Well that didn't take long ...... Laine Benched

pilldoc

2 hours ago, radoran said:

If he's smart - he'll learn from it and from Torts. He said that's what he wanted when he came in. This is accountability for that.

(That said, he does have three goals in four games before PLD took a shift in WPG :D )

And he would deserve it. The question is whether or not the player learns from it. In the 'Peg I think he was shoved down in the lineup, not really benched per se.

This is a big deal for both the player and the franchise.

Not sure if coaching was why he was shoved down the lineup. One of his complaints was "Scheifele likes playing with Wheeler more than me" and apparently they were "rude" to him in the locker room.

I keep thinking of that Byfuglien shout at Laine when he was coasting and Byfuglien was looking for a breakout pass "YOU GOTTA MOVE"

18 minutes ago, radoran said:

As an RFA, I'm pretty sure keeping up that sort of play gets you a free trip to Omsk.

You can see Kazakhstan from there!

If that's the case then a Finnish to Russian dictionary is going to be a must .......

Лайне двигай задницей и катайся на коньках, иначе ты будешь неделю разгребать снег.

15 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Absolutely agree .... heck even in little league baseball I made one of our star players run laps because he was dog-in-it .... he never made that mistake again .....

lol. I am old and cannot move like I did 10 years ago. Certainly not like I could when i was 18 over 23 years ago.

Every year, we have a Hospitality softball tournament between all the Hotels and Convention staff. I played for the Marriott for 4 years before I started my new job at the convention center in 2017. One thing was certain. I could barely walk the next day EVERY YEAR. Mostly due to refusing to accept I am old and out of shape. After the first year, i actually started wearing knee pads every year because I was so busted up. I also went a bought a cup and cleats after the first year because the games start at 8:30AM and the grass was covered in Mildew and sneakers are incredibly stupid to play in.

There was a point in that day where I hit a grounder and was running to first and faceplanted 6 feet away from 1st  when my sneakers slid on the dirt like it was oil. The other team yelled "FOUL. No sliding in Softball" and the ref yelled back "guys, he just fell on his face. look at the skid mark where his shoe flew off haha". Also, despite trying to stop every grounder, realizing I did not have a cup really affects your posture after you take one in the beanbag. I ended up shoving an extra T-shirt down my shorts for protection and looked ridiculous.

I always end up at shortstop or 2nd or 3rd base. Not many people on the team willing to get in front of the ball or dive to stop a grounder and take it in the face if it bounces bad. I am not only willing. I am stupid. I weigh 220 pounds now. I had last played baseball when I was 18 and weighed 140 pounds. My God does that make a difference when you try to dive to stop a grounder. IT HURTS when you land. Especially when you miss the grounder by like 3 feet and then have to get up and chase it into the outfield.

My mind keeps remembering things I could do when i was 18. My body does not cooperate

The last year I played, Grant, who was the head guy at scotiabank center at the time, kinda scolded me for constantly diving for the ball and failing to actually get the ball lol. "stop trying so hard jesus. Nobody else is"

I am just not wired that way. I can't not give 100%. And I do not understand when others don't either. Since it is a charity game for the IWK children's hospital, I don't care so much but i try to organize at least 1 practice.

I am the same when I am working. I am told "stop working so hard" by co workers. I just can't. Since that has been rewarded by job perks and recognition, I also do not think I should stop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Are writers for The Athletic just glorified fan bloggers?
I thought those guys were supposed to be professional.

Apparently, a Blue Jackets writer for The Athletic, Aaron Portzline, is suggesting that Tortorella PURPOSELY benched Laine so that Torts himself could get himself out of Columbus.

That is the most ridiculous click bait nonsense I've ever read.... well, aside from some other equally nonsense conspiracy theorists here in good ol Minneapolis/ST. Paul.... and now, they have the guy on NHL Network, and he is saying that a guy like Laine is embarrassed by a move like being benched, and that Tortorella is doing what he does to make the players "better" by this experience....

So this Aaron Portzline sounds like he is talking out of both sides of his chees puff eating mouth then?
So, it was just click bait to tweet about Torts wanting out of Columbus himself, but then goes on the air and says something completely different?

Laine SHOULD be embarrassed. That is part of the point. The seemingly desperate Athletic writer is contradicting himself. Guess you do those sorts of things when you are wanting bad enough for people to read your "articles".

Torts is on the last year of his contract. 
I don't see Torts doing ANYTHING but the very best he can for this team, whether it steps on toes or not, as long as he is there.
He isn't the type of guy that "goes through the motions". I think we all know he wears his feelings on his sleeve....easily says what's on his mind, and if he doesn't want to say something, just tells people to go "stick it in their pocket".

