Game 15: Canadiens at Flyers; 11/7 @ &:00

Howie58

58 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

These teams have similar records.  If we play like we did against the Canes, we should do fine.  

https://pickpapa.com/nhl/11-7-2019/montreal-canadiens-vs-philadelphia-flyers-at-7-05pm-expert-predictions

We are the favorites by a smidgen.  

Need to take advantage of their 30th ranked PK.

Let's start a new winning streak.

• Haha 1

ROJECTED LINEUPS (subject to change)

FLYERS

25 James van Riemsdyk - 28 Claude Giroux - 49 Joel Farabee
23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny
81 Carsen Twarynski - 13 Kevin Hayes - 92 Jakub Voracek
12 Michael Raffl - 24 Mikhail Vorobyev - 18 Tyler Pitlick

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 61 Justin Braun
6 Travis Sanheim - 5 Phil Myers

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

Power Play 1: Giroux, JVR, Farabee, Provorov, Voracek
Power Play 2: Couturier, Lindblom, Konecny, Gostisbehere, Niskanen

Scratches: 8 Robert Hägg (healthy), 44 Chris Stewart (healthy)
Injured reserve: 21 Scott Laughton (broken right index finger)
Injured non-roster: 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines)

CANADIENS

90 Tomas Tatar - 24 Phillip Danault - 11 Brendan Gallagher
92 Jonathan Drouin - 13 Max Domi - 40 Joel Armia
62 Artturi Lehkonen - 25 Ryan Poehling - 41 Paul Byron
21 Nick Cousins - 44 Nate Thompson - 14 Nick Suzuki

53 Victor Mete - 6 Shea Weber
8 Ben Chiarot - 26 Jeff Petry
28 Mike Reilly - 20 Cale Fleury

31 Carey Price
[37 Keith Kinkaid]

Power Play 1: Tatar, Danault, Gallagher, Drouin, Weber
Power Play 2: Cousins, Domi, Armia, Suzuki, Petry

Scratches: 17 Brett Kulak (healthy), 32 Christian Folin (healthy), 43 Jordan Weal (healthy)
Injured reserve: Jesperi Kotkaniemi (groin)

22 minutes ago, Digityman said:

They healthy scratched Jordan Weal????  😯

They healthy scratched Christian Folin????  😯😯

Hey but they kept Cousins in there! Guess he's gotta score against us. It's a rite of passage. 

Simmonds did it, Bardreau did it. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, brelic said:

Hey but they kept Cousins in there! Guess he's gotta score against us. It's a rite of passage. 

Simmonds did it, Bardreau did it. 

Meanwhile JVR did nada vs the Leafs....why is it only the Flyers former players torch them??? Let's file a complaint with the union...

• Like 1

Can't speak for anyone else but i think Nisky has been the unsung hero so far this season...very impressed with his addition...

#steadyeddie

Brings a lot to this team...and even dropping the gloves...a very good game vs the Canes.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

#steadyeddie

You can live a whole life and never do anything to earn a nickname like that. Highest compliment a teammate can give you: consistently bringing the jam, every game, every shift. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

You can live a whole life and never do anything to earn a nickname like that. Highest compliment a teammate can give you: consistently bringing the jam, every game, every shift. 

One of his most impressive feats so far and i wish he would coach the kids up on his how this wizard manages to his shots through traffic on net is seems to be a dying skill....please steady eddie pass it on...carry on...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

One of his most impressive feats so far and i wish he would coach the kids up on his how this wizard manages to his shots through traffic on net is seems to be a dying skill....please steady eddie pass it on...carry on...

Excellent observation. It is something I always remember about him now that you mention it. And fighting. Are you kidding?! Love it.

• Like 1

Interesting how the tables have turned.

When Gudas was dealt for Niskanen, Fletcher was lambasted a fool and the idea that the Flyers took on salary disnt make sense

Now the guy has earned a cool nickname and his skills are being lauded. 

Maybe im not the only one who doesnt miss Gudas

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Can't speak for anyone else but i think Nisky has been the unsung hero so far this season...very impressed with his addition...

