Tim Thomas Skips White House Visit

Guest The Quigster

@Podein25 - quote from that article:

"But yesterday was not about politics and government until Thomas made it about politics and government".

Bingo. But now that I think about it, if Thomas is so opposed to our federal government (ours, not yours) then he should probably refuse to play in Washington DC. I'm sure Caps fans would support him in his crusade.

Maybe I'm just too cycnical, but everything is always about politics and government all the time for these guys.

Yeah, I agree. You assume everyone knows the Presidents name, and they probably do. But that doesn't stop these guys from taking each and every opportunity they can to promote themselves. It's like a drug. Under your theory, why would the President need to spend probably $1 billion - no exaggeration - by the end of this 2012 campaign? He's already in the news every day. But that's my point. This is just another opportunity for him to get on tv smiling and shaking hands. This is free media coverage. Bonus. Benefit. I don't know that someone won't vote for Obama because he honored the Bruins. I'm not saying it's a bad thing for him to take advantage of this free coverage. Good for him. But don't kid yourself that these types of events aren't done for self-promotion purposes.

Actually, at this point I think the president has to do this. Every president since who knows when has invited Super Bowl champs, WS champs, Olympic gold medalists, etc... to the White House. Obama doesn't want to be the guy who breaks the tradition (worthless as it may or may not be) and says, "screw the Bruins, nobody cares about hockey anyway. I'm gonna go play basketball". Of course politicians are in the business of self-promotion but most Americans probably wouldn't even have known that this particular event was happening until Thomas made it a story. Heck, I live in Boston (well, right outside) and I didn't even know they were doing it.

I gotta say I fully support Thomas' decision if he decided not to go for political reasons. Saying that it's not the right time to do it is exactly why it's the best time to do it.

If Thomas wanted to maximize visibility to his issue, then he succeeded.

If I was Thomas, I'd have gone. But, he didn't hurt or inconvenience anyone else by his actions. And, he did what he thought was right. Also, I dunno if Neely should have said anything about it.

This thread is really rolling.

My 2 cents: I support TT's decision. He isn't making a statement against the President specifically, he is making a statement as a US citizen against the entire US government. Maybe he didn't want to put on a face and smile and go to the White House while he feels so strongly about this.

The time and place for him to make this statement was perfect. It was a very subtle, non-aggressive statement. It was great. Good for TT for caring about something enough to stand up for it.

Actually, at this point I think the president has to do this. Every president since who knows when has invited Super Bowl champs, WS champs, Olympic gold medalists, etc... to the White House. Obama doesn't want to be the guy who breaks the tradition (worthless as it may or may not be) and says, "screw the Bruins, nobody cares about hockey anyway. I'm gonna go play basketball". Of course politicians are in the business of self-promotion but most Americans probably wouldn't even have known that this particular event was happening until Thomas made it a story. Heck, I live in Boston (well, right outside) and I didn't even know they were doing it.

All good points.

If I was Thomas, I'd have gone. But, he didn't hurt or inconvenience anyone else by his actions. And, he did what he thought was right. Also, I dunno if Neely should have said anything about it.

Thomas wasn't invited to the White House. The Boston Bruins team was invited to the White House.

The owner specifically asked on several occasions for Thomas to be present with his teammates. The team obviously wanted him to go. The people who WERE INVITED were "inconvenienced" by his decision to showboat and when you have your owner practically begging you to go, it just might "hurt" when you virtually spit in his face.

His absence - as the Conn Smythe/Vezina winner - was obviouly going to attract attention. What do you think Neely should have said when the question was inevitably asked?

If Bryzgalov didn't attend a team funciton of this nature, he'd be roasted. ROASTED.

I'm disappointed in Thomas, and not for his political views. I'm disappointed that Thomas would do that to his teammates.

@flyercanuck

good catch. Wow maybe this can be the new nhl rumor. It makes sense.....

Time to put the Mike Richards and Jeff Carter pill popping rumors to bed. New NHL rumor, Tim Thomas hates African Americans. No scratch that. Tim Thomas hates all people not of the same shade as him.....

According to this website: http://news.harvard..../09-racism.html Boston is still one of America's most racist cities.

This is why TT plays in Beantown?????

Not that I need to add this, but I am of course joking around....

