Where does the Flyers' farm system rank?

brelic

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Someone either Stolie or Lyon is going to have to schitt this year or get off the pot.

Hart and Sandstrom will be battling it out next year for the starter role in LV.

So Stolie and Lyon need to play well this year so the Flyers can pencil one of them into the backup spot for 2018-19 on the big club.

I think Elliot or Neuvy depending on which plays better will start in 2018-19 and will be backed up by the winner of Stolie and Lyon the loser shipped out or let walk.

This seems to make sense. What does not make sense is goalies though, so the odds of it happening that way are slim....but that is the way I'm thinking right now also. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

This seems to make sense. What does not make sense is goalies though, so the odds of it happening that way are slim....but that is the way I'm thinking right now also. 

Well for Stolie he is 23 will turn 24 during the season and Lyon is 24 will be turning 25 so if they can't handle a backup spot in the NHL next year then they never will and it will be time to cut bait and go in another direction.

And it's time for Hart and Sandstrom to up the level of competition by next year.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well for Stolie he is 23 will turn 24 during the season and Lyon is 24 will be turning 25 so if they can't handle a backup spot in the NHL next year then they never will and it will be time to cut bait and go in another direction.

And it's time for Hart and Sandstrom to up the level of competition by next year.

Excellent points. Stolarz is at a make or break kinda year. He's basically gotta make the jump or risk getting bypassed by the talent pool nipping at his heels. Lyons age does not work well for him either....but he has only been pro for one year, so some slack allowed there, not his fault he played in the NCAA and got an awesome education to fall back on....good for him. 

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

As much as I'd like for this to happen...goalies are a strange breed, and you can't really give them a definite timeline. You could give up on a guy cause he's reaching his mid-twenties only to see him come into his own the next year or two. 

I know that can happen to any position, but more so with netminders. 

Hextalls patience may be most important with these guys.

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

As much as I'd like for this to happen...goalies are a strange breed, and you can't really give them a definite timeline. You could give up on a guy cause he's reaching his mid-twenties only to see him come into his own the next year or two. 

Agreed. The goalies not only have to make the NHL, but then get some breaks for playing time. Take Carey Price fo example, he had decent stats in his rookie year of 07-08 but regressed noticeably the following year before turning into a star. This is where Hexy comes in, he will be able to spot raw talent and know how to cultivate that talent. 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=72046

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I guess. 

So what do you do with thise two then?

If they aren't ready to be a backup in the NHL where do you put them?

Hart and Sandstrom will be the tandem for the Phantoms next year.

So you going to sign either Stolie or Lyon both and play them in the ECHL?

Because no way do i let them take time away from Hart or Sandstrom.

And i can't see them accepting an asignment down to ECHL?

So what then?

15 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Also i don't know if you mistook my comment about upping the competition for Hart and Sandstrom and meaning put them backing up in the NHL?

No i meant they need to play for the Phantoms to continue their development.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think Elliot or Neuvy depending on which plays better will start in 2018-19 and will be backed up by the winner of Stolie and Lyon the loser shipped out or let walk.

Yeah, I think one of Elliot or Neuvy is gone, possibly at the trade deadline.  If not at the deadline, possibly at the draft.

I also wouldn't be stunned if the one that is left on the Flyers actually ends up being the backup next year or fairly evenly splits time.   If it's to be the backup, you may actually see the better of the two (between Elliott and Neuvy) being the one dealt.

28 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah, I think one of Elliot or Neuvy is gone, possibly at the trade deadline.  If not at the deadline, possibly at the draft.

I also wouldn't be stunned if the one that is left on the Flyers actually ends up being the backup next year or fairly evenly splits time.   If it's to be the backup, you may actually see the better of the two (between Elliott and Neuvy) being the one dealt.

Yes. And depending on if they are in the playoff race too will have a a lot to decide who stays or goes like you said.

If there outside looking in then yeah the better one could dealt.

But depnds if Hexy wants to keep the better one for the next year and what he can get for them.

Greetings All:

I hope you are surviving the heat wave...it has been hot in FL and my brother tells me it's bad in NJ too.

I can't remember the last time our organ-eye-Zhation (in respect to our Canadian colleagues) got accolades along these lines. For years, we had nearly empty cupboards.

What does it mean?

1) I think center is a logjam, and somebody has to go.

2) Goal is a big question but I suspect a Neuvy injury will provide opportunities for answers. 

3)  If this bunch is as good as billed, we have two years to approach or make elite (top 10) status.  If not-H-squared has to move on and the pool of talent isn't that talented.

So, we keep our fingers crossed and I hope to be around for the next Flyers Cup.  

Best,

Howie

Hey Howie, Hope you are bearing the heat. It is hotter than the devil in Georgia, I can only guess what it is like in South Florida. I think that this year will be the beginning of the answer to your question. How good is the  Flyer's farm system? I still have concerns regarding Hakstal. Is he a good fit because he coached young men in collegian hockey? Or, is he too stubborn to allow the young players to make mistakes? Stay cool, Lunatic.

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I guess. 

So what do you do with thise two then?

If they aren't ready to be a backup in the NHL where do you put them?

Hart and Sandstrom will be the tandem for the Phantoms next year.

So you going to sign either Stolie or Lyon both and play them in the ECHL?

Because no way do i let them take time away from Hart or Sandstrom.

And i can't see them accepting an asignment down to ECHL?

So what then?

