The problem is?

Jam1986

34 minutes ago, Brewin Flames said:

10-7-4 and you have a solid nhl netminder to build a team around...

A proven vet as a coach and some studs in the pipeline....only way is up.

On paper sure but the core players the really remaining two who most know who I am talking about seem to be the issue.

Everything has been changed.

Except these two.

So the only thing that is left to be done is move the two suspect chairs on the titanic...

..and if it still goes down then you can honestly and I mean honestly say you have tried everything.

Just an opinion....

Our best players aren't our best players. 

Now, Is this a data point or a trend ?

The line of Hayes, JvR and Voracek should be wearing people out, and they can't get the puck nor can they keep it.

Those guys have to be better, there's like nearly 23m aav wrapped up in these guys they need to un-**** themselves

Giroux is not scoring but I don't see him in the same light that glares at the three amigos. 

He's playing with young guys and they're playing mostly well...last night vs Barkov, look, I think a lot of guys have bad nights when they're matched up with that line, Barkov is a notch below McDavid and Crosby IMO. He's the real deal and walking mismatch.

Ghost hasn't been very Ghost like either, l don't know if he's going to get back to the level of effectiveness he had when he was "new". I think guys have the book on him and he hasn't adapted yet, I don't know if he has that extra gear.

Also there's a lot of dudes that are under 23 years old playing significant minutes, they're going to make mistakes, is their upside worth the growing pains?  As long as the team doesn't play itself out of contention by December I think they'll be alright.

Last night was frustrating, taking the L on Saturday vs the Islanders sucked too.  They're in the deep end of the pool time to start swimming.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

50 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Our best players aren't our best players. 

This seems like an expectations issue to me. I think it's totally fair to expect more out of Giroux. He's currently tied for 4th in pts on the team, but it's safe to say most would have expected him to be the team pts leader. That said, I do think keeping him on the wing is a good first step to helping him return to form. All in all, he's still extremely reliable when he's on the ice. He's just not scoring. Having him running on the wing with a shooter of some sort is probably a good way forward.

Now, beyond Giroux, our best forwards in my opinion are Couturier, TK, and Lindblom. All three of those guys have been solid all year. I think Lindblom is surprising to me a bit, but it's been a pleasant surprise. Couts has been second best behind Giroux for some time now, and it's entirely possible he still has another gear, so that really shouldn't be shocking anyone. TK has had high potential written all over him since the first month he made the team. He really shouldn't be a surprise either.

Farabee is rough around the edges but coming along nicely. Frost had a fantastic first game (the very definition of small sample size, but it's still worth mentioning). On the back end, Provorov is emerging into the best dman we've had since Pronger, and Niskanen has proven to be Fletch's best roster decision by a solid mile (which wasn't guaranteed by any stretch, so it also should be acknowledged). Myers is learning and progressing nicely as well, good enough in fact that he's largely usurped Sanheim as our third best dman right now (partially because Sanheim hasn't had a great start this season, but he's still very young and should be given some time yet).

Now, if the expectation is for guys like Hayes, JVR, and Voracek to be our best players, than I would offer that's just not a plausible expectation. All three of those guys are limited players who do certain things well and other things not so well. None of that should be news to anyone though. They've all been remarkably consistent in what they bring to a team throughout their careers, and none of them are youngins who still have room to grow. We all should know exactly what those guys bring to the table.

Voracek is currently tied for 4th on the team in scoring, behind only the TLC trio. I would offer that's mostly because TLC has been dynamite, whereas Voracek has been pretty much the same as always. JVR is performing at a rate we should probably expect for a grinder-type who only knows what to do when in the offensive zone (though I would say his lack of PPPs is very concerning to me). And Hayes is not an elite scorer in the NHL. He's a defensive forward, great on the PK and in the dzone who plays a solid puck possession game. Again, I would offer that he is living up to those expectations and providing that skill set. 

Now, do people expect Voracek to learn to pick a corner, or JVR to figure out what two-way play looks like, or Hayes to learn to score more than his avg ~45ish pts a season? Maybe, but that would be an expectations problem.

Are those three making too much money? Well, that's a question for another post. But salary doesn't equate to best player status. Ideally it would, but there are countless examples all around the league where this just isn't the case (hello Nylander!). The Flyers are no different in that regard.

Edited by elmatus

I think the problem is you have a coach who is demanding the players meet his standards, execute his system and perform better 

They are used to being coddled and have a sense of entitlement.  The two dont mix. Add in young players pushing for spots and that equates to dysfunction and lack of cohesion.