Why would Torts want to hurt his own value by sabotaging himself in Columbus and getting himself purposely fired by doing things that he really doesn't believe in? Makes no sense to me.
Now, if Torts DOES get fired, fine. That may happen.
But it will be because the FO has decided they no longer like the way he is doing business....NOT because Torts is making decisions to purposely get himself canned.

Tortorella's job, as long as he is there, is to have the Jackets winning now.
He doesn't have time to coddle Laine or anyone else in order to achieve that.
Laine himself has said he wants to work hard to be a better player....well, he can consider his benching part of his lessons from a master teacher in the subject....whom Laine may not even have for much longer, even if Torts finishes out his contract this season.

Obviously, I don't know what is going on behind the scenes of Columbus, but if the coach feels benching a star player is a means to an end, then I am with him.
And the credibility of these wannabe big time writers disguised as 'pro bloggers' continues to dwindle for me.
Seems many of these guys have more an interest in keeping themselves relevant rather than finding and reporting on actual news items.

17 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

My mind keeps remembering things I could do when i was 18. My body does not cooperate

My first day out on the slopes on a ski weekend: WOOO HOOO! I'M INVINCIBLE

The next two days: "why don't my knees bend?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, radoran said:

This is why I haven't yet traded him off my FHL. Saddle up!

If Torts can't kick some sense into him, he's simply not long for the league.

I'd say at best a bridge deal for probably less than he's making now and then the Omsk option.

Yes, Patrik, that is Jesse Puljujarvi (2Y, $2.35M) on the phone...

Thing is, Laine can play a complete 200' game for 60 mins on occasion. There's no evidence that he can string that together on a reasonably consistent basis. And since Torts demands it every shift of every game, that's a problem for young Patrick. I wish him the best of luck. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

lol. I am old and cannot move like I did 10 years ago. Certainly not like I could when i was 18 over 23 years ago.

Every year, we have a Hospitality softball tournament between all the Hotels and Convention staff. I played for the Marriott for 4 years before I started my new job at the convention center in 2017. One thing was certain. I could barely walk the next day EVERY YEAR. Mostly due to refusing to accept I am old and out of shape. After the first year, i actually started wearing knee pads every year because I was so busted up. I also went a bought a cup and cleats after the first year because the games start at 8:30AM and the grass was covered in Mildew and sneakers are incredibly stupid to play in.

There was a point in that day where I hit a grounder and was running to first and faceplanted 6 feet away from 1st  when my sneakers slid on the dirt like it was oil. The other team yelled "FOUL. No sliding in Softball" and the ref yelled back "guys, he just fell on his face. look at the skid mark where his shoe flew off haha". Also, despite trying to stop every grounder, realizing I did not have a cup really affects your posture after you take one in the beanbag. I ended up shoving an extra T-shirt down my shorts for protection and looked ridiculous.

I always end up at shortstop or 2nd or 3rd base. Not many people on the team willing to get in front of the ball or dive to stop a grounder and take it in the face if it bounces bad. I am not only willing. I am stupid. I weigh 220 pounds now. I had last played baseball when I was 18 and weighed 140 pounds. My God does that make a difference when you try to dive to stop a grounder. IT HURTS when you land. Especially when you miss the grounder by like 3 feet and then have to get up and chase it into the outfield.

The last year I played, Grant, who was the head guy at scotiabank center at the time, kinda scolded me for constantly diving for the ball and failing to actually get the ball lol. "stop trying so hard jesus. Nobody else is"

I am just not wired that way. I can't not give 100%. And I do not understand when others don't either. Since it is a charity game for the IWK children's hospital, I don't care so much but i try to organize at least 1 practice.

I am the same when I am working. I am told "stop working so hard" by co workers. I just can't. Since that has been rewarded by job perks and recognition, I also do not think I should stop.

great story ...LOL.

I last played competitive baseball 30+ yrs ago when I was in college. So I totally get ......  With my son soon to be 13 I'm assistant coach to his team.  After a 2 hr practice I'm beat. I'm north of 50 and still refuse to accept it.  LOL

Anyway ..great story! :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Are writers for The Athletic just glorified fan bloggers?
I thought those guys were supposed to be professional.

Apparently, a Blue Jackets writer for The Athletic, Aaron Portzline, is suggesting that Tortorella PURPOSELY benched Laine so that Torts himself could get himself out of Columbus.

Here's some quotes on what Portzline said in TSN690:

https://nhltradetalk.com/john-tortorella-trying-to-get-fired-by-blue-jackets/

From what I've seen of Portzline he seems to be a sensible guy. I think the interesting part is this:

“At times, I have this thought in the back of my mind that John Tortorella is almost wanting to be let go. That’s how I read some of these moves."

