JVR--Broken Hand

Howie58

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

JVR  broke his hand blocking a shot tonight.  There's no word on how long he will be out.  Farabee comes up to take his place.  

https://news.yahoo.com/flyers-lose-james-van-riemsdyk-015305358.html

Bad timing. I broke my hand once. Was in a cast for two months. After the cast came off, it took about 1-2 months to rebuild the muscles and regain the mobility in my hand. 

I realize NHL players have 24/7 doctors working on them, and they're probably dipped in water filled tanks a la Star Wars to heal at 2x the rate of normal humans, but even still.... he's done for the season if that's the case. 

While I think JVR brings big empty net and finishing goals like a 5th goal in a 5-1 victory, he has been providing more than Farabee has in the past couple months.    JVR has played 17 more games and has 20 more points.  

Maybe this break will light a fire under Joel and we'll see a rejuvenated player.

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

This is clear karmic punishment for JVR for not fighting when it was 5-1 vs the Rangers.

Totally agree. Your insight is unparalleled 

This could be the best thing he's done to help the team since being drafted

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Lol, both, just to be safe. I do think it's pretty funny you telling your wife about an internet stranger's unparalleled insight.

I already know her response...."you're an idiot"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digityman said:

While I think JVR brings big empty net and finishing goals like a 5th goal in a 5-1 victory, he has been providing more than Farabee has in the past couple months.    JVR has played 17 more games and has 20 more points.  

Maybe this break will light a fire under Joel and we'll see a rejuvenated player.

I don't think Farabee needs a fire lit...I think he just needs some time to learn the pro game. I'm pretty confident he ends up being a better player than JVR at everything other than goal scoring. And even that's up for grabs.

• Like 1

The problem I see with Farabee is he looks like he is pressing too much. This makes sense, and is a credit to the kid. He wants to make the team and stay. But with the way they are playing right now, I'm not sure a young kid trying to stay poised is the best option.

I guess we will see

JvR when he got hurt was playing the way we all knew he could but were frustrated because he wouldn't.

He was good on the forecheck, he was adequate in his own zone and was making the safe play to exit the puck, he was strong and dogged on the puck & was seeing the ice well and was making plays.   He was using his weird stride to stretch defenses. He was playing the best hockey of his Flyers career( except for that one time 10 years ago against Boston), when he got hurt doing a detail thing. 

It's too bad, his 2nd go 'round has been marred by injury he was decent last year once he got healthy but I think the second half of this season he was the best version of himself. 

He was a big reason our 3rd line has been so good recently. He's an easy guy to hate here, since January the hate has been unwarranted. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

6 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I don't think Farabee needs a fire lit...I think he just needs some time to learn the pro game.

It will help to be back on the LW to he had been playing the right side for a while before he was sent down.

The one thing he does do better than JVR for sure is he is much more involved in his own end and away from the puck all he needs is some puck luck getting the puck in the net.

Farabee, Grant and Pitlick should be a very good hustle line. We may see a very good down low cycle game tonight.

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

JvR when he got hurt was playing the way we all knew he could but were frustrated because he wouldn'

I never knew "he could". Like many I've watched him since he came unto the league. He has always been lazy and never reached the hype of a 2nd overall pick. The only time ive seen him play good was when he was in Toronto.

The last few games I saw some things that showed him buying into the team game. I attribute that to him having no choice and seeing others doing the same.  Guilt by association if you will.

I have no confidence, assuming he didnt get hurt, that it would continue 

4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I never knew "he could". Like many I've watched him since he came unto the league. He has always been lazy and never reached the hype of a 2nd overall pick. The only time ive seen him play good was when he was in Toronto.

The last few games I saw some things that showed him buying into the team game. I attribute that to him having no choice and seeing others doing the same.  Guilt by association if you will.

He had been playing some what better but let's be honest he has always been a streaky guy...in the last 7 games he only has 2 points.

Some it's not like they are just missing a traditional 30 goal scorer.

I think Joel will help generate some better offensive chances than JVR really would....Joel will actually go into the corner and fetch the puck himself instead of looking for someone else to do and and just finding a offensive pass option.

He thinks the game real well and can actually help on the PK too.

6 minutes ago, CoachX said:

He had that series vs Boston in the playoffs where he was nearly unstoppable. I'm sure you saw that while observing him

He never reached that level of play again for our side. This is what I was talking about.  When I said "could"

His recent play, regardless of what was motivating him, was as close as he's been to that level of play for the Flyers.

That player is a pretty good player. He'll be missed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

You thought he was great then...catch him tonight!

Lol.

You just know this teasing is gonna bite us in the asss eh? Like,  we'll lose 9-1 to the Canes, Farabee will be minus 6, and it will send us into a 12 game death spiral of losing, miss the playoffs by one point. 

17 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Lol.

You just know this teasing is gonna bite us in the asss eh? Like,  we'll lose 9-1 to the Canes, Farabee will be minus 6, and it will send us into a 12 game death spiral of losing, miss the playoffs by one point. 

Then we can blame The Mole for getting hurt when he finally didn't totally suck.

I remember that Boston series and felt a little better not having Lindros because this young second overall pick would be someone who could although not be the complete package would at least show stages of dominance....unfortunately that hasn't fully materialize and was saddened at the outcome and hoping his trade would bring the Erasor to that aspect to our team. Neither players did and JVR is back and playing a lot better, but doesn't seem to want to get his paws wet at times. If he played like a tiger the fans would probably fall in love with him. But he chose to play like a quail in the beginning. But full disclosure he has been playing a lot better and his passing is pretty on point. The player has talent. Maybe it was his upbringing, But it's OK to show some anger is what I would tell him. As long as it's directed in a positive manner. Claim your space and concede when it's just not there.

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, intheslot said:

Now all we need is to play some hockey!!!  At least we'll be ready for next year.  Hopefully by then, they'll have Patrick figured out.