Flyers Place Gostisbehere On Waivers

Digityman

45 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Part of me says this is cap clearing more than performance or signaling.

It is mostly that, because the cap is figured daily.

So that is why you see all the movement like we had seen in the past moving guys from the active roster to the taxi squad when there is no games to be played.

Chuckles is banking the cap space that will add up by the end of the year.

So it will increase his available cap space he has to work with when it comes to trading and taking contracts back as well as things you can even see yet that will also have to be accounted for with having so many kids on entry level contracts is performance bonuses.

They will have to be figure into the cap after the season and if you go over you get penalized on next year's cap.

So with LTIR and all they will have around 6.3 mill of space at the deadline. How will they use it well no one knows at this point.

27 minutes ago, CoachX said:

A move like this is a gamble, but i have to believe it is part of a calculated plan.

Exactly i know he has worked the phone and has tried to move him for anything he can but let's be honest not many teams want to trade assets for a 5th or 6th D man making 4.5 mill per season and knowing he can't even help this putrid defense....everyone knows Ghost is pretty much a one dimensional defenseman.

Then combined maybe being stuck with him for two for 4.5 mill per season and well now you can't even give him away....as i said we'll know his true value by noon if no one claims him for the measly $100 waiver pick up fee then they are stuck with him.

So if you want to move on at seasons end and the Kraken don't take him you have two options.

Buy him out. Or say pick up half his salary to move him...so maybe someone will take him for 2.25 mill per season. Maybe.

I hope the Florida Panthers claim him so he can go to his hometown and be with his family.

I like Ghost as a person as well as a player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Florida makes sense given Ekblad's fracture which keeps him out for what appears to be the regular season

Well there goes that.

I think they are stuck with him. Thanks Ron Hextall.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

I really don't recall many people objecting to this deal at the time and most, in fact, thought it was a pretty good extension.

Looking like it didn't turn out that way, but hindsight is always 20/20.

It looked like a great signing at the time.

• Like 3

Gostisbehere is a special player imho. Evidently I'm in the minority lol... But if he stays healthy his career may yet end up looking pretty great. Pair him with an established, stay-at-home defenseman .... too bad the Flyers don't have anyone who fits that description ... and he's a weapon the opposition will have to respect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

I really don't recall many people objecting to this deal at the time and most, in fact, thought it was a pretty good extension.

Looking like it didn't turn out that way, but hindsight is always 20/20.

No but my only concern at the time was him being a one dimensional player.

Before he inked that contract it to some of us that he is not very good in his own end combined with his dip in his production the year he signed the deal.

Then he has the 65 point season the first year of deal and some of us that worried were relieved and we thought crisis averted.

Or so we thought then he follows the 65 point season with a struggling season and suddenly at least for me well the concern was real.

And to confirm my worries he followed that by an even worse season.

And now here we are. To me it is no different than signing Jake to that terrible contract.

You trying to project guys and save some money in the long run and then well it backfires.

And now as many have stated is that Hayes contract might be the next big regret.

But i would love to get Jake's contract off the books to make that a little more tolerable.

I know highly unlikely no one wants our garbage....but us. Welcome to Flyer land.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It looked like a great signing at the time.

It did and then Ghost had the 65 points season and low and behold we thought Ron looked like a genius....my how time changes perspective.

1 minute ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Pair him with an established, stay-at-home defenseman

See i agree and this is where i feel the Flyers brass has failed him. And maybe someone has the perfect guy to pair him with.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

No but my only concern at the time was him being a one dimensional player.

Before he inked that contract it to some of us that he is not very good in his own end combined with his dip in his production the year he signed the deal.

Then he has the 65 point season the first year of deal and some of us that worried were relieved and we thought crisis averted.

Or so we thought then he follows the 65 point season with a struggling season and suddenly at least for me well the concern was real.

And to confirm my worries he followed that by an even worse season.

And now here we are. To me it is no different than signing Jake to that terrible contract.

