Starting Goalie

jkgrossman

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Bernier I think will get a deal to sink or swim ....

I can't see Hexy trading for a goalie ..

I hope that he doesn't.  The Flyers can't afford to lose any prospects, picks, or young guys right now.

8 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Bernier I think will get a deal to sink or swim ....

I can't see Hexy trading for a goalie ..

Agreed can't see a trade. Stick to the plan and wait for Sandstrom/Hart. Which means a short term deal for whoever will take it. It will be interesting to see who it is.

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

honestly, with the goalie market shrinking I think Mason comes back for a short term deal or they sign Bernier.   

It almost feels like a game of chicken at this point. I can imagine the PHI brass offering a short term, moderate level contract, and I can see Mason and his agent pushing for something that is either longer or with more dollars. The question is which of the two will concede, or whether they can find some sort of middle ground.

Mason is clearly not attracting much attention, and there are other goalies available who would fill his shoes just as well (Bernier, Halak, whatever). He's not negotiating from a position of strength at this time. If those other two -- and possibly others I'm not mentioning -- do get signed, then I imagine the tables start to turn a bit.

It's also pretty obvious Hex doesn't trust Neuvirth with a full workload. I don't blame him at all. Stolarz may play a part, but whether he can be a no.1 for the team is questionable at best. If Hex felt he could, none of this would be an issue right now. He's clearly not confident in Stolarz either, and so he's left to look around. Unfortunately, the longer the search lasts, the less maneuverability Hex will have in filling the role.

I think this is really the only question mark left for next year's roster. I don't see any more skaters getting moved or obtained unless it's needed to land a goalie or something (and I'm not really sure what would be an option there either). Line ups are still up in the air of course, but I think we've pretty much got a handle on the rest of the active roster.

14 minutes ago, elmatus said:

It almost feels like a game of chicken at this point. I can imagine the PHI brass offering a short term, moderate level contract, and I can see Mason and his agent pushing for something that is either longer or with more dollars. The question is which of the two will concede, or whether they can find some sort of middle ground.

Mason is clearly not attracting much attention, and there are other goalies available who would fill his shoes just as well (Bernier, Halak, whatever). He's not negotiating from a position of strength at this time. If those other two -- and possibly others I'm not mentioning -- do get signed, then I imagine the tables start to turn a bit.

It's also pretty obvious Hex doesn't trust Neuvirth with a full workload. I don't blame him at all. Stolarz may play a part, but whether he can be a no.1 for the team is questionable at best. If Hex felt he could, none of this would be an issue right now. He's clearly not confident in Stolarz either, and so he's left to look around. Unfortunately, the longer the search lasts, the less maneuverability Hex will have in filling the role.

I think this is really the only question mark left for next year's roster. I don't see any more skaters getting moved or obtained unless it's needed to land a goalie or something (and I'm not really sure what would be an option there either). Line ups are still up in the air of course, but I think we've pretty much got a handle on the rest of the active roster.

Could not agree more...

I do believe Hextall is in a position of strength as well and if Mason does not go along with a short-term contract then Hextall should just move on.   Right now it is really tough to gauge and I am not sure if the Flyers are really all that interested in Mason coming back.  I get why Mason may have been peeved at the end of the year and I do fault Hakstol for the way he handled Mason at the WC.   Bet then again I don't understand why Mason needs a guarantee that he will be the "starter" wherever he goes.   Play the game dude and let your play win the job.   My biggest knock on Mason is not his talent - it is b/t his ears.   He just seems to need to be coddled and maybe that is why the Flyers are willing to let him move along.  

As for next year's roster I think the only thing that needs to be addressed is the goalie situation.   Stolarz might not even begin the year b/c of his knee.   I think people are overlooking his injury - it is not an easy injury to come back from if you are a goalie.   Going into the season with Neuvy and Stolarz is honestly setting yourself up for failure.   If we take Hextall's words that they "are not rebuilding" you need to have a capable tandem to give the team a chance to win.   I have seen Stolarz a bunch in the AHL and I am not sold on him as a NHL #1.   Maybe a decent backup but that is when he is healthy.  

It will be interesting to see what Hextall does.... If it turns out to be Mason I am fine with that b/c I really don't see any better options out there.  It is a matter of what camp wins the game of chicken in the end.

20 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

It doesn't matter who we bring in to be the #1 as long as Stolarz has a chance the be the back up. 

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. Put me firmly in the not-sold-on-Stoalrz camp, but we have to see what we have there in a large enough sample. In his 7 games he's 2.07 .928, so he's earned a chance. He is 6'6" after all. Maybe he's the one?! 

On 6/27/2017 at 1:20 PM, King Knut said:

There are options.  I'm a little ticked at Peter Budaj for signing an DNR deal with Tampa, but whatever.  It's his career.

I'm very low on Bernier.  To be honest, a tandem of Nilsson and Neuvirth is appealing to me.  Nilsson was on a god awful team but put up great numbers in limited exposure.  

There's no real use in signing someone who wants to be a #1 unless Hextall manages to somehow unload Neuvirth.

What I desperately wanted was for Vegas to take Neuvirth (not an impossibility I guess, but a bit of wishful thinking at this point) and have Hextall sign a bit more of a work horse to get Stolarz real live backup minutes to make him a viable commodity going forward (either to shepherd and then back up whichever of Hart or Sandstrom makes the jump first or get traded at some point).  

Here's who's left.  There are still more decent (though clearly none are great) FA's then there are open #1 spots. 

