Round 1: Flyers vs Canadiens Thread

pilldoc

5 hours ago, Villette/Lavaux said:

Consequently, with the hope that Thursday Stars' game won't be scheduled on a decent time on the Papua-New Guinea timezone.  

10:30pm EST while only two games are scheduled on that day. Nice job, numbnutz !

(Sorry for polluting the current thread)

On 8/18/2020 at 2:27 PM, mkscrewy said:

Jake's goals so far seem to fit his preferred work ethic perfectly: exert the least amount of effort possible to achieve the desired result.

I don't see anything wrong with that actually...

8 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Thats embarrassing. Lazy, soft, stupid. Looked like Hakstols team. Captain is invisible. 

Yep, G needs to show up or we need a new Captain next year. He had one outstanding season and playoffs and Lavy called him the best player in the world (which he is/was not even close) and he never recovered. Still a solid player but not elite and maybe not worthy of wearing the C anymore. 

I guess this has a few angles.  Hart was outplayed by Price.  Our PP clicked but the even strength defense was unsound.  Gallagher set the tone early.  The Habs had nothing to lose and were committed.  

This is a game where healthy Lindbloms or Patricks might have made a difference.  Their youngins had pep in their step and were scrappy.  Farabee belongs.  Our other lines were invisible, and the seven million dollar man was benched.  We played well in the round robin, and here we are very inconsistent. Yes, per flyer4ever..Hakstol like.  I don't think this is an AV problem.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, trevluk said:

He had one outstanding season and playoffs and Lavy called him the best player in the world (which he is/was not even close)

And he'll that was 2011-12.

Back when he had 17 points in 10 playoff games.

Hell right now I would take just half that production.

Think about that...

20 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

The Habs had nothing to lose and were committed.  

Habs had everything to lose and they played like it.

I wish Giroux would come out the gates one time like Gallagher and take over a game even if it was just for one period...just one period.

He is the worst Captain in these playoffs...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Habs had everything to lose and they played like it.

I wish Giroux would come out the gates one time like Gallagher and take over a game even if it was just for one period...just one period.

He is the worst Captain in these playoffs...

I think the playoffs might determine if he remains a first line player for next year.  2017-18 might have been his Indian Summer.  We'll see.  

• Good Post 1

6 hours ago, Howie58 said:

This is a game where healthy Lindbloms or Patricks might have made a difference. 

Howie, I like this and it was a good reminder of how much skill the Flyers have on the beach just waiting for next year.   

• Like 1

I know Voracek accounted for the scoring last night, but he also caused the SHG by giving MTL the puck with the blind backhand toss to the middle of the ice after missing G's cross ice pass, wiped out a PP with a penalty, and ended at least 2 offensive zone pressures being careless with the puck.

It's great that he scored, but it's certainly not a case of finally being rewarded with goals for his strong play.  On top of that, I had to hear Clement keep telling me Voracek "was dancing" on his skates.

Maybe that's why he kept giving the puck up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I am not liking Bunnaman and Thompson together.

This was good in game 5 not so good in game 6

I hated the 4-3 go-ahead goal. First time questioning the coach, I know what he was thinking with Thompson's line there, but 4th line and bottom pairing together was not wise and the resulting 18 seconds on the ice proved that point.

Hart played alright, I'm sure he would have like the 2nd Armia goal back. Interesting where he is shooting on Hart, they are trying to bank off the helmet from those steep angles. Carter is a pretty fierce competitor, I hope the helmet tap from Suzuki helps give him a little extra focus in game 6.

Also looks like no Niskanen for Friday. Freidman? Ghost...? 

I'll be ready for the Flyers to be finished playing this Canadiens team, I hope they bring the good ju-ju on Friday and the stick hold and pick fest can resume in 20/21

Edited by mojo1917

10 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Thats embarrassing. Lazy, soft, stupid. Looked like Hakstols team. Captain is invisible. 

Played less than 17 minutes, I wonder what was going on there ?

2 assists and minus one last night, not great, he's not your cup of tea but he's got 4 points in 5 games.

You want Bobby Clarke but he's 70-

the lack of ice time is it a message or is it an injury, is it Grant is not the right pivot for him?

I thought last night was a missed opportunity.

Clarke at 70 would battle harder for loose pucks than 14 and 28. They are supposed to be the leaders of the team. They got pushed around last night by a group of trolls. Its the playoffs. You give it all every shift. Thats supposed to be the Flyer way.                 

3 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Clarke at 70 would battle harder for loose pucks than 14 and 28.

No he wouldn't- he would stroke out- Be real.

By bringing up REC, I was being understanding regarding your perspective. So I asked a question, which you chose not to answer.

As a consensus builder I find this lack of cognitive elasticity frustrating. I know soft, trolls, no fights....that's not what's happening in 2020. 

