B. Schenn traded to Blues for J. Lehtera and a Conditional 1st in 2018

pilldoc

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!

This tae look good for the Flyers now that Schenn has done his playoff crunch disappearing act!!!!!!

Sitting outside the playoffs this morning!!!!!! 15th overall....come Blues you can fall further than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hehe:

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!

This tae look good for the Flyers now that Schenn has done his playoff crunch disappearing act!!!!!!

Sitting outside the playoffs this morning!!!!!! 15th overall....come Blues you can fall further than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hehe:

Plus, you know Lehtera is gonna light it up in the playoffs a la John Druce. 

1 minute ago, elmatus said:

Conn Smythe 2017-18 Season: Jori Lehtera

Lol

Seriously though, Lehtera has been one of our best performers in the last 2 months. Imagine what he could do if he could skate?

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been wondering if we don't want the Blues to get a high enough pick that we have to wait til next year to cash in on it.  On the one hand, if they are outside the top 10, but still like 11, we get a pretty damn good first round pick (our 2nd).

On the other hand... with all the talent in the system, it might not be terrible if Hextall has to wait a year to draft.  Give some guys more time to pan out or fan out before he knows what he needs to be looking for.

Either way, I think it's a win.  

56 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Lol

Seriously though, Lehtera has been one of our best performers in the last 2 months. Imagine what he could do if he could skate?

This cracked me the hell up.  LOL

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I've been wondering if we don't want the Blues to get a high enough pick that we have to wait til next year to cash in on it.  On the one hand, if they are outside the top 10, but still like 11, we get a pretty damn good first round pick (our 2nd).

On the other hand... with all the talent in the system, it might not be terrible if Hextall has to wait a year to draft.  Give some guys more time to pan out or fan out before he knows what he needs to be looking for.

Either way, I think it's a win.  

I say go ahead and use it this year, but I understand and appreciate the thinking.

1 minute ago, ruxpin said:

I say go ahead and use it this year, but I understand and appreciate the thinking.

... I guess since there's nothing the Flyers or we can do about it, at least maybe there's a bright side to either?

14 minutes ago, King Knut said:

... I guess since there's nothing the Flyers or we can do about it, at least maybe there's a bright side to either?

Yeah, although now your post made me go look.   Have you looked at the mock drafts or prospect rankings at all?   I'm focused primarily on 13-18 since that's where it's more likely the Blues will fall. 

I can't say anyone stands out that excites me, but there are far better prospect-watchers on this board than me.   The players in that range seem like projects or more pass-first type forwards.   The pass-first playmaker is great and all, but I'm wondering if that's just more of the same.  So maybe we're hoping for one of two things:  

1) St. Louis gets some strange lottery bounce that pushes us to next year.    But if they get a really nutty bounce and get first or something, then maybe next year's pick isn't even as good as this year's.

2) We trade back into late 1st round and maybe get one of those 13-18 players anyway and come out with an extra 2nd or 3rd.

@flyercanuck  @jammer2

If the Blues' pick falls into the 13-18 range, who are you hoping for?     I'm thinking get PBA (always), but looking at it myself and never having any eyeball on them, nothing is jumping.

What are your thoughts on Akil Thomas?   He may have fallen back into late first round and is on the young side for the draft class.   First, what are your thoughts on him, and is it possible he's still around if we trade back to mid-20s?

20 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

I haven't followed the Blues at all this year. I see Schenn has a decent point total. Is he playing top three minutes and if so, do they have him at center or wing?

He's been almost exclusively at center.  He has the highest ATOI among forwards (but behind 4 defenders).   

He's had a decent statistical year at 1C and will look okay on the back of a hockey card.

But he's done his typical hot period thing that ends up hiding his not-so-hot period thing.

First 41 games:    17 goals,  24 assists.    41 points.   1.00 PPG.     Obviously that's terrific and probably over-performing and not a fair benchmark.

Last 38 games:   9 G,  15 A,  24 PTS.   0.63 PPG     Not horrible, but not elite 1C if extrapolated to 81 games.  (a 51 pt. campaign and only 19 goals).

In his defense, first Schwartz and recently Tarasenko have been injured so he's been without his top line wingers, but it's arguably an example of how he does not make players around him better.  Others have to carry him.    That's not a 1C, IMHO.  He's still only 26.  What we've seen is probably what you can expect, but it's possible he could still grow into the role out there.  My money is he's a 60-70 point per year guy.   It's honestly no horrible, but not top line to me.

My biggest criticism is that he's shrunk when that team needed him most.   It's not all on him and some could be the team affecting him, but he's had either Schwartz or Tarasenko all year long.  I think he should do better.

9 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

He's been almost exclusively at center.  He has the highest ATOI among forwards (but behind 4 defenders).   

He's had a decent statistical year at 1C and will look okay on the back of a hockey card.

But he's done his typical hot period thing that ends up hiding his not-so-hot period thing.

First 41 games:    17 goals,  24 assists.    41 points.   1.00 PPG.     Obviously that's terrific and probably over-performing and not a fair benchmark.

Last 38 games:   9 G,  15 A,  24 PTS.   0.63 PPG     Not horrible, but not elite 1C if extrapolated to 81 games.  (a 51 pt. campaign and only 19 goals).

