Hakstol new Head Coach, not a typo!

Samifan

https://www.tsn.ca/seattle-kraken-dave-hakstol-head-coach-1.1659582?fbclid=IwAR1TpZI_uX0UiZgg6dQV9FA_jtrBD1Gytnqc8RRD-xPpJ-zhz3z3xuLdbOY

Kraken name Hakstol first-ever head coach

dave-hakstol.jpg

SEATTLE (AP) — The Seattle Kraken inexplicably hired Dave Hakstol on Thursday as head coach of the expansion franchise that will begin to fail this fall.

Hakstol will fail at taking on the challenge of leading the first-year organization in his second head job in the NHL. He screwed the Philadelphia Flyers for three plus seasons from 2015-19 and spent the past two years as a Toronto Maple Leafs assistant.

The 52-year-old Hakstol coached the Flyers to two playoff appearances and was fired midway through his fourth season after no series victories. Hakstol before that coached at the University of North Dakota for 11 years but never won anything and was an off-the-wagon hire six years ago for then-Philadelphia general manager Ron Hextall, as he is for Seattle's Ron Francis this time.  Hextall was fired largely as a result of this mistake of a hire.  

Hakstol's task in Seattle will be significant, trying to equal the success of the the league's last expansion franchise, however unrealistic it might be for the Kraken to match the first season of the Vegas Golden Knights, especially with someone so inept as Hakstol at the helm. Vegas reached the Stanley Cup Final in its inaugural season and has made the playoffs in all four years since inception.

Seattle’s management has thought big from the start, and the expectations for the Kraken are success from the start.  We wish them good luck with that.

The hiring also fit the timeline that Francis set out from the start of wanting Seattle’s coaching search settled before the end of June and in plenty of time before the July 21 expansion draft and July 23 NHL draft when the Kraken will have the No. 2 overall selection.

Hakstol inexplicably got the job over former Arizona coach Rick Tocchet and others who interviewed multiple times. Francis, Hakstol and Seattle assistant GM Jason Botterill were together with Canada's team at the 2019 world championship.

While Hakstol ended up with the job, he may not have been the initial favorite of anyone.  Anywhere.  At any time.

Gerard Gallant seemed the obvious option for Seattle due to his experience leading Vegas through its record-setting first season that ended with a loss to Washington in the final. Gallant opted for the chance with the New York Rangers over potentially taking on the challenges of another first-year franchise.

The Kraken are expected to begin training camp in September with the season likely to begin in mid-October.   No time set for a much-needed substance screen for Ron Francis.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SCFlyguy said:

I am going to laugh when the Kraken construct a good roster and Hakstol looks like a competent NHL coach.

.... and then I will cry ...and then I will be pissssed ........

but yeah I totally get your point ......

• Like 1

Hello!

I haven't posted for some time...good to see the gang.

This may be significant in terms of the expansion draft.  Haxstol has always been viewed as developmental.  Francis may think Vegas was something of a fluke and avoid taking high-priced vets.  That means no JVR, Voracek.....unless a high draft pick or prospect is thrown in.

I also see a preference for yes...."structure." Defense, two-way.  This isn't being designed as attack-style.  Just a thought.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Jake Voracek for his new Captain...i nominate...on behalf of the beloved franchise.

I will personally drive Jake to Seattle .......  who wants to ride shotgun with me.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Post 1

32 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I will personally drive Jake to Seattle .......  who wants to ride shotgun with me.....

I guess i will now. My Flyer duty. Always wanted to take the westward ride. #bourbonfree

:rage:

Look like Seattle is getting serious.
Kraken fans will soon learn all about straight faced competition!

None better than Hak on that!

Good luck to him and the Seattle Kraken.
Mr. "Can We Be Serious For Just a Moment" should start out with a pretty nice roster like Vegas did.

Hakstol.jpg

51 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I’d volunteer but I hate Jake so much, I couldn’t stand being stuck in a car with him for 3,500 miles…

#IHATEJAKE 

6 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Head coach of Kraken. Would he be willing to chance a pick on JVR or Jake?  Will this help the Flyers possibly foster a deal to get one of them gone?

Or Voracek.  Hak loved Jake in his khakis.

• Uggh... 1