Niskanen gets to sit with DoPS because he knocked Gallagher's teeth out. So now we're maybe missing our #2 D-man. 

But I'll ask again, What do you think was behind the lack of ice time? Any thoughts on that?

He was actually pretty effective when he was out there. 

Very good on the PP last night, pretty creative with the bank passes off the boards from the half-wall, that opened the seams in the Montreal PK box up. 

1 minute ago, tucson83 said:

you think they should bench 14 and 28?

No, only an idiot does that.

I don't think Vigneault is an idiot. 

The lines were split up last night, 93, 14, 12 was a line for much of the night. 

Giroux was with Grant and Laughton. Which..I don't know why that wasn't better. Grant seems to be fighting the puck,  but they just didn't see the ice very much last night. I don't know who they were matched with or if that's even a thing in this series. It felt like Thompson's line was out a lot and was on their heels for 60% of their time. That line wasn't very effective. 

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

This was good in game 5 4 not so good in game 6 5

Fixed it for you.

First time questioning the coach, I know what he was thinking with Thompson's line there, but 4th line and bottom pairing together was not wise and the resulting 18 seconds on the ice proved that point.

I agree.

I'm not sure about anyone else but i feel Braun has been dogging quiet to often.

His lack of speed to pucks in his own end is getting exposed and i think it is time to sit him.

Let's see how Hagg and Ghost look i think those two may make a better bottom pair and may give Ghost his last shot to ever make this team again. Braun and Ghost was not very good and now Braun and Hagg leave a lot to be desired.

So i vote let's try Ghost and Hagg again.

Also looks like no Niskanen for Friday.

Just woke up and hadn't seen that what happened??

I would go with Friedman and sit Braun too but guess we'll see what AV does Friedman is very smart and mobile and brings some grit to the backend it think he will be a solid addition if they give him the nod. He played top pair on the Phantoms and yes i know this isn't the AHL but for the sake of not messing with Sanheim and Myers i would try it.

Ivan - Friedman

Sanheim - Myers

Ghost - Hagg

See what happens.

1 hour ago, eleven24 said:

It's great that he scored, but it's certainly not a case of finally being rewarded with goals for his strong play.

I have to agree with you but to not single out the heartless uninspired leader on the ice is interesting...making over 8 mill a season and seems by his play he would rather be anywhere but in Toronto....i mean AV has already dropped him to the 3rd line and still haven't seen an improvement in his desire and hustle sure i know his skills are eroding but he still has his speed but he just isn't using it.

Never seen he has wore the orange and black have i seen Claude so indifferent to playing hockey.

It is time next year to give Coots the C. Claude has lost his love for the game it looks like most nights. And he has two ore years left on the books....yikes.

10 minutes ago, tucson83 said:

you think they should bench 14 and 28?

I would put 28 on the 4th line then if he doesn't play more inspired hockey he would join JVR and finally learn the popping secrets handed down by Andrew Macdonald himself...i am sick and tired of it.

And then when i watch other teams play it is so obvious what is missing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Niskanen gets to sit with DoPS because he knocked Gallagher's teeth out. So now we're maybe missing our #2 D-man. 

How did i miss this i guess there was a huge stretch were i was disgusted with their play and i got up and was doing something around the house with the wife i forget but she loses bugging me when i am watching hockey...it's her favorite time to "Hey honey come give me a hand..."

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I have to agree with you but to not single out the heartless uninspired leader on the ice is interesting...making over 8 mill a season and seems by his play he would rather be anywhere but in Toronto....i mean AV has already dropped him to the 3rd line and still haven't seen an improvement in his desire and hustle sure i know his skills are eroding but he still has his speed but he just isn't using it.

I pointed out Voracek because his carelessness with the puck was noticeable.  I'd have said the same about Giroux, but I can't remember any time in this series that he's actually had possession of the puck long enough to even make a bad play.  Can't remember any Giroux hit, seeing him in hard on the forecheck, or being any kind of presence.  The only recollection I have of Giroux is at the top of the left circle on the PP, missing the net with shots or trying to thread the cross ice pass through too many defenders.

Honestly, I'm tired of key moments in games arising waiting for the Captain to lift his team up.  I know it's not happening.

I think it's time to trade G and Voracek.  Just roll with the youth.

4 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

I pointed out Voracek because his carelessness with the puck was noticeable.  I'd have said the same about Giroux, but I can't remember any time in this series that he's actually had possession of the puck long enough to even make a bad play.  Can't remember any Giroux hit, seeing him in hard on the forecheck, or being any kind of presence.  The only recollection I have of Giroux is at the top of the left circle on the PP, missing the net with shots or trying to thread the cross ice pass through too many defenders.

Honestly, I'm tired of key moments in games arising waiting for the Captain to lift his team up.  I know it's not happening.

I think it's time to trade G and Voracek.  Just roll with the youth.

Well played sir well played at least i'm not alone...

• Like 1