Result.... uninspired, inconsistent play.

Conclusion....the coach will win this battle. 

Trust...the...process

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Trust...the...process

43 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The nerve.

Do either of you get to watch the Philly feed ever?  NBC Sports Network/Philly plays a SEPTA commercial like twice every commercial break and it makes me laugh every time.

Something about Philly fans being the same, but the line that makes me laugh:  "Some years we triumph; some years we trust."

LOL   @CoachX's "trust the process" made me think of it.

25 minutes ago, intheslot said:

It goes back to the core players..

sorry but g is the main one then, jvr and vorchec

again ...strip the c from g ,go with no Captain .

Until someone earns it .

last thing to do is make a trade ..

We have no leadership or tenacity. The veterans are mentally and physically soft. TK, Coots and Lindblom are the only guys up front that really compete.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Do either of you get to watch the Philly feed ever?  NBC Sports Network/Philly plays a SEPTA commercial like twice every commercial break and it makes me laugh every time.

Something about Philly fans being the same, but the line that makes me laugh:  "Some years we triumph; some years we trust."

I do watch the Philly feed but not the commercials usually.

If Chuckles could just move Jake for something of value I think it would help alot.

Something is going on with that dud it's 11 games straight now and he is still looking for his 200th goal.

Will he ever score again?

Someone please tell him if he helps retrieve the puck then maybe he will have a chance to get it.

That is if he can resist the temptation to pass it away....

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Ive been put on lock down so I dont get to see the Philly feeds. In fact, those of you who hook me up with game feeds are my heros.

And lets not overlook that i stole "trust the process" from Pods

1 hour ago, intheslot said:

It goes back to the core players..

sorry but g is the main one then, jvr and vorchec

again ...strip the c from g ,go with no Captain .

Until someone earns it .

last thing to do is make a trade ..

Whoa Turbo! Taps the brakes and back away from the ledge

I cant get on board with stripping Giroux or trading him. Way too soon for something like that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

We have no leadership or tenacity. The veterans are mentally and physically soft. TK, Coots and Lindblom are the only guys up front that really compete.

I definitelt agree there is no tenacity. I think the leadership issue is still there. Niskanen is doing a good job on the back end. Giroux can do better by leading by example

Sorry, I was thinking that you are talking about the problem on a site. From my observation any threads started late evening yesterday on your forum as well as the Wild forum do not calculate numbers of views who was able to read each specific thread. For example, on 14 replies of this thread we have 0 views, which is wrong.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Sorry, I was thinking that you are talking about the problem on a site. From my observation any threads started late evening yesterday on your forum as well as the Wild forum do not calculate numbers of views who was able to read each specific thread. For example, on 14 replies of this thread we have 0 views, which is wrong.

LOL  Been here since the day this site started and had no idea it listed # of views for a thread.  I don't ever go on the "team page," so didn't see it.  that's interesting.

Yeah, 14 (now 16) replies without anyone viewing it is an interesting feat.

@hf101, just tagging you in case there's something.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Yea, I know what you mean.... it CONSTANTLY shows me liking @ruxpin 's comments when I CLEARLY can't stand the man... HF needs to look into these anomalies…. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

As for "problems" with the Flyers....young defense, young goalie, veteran forwards not all performing to their abilities.

The young stuff can be fixed with coaching and time, the other stuff? Hmmm....dunno…..

If people want to be rid of the non-performing Flyers vets, they need to trade them to me in fantasy.  They'll be injured and gone in no time.

And I hate you too.  🙈🙉🙊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Wow,  I hadn't noticed.   I have an upgrade to do soon.  maybe it is just a bug.  Or maybe releated to a pluggin on the main page.  

Thanks.  Feel free to drop me a PM any time you see something that seems like it isn't working properly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Wow,  I hadn't noticed.   I have an upgrade to do soon.  maybe it is just a bug.  Or maybe releated to a pluggin on the main page.  

Thanks.  Feel free to drop me a PM any time you see something that seems like it isn't working properly.

Thanks. I think it is something going on with a software. Just happened late evening on Tuesday. Look at our recent Wild threads 1). the game against Buffalo yesterday ( we have 0 views out of 4 pages of replies; 2) Zucker Trade having zero views as well. And it seems other previous threads do not collect any additional numbers of views since yesterday.  That is an important part of finding how hot(the level of interest)of the topic is for viewers.

I have seen that problem once, if I remember, last year during a playoffs time.