Coyle Traded to Bruins; Donato + 5th Come Back to MN

Jimtown guy

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

He goes back home. Didn’t he play for Boston U?

Yes, he did play for Boston University.

He is also from Massachusetts.

I'm gonna miss him.
One of my favorite Wild players even though he didn't live up to what Brent Burns did in San Jose.

Still, even though I can't stand the Bruins, I wish Coyle personal future success moving forward.

8 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Yes, he did play for Boston University.

He is also from Massachusetts.

I'm gonna miss him.
One of my favorite Wild players even though he didn't live up to what Brent Burns did in San Jose.

Still, even though I can't stand the Bruins, I wish Coyle personal future success moving forward.

My wife is damn near in tears. She absolutely loved Coyle and to top it off he went to the Bruins who she hates 

Just now, Jimtown guy said:

My wife is damn near in tears. She absolutely loved Coyle and to top it off he went the Bruins who she hates 

Well, then....your wife and I have more in common than I thought..... I feel her pain...in both losing Coyle and hating the Bruins... 

Looks like Wild clearing salary to me. Fifth round just another intermediate pick that will likely produce another Euro prospect. Ryan Donato a 6 foot 200 pound 22 year old free agent who played at Harvard, also a 2018 Olympian. Been with mostly baby Bs this year. His cap hit is $900,000 Coyle's $3 million.

I hate the deal from the Wild perspective, I have said in here many times that I felt they have misused Coyle his entire career, they never let him settle into a role, be it a winger or a center or top six or third line or whatever, they bounced him up and down the lines and multiple positions willy nilly. Of course that is probably what Boston found alluring with him, his versatility so there is that.

The return is underwhelming, Donato is a meh player, soft and one dimensional he doesn't hit, he isn't much on the backcheck, the Bruins have grown frustrated with his learning curve. Minus 11 on that team, whoof. The other part of the deal was a 5th rounder which isn't much either.

I woulda thought that Coyle could have netted a late second or at worst a third, I get it that they wanted a roster player and a pick but Donato is a very underwhelming return. 

10 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I hate the deal from the Wild perspective, I have said in here many times that I felt they have misused Coyle his entire career, they never let him settle into a role, be it a winger or a center or top six or third line or whatever, they bounced him up and down the lines and multiple positions willy nilly. Of course that is probably what Boston found alluring with him, his versatility so there is that.

The return is underwhelming, Donato is a meh player, soft and one dimensional he doesn't hit, he isn't much on the backcheck, the Bruins have grown frustrated with his learning curve. Minus 11 on that team, whoof. The other part of the deal was a 5th rounder which isn't much either.

I woulda thought that Coyle could have netted a late second or at worst a third, I get it that they wanted a roster player and a pick but Donato is a very underwhelming return. 

Agreed the return is underwhelming.

I was thinking at least a 3rd should have come back.
About the only thing Donato has going for him is that he is 22 and a Center....BUT...Will Minnesota ultimately KEEP him as a Center?
And his playing experience is mostly amateur (college and Olympics)...only a handful of games in the pros between the AHL and NHL.

The scorecard isn't looking so hot for the Wild thus far.
The Nino trade was a swing and a miss.....the Coyle trade is looking like a weak grounder to third.

I certainly hope they fare better when the inevitable Jason Zucker, Mikael Granlund, or Jared Spurgeon deals come about...

Let's bring some optimism into our unpredictable Wild status. I think it is not a bad trade. It seems a very promising young(22 y.o.) prospect. Donato is also from MA as well as Coyle. Both are from there.  According to his stats, I like him more than anyone else who we got recently by trade. Last year in Olympics he also was a single player who had 5 goals and 1 assist in 5 games for the US team. He played pretty well for the Olympic team together with Greenway. Hope it will be a nice fit into the Wild team and be able to develop some chemistry with Greenway. Bruins did not like him, but maybe the Wild will get an interesting producer out of him. And agree Wild is clearing a salary cap too.

Here is a link about his stats:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/195235/ryan-donato

Archived