Where are the Fire Hakstol chants now?

hf101

Where are the Fire Hakstol chants now?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still want a different coach at the end of the Season?

4 hours ago, brelic said:

I don't mean to keep hitting this dead horse but of the top-25 scorers in the NHL only 7, at any point in their career, have been traded.

Four of them were traded by Peter Chiarelli.

8. Taylor Hall
9. Phil Kessel
11. Blake Wheeler
25. Tyler Seguin

You should see the list of former players on my keeper fantasy hockey team.  @yave1964  @pilldoc @TropicalFruitGirl26

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mkscrewy said:

this maybe shouldn't surprise anyone here, but here's an excerpt from Charlie O'Connor regarding our loss to the NYI

DFxJ07K.png

This is actually telling.  I guess I'm okay with the urge to want to "prevent" a goal after one (no matter which team just scored).  But it's the predictability of it and the either refusal or lack of awareness to adapt.   It seems as if he's gift-wrapping the match-ups.   It would be even worse if this were the case at home, and I'm willing to bet it is the case.   If it's at home, you're basically surrendering your last change advantage.   It's similar to running off right tackle every single second down.   At some point, the other coach can easily game plan for it and stuff it.   Unlike hockey, because there's so many second downs a coach can suddenly throw a change up and use this to his advantage.   There's only so many goals in hockey (unless Mrazek is playing) so there's really no argument for setting up for a change-up.

22 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

This is actually telling.  I guess I'm okay with the urge to want to "prevent" a goal after one (no matter which team just scored).  But it's the predictability of it and the either refusal or lack of awareness to adapt.   It seems as if he's gift-wrapping the match-ups.   It would be even worse if this were the case at home, and I'm willing to bet it is the case.   If it's at home, you're basically surrendering your last change advantage.   It's similar to running off right tackle every single second down.   At some point, the other coach can easily game plan for it and stuff it.   Unlike hockey, because there's so many second downs a coach can suddenly throw a change up and use this to his advantage.   There's only so many goals in hockey (unless Mrazek is playing) so there's really no argument for setting up for a change-up.

In theory there's nothing wrong and everything right with putting out you're "checking line" after scoring. The Jets do this all the time. The difference is their line consists of Lowry (big, strong, physical center, Tanev (small, speedy, feisty winger). and Armia (big, fast, physical skilled). They are all young and bring a ton of energy. That's the difference I guess. 

7 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

In theory there's nothing wrong and everything right with putting out you're "checking line" after scoring. The Jets do this all the time. The difference is their line consists of Lowry (big, strong, physical center, Tanev (small, speedy, feisty winger). and Armia (big, fast, physical skilled). They are all young and bring a ton of energy. That's the difference I guess. 

I completely agree with your first sentence.   I think it's probably fairly typical.  But I wonder about every time, and especially when you start to realize your opponents are assuming it and are putting out their top line against your 4th.    Maybe change it up once in awhile.  Maybe...gasp...make an adjustment.

The other thing, too, is what you said with the rest of that.  It could really be a player personnel thing that's making it worse.   But I would have to assume -- and at this point, it's only an assumption -- that Hakstol knows what players comprise his team.

I'm still in the "wait and see what he does with a roster with more talent" camp.  While I'm sometimes (often) stunned by his line choices and with his deployment choices, I think it's fair to acknowledge that he doesn't have a lot of options if he's not going to play the same 6-8 forwards  and 4 defenders all game.

Fyi, Both Quenville and  Bowman will be returning to the Blackhawks next season.  No surprise really as it is tough to blame the coach and GM with key injuries on the roster. 

3 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Fyi, Both Quenville and  Bowman will be returning to the Blackhawks next season.  No surprise really as it is tough to blame the coach and GM with key injuries on the roster. 

Agreed.  Not just key injuries but a lesser roster.   But yeah, you lose your starting goalie for the amount of time they have and some of their other injuries, it's hard to push out a 2x Stanley Cup Winner.

5 hours ago, brelic said:

8. Taylor Hall
9. Phil Kessel
11. Blake Wheeler
25. Tyler Seguin

You know, with the exception of Hall, they're all on my former player list just this season.

15 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Saw that, absolutely see the keeping of coach Q, Bowman made a few questionable moves this offseason ranging from bringing back Sharp (why not, they bring everyone back) to the ill fated deal of Panarin for Saad plus he has the team in permanent cap hell with the long term deals to his aging stars, something that a long time Wings fan cantell you will bite your fanny in todays game every time. If either had to go I would have said Bowman.

4 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Saw that, absolutely see the keeping of coach Q, Bowman made a few questionable moves this offseason ranging from bringing back Sharp (why not, they bring everyone back) to the ill fated deal of Panarin for Saad plus he has the team in permanent cap hell with the long term deals to his aging stars, something that a long time Wings fan cantell you will bite your fanny in todays game every time. If either had to go I would have said Bowman.

Yeah, probably.  But I wouldn't do that either.  Still just based on the 2 Cups thing.  I mean, obviously he sold tomorrow for today to get the Cups, but he also had the injuries this year that HF mentioned.   The damning thing for me is the Sharp and Panarin things.   I'm not sure I actually understand the Saad/Panarin thing from either team, but it's at least recently working out for Columbus.      I think Bowman probably deserves some time to regroup and move forward.    Coach Q deserves at least one more year to see what happens with a healthy team.   Without some smart moves from Bowman, though, I don't think they have the depth for a deep playoff run even if they're healthy.

In my near 40 years as a Flyers fan, never have I ever seen a coach do as much as possible to sabotage a team, intentional or not, like Hakstol has. I really don't believe that Hextall is a stupid man either and that he has to be concerned with the way Hakstol approached game and line management. If he isn't on thin ice, he's got to at least have a short leash.

27 minutes ago, brelic said:

The commentators were baffled that he chose to put Read out with the top line over Giroux in the final minute. 

He was resting Giroux for OT...so he would be fresh!!! :hehe:

35 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

He was resting Giroux for OT...so he would be fresh!!! :hehe:

You know the sad part about this? I would not be surprised if you're 100% correct. Planning for failure would explain many of the choices he seems to make actually.

3 hours ago, elmatus said:

You know the sad part about this? I would not be surprised if you're 100% correct. Planning for failure would explain many of the choices he seems to make actually.

Just wait until he decides to not dress Giroux for Game 82 because he wants him rested for the playoffs....

On 4/6/2018 at 9:05 AM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

In my near 40 years as a Flyers fan, never have I ever seen a coach do as much as possible to sabotage a team, intentional or not, like Hakstol has. I really don't believe that Hextall is a stupid man either and that he has to be concerned with the way Hakstol approached game and line management. If he isn't on thin ice, he's got to at least have a short leash.

Hakstol has a lot longer leash than many on here think.  His team just keeps taking steps forward and thats what you want for a long term franchise coach.

3 hours ago, hf101 said:

Hakstol has a lot longer leash than many on here think.  His team just keeps taking steps forward and thats what you want for a long term franchise coach.

Pretty sure you're right on this one. 

17 hours ago, hf101 said:

Hakstol has a lot longer leash than many on here think.  His team just keeps taking steps forward and thats what you want for a long term franchise coach.

He does, but I'm not sure he merits it. He's been outcoached quite a bit over these past seasons. There's a learning curve obviously, but he will need to start showing that he is learning and getting better very soon. Otherwise, he's taking up space and holding the team back. No offence to the guy, but no one wants that on a team that should be getting remarkably better over the next couple years.

Archived