Game 61: Flyers at Blue Jackets: 2/20/20 @ 7 PM

Howie58

Greetings:

The odds makers appear to give a mild edge to the O and B:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-columbus-odds-february-20-2020-1163836

That said, Nationwide has been a house of horrors (2-13 over the last 15).  CBJ is banged up and last night's win may have been easier than we thought playing against a lot of AHL call-ups.  Regardless--every point counts.

• Like 1

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUPS (subject to change, will be updated)

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
49 Joel Farabee - 13 Kevin Hayes - 11 Travis Konecny
25 James van Riemsdyk - 21 Scott Laughton - 18 Tyler Pitlick
12 Michael Raffl - 82 Connor Bunnaman - 62 Nicolas Aube-Kubel

9 Ivan Provorov - 15 Matt Niskanen
6 Travis Sanheim -5 Phil Myers
8 Robert Hägg - 61 Justin Braun

37 Brian Elliott
79 Carter Hart

Power Play 1: Giroux, Couturier, Konecny, Voracek, Provorov.
Power Play 2: JVR, Hayes, Farabee, Sanheim, Niskanen.

Scratches: 53 Shayne Gostisbehere (knee), 59 Mark Friedman (healthy).

LTIR: 55 Sam Morin (torn ACL, out for season), 23 Oskar Lindblom (Ewing sarcoma, out for season), 19 Nolan Patrick (migraines).

BLUE JACKETS

14 Gustav Nyquist - 11 Kevin Stenlund - 52 Emil Bemström
24 Nathan Gerbe - 38 Boone Jenner - 71 Nick Foligno
22 Sonny Milano - 18 Pierre-Luc Dubois - 28 Oliver Björkstrand
50 Eric Robinson - 28 Riley Nash - 50 Jakob Lilja

8 Zach Werenski - 65 Markus Nutivaara
44 Vladislav Gavrikov - 58 David Savard
4 Scott Harrington - 2 Andrew Peake

90 Elvis Merzlikins
[80 Matīss Kivlenieks]

Power Play 1: Foligno, Dubois, Björkstrand, Bemström, Werenski
Power Play 2: Nyquist, Jenner, Milano, Stenlund, Nutivaara

Scratches: 53 Gabriel Carlsson (healthy), 70 Joonas Korpisalo (AHL conditioning assigments).

IR: 3 Seth Jones (ankle surgery on Feb. 9, out 8-to-10 weeks), 10 Alexander Wennberg (upper body, Feb. 1, out 3-4 weeks), 13 Cam Atkinson (sprained ankle on Feb. 9, out 2-to-3 weeks), 17 Brandon Dubinsky (wrist, Sep. 24), 27 Ryan Murray (upper body, Dec. 13), 42 Alexandre Texier (lumbar stress fracture, Dec. 31), 46 Dean Kukan (torn knee meniscus, Jan. 2), 77 Josh Anderson (shoulder, Dec. 13).

I hope Elliott is up for the task the Flyers really need these two points tonight and the chance to put more space between them and the Isles, Canes and Jackets.

Can he will he??

He seems to be the better road goalie with a 10-5- 2 record.

I guess since he is a vet and Hart is still working on the mental side of the game.

Just win in regulation.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hope Elliott is up for the task the Flyers really need these two points tonight and the chance to put more space between them and the Isles, Canes and Jackets.

I disagree with AV's choice to go with Elliot.  I understand the home and away numbers but at some point you are going to have to ride your #1 goalie to get him ready for the playoffs.  Or maybe, AV's plan is to go with the tandem in the playoffs.   Not sure that's a good idea.    When was the last time a goalie tandem did well in the playoffs? 

5 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I disagree with AV's choice to go with Elliot.  I understand the home and away numbers but at some point you are going to have to ride your #1 goalie to get him ready for the playoffs.  Or maybe, AV's plan is to go with the tandem in the playoffs.   Not sure that's a good idea.    When was the last time a goalie tandem did well in the playoffs? 

I understand but remember Hart is coming off an injury so it may be smart to rest him now and Elliott hasn't played in 9 days need some work to keep him sharp due to him being 34 and he should be ok he has already beat Columbus twice this year when they were at full strength or close to it.

I don't want to wear Hart down before the playoffs start if they get in so i understand they should be able to beat the Jackets with Elliott in net.

Then come back with Hart vs Jets then Sharks tuesday and Rangers on friday that will give Hart 3 games spread over 7 days.

Then if he looks like he is doing good Hart vs Rangers on March 1st.

Then the next back to backs on 4th and 5th vs Caps then Canes decide how you want to play those two.

The good news only two more back to backs to finish the season left.

I get it (starting elliott), but don't particularly like it. What I like is when the players play to their max every game like they do in NHL 2013, which coincidentally is also the only place the flyers have won a stanley cup in my lifetime.

Elliott should be able to handle this start and I expect him to win.

Edited by mkscrewy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mkscrewy said:

Elliott should be able to handle this start and I expect him to win.

He's already beaten them twice this year one more time isn't asking to much.

I will miss the first half of the game. I just hope they win in regulation.