#steadyeddie

Brings a lot to this team...and even dropping the gloves...a very good game vs the Canes.

Same here. The number one thing for me is..he seems to be a calming influence out there.

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

When Gudas was dealt for Niskanen, Fletcher was lambasted a fool and the idea that the Flyers took on salary disnt make sense

A lot of guys were looking at his production which decreased enough to warrant questions, and then he didn't have a great playoffs, so his numbers were not great and the eyeball test was not great. So I can't fault anyone for being skeptical of the move.

I was hoping he would bounce back, I remembered him being a very good player for the Pens and then the best defenseman on the Caps for a time. Carlsson was pushing and could have been argued... but Niskanen was a solid 1 or 2 on that team. He also didn't seem to be "old enough" to have that drop in production be a forecaster for things to come. His game wasn't like Mike Green's so to have that off a cliff drop in production seemed like it could have been an outlier rather than a trend.

Meltzer made a post about Niskanen having a concussion in January and then when he came back he got smoked a couple of times and was never "right".  

He looks fine now. I hope he can stay healthy, he's exactly what this group needs in terms of a playing mentor.

EDIT: I was happy about the trade, I thought Niskanen was the best player in the deal. - not going to throw shade at those who didn't agree, they had #reasons that were justified.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Loved this trade.   Honestly.

Part of it probably is I never quite warmed to Gudas.   But i just really liked it.

Count me among those who doesn't miss Gudas.   I didn't hate him, but I don't miss him.    I'm kind of curious to know what they're saying on Capitals' boards.  I wonder if they still think they fleeced us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

I said this when the trade went down he was a serviceable defenseman but had worn out his welcome in Philly.

I thought this was an upgrade.

But I agree many put Fletch on blast mainly it seems for what didn't work in Minnesota.

At the end of the day I was going to judge him for what he did here and nothing more.

I can't speak for others.

• Like 2

I liked how physical Gudas was, but in my opinion that was outweighed by penalties and suspensions. Plus he was not the guy to make the young d-corps better 

We got the better deal and Nisky appears to be all he was supposed to be. Lets put a check in the "pro" column for Fletch. 

So that makes the pro/con score what,  1-20?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I liked how physical Gudas was, but in my opinion that was outweighed by penalties and suspensions. Plus he was not the guy to make the young d-corps better 

We got the better deal and Nisky appears to be all he was supposed to be. Lets put a check in the "pro" column for Fletch. 

So that makes the pro/con score what,  1-20?

Completely agreed on the bold.   And it's still early in the season, but Nisky is doing what I hoped for when they announced the trade.

As for Fletch, count me among those who is leery of him based on track record in Minny.  In fact, I really needed to be talked back from the ledge of the subway platform when they announced him.

So far, I honestly cannot complain about individual moves.  Hayes was an overpayment, sure, and this board will have about 30  100+ post threads a day in about 3-4 years kvetching about his salary and "it's way too much to be paying a guy for the 4th line!"   But Fletch got his guy and he really is stabilizing us down the middle and on the penalty kill.     I understood Braun and I'm okay with I think all the moves individually so far--though I don't fully understand Pitlick and Stewart.

I've moved from "burn the witch!" to "wait and see."   It doesn't sound like much, but I don't throw rose petals, so it's something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

So far, I honestly cannot complain about individual moves.  Hayes was an overpayment, sure, and this board will have about 30  100+ post threads a day in about 3-4 years kvetching about his salary and "it's way too much to be paying a guy for the 4th line!" 

Given the Patrick situation, which Fletch knew about at the time, kinda gives it a different perspective. We’ll never know what he would have done in an alternate universe where Patrick is healthy, but it was a move he kinda had to make with the information he had. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, brelic said:

Given the Patrick situation, which Fletch knew about at the time, kinda gives it a different perspective. We’ll never know what he would have done in an alternate universe where Patrick is healthy, but it was a move he kinda had to make with the information he had. 

Ain't it funny how sometimes there's information we don't have on a message board?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1