Edited by Bertmega

I, personally, am hoping that this turns into a MAJOR distraction for the Bruins. Strictly from a "hockey" perspective :-)

Imagine the questions the media is going to put to him:

"Are you a member of the Tea Party?"

"Do you dispute that climate change is caused by humans?"

"If you are against the government, why did you go to the Olympics?"

"Who specifically do you think is endangering the people's Liberty and how?"

This could get pretty uncomfortable for him.

Thomas wasn't invited to the White House. The Boston Bruins team was invited to the White House.

The owner specifically asked on several occasions for Thomas to be present with his teammates. The team obviously wanted him to go. The people who WERE INVITED were "inconvenienced" by his decision to showboat and when you have your owner practically begging you to go, it just might "hurt" when you virtually spit in his face.

His absence - as the Conn Smythe/Vezina winner - was obviouly going to attract attention. What do you think Neely should have said when the question was inevitably asked?

If Bryzgalov didn't attend a team funciton of this nature, he'd be roasted. ROASTED.

I'm disappointed in Thomas, and not for his political views. I'm disappointed that Thomas would do that to his teammates.

Please. It's a visit to the white house. It's not like he skipped a childrens cancer event. I am pretty sure his teammates will be just fine. Hopefully they support him and his constitutional rights. If not, they aren't very good teammates.

Sure, all true.. but he's not trying to live up to your standards of 'maturity' and 'honour'. He's living up to his own. Did Richards handle the media in a 'mature' 'captain-like' way during the Great Freeze Out of 2010? Not by my standards, but then he's not living by my standards. So we can all sit here and point the finger and judge - whether supporting Thomas' actions or not - but he wasn't trying to 'please' any of us.

it's not *my* standard of maturity and honor... when will we all be on the same page of reality here. it's very clearly not the time or place to take this type of stance. regardless of his beliefs(which, again... i happen to agree with), this was a selfish act. it was a TEAM event which is a time honored tradition across just about every sport.

for those of you who are excusing it as his 'right'... his prerogative, or whatever, i can't help but get the feeling that those standing up for him lean very far to the right of politics and see it as more of an 'against obama' stance. in that light, reason, maturity... what have you... seem to become very subjective.

he had the chance to say something about what he feels directly to the most powerful guy in the free world. i think that would have been a much better of a stance to take, without alienating his team or teammates. that or just stfu and call out sick.

tim thomas is hereby declared a douche... there it is.

it's not *my* standard of maturity and honor... when will we all be on the same page of reality here. it's very clearly not the time or place to take this type of stance. regardless of his beliefs(which, again... i happen to agree with), this was a selfish act. it was a TEAM event which is a time honored tradition across just about every sport.

for those of you who are excusing it as his 'right'... his prerogative, or whatever, i can't help but get the feeling that those standing up for him lean very far to the right of politics and see it as more of an 'against obama' stance. in that light, reason, maturity... what have you... seem to become very subjective.

he had the chance to say something about what he feels directly to the most powerful guy in the free world. i think that would have been a much better of a stance to take, without alienating his team or teammates. that or just stfu and call out sick.

tim thomas is hereby declared a douche... there it is.

Certainly a reasonable assumption, but couldn't be further from the truth in my case :)

Obama doesn't want to be the guy who breaks the tradition (worthless as it may or may not be)

HOLY sh!t!!! Now that is hilarious....now if you actually go back and look at my first post with your "Sarcasm Detector", I finished the I would vote for TT with a ;) .....I agree with his right to not go but it was a straight forward joke after that about him running for office. I guess this site really does need a sarcasm font.....

he had the chance to say something about what he feels directly to the most powerful guy in the free world. i think that would have been a much better of a stance to take, without alienating his team or teammates.

Really?!?! You think his team mates and the owners would have been happy with him giving them a black eye by showing up and dissing the president............I don't think i can agree with you on that one. He would have been told to play nice and this is not the time or place for this discussion........

HOLY sh!t!!! Now that is hilarious....now if you actually go back and look at my first post with your "Sarcasm Detector", I finished the I would vote for TT with a ;) .....I agree with his right to not go but it was a straight forward joke after that about him running for office. I guess this site really does need a sarcasm font.....

My bad, the battery died on my sarcasm detector.