In his defense, first Schwartz and recently Tarasenko have been injured so he's been without his top line wingers, but it's arguably an example of how he does not make players around him better.  Others have to carry him.    That's not a 1C, IMHO.  He's still only 26.  What we've seen is probably what you can expect, but it's possible he could still grow into the role out there.  My money is he's a 60-70 point per year guy.   It's honestly no horrible, but not top line to me.

My biggest criticism is that he's shrunk when that team needed him most.   It's not all on him and some could be the team affecting him, but he's had either Schwartz or Tarasenko all year long.  I think he should do better.

Thanks Rux!

And here there were people that wanted Couturier gone over Schenn (sadly, I think I was one of those people)

1 hour ago, Bertmega said:

And here there were people that wanted Couturier gone over Schenn (sadly, I think I was one of those people)

In fairness to you and others, some felt his value would never be higher  :haha:

2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

(a 51 pt. campaign and only 19 goals).

I think by himself, Schenn is a 20/50 guy. Good mid-range player. I would have taken two 1s for him, but that wasn't the whole deal. The deal was a few seasons of Lehterrible.

My money is he's a 60-70 point per year guy.   It's honestly no horrible, but not top line to me.

Put him with Tarasenko and maybe Schwartz for the season and he'll probably get high side of 70. If his wingers are tearing it up, they'll carry him along a bit. As you said, he's not a "makes others better" player, but he is a solid hockey player who is back at the natural position he was never going to be allowed to play in Philadelphia. A 1C can be "that guy" if he just plays a solid, reliable game with two more talented wingers.

I don't "miss" Schenn at all and think that the return - even with Lehterrible - was more than worth it.

Jeff Crater, the gift that keeps on giving.

:cheers:

17 hours ago, ruxpin said:

@flyercanuck  @jammer2

If the Blues' pick falls into the 13-18 range, who are you hoping for?     I'm thinking get PBA (always), but looking at it myself and never having any eyeball on them, nothing is jumping.

What are your thoughts on Akil Thomas?   He may have fallen back into late first round and is on the young side for the draft class.   First, what are your thoughts on him, and is it possible he's still around if we trade back to mid-20s?

Obviously a lot will depend on who takes who...

Thomas has a lot of skill...really good skater...more of a playmaker than scorer but his shot is good...on the small size (I don't even know if that matters at all anymore) has some similarities to Frost in his draft year. I'd be fine with him. He may be available with our 2nd 1st. 

I was high Serron Noel earlier in the year, but the more I've seen him the less I like him. Stay clear of Merkley IMO. Great skater...zero hockey sense.

It's hard to get a grasp of who's going where. I see some people ranking Tkachuk as high as 2nd overall. I'd take him more in the 10-15 range. Hayton looks like a "safe' pick...not really a flashy guy (though he has good hands) but likely ends up a good middle 6 type. Hughes if he falls is another Ghost-like Dman. Tychonick is an interesting guy in the same mold...in the BCHL. With a name like Johnny Tychonick he's gotta be good, right? Kravtsov or whatever you spell it I hear mostly good about..but has the Russian factor. Same with Denisenko but I like his game and he caould fall. I've kind of got a soft spot for Riley Sutter from following Harts career...but that might be a reach. Same with Sandin in the Soo from watching Frost (and Hayton for that matter). 

But again, it's hard to say when we don't know where the pick is, and who's still on the board at that time.

Yeah, although now your post made me go look.   Have you looked at the mock drafts or prospect rankings at all?   I'm focused primarily on 13-18 since that's where it's more likely the Blues will fall. 

I can't say anyone stands out that excites me, but there are far better prospect-watchers on this board than me.   The players in that range seem like projects or more pass-first type forwards.   The pass-first playmaker is great and all, but I'm wondering if that's just more of the same.  So maybe we're hoping for one of two things:  

1) St. Louis gets some strange lottery bounce that pushes us to next year.    But if they get a really nutty bounce and get first or something, then maybe next year's pick isn't even as good as this year's.

2) We trade back into late 1st round and maybe get one of those 13-18 players anyway and come out with an extra 2nd or 3rd.

I mean, whatever happens, I kinda trust Hextall and the scouts to come up with something good.  

Frost and Strohme were not expected to be that good or projects at the best and they’re two of the best players in juniors now.  (Not that they’re not both still projects). 

Which isn’t to say I think they’ll find those gems in the rough, but that I think they’ll make the best moves they can with what they’re given.  

28 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I mean, whatever happens, I kinda trust Hextall and the scouts to come up with something good.  

Completely agree.  I have no reason to question that.   Was basically just for "I'm bored, so let's pretend we know what we're doing" sake.

48 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Frost and Strohme were not expected to be that good or projects at the best and they’re two of the best players in juniors now.  (Not that they’re not both still projects). 

I disagree about Frost, the knock on him was he was young and "not fully developed physically".

According to reports from the STH meeting, Hextall says he still looks like a boy even though he is killing it for the Soo.

Eventually he will grow into his man body, but right now against his peers, he's excelling so ...

Strome, was/is a project but he seems to be playing very well also.

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Sadly, this motto describes much of the 20th and 21st centuries!

And just about everyone in every political, religion, or sports thread on Facebook.

6 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

And just about everyone in every political, religion, or sports thread on Facebook.

Yeah. I'm not on Facebook, but I'm on the Twitter and it's just a gong show. 

Archived