You trying to project guys and save some money in the long run and then well it backfires.

And now as many have stated is that Hayes contract might be the next big regret.

But i would love to get Jake's contract off the books to make that a little more tolerable.

I know highly unlikely no one wants our garbage....but us. Welcome to Flyer land.

He has value as a player in the right situation - as @GratefulFlyersnotes.

He's clearly not what AV wants on his blueline, which isn't really something that could have been known prior. Hard to predict what a future coach under a different GM would want.

I had far more concerns about the Jake extension and the Hayes signing at the time than I did about Gotstobehere.

Thing is, if he's not going to be on PP1 his value drops significantly. 40 of his first 46 points, 25 of 39, and 40 of his 65 points were PPP. He's "special" in the terms of "special teams" special.

That said, I have no idea why they tried Morin at LW but wouldn't try to move Gotstobehere to forward...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

That said, I have no idea why they tried Morin at LW but wouldn't try to move Gotstobehere to forward...

Exactly. Actually mind blowing how many of us have been saying that for a couple years now???

But had they got a nice stay at home type guy they may have salvaged Ghost. In my eyes they failed to utilize an already existing asset.

In fact the Flyers still need that stay at home defenseman.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

the Flyers brass has failed him.

Fletcher certainly failed him by bringing in Gustaffson as a .... what? ... replacement for Niskanen? How he talked himself into that is beyond me. Gost's $4.5/year made sense at the time because his ceiling appeared to be unlimited...the injuries sidetracked him, now his coach doesn't want him...but he may still end up being a great player in the NHL.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

How he talked himself into that is beyond me.

Because he took the easy way out.

Gus was training in his homeland with Oskar and Hagg this offseason and well who knows Oskar and/or Hagg may have suggested it to him and Chuckles instead of doing his due diligence probably said f**k it and faxed him a contract.

4 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Gost's $4.5/year made sense at the time because his ceiling appeared to be unlimited.

Uh no....or not to me he struggled with defense at Union and he struggled when he was with the Flyers in his own end defending....and may offensive guy do....that is why most teams try to pair those guys with stay at home vets....the problem with that is the Flyers don't have any.

Just a bunch of kids trying to learn on the job.

And well Braun is not that type to be able to help for one reason he is soooo slow.

I seem to recall that until he signed Brett Burns, GM Doug Wilson of San Jose believed it was not in the best interests of the franchise to sign more than five years.  I think he is correct, particularly in the NHL, where the kind of contract adjustments you see in the NFL or NBA aren't available.  

I don't blame players or agents for wanting to maximize their income--that's human.  I might say the "problem" is a CBA that forces a buy-out late in the contract that may not help a franchise that much.  That's one guy's take.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But had they got a nice stay at home type guy they may have salvaged Ghost. In my eyes they failed to utilize an already existing asset.

In fact the Flyers still need that stay at home defenseman.

Morin is finally healthy and has all the raw materials you could ever want in a D-man. The least you can say about him is he's highly motivated and is working his ass off to play in the NHL. Gost is an ideal partner for him once he's a bit more seasoned. I think he's a quick enough skater to cover when Gost is on the attack.

But apparently the Flyers wouldn't take this one year - a year obviously going nowhere - and work with Morin/Gost as a D pair. If it was successful...well NHL GMs dream of having a combo like that on their back end.

I don't know...big changes have to happen the team just isn't gelling for whatever reason. Maybe moving out Gost is a good beginning but I sure would've started somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

But apparently the Flyers wouldn't take this one year - a year obviously going nowhere - and work with Morin/Gost as a D pair.

You never know if he goes unclaimed he could still play tonight with Sam.

Man that's gotta be harsh, getting waived, nobody wants you, then you're back on your old squad with everybody looking at you funny...ha!

I don't feel too sorry for anyone playing hockey and getting paid for it - esp huge money like pro NHLers. But he's in for an uncomfortable couple days if he stays put...which I guess he is now that it's 12:02.

• Like 1