I think the whole situation will allow for an evolving wait and see kinda thing. Cream will rise to the top and nobody is cemented in, thus no one really blocked, If a prospect forces their hand, Elliott and or Neuvy can be sold off for cheap. Neither can block a trade. An important factor is the Phantoms defense will be respectable, so the kids can indeed showcase their talents. 

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

I think the whole situation will allow for an evolving wait and see kinda thing. Cream will rise to the top and nobody is cemented in, thus no one really blocked, If a prospect forces their hand, Elliott and or Neuvy can be sold off for cheap. Neither can block a trade. An important factor is the Phantoms defense will be respectable, so the kids can indeed showcase their talents. 

I think the whole Phantom team should be good and anything less than the 2nd round of the playoffs for them will be a disappointment.

They must build on last year's first round exit. If not Gordon needs to go!

In reading this thread, I realized that for the first time in thirty years I am really excited by the Flyer's prospects. It has the feeling of the early Keenan years. There were lots of new faces surrounded by some very capable veterans. 

5 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Hey Howie, Hope you are bearing the heat. It is hotter than the devil in Georgia, I can only guess what it is like in South Florida. I think that this year will be the beginning of the answer to your question. How good is the  Flyer's farm system? I still have concerns regarding Hakstal. Is he a good fit because he coached young men in collegian hockey? Or, is he too stubborn to allow the young players to make mistakes? Stay cool, Lunatic.

Howdy:

It is not as bad as my days in Tallahassee but it seems my ability to tolerate heat and sun are decreasing with age.  Seriously, I took a quick walk about noon today and I just wanted to get back home. Maybe I am just getting old and crotchety.

Your concern with Hak is legit.  I think expectations will ratchet up in year three.

Stay hydrated, my friend!

Lists like these are always debatable to a point. Is the Flyers pool first, second, third? In the end, it's a crap shoot given that we're talking about a large amount of variability.

That said, I think anyone paying attention looks at the pool and clearly slots it firmly in the top 5. And yeah, I understand I'm as biased as everyone who is likely to read this, but there's just too much skill in that pool to consider them anywhere below that number. That's absolutely a testament to Hextall's vision and the team's amazing drafting and building skill.

I'm with others here in saying that I haven't been this excited about the Flyers future in a very long time.

Speaking of make or break years, Leier has to make the Flyers or be exposed to waivers in order to return to the AHL....he would get scooped up if that is the case. He would need a real strong camp to naill down an NHL job, but he might have a slight advantage knowing the Flyers might lose him for nothing if exposed....or it might make him trade bait. 

2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Speaking of make or break years, Leier has to make the Flyers or be exposed to waivers in order to return to the AHL....he would get scooped up if that is the case. He would need a real strong camp to naill down an NHL job, but he might have a slight advantage knowing the Flyers might lose him for nothing if exposed....or it might make him trade bait. 

He might have a shot on the 4th line, but that would mean having to find somewhere to dump one of the guys we've got there right now -- which I'm totally fine with (Read, Weise, Lehtera)! Still, he may prefer to go elsewhere. Unless he takes a sizeable step forward at camp, I'm not sure he fits with the roster as it stands today.

11 hours ago, elmatus said:

He might have a shot on the 4th line, but that would mean having to find somewhere to dump one of the guys we've got there right now -- which I'm totally fine with (Read, Weise, Lehtera)! Still, he may prefer to go elsewhere. Unless he takes a sizeable step forward at camp, I'm not sure he fits with the roster as it stands today.

Don't forget it's a 23 man roster, not just the 18 skaters per game.  There are three press box seats available.

1 hour ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Don't forget it's a 23 man roster, not just the 18 skaters per game.  There are three press box seats available.

Yeah, but he's a young guy who wants to be on an NHL roster. I imagine if the Flyers don't sign him, he'll likely try to get signed elsewhere. If that doesn't work, who knows? Maybe he signs for an AHL team again.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

Yeah, but he's a young guy who wants to be on an NHL roster. I imagine if the Flyers don't sign him, he'll likely try to get signed elsewhere. If that doesn't work, who knows? Maybe he signs for an AHL team again.

Leier is already signed, and he's an RFA after the season. He may want to go somewhere, but nobody's going to offer sheet him.

I don't think Sandstrom sees any time in the AHL at all next year. Honestly, I expect him to come into camp, win the back up role to Elliott next year and then take over the year after that. I know some will say he needs time to adjust to the North American game, but that's all hog wash. Lundqvist didn't play a game in the AHL and he turned out all right. I think Sandstrom has enough natural talent that he's going to give the Flyers lots to think about when he comes over. 

As for Carter Hart, I think he will take a little longer, only because the team he plays for plays a smothering defensive game and he's going to have to work some kinks out in his game. He's got the mindset, but he needs to work out some technical issues in his game. He didn't look good at the WJC and I think he'd admit the same as well. So, let him sit in the minors, let Sandstrom play in the NHL and then in a couple of years time, watch the two of them duke it out. Should be a beautiful tandem going forard.

11 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

As for Carter Hart, I think he will take a little longer, only because the team he plays for plays a smothering defensive game and he's going to have to work some kinks out in his game. He's got the mindset, but he needs to work out some technical issues in his game. He didn't look good at the WJC and I think he'd admit the same as well. So, let him sit in the minors, let Sandstrom play in the NHL and then in a couple of years time, watch the two of them duke it out. Should be a beautiful tandem going forard.

I thought Hart had one bad game at the WJHCs. He lost in the shootout of the Gold Medal game because Canada didn't score ONE goal.

Archived