually has also.

On a personal note, having Crosby lift the Cup, that is a result that makes me queasy. Don't know how much more of this I can take. It's sickening....horrific even. I fear it's inevitable.

edit...on a bright note, another Spitfire (Ellis/Watson....Kuhnhackl) is guaranteed to have his name engraved.

I went with the Preds on 6 because according to Chris Kunitz, "they have four Karlsson's". It's also amazing to think that Rinne is having a better post season than Anderson ( and he damn near took the Sens to the finals by himself ).

Lavy will be demanding plenty of Jam and I think the Preds will be playing with house money because most will see them as the dog against the defending champs. 

**I'm also going to spend my long weekend driving around Rochester looking for a certain Lumina. If I find it and can get the owner to predict the Penguins, Smashville will be golden!

32 minutes ago, Samifan said:

**I'm also going to spend my long weekend driving around Rochester looking for a certain Lumina. If I find it and can get the owner to predict the Penguins, Smashville will be golden!

Check the Applebee's.

Cheers @hf101, @pilldoc, and whoever else has ever 

gotten these playoff threads going. 

Penguin Injury Report: 

Two right-wingers (Hornqvist and Kuhnhackl) are banged up. 

In Hornqvist they have someone who's averaged scoring better 

than a point per every two games in both regular season and 

the playoffs. Getting him back and on that same pace would be 

huge for a Pens squad that's already cranking out the points. 

On defense they're not going to get Letang back until after next season 

starts. Thankfully his neck surgery was successfull but such offensive production 

(34 points in 41 games) has been missed and makes this Pens' run a little more 

impressive given Letang's not in the mix. 

Other than that and other than being exhausted from an epic series and game 7 with Ottawa, 

Pittsburgh's in good shape, better shape than Nashville. 

Nashville Injury Report: 

Johansen's the most glaring miss. Great in the regular season. Even better in the playoffs. 

Nashville not having him would be like Pittsburgh not having Crosby or Malkin. I'm not

necessarily saying that Johansen's equal to or better than either bloke, but he's certainly

no less essential to his team than they are to theirs. 

Fisher's injured and may be back for game 1 but he didn't score any points in the playoffs 

before he began missing games. He's good on the faceoff though and maybe he could 

explode for points on his return given he's due. 

Fiala's been long-gone until after next season starts. 

Craig Smith could be back for game 1 and could be someone, should be someone, who

helps Fisher and Forsberg pick up scoring slack in Johansen's absence. 

Why I Like Pitt's Chances: 

Their domination at the center position. The Pens are 40 points more productive than Nashville 

this playoffs. Although Nashville was competitive with Anaheim before the latter began 

sustaining more injuries but stayed dangerous, Pittsburgh's not as hurt as Anaheim was. 

This team has two good goalies who have both already been here and won here.  

Why Smashville Could Win: 

Defense does indeed win championships often and the Preds' defensive corps are in good shape 

physically and strategically. The city's psychotic about their team. And they have Rinne! I've seen 

most Pred games this playoffs and he / Nashville have surrendered more than three goals just once. 

In fact my two biggest contentions for Nasvhille's chances are because they have Pekka Rinne

and because I think Pittsburgh will win. The latter bodes well for the Predators. :)

As far as Music City being the sixteenth seed, that's kind of impressive, but it's not as big a deal to 

me here in this era of greater parity and given how many teams were in playoff contention very late 

into the season. 

5 hours ago, Samifan said:

I went with the Preds on 6 because according to Chris Kunitz, "they have four Karlsson's". It's also amazing to think that Rinne is having a better post season than Anderson ( and he damn near took the Sens to the finals by himself ).

Lavy will be demanding plenty of Jam and I think the Preds will be playing with house money because most will see them as the dog against the defending champs. 

I'd look for it at the Dinosaur Barbecue.  Even if you don't find it, you can still get some good food.  Speaking of which, I think I have their recipe for mac salad, that would be a good treat for the holiday weekend. 

27 minutes ago, nossagog said:

I'd look for it at the Dinosaur Barbecue.  Even if you don't find it, you can still get some good food.  Speaking of which, I think I have their recipe for mac salad, that would be a good treat for the holiday weekend. 

Rochester is actually holding ROC City Rib Fest this weekend. BBQ from all over the country Friday thru Memorial Day. Samifan clan heading there tomorrow?

On 5/26/2017 at 3:34 PM, vis said:

Agree, the Pred's defense is so good at moving the puck.  By the time the Pens get to the Pred's d-men, they may have already moved the puck beyond them to the forwards.  Or, do you hang back a little and try to disrupt the puck movement further up the ice (borrowing a page from the Sens playbook).  On the other side, I don't know if the Pens' defense are going to be able to handle the pressure from the Preds.  I imagine the Preds will attack them hard.  This going to be an exciting final.

Maybe use some type of a trap system? That might affect the way the Pens offensively! 

5 hours ago, Samifan said:

Rochester is actually holding ROC City Rib Fest this weekend. BBQ from all over the country Friday thru Memorial Day. Samifan clan heading there tomorrow?

yum!!!!  Road trip!!!!

Archived