Trade Deadline - Should the Flyers be buyers or sellers?

Guest Digityman

Trade Deadline - Should the Flyers be Buyers or Sellers   

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Flyers be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline?

• Flyers should be BUYERS at the trade deadline
    • Flyers should be SELLERS at the trade deadline
    • Flyers should be open to BOTH at the trade deadline
  2. 2. I would do the following (Multiple Choice - Select all you agree with)

• I would trade Jagr at the deadline for the right return.
    • I would trade Briere at the deadline for the right return.
    • I would trade picks for Gleason at the deadline.
    • I would trade JVR+ for Suter at the deadline.
    • I would trade mid round picks for Suter's rights in the off-season
    • I would trade JVR+ for Weber at the deadline.
    • I would trade picks for Beauchemin at the deadline.
    • I would trade JVR for Luke Schenn at the deadline.
    • I would trade anyone other than Giroux for ANY #1 or #2 dman at the deadline.
    • I would do another trade that I'll explain below (reply to topic).

I don't think I'd sell, the only pieces that would be "sale" pieces being Briere and Jagr. If Jagr is healthy and back to producing with Giroux and Hartnell, moving him doesn't make too much sense. Nor does moving Briere who has raised his performance when the playoffs roll around. Since I disagree with the sentiment that there is no chance the Flyers win the cup, I don't move two guys who could be big pieces of a run.

As far as buying, I don't buy a rental. If we can bring in a solid top-4 dman who's 28-32 and under contract for a reasonable number for a couple years, ok. If Weber is available and it can be made to work with the cap, and they can lock him up for a 4-5 year contract, I do that. I don't go all in for an older UFA.

The only way I move Briere is if it allows for cap relief enough to sign Weber in the offseason. Otherwise, he is too valuable in the postseason.

If we really have ZERO chance of winning the Cup this season then sell. Whats the point otherwise, but really, you never know until the playoffs roll around. Its anyone's game.

What if Bryz gets red hot and we can ride him to a Cup? You never know.

The only way I move Briere is if it allows for cap relief enough to sign Weber in the offseason. Otherwise, he is too valuable in the postseason.

If we really have ZERO chance of winning the Cup this season then sell. Whats the point otherwise, but really, you never know until the playoffs roll around. Its anyone's game.

What if Bryz gets red hot and we can ride him to a Cup? You never know.

What if a leprechaun appears spewing gold coins and bearing magic Guinness steins that automatically refill? I'd bet on the leprachaun over Bryz in the playoffs.

What if a leprechaun appears spewing gold coins and bearing magic Guinness steins that automatically refill? I'd bet on the leprachaun over Bryz in the playoffs.

Reminds me of the Saturday Night Live Superfriends Sketch...

"Who would win da Indy Five Hunnerd? Mario Andretti or Ditka driving Da Bears Busss?"

I wanna know which 2 posters are in favour of trading JVR for Luke (deer in headlights) Schenn. Luke is not catching on, despite tons of ice time and being spared playing against opponents top lines. Toronto is hoping some lame ass GM uses the "d-men take longer to develop" train of thought and take him on. This theory (which is usually true BTW) does not apply here. The brain cramps are real, the lack of poise is real....the fact he is a bust....real.

I'd do JvR for Suter only if I know I can sign him... I don't trade JvR if there's a whiff of Suter wanting to "test the waters".... so a deal with him would have to be agreed upon prior pulling the trigger.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if the Flyers stood pat and rolled with what they have. If they can rape someone and keep the young core, then go for it.

Briere has a NMC and tends to come alive in the playoffs. Jagr signed with Philly to be a Flyer and has proven to be an excellent influence on the youngsters, so it would be just rude to try and move him. No panic necessary.

I'd bet this edited version of what you said appears in many Leaf forums. And I couldn't argue with it one bit.

I wanna know which 2 posters are in favour of trading Luke Schenn for J (deer in headlights) VR. James is not catching on, despite tons of ice time and being spared playing against opponents top lines. Philly is hoping some lame ass GM uses the "power forwards take longer to develop" train of thought and take him on. This theory (which is usually true BTW) does not apply here. The brain cramps are real, the lack of poise is real....the fact he is a bust....real.

That said, I wouldn't trade JVR for Schenn, cause I think you could do much better, in a package.

lol I don't see Homer doing the raping, I see him taking it up the a$$.

Oh, you think he is too tuckered out from raping Columbus for Voracek & Couturier? He at least kissed LA before jamming it in and taking Fitzgerald and Schenn (who is finally coming around.)

Oh, you think he is too tuckered out from raping Columbus for Voracek & Couturier? He at least kissed LA before jamming it in and taking Fitzgerald and Schenn (who is finally coming around.)

First, who is Fitzgerald? Simmonds?

And second, Schenn is finally coming around? He's a rookie who's played SIXTEEN games...wow, this has been a looooong time comin'.

There's a big difference when Homer retools or rebuilds. But when there's a need or who Homer wants, he tends to get bent over.