Ryan Miller                                        
Jonathan Bernier                                        
Steve Mason                                        
Ondrej Pavelec                                        
Brian Elliott                                        
Robin Lehner                                        
Chad Johnson                                        
Darcy Kuemper                                        
Anders Nilsson

I cannot believe my eyes.  Miller is so much the best on this list its not even close.  I have no idea why the Sabres are not begging him to return.  He likely told him he dose not want to live here behind closed doors.  If anyone could grab Miller they would be freakin nuts not to

15 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I cannot believe my eyes.  Miller is so much the best on this list its not even close.  I have no idea why the Sabres are not begging him to return.  He likely told him he dose not want to live here behind closed doors.  If anyone could grab Miller they would be freakin nuts not to

He's an option.  depends on how much $$ he's going to command and how long a deal he wants.  with the length and $$ Bishop got, I can't imagine Miller is taking a cut or thinking 3 years and I'm out.  

9 minutes ago, King Knut said:

He's an option.  depends on how much $$ he's going to command and how long a deal he wants.  with the length and $$ Bishop got, I can't imagine Miller is taking a cut or thinking 3 years and I'm out.  

Bishop (30) is six years younger than Miller. Miller at 36 probably should be thinking "3 years and I'm out"

Bishop is also signed for less than $5M per - while Miller made $6M last year (on, as it happens, a 3 year deal).

I don't see the comparison between Miller and Bishop.

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

Bishop (30) is six years younger than Miller. Miller at 36 probably should be thinking "3 years and I'm out"

Bishop is also signed for less than $5M per - while Miller made $6M last year (on, as it happens, a 3 year deal).

I don't see the comparison between Miller and Bishop.

Spitballing reasons why Buffalo hasn't resigned MIller.  That's all. 

Mason is a goner and Miller Will stay on the west coast due to his actress wife and child (which is fair as she wants to work). I think it makes too Mick sense to bring in either Elliott or Bernier.

As for Stolarz, he should be working out by now. He didn't tear his ACL. Out wad his MCL, which has a recovery time of 6 weeks. Its one if the easier heals as it's not a stabilizing ligament like ACL is. 

I also hope the big kid gets a shot in training camp. I know some say he's not ready, but you never know unless he plays. Mauve he surprises everyone and wings the job outright at training camp, similar to Bobrovsky when he first arrived in North America

3 hours ago, King Knut said:

Miller apparently wants to stay out west because of his D-List-celebrity-wife-actor-whatever

36 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Miller apparently wants to stay out west because of his D-List-celebrity-wife-actor-whatever

That and Miller needs a cross country buffer between him and this guy that has been stalking him for years. Even St.Louis wasn't far enough away from WNY so Miller had to **** the bed while there so the Blues wouldn't want him back.

28 minutes ago, Samifan said:

That and Miller needs a cross country buffer between him and this guy that has been stalking him for years. Even St.Louis wasn't far enough away from WNY so Miller had to **** the bed while there so the Blues wouldn't want him back.

Is there a joke I'm missing or did he seriously have a stalker? :63:

Warning:  This may be the goofiest thing you've ever read on this board that didn't originate in Western New York.

But I'm also serious.   I would do this if I were the Flyers, but do you think the Canadiens might be willing?

Carey Price for Claude Giroux.   

Price has been their everything, but he is in the last year of his contract.   He has a $6.5M cap hit and makes $7M this year.  He's only 29, so you'd think he's going to want to extend through at least 33 or 34.   I think that may be too long for the window the Flyers are probably thinking for their goalie prospects, but ...

On the Habs side of things, they'd get their first line center.   I'm thinking there has to be other pieces in there, especially since Giroux makes about $1.8M/yr. more than Price.

But as a foundation, what do you think from the Habs side?   And would you do it from the Flyers?

14 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Warning:  This may be the goofiest thing you've ever read on this board that didn't originate in Western New York.

But I'm also serious.   I would do this if I were the Flyers, but do you think the Canadiens might be willing?

Carey Price for Claude Giroux.   

Price has been their everything, but he is in the last year of his contract.   He has a $6.5M cap hit and makes $7M this year.  He's only 29, so you'd think he's going to want to extend through at least 33 or 34.   I think that may be too long for the window the Flyers are probably thinking for their goalie prospects, but ...

On the Habs side of things, they'd get their first line center.   I'm thinking there has to be other pieces in there, especially since Giroux makes about $1.8M/yr. more than Price.

But as a foundation, what do you think from the Habs side?   And would you do it from the Flyers?

Put the halibut down and back away from the Lumina!  

6 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Put the halibut down and back away from the Lumina!  

LOL!

I saw Flyers-Canadians on a rumor site involving Giroux.  They didn't specify what would be going the other way.  In fact, the only point to the rumor was that the Canadiens had talked to Hextall briefly about whether Giroux was available.  (The answer was apparently that he has a no move clause but they'd listen).

So I got to thinking: what do the Habs have that I'd even be willing to have a conversation?   The only one who came close was Price.  But I think the Habs would be stupid to do that, honestly.   And with our draft we may have finally become 2-deep at center.  I'm not sure I'd be thrilled to undo that.  But there's nothing else on the Habs that even starts the conversation.  Just on a "what if" level, can you think of anyone else that would be your shopping list IF you were inclined to move Giroux there?   2 firsts and a 4th liner?

Maybe we should wait for Miller.  He's better than Price, anyway.

Archived