To me the key word here is "almost": Portzline seems to think Tortorella has conflicting wishes and is not in total control of them. Torts needs to be ready for the possibility of his term ending this season, and on the other hand do his best to mold CBJ the best he can. I don't think Portzline is right here, but on the other hand him thinking Torts might have conflicting wishes that would not be in Torts's total control is not that odd an idea to me. The way I see it, is that Torts just keeps doing what he does. Everyone is held accountable.

Came across this earlier today .... take it FWIW....

The Athletic: Patrik Laine was benched by coach John Tortorella after Laine “verbally disrespected” a member of the #CBJ

NHL_2021_Teams_CBJ.png
coaching staff, not because of repeated defensive lapses https://theathletic.com/2378807/2021/02/09/blue-jackets-patrik-laine-benched-because-he-verbally-disrespected-a-coach/

10 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Here's some quotes on what Portzline said in TSN690:

https://nhltradetalk.com/john-tortorella-trying-to-get-fired-by-blue-jackets/

From what I've seen of Portzline he seems to be a sensible guy. I think the interesting part is this:

“At times, I have this thought in the back of my mind that John Tortorella is almost wanting to be let go. That’s how I read some of these moves."

To me the key word here is "almost": Portzline seems to think Tortorella has conflicting wishes and is not in total control of them. Torts needs to be ready for the possibility of his term ending this season, and on the other hand do his best to mold CBJ the best he can. I don't think Portzline is right here, but on the other hand him thinking Torts might have conflicting wishes that would not be in Torts's total control is not that odd an idea to me. The way I see it, is that Torts just keeps doing what he does. Everyone is held accountable.

I think it's a "line in the sand" move where Torts is basically saying: 

"You either believe in ME and my coaching system or you believe in Laine's laissez faire approach to the game, but you can't have both."

5 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Came across this earlier today .... take it FWIW....

The Athletic: Patrik Laine was benched by coach John Tortorella after Laine “verbally disrespected” a member of the #CBJ

NHL_2021_Teams_CBJ.png
coaching staff, not because of repeated defensive lapses https://theathletic.com/2378807/2021/02/09/blue-jackets-patrik-laine-benched-because-he-verbally-disrespected-a-coach/

If this is true, it sounds like he's just a total piece of **** of a teammate. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

If this is true, it sounds like he's just a total piece of **** of a teammate. 

If true ...he could find himself out of a job.  No player, as gifted as he is, is worth this much aggravation ........

Laine, Blue Jackets put benching behind them (nhl.com)

According to this, Torts and Laine have put the benching behind them.
Both are saying all the right things to the media.

I for one, hope they have.
I'd rather watch competitiveness come out of Columbus than drama.

Merging the talents of Laine and Roslovic with the grinding core of the Blue Jackets, Columbus has a chance to not only make the playoffs, but make noise when there as well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'm so glad Toronto got Matthews and not Laine in that draft.  We dodged a bullet there.

This year, Laine is "on pace" for 82 goals in an 82-game season.

That would be a Leafs record and he should probably just be credited with it now, don't you think?

I mean, Matthews is just on pace for a measly 70.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, radoran said:

This year, Laine is "on pace" for 82 goals in an 82-game season.

That would be a Leafs record and he should probably just be credited with it now, don't you think?

I mean, Matthews is just on pace for a measly 70.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

If he can do it for 56 games this season then I'll extend it out over 82 just like with Matthews.  😃👍

I'm prorating everything to 82 games this season (minus injuries of course), just like I did last season, because it's the right thing to do.  To qualify for the full 82, a player would have to play in all 56 games. 

8 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

@WordsOfWisdom You're not going to pro-rate his usual 10-20 game injury period as well?

Nope. :) 

My formula for prorating stats is as follows:

Prorated Statistic = (Statistic / Games Played) x (Games Played / Total Games Available to be Played x 82)

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Nope. :) 

My formula for prorating stats is as follows:

Prorated Statistic = (Statistic / Games Played) x (Games Played / Total Games Available to be Played x 82)

Wendel Clark would have loved you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Wendel Clark would have loved you.

This is going off on a tangent, but come on HockeyDB.com! Clark plays ONE season for the Islanders and THAT'S the photo you choose for him? Not a photo of him in a Leafs jersey?  Come on!

clark.thumb.jpg.9f8e42eed045b554bf2357a01bd505fd.jpg

Now back to my formula.... Assuming I didn't mess anything up, let's see how it works with Clark (whose stats should remain unchanged):

1993-94 season let's say:

64 GP out of 82 GP total, 46 goals. 

Prorated goals = (46/64) x (64/82x82) = 46

Bingo. It works.  :)