Game 60: Blue Jackets at Flyers; 2/18/20 @ 7 PM

Howie58

Greetings:

The O and B are a slight favorite.  CBJ does well as a road underdog, but the Flyers have been a better team of late:

https://sportschatplace.com/picks/nhl/philadelphia-flyers-vs-columbus-blue-jackets-2-18-20-nhl-pick-odds-and-prediction

These two games may determine playoff picture down the road for either team.  

• Good Post 1

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUPS (subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
49 Joel Farabee - 13 Kevin Hayes - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 21 Scott Laughton - 18 Tyler Pitlick
12 Michael Raffl - 82 Connor Bunnaman - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim -5 Phil Myers
8 Robert Hägg - 61 Justin Braun

79 Carter Hart
[37 Brian Elliott]

Power Play 1: Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Voracek, Provorov.
Power Play 2: JVR, Hayes, Farabee, Sanheim, Niskanen.

Scratches: 53 Shayne Gostisbehere (knee).

LTIR: 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL, out for season), 23 Oskar Lindblom (Ewing sarcoma, out for season), 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines).

BLUE JACKETS

14 Gustav Nyquist - 11 Kevin Stenlund - 52 Emil Bemström
24 Nathan Gerbe - 38 Boone Jenner - 71 Nick Foligno
22 Sonny Milano - 18 Pierre-Luc Dubois - 28 Oliver Björkstrand
50 Eric Robinson - 28 Riley Nash - 50 Jakob Lilja

8 Zach Werenski - 65 Markus Nutivaara
44 Vladislav Gavrikov - 58 David Savard
4 Scott Harrington - 2 Andrew Peake

90 Elvis Merzlikins
[80 Matīss Kivlenieks]

Power Play 1: Foligno, Dubois, Björkstrand, Bemström, Werenski
Power Play 2: Nyquist, Jenner, Milano, Stenlund, Nutivaara

Scratches: 53 Gabriel Carlsson (healthy), 70 Joonas Korpisalo (day-to-day, Dec. 28 knee injury).

IR: 3 Seth Jones (ankle surgery on Feb. 9, out 8-to-10 weeks), 10 Alexander Wennberg (upper body, Feb. 1, out 3-4 weeks), 13 Cam Atkinson (sprained ankle on Feb. 9, out 2-to-3 weeks), 17 Brandon Dubinsky (wrist, Sep. 24), 27 Ryan Murray (upper body, Dec. 13), 42 Alexandre Texier (lumbar stress fracture, Dec. 31), 46 Dean Kukan (torn knee meniscus, Jan. 2), 77 Josh Anderson (shoulder, Dec. 13).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

CBJ disciplined but lack top end talent especially with Jones and Atkinson now out. They play damn hard but are out of gas. 

This group is essentially the Monsters team that destroyed the AHL 3/4 years ago, yes ?

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This group is essentially the Monsters team that destroyed the AHL 3/4 years ago, yes ?

A lot of kids who weren't even in the AHL then Robinson, Bemstrom, Elvis, Sherwood, Peeke, lilja and Stenlund are all AHL players forced into NHL roles after a ton of defections and injuries to Wenberg, Atkinson, Jones, Dubinsky, Anderson and Texier among others. 

The wife and I watched them lose 3-1 to the Rags on Valentines day, the CBJ carry the play quite a bit but literally have zero finishers. They outshot and outchanced the Rangers by a large margin but they were poor quality shots, they put the puck on net a lot hoping for garbage and rebounds and puck luck, truthfully they have no business with this crew being in the conversation for a playoff spot. Obviously as they are my wifes team and I live in Ohio and the Wings are so dreadfully awful I would like to see the Jackets do well but this is not an NHL playoff caliber team. A hot goalie and puck luck and hard work is all nice but when they go against a skilled team they dont do so well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

CBJ disciplined but lack top end talent especially with Jones and Atkinson now out. They play damn hard but are out of gas. 

The Flyers are manic depressive.  They usually play a good second half, but can be awful in the first lately. 

The injuries may have the Flyers come out underestimating the remainder of the Jackets... though home ice is good the the Flyers this year.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, King Knut said:

The Flyers are manic depressive.  They usually play a good second half, but can be awful in the first lately. 

The injuries may have the Flyers come out underestimating the remainder of the Jackets... though home ice is good the the Flyers this year.

I would have to say Flyers 4 Jackets 2 with all the Flyers goals coming from the top two lines, with Seth Jones down the Jackets have no answer for a teams top line, Zibenajad and Kreider owned the Jackets the other night. They did the same with Buffalo in an OT loss, no answer for Eichel/Olofsson. Just not enough at this point so unless they are willing to go all in again as they did last year the Jackets will probably start fading. Like I mentioned, I dont want it to happen, they just dont have enough.

37 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

I would have to say Flyers 4 Jackets 2 with all the Flyers goals coming from the top two lines, with Seth Jones down the Jackets have no answer for a teams top line, Zibenajad and Kreider owned the Jackets the other night. They did the same with Buffalo in an OT loss, no answer for Eichel/Olofsson. Just not enough at this point so unless they are willing to go all in again as they did last year the Jackets will probably start fading. Like I mentioned, I dont want it to happen, they just dont have enough.

I'm hoping for a regulations win for both teams in this home and home series. Hopefully the Pens could take 4 points from the Maple Leafs.

these two games are "must-wins"; not even just from the standings perspective. i think we should be able to accurately gauge the makeup of the team,: their desire to win, their skill level, their tenacity, their give-a-****-edness, their leadership, and their killer instinct to take advantage of a wounded, but important opponent. a come-from-behind victory won't be satisfactory for me. that being said, I predict a 5-3 win after being down 3-0 in the first 12 minutes of the game.

1 minute ago, Freddy the 13th said:

I think the Flyers are going to pick up at least one of our Ducks.  Ondrei Kase would fit in great.

That would be amazing, could join his brother who plays for the Flyers AHL team. Is he RFA come June or what?

• Thanks 1